Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Third Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2012

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Third Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2012

Old 05-03-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Re: The Third Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2012

I guess my challenge is called "Loose Threads with a Side of Noir". I have some movies and a tv series I started in recent challenges that I ran out of time for before I could finish them.
Old 05-04-12, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Third Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2012

Watched Ride with the devil yesterday and while I usually love Ang Lee's films, this one just didn't do anything for me. I know Lee was trying to make a personal, local story about the Civil War but i just couldn't get past hoping that all of the main characters failed because, whatever their personal motivations, they were in league with the Confederacy. Plus, it was a really slow moving film. Jeffrey Wright was brilliant as always and at first I wondered why it took him so long to realize he was fighting for the wrong side but after his character had his epiphany I realized he didn't know what freedom felt like so it almost made sense that he would not leave the group.
Old 05-04-12, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm gonna jump in this soon. I have just been too busy with work this week to get it started.
Old 05-04-12, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

had a horrible outting last month by being sick in bed sleeping for two weeks, but feeling better and off to a good start to knocking out my to watch pile!
Old 05-04-12, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got in one of my letter "A"s with The Avengers at midnight.
Old 05-04-12, 07:48 PM

Watching Ironclad aka Medieval Magnificent Seven for the Historical Challenge.
Old 05-05-12, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gp1086 View Post
Got in one of my letter "A"s with The Avengers at midnight.
How was it? I'm excited to see it!

If you want an interesting experience, juxtapose a couple episodes of Rumpole of the Bailey with Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. There's nothing like following Brits pontificating about the law with indie-music-soused teens falling in love in New York.
Old 05-05-12, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched the My Living Doll set I recently purchased. It is a very enjoyable series. My biggest gripe is that it's obvious in many of the episodes on this set that Bob Cummings wanted to make it *his* show when it's truly about Julie Newmar's character, Rhoda the Robot. When the focus of the scene is on her it truly shines although it's hard to not watch and think "cliche" at times. Then you remember that this show started some of those cliches and it was all fresh when it initially aired. I've not researched it yet but I kept wanting to know if those "control switch" moles belong to Ms. Newmar and they worked them into the scripts or if they were makeup.

One of the bonus features is an episode of The Bob Cummings Show. I didn't like this as much as My Living Doll, mainly due to the type of character Mr. Cummings played - essentially a lothario. His constant mugging also hurt the show IMHO. I've read a few reviews which indicate the character and mugging are what make the series so that would explain why I didn't much care for the episode. I have very vague recollections of seeing a few episodes of this one as a kid (probably re-runs somewhere as I was a bit too young during it's initial airings) but nothing sticks out which indicates I probably didn't much care for the series even back then. But apparently lots of people disagree as it ran for 5 seasons.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 05-05-12 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-05-12, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has discovered that listening to Jimi Hendrix and Otis Redding at obscene volumes is a perfect way to begin a Saturday! My only complaint about the Shake! Otis at Monterey film is that there's virtually no video of Otis during "Try a Little Tenderness." His presence on stage was so electric plus the entire set is 20 minutes, the crowd montage during that song is disappointing.
Old 05-05-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lisadoris View Post
Has discovered that listening to Jimi Hendrix and Otis Redding at obscene volumes is a perfect way to begin a Saturday!
I could have told you that back in the late 60's...
Old 05-05-12, 10:17 AM

hey Mondo - I dare you to watch and listen to the commentary track for Braveheart without A) falling asleep on it or B) going bonkers out of boredom
Old 05-06-12, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
My commentarython (Hey! I like that!) is going well too.
The goal is to just bounce around from all decades and genres---Nothing similar will be watched (Or rather, listened to) back to back. That should keep things fresh.
Have you ever listened to the commentary for Chicago? If not, it is one of my favorite commentaries. The filmmakers relate several stories about making a film on a tight budget.

I've dived into The Vampire Diaries and am really enjoying the show. I was a bit surprised at how good it is since the series was a rather late arrival in the vampire craze. I also watched The Mirror Crack'd, one of those all-star cast Agatha Christie adaptations that where so popular in the last 1970s and early 1980s. It was a lot of fun, but I wish Angela Lansbury's Miss Marple had been given more to do.
Old 05-06-12, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Haven't listened to Chicago (Don't own it)

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
hey Mondo - I dare you to watch and listen to the commentary track for Braveheart without A) falling asleep on it or B) going bonkers out of boredom
Don't own that one either ....But maybe I can pick it up at my local buy/trade store (It helps that I've always liked the movie anyway)

As for all the commentary-listening I've done, I've noticed that the commentators always point out how freezing cold or how miserably hot a film shoot often goes. It's never in between
Old 05-06-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
^Haven't listened to Chicago (Don't own it)

Don't own that one either ....But maybe I can pick it up at my local buy/trade store (It helps that I've always liked the movie anyway)

As for all the commentary-listening I've done, I've noticed that the commentators always point out how freezing cold or how miserably hot a film shoot often goes. It's never in between
Speaking of commentaries, yesterday I picked up STALAG 17 for under $5. It's got commentary by two of the cast members, Richard Erdman and Gil Stratton, and the co-author of the original play, Donald Bevan! I love it when I find classic films with commentary by their original creators, recorded while they're watching and not pieced together from interviews. The oldest one I have like that is DECOY (1946), a film noir on which the original author provides the commentary. I also have WINCHESTER '73 with commentary by James Stewart and THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL with commentary by the director, Robert Wise.

