DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - Season 1, Vol 1 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/601290-mighty-morphin-power-rangers-season-1-vol-1-a.html)

Jedi Master 33 05-04-12 11:25 AM

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - Season 1, Vol 1

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mighty-...Volume-1/16902

Shout! Factory broke the news back in March that they'd signed a deal with Saban Entertainment for home video rights to 17 years of Power Rangers television history: every American TV show (sorry, no Sentai) from 1993's Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers to 2009's Power Rangers RPM is included in the deal...but only those shows, however. The '95 and '97 theatrical films are still with Fox, and the most recent TV series - as we recently reported - is coming to DVD from Lionsgate Entertainment instead. But all of the previous programs from the hugely popular franchise are in Shout!'s hands now, and they are beginning their mega-assault on stores this summer!

Overnight the studio's first plans for this show have been revealed with an Amazon pre-order entry for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - Season 1, Vol.1, arriving in stores on August 21st. This 3-DVD set priced at $19.93 SRP brings you the first portion of the first of Morphin's three seasons. That includes "Day of the Dumpster," the very first episode which introduces us to Jason, Kimberly, Zack, Billy, Trini, Zordon, Alpha 5, Ernie, Bulk, Skull, Rita Repulsa, Goldar, Finster, Baboo and Squatt. We also ought to get on this collection the legendary 5-part story "Green With Evil," which first introduces Jason David Frank as "Tommy Oliver," the Green Ranger (the first of several colors Tommy would sport over the years!).

We're still waiting on Shout! Factory's press release (possibly next week) with all the details of this exciting brand launch for them. Hopefully it will have word of other releases in this long-running franchise (maybe other configurations for us more passionate fans, perhaps?). Stay tuned and we'll fill you in, as further developments occur!

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mighty-...#ixzz1tv1chQ8R

Ash Ketchum 05-04-12 12:12 PM

Re: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - Season 1, Vol 1

This is awesome news. I can soon move all those early MMPR one-episode-to-a-tape VHS editions into storage.

Vlyger 05-04-12 01:22 PM

This is good news. Season One consisted of 60 episodes, so I wonder how many volumes Shout! has in store.

Two volumes at 30 episodes each
or
Three volumes at 20 episodes each

"Green With Evil" miniseries:
-episode 17 (Part I)
-episode 18 (Part II)
-episode 19 (Part III)
-episode 20 (Part IV)
-episode 21 (Part V)

I would rather see two volumes released for the First Season. If not, then Vol.1 had better contain the first 21 episodes. I shouldn't worry though because Shout! Factory doesn't disappoint.

Spottedfeather 05-04-12 04:13 PM

I wonder if this will have the unaired pilot with different actors in some of the parts. Knowing Shout Factory, I'd say this first volume will probably have 30 episodes on it. Probably no extras, though, but considering how big a part of teenage life PR was, I'll be happy with just the episode. I'll finally be able to not have to worry about finding the rest of the episodes online.

Kory 05-04-12 06:02 PM

I fucking loved Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers as a kid. I even won a contest in which I received I believe a 5-VHS set of the Green Ranger's introduction, as well as a toy replica of the Dragon Dagger (I think that's what it was called). With that said, as a 25 year old man, I don't know how well these would hold up for me, even when factoring in the nostalgia. Might give the first volume a try just to see.

The Monkees 05-05-12 12:32 PM

I'm so unbelievably excited about this. I have the German sets of the first four seasons (including Zeo) and am looking forward to finally being able to watch these on a non-region free DVD player! I read on a PR site that the person in charge of the DVD releases mentioned something about getting 10 episodes on a disc and having them still maintaining their quality. So this could be half the seasons, lets hope!

Quack 05-09-12 12:22 PM

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mighty-...hrough-7/16925

The first multi-disc set to be released will be the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season One, Volume One 3-Dvd set, which will arrive in stores and will be available through select digital entertainment platforms on August 21, 2012. Marking the DVD debut of the original Power Rangers series, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season One, Volume One features the first 30 original episodes from the first season and delivers over 10 hours of high-energy, family friendly entertainment. Poised to attract a new audience of kids as well as young adults who grew up with this popular series, this 3-DVD set is priced to own at a suggested retail price of $19.93. Pre-order is now available at Amazon.com and ShoutFactory.com.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Season One, Volume Two 3-DVD set is slated to arrive on store shelves Fall 2012. Featuring the subsequent 30 original episodes, this DVD set continues more action-packed adventures of five teens, who quickly learn the full impact and awesome responsibility of their new powers and weapons. The evil villain, Rita Repulsa and her henchmen prove to be very worthy adversaries for the young super heroes, and they are challenged at every turn.

In an effort to provide avid collectors with an exclusive first-to-own experience, fans will have the first opportunity to collect upcoming box sets through a Time Life direct-response television and online campaign. Shout! Factory has teamed up with Time Life to make Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Season One 6-DVD set and the 40-DVD collection of Power Rangers: Seasons One - Seven directly available to fans starting July 30, 2012 through Time Life's direct-response on-air TV campaign, as well as online.

