Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Obscene film favourites? (Pink Flamingos, Salo etc)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-28-12, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anybody has any personal favourites that would be disgusting and disturbing to the mainstream pablum?

In addition to the two I list in the title I'd also add Happiness.

Spoiler:
Loved the scene at the end where the dog laps up the cum and then licks the mother's face.
Old 02-29-12, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: Obscene film favourites? (Pink Flamingos, Salo etc)

I love Marat/ Sade, although I sadly missed out on buying it before it went OOP. Not exactly obscene, but a filmed version of a play-within-a-play, set in an insane asylum in Napoleonic France, where the Marquis de Sade directs a cast of lunatics in a theatrical recreation of the assassination of Jean Paul Marat that ends with the inmates raping and murdering their keepers, is a pretty tough sell to the average movie viewer.

Did I mention that it's also a musical? (This clip is safe for work--no nudity but a certain amount of bloodless violence is shown). It's available on Netflix.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ctE34A2YBUk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Gobear; 02-29-12 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-29-12, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another movie that some people might find disturbing: Zero Patience, a toe-tappin' Canadian musical from the early 90s about researching the epidemiology of AIDS to clear Canada from being the source of the virus in North America (Patient Zero was a Quebec air steward that the press wrongly identified as spreading the disease on this continent) and the disregard for welfare of patients in drug trials.

(This clip is safe for work, but use caution in watching any other clips on YouTube.)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QR7RKGdP1OU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You might also check out Sebastiane. a low-budget historical tale from the brilliant Derek Jarman that tells the story of St. Sebastian, a Christian soldier who was exiled from the court of Emperor Diocletian and eventually executed for his faith. The dialogue is in Latin with English subtitles, and because this is a Jarman film, there is a ton of male nudity throughout the entire film.

Ken Russell's The Devils. You know it, you love it, it has never been released in R1 because of copious female nudity, blasphemy, and gruesome violence. However, it is being released in the UK by the BFI this spring at long last.

Last edited by Gobear; 02-29-12 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-29-12, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember randomly watching happiness back when i worked at a video store and loving it.

I randomly go on kicks of watching more extreme stuff and have a decent amount iv gotten over the years (Murder set pieces, vomit gore trilogy, violent shit trilogy, august underground, nekromantiks, etc) which all would be prolly off putting to the mainstream but the 3 movies that stuck with me the most

The Girl Next Door - based on a Jack Ketchum title. not the greatest movie made but was the ONLY time a movie made me angry toward the character and what was going on. I felt real sadness for the girls in this movie. this movie stuck with me for a very long time. Prolly the most mainstream title of the three.

Cannibal - This movie was really well done *in my opinion* had great gore effects, had some well done shots and the movie did an amazing job at making you feel uncomfortable BEFORE the gore started.

Human Centipede 2 - this movie just got added to my list of favorites and its sad alot of people wont check it out after being let down by the first. the first was decent at best but was rather tame with all the hype it conjured up, but enjoyed it as i thought it was a good idea. I was not excited to hear about the sequel because i had no clue where it could go and figured it would just be a cash in. however in my eyes they redeemed themselves and delivered a good sequel and def brought the extreme. but what was most disturbing was Laurence Harvey's character Martin.
Old 02-29-12, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would also recommend Jerry Springer: The Opera, which received 60,000 viewer complaints when it was broadcast in the UK in 2005 due to concerns about bad language and blasphemy, since the second act is set in the afterlife with Adam and Eve, and Jesus and the Devil as guests (and Jesus is a fat man wearing only a diaper).

The musical has the usual Jerry Springer situations and NSFW language, including liberal use of the-word-that-rhymes-with-"duck," so use your own judgment about watching this clip.

Last edited by Gobear; 02-29-12 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-29-12, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I certainly like the suggestions that contain blasphemy (that's always fun ). I'll research the titles and post back.

Human Centipede (one and two) did certainly catch my eye when I heard about them in the review section here but seemed like it crosses over somewhat from obscene to horror (and, although I have not moral objections to it, I've never been able to stomach it).
Old 02-29-12, 12:32 PM

A few:

Old 02-29-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Irreversible with Monica Bellucci.

It's a really good movie (acted and directed) But, quite obscene in the sense that it's plot deals with a woman savagely beaten and raped. And believe me, it's quite realistic. I own the movie, but honestly I couldn't stomach sitting through it again. Violence against woman is difficult for me to sit through in movies and TV.
Old 02-29-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by wz42
Human Centipede (one and two) did certainly catch my eye when I heard about them in the review section here but seemed like it crosses over somewhat from obscene to horror (and, although I have not moral objections to it, I've never been able to stomach it).
Your mean:

Spoiler:
Consuming shit from someone's asshole is too obscene for you?
Old 02-29-12, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Video Macumba

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Macumba

It's a mixtape made by Mike Patton of the former band Faith No More. Unlike Salo and other related films, this is all real. Those turds that are eaten aren't special effects. That's lunch for someone.
Old 02-29-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Baise Moi and A Serbian Film come to mind.
Old 02-29-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Animated count or no? if so: Urotsukidoji.
Old 02-29-12, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

I'll throw a shout out to "In a Glass Cage". Clearly a movie featuring child torturing and murdering, pedophilic nazis is not going to be for everyone. But unlike other movies that aim to be disturbing it's actually very well made (and it's wisely conservative in how much graphic detail you actually see).

I suppose "Salo" is another disturbing and obscene movie that also happens to be very well made. I can't call it a favorite though since I find the whole thing pretty much unwatchable (and I have no desire to ever see it again after watching it for a first time around 15 years ago).
Old 02-29-12, 07:11 PM
Cool New Member

There was a lot of strange, highly disturbing movies that used to be shown on the Independent Film Channel in the mid-1990s. Does anyone know where I can locate a list of films that used to air on that channel back then?
Old 03-01-12, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by wz42
Just wondering if anybody has any personal favourites that would be disgusting and disturbing to the mainstream pablum?
If audience reaction at the screening I attended over twenty years ago was any indication, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover would fit that bill pretty nicely.

I think that most mainstream audiences would find the last 20 minutes or so of Von Triers's Antichrist pretty disgusting as well.
Old 03-01-12, 11:55 AM

There's different levels of disturbing... I would think mainstream people would find Human Centipede or Serbian Film the most disturbing thing they've ever seen...
Old 03-05-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tecHouse
There's different levels of disturbing... I would think mainstream people would find Human Centipede or Serbian Film the most disturbing thing they've ever seen...

There's nothing "mainstream" about A Serbian Film..........
Old 03-06-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys there's a thread thats about 4 years old (wow I can't believe its been that long already) that talks about disturbing films.

You might wanna check it out.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...-watching.html

Sorry I don't know how to do that fancy url name change thing.
Old 03-06-12, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by JaxComet
There's nothing "mainstream" about A Serbian Film..........
It's readily available in retail chains so I threw it under mainstream releases.
Old 03-12-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Visitor Q and to a lesser degree, Gozu by Takashi Miike.

oh and Ken Park of course!

Last edited by scarredgod; 03-12-12 at 02:01 PM. Reason: edited to add
Old 03-12-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The Guinea Pig series can get pretty nasty
Antichrist
Old 03-12-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Guys there's a thread thats about 4 years old (wow I can't believe its been that long already) that talks about disturbing films.

You might wanna check it out.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...-watching.html

Sorry I don't know how to do that fancy url name change thing.
I miss all the talk that went on in that thread.