Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

? about real vs bootleg TZ dvd set

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
? about real vs bootleg TZ dvd set

Just recieved the The Twilight Zone Complete Series Definative set that I obtained for $90.00 off Amazon Market place. The set was enclosed in a cardboard box ,inside the shipping box and since the DVD's are in a large amaray case the dvd's on the inside front and backside of the case were on hubs. Now the DVD's in the middle were on hubs as well BUT they had these littl foam sponges over the hubs that you had to remove before you could take the dvd off its hub! I have never seen that in all my years of collecting. Now the discs looked and played perfectly, picture was sharp and clear but I'm wondering if anyone else bought this particular set and had those foam pads on their hubs. How can one be sure if they got the real deal or a phony??? Are there any markings or inscriptions on the discs that would tell that. Definately would appreciate any help or info with this particular set-
thanks-
Old 05-08-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: ? about real vs bootleg TZ dvd set

I don't know about this specific set but I've seen those foam pads before. Just extra protection for the discs. I wouldn't be alarmed over it.
Old 05-08-12, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have pictures you can post? Also inspect the discs. Are they region 1 coded or region free? any Chinese writing?

I have the set and they look like the pictures on Amazon, and not how you describe.
Old 05-09-12, 02:54 AM
Banned

The Fraggle Rock sets have those foam pieces, too.
Old 05-09-12, 05:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Do you have pictures you can post? Also inspect the discs. Are they region 1 coded or region free? any Chinese writing?

I have the set and they look like the pictures on Amazon, and not how you describe.
No I did not notice any Chinese writing like I did when I bought 'The Wire' sets off Ebay which I will never purchase anything from again!! Not sure where to look for region code but box does say dual layer format and the whole set looks legit to me so far. Where do I confirm the region code???
thanks to to all for the input ,info and help. Its just a pain in the butt that you have to continually worry about this crap when you buy DVD's nowadays!!!
Old 05-09-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you post pictures of the set?
Old 05-09-12, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Can you post pictures of the set?
Man I wish I could but I am honsetly not sure how to do all that. It may simple to you guys but I am not the most saavy computer person around for sure. What I can do is tell you that the set I got came in thick Amaray plastic cases with a booklet but Honestly the print on the discs and booklets just looks a little faded to me. I look closely on Amazon at some pictures they show of the set and they seem to show cardboard like box cases to hold the DVD's and the are in plastic trays like the Dune TV series/movie SE discs or Star Trek TOS original versions were or like the ape head with planet of the apes discs were in the same plastic trays if you follow me! My set looks different than the one on amazon but since companies are always updating there packaging I'm just not sure what to think. There is a symbol on the inside underside of the disc followed by 2 letters "BM" and the numbers 293 I THINK when looking with a magnifying glass But I really can't tell if its a Chinese symbol as its not as defineable like "THE Wire" and "Sopranos" bootlegs I had gotten at EBAY! Perhaps my wife this evening will be able to take photos and figure out how to post them. I'm hoping with this info one of Y'all can tell me yes or no. sorry to ramble all this but I just want to be sure that what I purachased was real. Again thanks for all the input and info and I appreciate your time and help-
Old 05-09-12, 12:52 PM

It definitely sounds like you don't have the set as pictured on Amazon, smurr05. However, I'm pretty sure I've seen a TZ Complete series set at Costco, where each season was in a plastic amaray case (about the size of a double-wide DVD case, with plastic "pages" within), and all 5 of those plastic cases was in one big outer box. This sounds more similar to what you bought -- so my guess is that what's pictured on Amazon is the "1st generation" box set, and yours is a subsequent printing with slightly "cheaper" overall packaging (but presumably the same disc quality).
Old 05-09-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I got one of those sets on eBay recently, and it was a fake. Guy gave me a refund as soon as I mentioned it, so at least it was free. Heres some things to look for:

Put the disc in your computer, the bootleg is a single layer 4gb, instead of double 9gb. The inside of the disc where the circle opening is at, has twilight zone written on it. Also the bootleg disc do not contain the pdf files.

More info: http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Mov...ight/520272153
Old 05-09-12, 03:51 PM
Banned

Man I really appreciate the help and that link to ebay. Thanks for all your input and information!

Last edited by smurr05; 05-09-12 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stingermck
I got one of those sets on eBay recently, and it was a fake. Guy gave me a refund as soon as I mentioned it, so at least it was free. Heres some things to look for:

Put the disc in your computer, the bootleg is a single layer 4gb, instead of double 9gb. The inside of the disc where the circle opening is at, has twilight zone written on it. Also the bootleg disc do not contain the pdf files.

More info: http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Mov...ight/520272153
Just finished going to the link you provided-after all the info on that page and testing my discs I've realized that this DEFINATELY is a bootleg set-!!!!!!
Will definately return this set for a refund. Again many thanks...Ver much appreciated!!!

Okay one last question folks...How in the world do I go about finding a seller , selling the real deal??? Any suggestions?
thanks-

Last edited by smurr05; 05-09-12 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you can wait, Amazon sells complete sets as a deal of the day now and then. That's been the cheapest way to get it, for the most part. Occasionally Costco will have it to but for a little bit higher price.
Old 05-10-12, 08:05 AM
Banned

Just a follow up...Contacted the 3rd policy seller on Amazon about returning for a refund which was fine but got a 3 paragraph lecture about how this country is forcing people to produce and obtain items,(like dvd's!) from outside or other coutries!!! It was quite a hilarious rant! Anyway will take your advice and by from a well known buisness like directly from Amazon or Walmart has it...Costco etc-
again appreciate the help with this issue-
Old 05-10-12, 04:31 PM
Banned

I'd really like to read that email rant....
Old 05-29-12, 10:38 AM

Hey, I wrote that long description on ebay and made a thread about my ordeal with this last year here on DVDTalk as well. My advice is to look for an eBay auction with the individual seasons together, like there's one right now with 0 bids at $50 and buy it now for $75. That was such a frustrating ordeal.
Old 05-29-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kidglov3s
My advice is to look for an eBay auction with the individual seasons together, like there's one right now with 0 bids at $50 and buy it now for $75. That was such a frustrating ordeal.
That seems a little too low. I'd be a little worried about bootlegs at that price.
Old 05-29-12, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
That seems a little too low. I'd be a little worried about bootlegs at that price.
When I bought the five legitimate sets together it was $80, and they show the five separate seasons, with season one being larger than the others. As far as I know there aren't any chinese warehouses selling the individual seasons of Twilight Zone, only the Complete Definitive Collection.