The Power Rangers: Seasons One -Seven 40-DVD collection will include: All 145 original episodes from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Seasons One, Two and Three, plus the ten-episode series Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Alien Rangers. It then continues on with Power Rangers: Seasons Four - Seven, featuring all of the original 183 episodes spanning the seasons entitled Power Rangers Zeo, Power Rangers Turbo, Power Rangers In Space and Power Rangers Lost Galaxy. In-depth bonus content includes: a retrospective featurette on the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers phenomenon, brand-new interviews with members of the cast and the creative team, and much more!

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mighty-...#ixzz1uOVHGE7C

Ash Ketchum 05-09-12 01:29 PM

Wow. This is great news. Hard to believe, but this August will make 19 years since MMPR premiered.

I remember getting hold of VHS tapes with episodes of "Zyuranger," the Japanese series which provided MMPR with its action footage, and showing them to my daughter and the neighbor kids after MMPR had been on for a few weeks. They were astounded. One of the kids kept saying, "My friends aren't gonna believe me when I tell them I saw this." And guess what? They didn't! Except for one girl who noticed that the Yellow Ranger's costume didn't have a skirt which backed up the neighbor boy's story that the Yellow Ranger in the Japanese original was a guy.

Wouldn't it be great if they included some original Japanese episodes--with subtitles!--as bonus episodes in these sets?

The Monkees 05-10-12 01:08 PM

I am absolutely getting that 40-DVD set! I've been waiting YEARS for US releases of this show and am such a huge fan! I imported the first 4 seasons from Germany (and got my season 1 autographed by Jason Narvy, a.k.a. Skull) but I will gladly rebuy them for the region 1 (and English audio that those 3 episodes on season 1 did not have).

Mike86 05-10-12 02:01 PM

I loved the series when I was a kid but I really don't know how well it would hold up to me now. I might pick up at least the first volume when it's out though if it's cheap enough.

The Monkees 05-10-12 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 11226863)
I loved the series when I was a kid but I really don't know how well it would hold up to me now. I might pick up at least the first volume when it's out though if it's cheap enough.

The whole series is on Netflix instant streaming if you want to see if you still like it.

Ash Ketchum 05-11-12 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 11226863)

I've been watching every season, but I still like to go back to the original season every so often and those episodes always bring a smile to my face. Except when I think about Thuy Trang (Trini, the original Yellow Ranger) and her tragic fate. Then it's tears, not smiles.

The current season, Power Rangers Super Samurai, is now on Nickelodeon.

Quack 06-05-12 10:56 PM

Here's an update about S1-S7 in a set.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mighty-...hrough-7/17042

http://tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/new...gers_S1-S7.jpg

Your favorite childhood show has morphenomenal action, adventure, and meaningful lessons for both original and young fans. Now you can relive these action-packed adventures and share them with the next generation when we unleash the ORIGINAL POWER RANGERS on DVD for the very first time! Plus, you'll get exclusive in-depth bonus content, including a retrospective featurette on the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers phenomenon, brand new interviews with the cast and creative teams, and much, much more!

Emphasizing the importance of teamwork, fitness, responsibility and helping others, the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers follows the thrilling and humorous adventures of ordinary teens who "morph" into extraordinary superheroes over the course of three seasons. The adventures continue with Power Rangers Zeo, as the team takes on a new member, new zords, and meets new challenges and enemies. Then shift into Power Rangers Turbo, with the fastest team yet! Next, "Let's Rocket!" as we blast off for Power Rangers In Space; then we'll "Go Galactic!" as we join a new team in unexplored territory with Power Rangers Lost Galaxy. Order your own incredible POWER RANGERS box set today!
A few hours ago today, TimeLife.com began accepting pre-orders for their 40-DVD collection of Power Rangers - Seasons 1-7: From Mighty Morphin to Lost Galaxy. You'll get 338 episodes which aired from 1993 to 1999, plus tons of bonus material including 2 DVDs completely dedicated to extras.

Additionally, with this title you'll also get a rare Bandai-made action figure of Morphin Red Ranger (Jason) wearing the "Dragon Shield" (which, in case you've forgotten, is the golden shoulder pad/chestpiece assembly) usually seen on the Morphin Green Ranger (Tommy). You can see a high-res image of this action figure at the bottom, complete with accessory sword and blaster. This toy was once available for collectors, but not for a long time; it is currently available exclusively from Time Life with the purchase of this title. And don't think this combination of Red and Green Ranger uniforms is simply out-of-the-blue; it is taken directly from two Mighty Morphin: Season 1 episodes: "Birds of a Feather" and "Clean-Up Club"...both of which you can watch on these discs!

