Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - 2/28/12 @ dusk to 3/1/12 @ dawn

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - 2/28/12 @ dusk to 3/1/12 @ dawn

Old 03-02-12, 08:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - 2/28/12 @ dusk to 3/1/12 @ d

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^Here or in our A/A/C list?
I hadn't thought of that. I imagine all of us here are doing both Challenges. But I think here would be best.
Old 03-03-12, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Re: DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - 2/28/12 @ dusk to 3/1/12 @ d

^Sounds good. Here's the link to my post with the final list!
Old 03-05-12, 07:10 AM

Results post in progress, expect it later this afternoon/evening. Let me know if you make any changes before then.

Originally Posted by orlmac
I appreciated the early start. Got two movies and one TV episode in, one of the movies was great and one was only so-so.
Which one did you like?

I notice you had an "R" theme going on that day.
1. Timecop: S1E1: A Rip in Time* (0:45:00) (Netflix Streaming)
2. Repeaters* (2010) (1:29:16) (Netflix Streaming)
3. Retrograde* (2004) (1:32:59) (Netflix Streaming)
Originally Posted by davidh777
Wow, I figured I'd be the only one on this board to have a choir/comics yin and yang!
Not choir/comics, but I'm sure I've gone straight from a church event to a comic book store dozens of times in my life. Sadly, I'm not sure which place I worship more in.....
I find this movie particularly fun and charming and have rewatched it several times (now that I've said that you'll hate it )
Started it and think I'll like it, but got distracted and will finish it later in the month.
but I find the current Disney fare to be intolerable.
I'm very forgiving on TV, and have been subjected to an hour or so of Disney shows a day since moving in with a ten year old. I have to admit that I really like Good Luck Charlie, and don't cringe at the other shows she watches like So Random, Jessie, and Wizards of Waverly Place. But yeah, I'm way too forgiving.
I left two titles on the table. I started watching the 30 Rock episode "Leap Day," and started watching The Time Machine but didn't finish either.
Can't believe I forgot to watch that 30 Rock episode. Pretty much my favorite show, about a favorite topic, and would have perfectly fit the Challenge, but it totally slipped my mind despite looking forward to it all week.
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Crap, I just remembered I got Time After Time on Wednesday. I had a perfect opportunity to watch Jack the Ripper travel through time for this challenge.
Loved that film when I saw it as a kid, hope it holds up when I re-watch it, hopefully this month.
Old 03-05-12, 08:11 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

My list:

1. Timecop: S1E1: A Rip in Time* (0:45:00) (Netflix Streaming)
2. Repeaters* (2010) (1:29:16) (Netflix Streaming)
3. Retrograde* (2004) (1:32:59) (Netflix Streaming)

I appreciated the early start. Got two movies and one TV episode in, one of the movies was great and one was only so-so.

Originally Posted by Trevor

Which one did you like?

I thought Repeaters had great ideas and good execution of them. I'm sure there are others out there like it but I can't recall seeing any. Retrograde was so-so, I know there were a lot of other movies out there that did it much better. I should have saved it for the Drive-In challenge if I was going to waste my time on it.
Old 03-05-12, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How is Timecop?
Old 03-05-12, 10:42 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

How is Timecop?
For the first episode of a series I thought it was pretty good. I would have liked to have watched more but Netflix took it down at midnight that night so I didn't get the chance to see if it found it's voice better as the episodes went on but the first one was good enough for me to keep watching.
Old 03-05-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Started it and think I'll like it, but got distracted and will finish it later in the month.
It totally counts for the sci-fi and animation challenges too

I'm very forgiving on TV, and have been subjected to an hour or so of Disney shows a day since moving in with a ten year old. I have to admit that I really like Good Luck Charlie, and don't cringe at the other shows she watches like So Random, Jessie, and Wizards of Waverly Place. But yeah, I'm way too forgiving.
Actually I meant to say that Good Luck Charlie is a pretty decent show, though I would never imply that such a judgment would have anything to do with the hotness of a young starlet because that would just be wrong. It's the Suite Life stuff that really drove me crazy, and new shows like ANT Farm haven't registered with me. Fortunately the kids spend a lot more time with HGTV these days, and I did like a lot of the Food Network shows they were watching. I even worked some of them into Holiday challenges.
Old 03-05-12, 05:02 PM

Ok, work was busier than I planned, so the fancy smancy (hopefully) results post will come later in the week (tomorrow looks to be busy as well).