My favorite audio commentaries remain THE LONGEST YARD (1974), with Burt Reynolds, and MYRA BRECKENRIDGE (1970), with Raquel Welch. Those two are just delightful to listen to. (Now why doesn't someone team them up on either of the two films they made together--100 RIFLES and FUZZ?)
Old 05-06-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Changing my challenge up, to make it Documentary/Star Trek/Time Tunnel.
Old 05-06-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went to Best Buy yesterday with the grand kids to look for Skylanders characters and stumbled upon a TVonDVD sale with all sets of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea going for $9.99 each. I had sworn I wouldn't purchase any more of these beyond S1 as I had exchanged both S1 volumes several times each and *never* got a set that would play every episode without skipping/freezing at least once. My absolute *worst* experience with DVD18s. But... the price, not having seen any of the Flying Sub episodes since they originally aired, and my 50s/60s TV theme compelled me to take a chance and pick up S2/V1. I've made it through disk 1 (6 episodes) with no issues and am really enjoying the series. It's quite a bit more typical Irwin Allen than was S1. Spy action, war action, undersea action, sci/fi action, cheesy effects, implausible scripts, bad scale for some miniature photography, questionable science, everything you could ask for in a Irwin Allen adventure series! At this point in the season they'd not begun to overly rely on stock and re-used footage in spite of the apparent "budget busting" look of the first episode (very cheesy but somewhat expensive looking for the time). The quality of the DVD image is spectacular! I wish they'd done as good a job on Lost in Space as on this one. The theme song for the series was changed for the first two episodes but returned to the original with episode 3. The new one was good, but sounded too much like generic action/suspense bridging music and not very memorable. That may be why they went back to the original.
Old 05-07-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I went to Best Buy yesterday with the grand kids to look for Skylanders characters and stumbled upon a TVonDVD sale with all sets of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea going for $9.99 each. I had sworn I wouldn't purchase any more of these beyond S1 as I had exchanged both S1 volumes several times each and *never* got a set that would play every episode without skipping/freezing at least once. My absolute *worst* experience with DVD18s. But... the price, not having seen any of the Flying Sub episodes since they originally aired, and my 50s/60s TV theme compelled me to take a chance and pick up S2/V1. I've made it through disk 1 (6 episodes) with no issues and am really enjoying the series. It's quite a bit more typical Irwin Allen than was S1. Spy action, war action, undersea action, sci/fi action, cheesy effects, implausible scripts, bad scale for some miniature photography, questionable science, everything you could ask for in a Irwin Allen adventure series! At this point in the season they'd not begun to overly rely on stock and re-used footage in spite of the apparent "budget busting" look of the first episode (very cheesy but somewhat expensive looking for the time). The quality of the DVD image is spectacular! I wish they'd done as good a job on Lost in Space as on this one. The theme song for the series was changed for the first two episodes but returned to the original with episode 3. The new one was good, but sounded too much like generic action/suspense bridging music and not very memorable. That may be why they went back to the original.
You just made me resolve to head to Best Buy after work to see if the nearest branch has that sale as well.
Old 05-10-12, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm unsure if someone has already thought about this but for next year's challenge, I'm going to do a whole bunch of movies which have sequels, prequels, spin-offs & reboots. don't know why but i woke up with that thought in my head this morning...
Old 05-13-12, 10:05 AM

Guess I'm the last person to see the Avengers (for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge). Still can't believe how good it was.
Old 05-14-12, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Indy24LA View Post
Guess I'm the last person to see the Avengers (for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge). Still can't believe how good it was.
Nope - I've not seen it and will probably not see it until sometime after it arrives on DVD. How are you watching it for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge? That one doesn't start until July 1st.
Old 05-14-12, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had a minor set back viewing wise. We travelled to Amarillo, TX to see my new grandson! We left last Thursday and got home tonight. I must say, it was worth missing a few days of TV viewing for that!
Old 05-14-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Been struggling to fill in the letters for "May Mix Up Challenge". Finished up watching Ghostbusters (1984) for the first time tonight to fill out the "G". Still planning on completing this thing!
Old 05-15-12, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Took a break for a couple of days to go to my brother's graduation festivities. Had a great time and ate way too much steak and potatoes! Now, I'm starting a French reading course to fulfill a language requirement for my Masters degree, so I may have to scale back on my viewing.

I had a fun experience yesterday. I watched The Secret Life of Bees which features a scene in which two characters go see Surf Party at the local cinema. The by-all-accounts bad surfer flick is the same film that Enis and Alma go see in Brokeback Mountain. Now, I imagine the events of each film happening simultaneously in different states, and I believe that Jack and August would get along famously!
Old 05-15-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll hoping to somewhat offset that TV-less trip this week as I took the entire week off to "sit around and watch TV" as a "wind down". If the wife doesn't come up with any honey-do's I'll be set.
Old 05-15-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
Nope - I've not seen it and will probably not see it until sometime after it arrives on DVD. How are you watching it for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge? That one doesn't start until July 1st.
He's doing an All Challenge Challenge.

I'm planning on seeing it in theaters. I have the movie cash for the entire family, it's just a matter of actually doing it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.