Note that there is NOT any overall "slipcase" packaging for this title: these are the same sets that Shout! Factory will be selling individually, and Time Life will take the separate disc cases and the action figure, and wrap them in bubble wrap and send them to you in a regular shipping carton. The price is $219.95 SRP, which may sound like a lot at first, but at 40 discs it breaks down to just $5.49 per DVD. Or, putting bonus stuff aside, it's just 65¢ per episode...$31.42 per season. And standard shipping is available for free. It's a great value, any way you look at it. And if you cannot afford the entire $219.95 cost at once, you can break it down into 5 easy installments of $43.99 per payment. Sounds good to us!

The current planned ship date is August 6th, just a week later than what we originally reported. Time Life, Shout! Factory and Saban are working on getting a full press release to us soon; stay tuned for that!

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mighty-...#ixzz1wywvSN1S

The Monkees 06-07-12 01:14 PM

I got the 40 disc set preordered from Time Life!

shacmasta 06-10-12 11:45 PM

On the fence for the entire run set, since I pretty much stepped away from the show after the Mighty Morphin era, but the collector and Tv show freak in me would like to have the whole set for nostalgia reasons. Tough call

Quack 06-11-12 08:37 PM

https://p.twimg.com/AvJpl6-CQAEcmiM.jpg:large

The Monkees 06-12-12 12:13 PM

I absolutely can't wait for this!

Quack 06-12-12 04:18 PM

I'm not sure if I wanna get the 40 disc set or just the 19 disc set.

Spottedfeather 06-12-12 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by shacmasta (Post 11267260)
On the fence for the entire run set, since I pretty much stepped away from the show after the Mighty Morphin era, but the collector and Tv show freak in me would like to have the whole set for nostalgia reasons. Tough call

I hope that they do get around to putting out the whole run of the show, as this is just the first seven seasons. I want at least up to Mystic Force. After hearing about it, it will be a kick to see Rita as the main, Zordon-like good guy leader of the power rangers.

Kory 06-12-12 08:11 PM

That 19-disc set is great, as it looks like it will just be the original series and cast? That's the only one I ever watched or have any real familiarity or nostalgia with, so I will probably pick that up, depending on the price.

Kenny22 06-12-12 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Quack (Post 11269487)
I'm not sure if I wanna get the 40 disc set or just the 19 disc set.

Unfortunately, there's no option for just the 19 disc set. The 40 Disc Set is being broken into 2 collections. "Mighty Morphin", with the image of the slipcover posted above, consisting of 19 discs and Seasons 4-7 consisting of the other 21 discs. Purchasing the 40 Disc Collection is the only way to own the 19 disc set of just "Mighty Morphin" unless of course you choose to wait for the individual seasons/volumes of those releases.

Quack 06-12-12 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kenny22 (Post 11269860)
Unfortunately, there's no option for just the 19 disc set. The 40 Disc Set is being broken into 2 collections. "Mighty Morphin", with the image of the slipcover posted above, consisting of 19 discs and Seasons 4-7 consisting of the other 21 discs. Purchasing the 40 Disc Collection is the only way to own the 19 disc set of just "Mighty Morphin" unless of course you choose to wait for the individual seasons/volumes of those releases.

But why would they have box art for a 19 disc set? I imagine at some point you'll be able to just get the first 3 seasons.

The Monkees 06-12-12 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Quack (Post 11269893)
But why would they have box art for a 19 disc set? I imagine at some point you'll be able to just get the first 3 seasons.

It may be available at some point in general stores but I understand why it's split up like that. MMPR was it's own series and then Zeo, Turbo, In Space and Lost Galaxy were their own series. So the first 3 seasons were MMPR so that would get it's own box. Now having the other 4 seasons boxed together makes no sense. I guess for the people buying the 40 disc set it's better doing it that way, but I don't see seasons 4 - 7 being boxed together when they eventually make their way to general stores.

Kenny22 06-13-12 05:37 PM

In addition to the 40 disc Mega Set, The entire first season will be released in its own collection in a 6 disc collection. No details or dates have been revealed for that release yet though. I know it seems a little confusing with so many different versions being released so let me try to break it down:

1) Time Life is releasing the 40 Disc Mega Set consisting of 2 collections ("Mighty Morphin" which encompasses 19 discs, two of which are bonus features and "Seasons 4-7" consisting of 21 discs where 1 will be for bonus features).

2) Shout! Factory (at this time) will be releasing Season 1, Volume 1 this August with Season 1, Volume 2 to follow in the fall. It looks like Shout!'s own release strategy will be breaking the seasons into volumes to minimize cost and disc count for the more casual shopper.

3) A full "Season 1" collection consisting of 6 discs will be released as well although a release date and details have not been revealed yet for it. It is uncertain whether this collection will be available exclusively through Time Life or via Shout!'s website or other online/store retailers.

LosingMyMind 06-24-12 04:18 PM

It will be available at comic-con.