Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Originally Posted by Trevor
It's been official a couple days now. Sorry. I thought I made that clear, but perhaps I didn't clean up the ambiguity in the original posts. I'll check the threads out and edit as needed now.
Where IS the checklist? It's not in the list thread where it should be.
Old 03-06-12, 04:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Originally Posted by omike
Tonight I'm thinking pirate movie. Maybe Pirates of Blood River from the Icons of Adventure set.
Oh, I keep wanting to open up that set. Maybe my wife will let me have a lazy weekend....
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
It's linked in post #1 of both the discussion and list threads.

Maybe that's too lazy of me? I didn't really think about it. I didn't really start working on it until post 80 or so, so just left it there at post #83 where it was worked on then finalized.
Old 03-06-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I found it through a link in the fist post of the list thread.

So most of my weekend was spent in an intense 24: Season 4 marathon. This also happened when I watched the first three seasons. Episodes of the show are like potato chips laced with crack.

Caution: there be spoilers. I really enjoyed the fourth season with all its twists and turns. I especially love that
Spoiler:
a direct attack on Air Force One and the hijacking off all the nuclear power plants is just not enough action for one season
. However, I had some qualms with
Spoiler:
the handling of Richard Heller's character. I would be nice if the show's first gay character had some redeeming qualities and wasn't unfairly accused of being unAmerican and "costing time and lives" by his douchebag father. Also, it would be nice if the black woman wasn't a scheming, manipulative bitch
Old 03-06-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Watching the
Spoiler:
charge of the Rohan
in LOTR ROTK. Awesome.
Old 03-06-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Yep, even though I try to say I'm not a numbers guy and try to sell the Challenges to the masses who only watch a few films a month, deep down my OCD is centered on things like lists and check boxes and numbers.
Exactly! I've often gone into one of these saying "I'm *not* getting caught up in the numbers game" only to do just that!
I like the goal of 100 for these things, it's a nice round number after all, and very challenging to hit for anyone with normal responsibilities. But 100 full length films is borderline unhealthy (I know, I've done it several times). 100 TV shows or shorts is very doable, but still challenging enough in my opinion. And I think that # goal/challenge encourages some participation we wouldn't get if Challenges were just a "watch this genre" thread.
Yes, 100 is a nice round number but as you indicate "borderline unhealthy" if you have a family. Those where I've gone way over I've done *nothing* but watch movies, work, eat, and get very little sleep. When the month is over I feel like I just crawled out of a hole somewhere.

I know I was just a bit intimidated with the numbers some people were posting before I made that first leap into the Sci-Fi one a couple of years back. It *almost* kept me out of it but my OCD finally took over and wouldn't let me *not* participate.
Old 03-06-12, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...I'm still holding out. The price jump made me realize that this is way over my usual season set price point. I think I can wait and get it cheaper eventually....
I don't blame you! I looked at the current prices after you posted the price jumped. Wow! I paid just under $25 for *both* a few years ago during one of those Fox B1G1 sales. Man, I miss those sales!
Old 03-06-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

^ With shipping I paid $18 each as I dealt with a seller who went through Amazon rather than from Amazon directly as it was cheaper.
Old 03-06-12, 09:00 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I like the goal of 100 for these things, it's a nice round number after all, and very challenging to hit for anyone with normal responsibilities. But 100 full length films is borderline unhealthy (I know, I've done it several times). 100 TV shows or shorts is very doable, but still challenging enough in my opinion. And I think that # goal/challenge encourages some participation we wouldn't get if Challenges were just a "watch this genre" thread.
After thinking about it I am sure that you are right. Look at the late, lamented Horror Film Club. The Horror Movie Challenge gets great participation but the Horror Film Club couldn't keep enough people interested with anywhere from one to four movies a month. I think that proves your point.
Old 03-07-12, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by orlmac
After thinking about it I am sure that you are right. Look at the late, lamented Horror Film Club. The Horror Movie Challenge gets great participation but the Horror Film Club couldn't keep enough people interested with anywhere from one to four movies a month. I think that proves your point.
And I think a big part of it is that there is a big difference between:

Hey DVDTalk Friends! Let's all get together and watch this specific film this specific week.
and

Hey DVDTalk Friends! Let's all get together and watch tons of this genre, your choice, next month.
Old 03-07-12, 10:53 AM

I have a quick question about the checklist and holiday themed movies. I'm watching The Unholy Three from 1925, a portion of the movie takes place during Christmas, you see Christmas shoppers, there is a robbery on Christmas Eve and a setting up the christmas tree scene. When I looked up holiday themed films on Wikiipedia it lists the film as related to Christmas but says that Christmas was more incidental to the plot. Would it still qualify?
Old 03-07-12, 11:22 AM