I won't come even close to Chad's superb recaps, but I wanted to try to put some amount of effort into a conclusion.
Old 03-05-12, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just do it Thursday, then travel back to today and tell us it's done.
Old 03-06-12, 08:40 AM

Just do it Thursday, then travel back to today and tell us it's done.
I already did. You're just not in the right timeline at the moment.
Old 03-31-12, 05:23 PM

Results - DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge

2012 DVDTalk Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge Results

Over a month late in this timeline (but amazingly punctual in my personal one) here is the promised Results Post for our Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge.

Special thanks to Mister Peepers for leading my thoughts to Time Travel being our theme, and Shadokitty for seconding it. That was enough to get me to roll with it. Here is the original conversation from the Action/Adventure challenge thread for posterity.
Spoiler:
Don't start early. We're going to have a special Leap Day Challenge starting at dusk tomorrow until dusk the next day when Action starts.

We just need to decide the genre/subject matter.
Action or adventure movies that have the hero making a leap at some point. Possibly from one building to another, off a cliff, leaping to grab the edge of a cliff, leaping to grab a rope, etc. A leap of faith would also count as would movies featuring kangaroos.
I like this train.

Perhaps time travel films?
Originally Posted by shadokitty
A good idea for Leap Day, but do you know any available to stream? As I only own one film with time travel in it, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah..

All The Watchers

Trevor - 58 - Numbers not as "good" as they appear, as most of them were cartoon shorts.

Pizza - 10 - W* - Outed as a Dr. Who fan.

BobO'Link - 6 - W* - Big props for being ballsy enough to admit liking ST:V more than something else.

Gobear - 6 - W* - The closest to me DVDTalker geographically, yet we've never met.

coyoteblue - 5 - W* - Big thanks for pulling out the Outer Limits episodes that qualify.

pagefrance - 5 - W* - Nicely formatted list with a streaming link to boot!

davidh777 - 4 - Convinced me to watch some Disney animation that even my ten year old stepdaughter wouldn't watch. Should have followed his suggestion and dug through my DVD boxes to find the perfect item for this Challenge, the Star Trek Time Travel episodes!

KaBluie - 4 - Big props for finding the MST3K qualifying episodes and directly linking to the free streaming one. I used it!

shadokitty - 4 - Watched four items that I wish I had time to watch.

orlmac - 3 - Really loves the letter R. I'm curious as to what "orlmac" means.

supermike07 - 3 - Watched the trilogy perfect for this Challenge, and seconded that we'll do this again in 4 years!

Jeffy Pop - 2 - Apparently has a crush on Jake Gyllenhaal.

Ash Ketchum - 1 - Tried something new and watched anime.

Chad - 1 - The one film was a nice pick-up, I totally forgot that 2001 qualifies.

gp1086 - 1 - A first time viewing, and thank you for the wiki link of ideas!

jmsmath - 1 - Made it a great 1 with Time Bandits!

omike - 1 - We tried to sneak this Challenge in, but omike found us anyway.

paradicelost - ?1? - Looks like we definitely watched at least one item, but no list to verify. Quirky spelling references ???

cardsfan111 - 1 - Props for reminding me to make a wildcard rule.

Mister Peepers - 0

Top Five Worders

davidh777 - 18 - W* - Somehow beat even the OP in the posting department.

Trevor - 16 - Extra credit for making most of his posts and viewings while pretending to be fully attentive to his new wife and stepdaughter.

BobO'Link - 13 - W* - Thanks for the crazy lady story.
Spoiler:
That image above from the Quantum Leap open reminds me of a event from my days working in TV. A lady brought a VHS tape in to the News Dept. telling them that the tape has "some kind of occult/psychic/alien/supernatural phenomena" in the middle of the program she'd recorded. The producer brought the tape to the Control Room and we took a look. Sure enough there was a flash frame of "something" in the middle of a scene. We dubbed it to digital so we could slow it down to get a better look. A *single frame* of the Quantum Leap open (the exact one above) got inserted into the program with a couple of frames of "snow" following it. It looked as if her recorder dropped a frame when recording somehow. I knew the scene as my wife and I were regular viewers of the program (the *only* "sci-fi" based program she's *ever* watched with me). It took some talking but we finally managed to convince her what it was and what may have happened. We actually had to show her the frame-by-frame breakdown and explain every frame. She was *sure* she had something worth some $$$!

shadokitty - 12 - W* - Thanks for spurring me on to start this.

Mister Peepers - 10 - W* - Performed the amazing task of being the most verbose participant of the thread word count-wise, without watching a single qualifying item.

