Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

[Yahoo News] Windows 8 dropping the ability to play DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: [Yahoo News] Windows 8 dropping the ability to play DVDs

Well this is Microsoft's bad decision. But, I don't think we should fret at least until major computer hardware companies start putting out desktops and laptops without DVD-ROM drives.

(BTW, have they ever released desktops and/or laptops with BD-ROM drives? I've never been able to find one.)
Old 05-07-12, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Are people forgetting that Vista was the first MS OS which didn't force the user to dl a codec to enable DVD playback?
They sure seem to.
Old 05-07-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
They admitted in the article that its about the bottom line. All this crowing about DVD no longer being viable is because companies are taking active steps to *make it* no longer viable as a format so they can push for the the Next Big Thing [TM]. This is not the same phenomenon as VHS vs DVD 15 years ago.
If anything, it sounds like DVD is actually *too* viable--and the big companies painted themselves into a corner.
But let me guess....Windows 8 will be available in stores........on a DVD.
Old 05-07-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well this is Microsoft's bad decision. But, I don't think we should fret at least until major computer hardware companies start putting out desktops and laptops without DVD-ROM drives.

(BTW, have they ever released desktops and/or laptops with BD-ROM drives? I've never been able to find one.)
It's not about phasing out DVDs.

traditional media playback scenarios, optical media, and broadcast TV, require a specialized set of decoders (and hardware) that cost a significant amount in royalties." Windows 8 will allow customers the option to install a Windows Media Center upgrade to allow DVD playback at extra cost, though Microsoft is not saying exactly how high that cost will be.
It's going back to how it was before Vista.
Old 05-09-12, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

You could purchase Windows Media Center or use a free 3rd party application.
VLC, I do not even use Media Player, my point was just another company trying to act like DVDs are not something common people use.
Old 05-09-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
my point was just another company trying to act like DVDs are not something common people use.
Which is incorrect if you read the article. That's not the reason they said it, that's how they did it a couple versions ago and it's only going to be on some editions of 8.
Old 05-10-12, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Which is incorrect if you read the article. That's not the reason they said it, that's how they did it a couple versions ago and it's only going to be on some editions of 8.
Odd regardless of their reason, not that it really matters because there are one of a thousand programs out there that can run DVDs.
Old 05-10-12, 07:39 AM

Well this is Microsoft's bad decision.
The Gateway laptop (NV-5927) I bought a few years ago came with both a Blu-ray player and a HDMI output.
Old 05-12-12, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I have no issue with streaming. There are films I like to keep physical copies of. There are others I may want to see a few times a year even, but will not be fussy about.
Originally Posted by Xiroteus
Same here, netflix streaming or the library is great for series or a movie I do not care about owning. Not something I or appears you want for your favorites, not going to depend on them having what I want, where I want it and in the correct quality.

I agree. The TV Shows and Movies I care about the most, I'd rather have a physical copy. There are others I don't care about as much, and I will be fine with streaming or a Digital copy.
Old 05-12-12, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My laptop has a blu-ray drive. I don't understand people getting all mad about this. I have only used media player once. I was trying to watch Flintstones and there was a weird issue with the picture. It worked in media player. But that's just one movie out of about a thousand. Not a big thing. Just use PowerDVD and be done with it.
Old 05-17-12, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
My laptop has a blu-ray drive. I don't understand people getting all mad about this. I have only used media player once. I was trying to watch Flintstones and there was a weird issue with the picture. It worked in media player. But that's just one movie out of about a thousand. Not a big thing. Just use PowerDVD and be done with it.
Maybe just because it is odd, doubt it will affect most people because they use other players. I used power DVD for blu-rays, nightmare program.