I have a quick question about the checklist and holiday themed movies. I'm watching The Unholy Three from 1925, a portion of the movie takes place during Christmas, you see Christmas shoppers, there is a robbery on Christmas Eve and a setting up the christmas tree scene. When I looked up holiday themed films on Wikiipedia it lists the film as related to Christmas but says that Christmas was more incidental to the plot. Would it still qualify?
I'm only going to answer if you update your sig. It's been bothering me for 2 years.
Old 03-07-12, 11:28 AM

I'm only going to answer if you update your sig. It's been bothering me for 2 years.
OK, if your answer is yes I'll figure out how to update it (I'm not real good at some of this computer stuff)
Old 03-07-12, 11:58 AM

OK, if your answer is yes I'll figure out how to update it (I'm not real good at some of this computer stuff)
Click on "User CP" which is near the top left of every page on the forum.

You'll then see "edit signature" as one of the top links.

Now on the answer, I haven't seen that film, but I think the intent of having that in all the checklists is for it to be a film where whenever anyone who has seen the film thinks of it, they think of that holiday. So if you automatically think of Christmas whenever you think of that film, it counts.

That's always been my thinking on that checklist item. Anyone else?
Old 03-07-12, 01:37 PM

Click on "User CP" which is near the top left of every page on the forum.

You'll then see "edit signature" as one of the top links.

Now on the answer, I haven't seen that film, but I think the intent of having that in all the checklists is for it to be a film where whenever anyone who has seen the film thinks of it, they think of that holiday. So if you automatically think of Christmas whenever you think of that film, it counts.

That's always been my thinking on that checklist item. Anyone else?
I'm interested in what others think, but I understand what you are saying. I don't think of Christmas when I think of this movie so I have found another one that covers it. And I'll try to get my signature fixed, I meant to do that last month when you first mentioned it.
Old 03-07-12, 01:54 PM

Watching my wedding video today, we just got it last night. Trying to think of a way to justify counting it, but the honeymoon wasn't included in the video.

I'm interested in what others think, but I understand what you are saying. I don't think of Christmas when I think of this movie so I have found another one that covers it. And I'll try to get my signature fixed, I meant to do that last month when you first mentioned it.
I mainly giving my opinion on what I would count if I did checklists anymore. For this Challenge and it's liberal tone, you're more than welcome to count that film as holiday.

And I'm mostly joking on the sig thing......
Old 03-07-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Watching my wedding video today, we just got it last night. Trying to think of a way to justify counting it, but the honeymoon wasn't included in the video.
1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge
Old 03-07-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Are you sure it's not Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge?
Old 03-07-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Are you sure it's not Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge?
I was tempted to point out the Horror challenge doesn't start until October.
Old 03-07-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And don't even bring up next month's challenge...
Old 03-07-12, 05:49 PM

Jen would say she married someone old enough to remember most of the items in the Historical Challenge, that my attempts at husbanding belong in the Comedy Challenge, and that most of my ideas are crazy enough for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge.
Old 03-07-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I dunno, I always thought marriage was a..."Make-Your-Own" Challenge.
Old 03-07-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Just finished The Nickel Ride. Good thing for this challenge that it had criminals in it, as I would never describe it as action, despite what the "Action Double Feature" graphic on the front says.

Liked the premise and Jason Miller was good--but they just didn't do enough....anything.
Old 03-07-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Finally watched Beach of the War Gods. The second half of the film is one long battle between the Chinese defenders and the invading Japanese pirates culminating in a mano-a-mano between our hero (Wang Yu) and the treacherous Japanese pirate chief (Lung Fei). Otherwise the film owes a nod, like so many others, to the Seven Samurai, for the first half set up.
Old 03-08-12, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Against my better judgment, I started 24: Season Five today. I just need to make sure not to get sucked into another marathon situation! I also watched The Hitch-Hiker a beautifully paced film noir helmed by Ida Lupino. The film is suspenseful and yet simplistic. Instead of a litany of twists and plots, the film uses the stark nature of its story (as well as a prelude warning that "this could happen to YOU or the couple sitting across the aisle") to really build the suspense. It reminded me of The Desperate Hours, another film that I greatly enjoyed.

This challenge coincided with a definitional argument unit I teach my Composition class. While pondering the definitions of "hero" and "villain," I typically show segments of V for Vendetta and Watchmen. This year I am going to add segments of 24 to see how my class deals with the mirroring of torture tactics used by Jack Bauer and terrorist thugs. I just hope that my students love the show as much as I do!
Old 03-08-12, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know i may be in the minority here but i just watched drive angry and actually really enjoyed it. i remember the trailers for it made it look bad *in a bad way* and remember people blasting it in reviews so i may be the only person who enjoyed this movie and almost wish i saved it for next months challenge as it would def fit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.