Orlmac - 7 - W* - Still curious.....

The top 5 of each category get a prize. I'm very cheap though, so the only prize is that you all get to start the 2016 Challenge one hour early. Winners marked with a W*

* posting totals are the numbers at the Challenge's conclusion

Last edited by Trevor; 04-03-12 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-31-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Results - DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge

Ash Ketchum - 1 - Tried something new and watched anime.

The top 5 of each category get a prize. I'm very cheap though, so the only prize is that you all get to start the 2016 Challenge one hour early.
So does that mean that you and I get a 2 hour head start as we made the top five in both lists?

Thanks for the work and breakdown! That was quite a fun read!
Old 03-31-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[B]
2012 DVDTalk Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge Results
[/

The top 5 of each category get a prize. I'm very cheap though, so the only prize is that you all get to start the 2016 Challenge one hour early.
Yay! I finally won something here. Sadly, I got to wait 4 years to use it.
Old 04-01-12, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time I won something on DVDTalk and it's not even enough time to fit in a full-length movie (typical full-length features are at least 90min in length). Oh well, see y'all in 2016!
Old 04-02-12, 02:08 PM

So does that mean that you and I get a 2 hour head start as we made the top five in both lists?
You do, but I'm exempt from prizes since I made the rules.
Thanks for the work and breakdown! That was quite a fun read!
Thanks. I know it pales in comparison to Chad's annual work, but I had to do something. Hopefully I'll do an equally average effort for the Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge.
Originally Posted by Pizza
Yay! I finally won something here. Sadly, I got to wait 4 years to use it.
I'll try to remind you guys in 2016.
Originally Posted by supermike07
The first time I won something on DVDTalk and it's not even enough time to fit in a full-length movie (typical full-length features are at least 90min in length). Oh well, see y'all in 2016!
I'm sure we can find you an old sci-fi flick with time travel elements that runs about 60 minutes. Or you can watch a Quantum Leap episode and a half!
Old 04-03-12, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

davidh777 - 18 - Somehow beat even the OP in the posting department.
Old 04-03-12, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

cardsfan111 - 0? - Props for reminding me to make a wildcard rule.

For the record, I did end up watching Leap Year, the film I suggested was the perfect Wild Card entry. Guess I didn't create a list post since I didn't have much of a list with 1 film.

With nearly 4 years to prepare, I plan on doubling my output next time. I can guarantee you it's the first time I've ever made such a promise with any confidence.
Old 04-03-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

shadokitty - 12 - Thanks for spurring me on to start this.
Thanks Trevor, maybe I'll watch an extra episode of Time Tunnel
Old 04-04-12, 09:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

omike - 1 - We tried to sneak this Challenge in, but omike found us anyway.
I'm telling you right now that I'm going to be keeping an eye on you kids next Leap Day!
Old 04-05-12, 06:59 AM

Thanks again for participating everyone!

Slight changes to the final results list and winners (post #111), for what little that is worth.

I think for 2016 I'm going to try to take a little vacation and plan my schedule so that I can watch the complete Time Tunnel series straight through.

For the Challenge itself, I'm seriously going to try to have a couple of sponsors for prizes, a checklist, and even theme days (three calendar days are covered after all).

Now on to working on finishing up my Action/Adventure Challenge list and then some results.
Old 04-08-12, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again for participating everyone!

Slight changes to the final results list and winners (post #111), for what little that is worth.

I think for 2016 I'm going to try to take a little vacation and plan my schedule so that I can watch the complete Time Tunnel series straight through.

For the Challenge itself, I'm seriously going to try to have a couple of sponsors for prizes, a checklist, and even theme days (three calendar days are covered after all).

Now on to working on finishing up my Action/Adventure Challenge list and then some results.
I actually have a time machine and have already gone to leap year 2016 and watched the entire Time Tunnel series that very day. You came up with some pretty good prizes and I'm looking forward to getting those then.
Old 04-08-12, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Why wait... just jump ahead a couple more days to see if you actually scored!

Of course as you've already jumped ahead you've answered the *real* question: Does the Myan calendar predict the end of the world? Guess not, eh? Now I'll have to leave that retirement account alone!
Old 04-08-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

^Why wait... just jump ahead a couple more days to see if you actually scored!

Of course as you've already jumped ahead you've answered the *real* question: Does the Myan calendar predict the end of the world? Guess not, eh? Now I'll have to leave that retirement account alone!
Since he has a time machine, maybe he'll be our sponsor with prizes from the future.