Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Old 03-04-12, 12:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Originally Posted by Dimension X
So, last night/early this morning I was watching William Shatner's movie, The Captains (2011), and about an hour into it, outta nowhere, there's Christopher Plummer.
No need to put him in the checklist, everyone has seen him already!
Old 03-04-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

went to walmart bc i heard they finally got the puppet master volumes from echo bridge. so i checked out the dvds as i havent been there in awhile and figured id get something new to watch for the challenge and grabbed Yakuza Weapon to check out. its from creators of death trance and versus which i loved.

also my niece and I wanted to watch some super hero movies before Avengers come out so watching Incredible Hulk today
Old 03-04-12, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Just FYI, there is a wealth of vintage noir available on Netflix. I've watched a couple today, and have a bunch tagged in my queue for viewing later.
Old 03-04-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Just FYI, there is a wealth of vintage noir available on Netflix. I've watched a couple today, and have a bunch tagged in my queue for viewing later.
Yeah, there's some real hard to find stuff over there. I was worried a lot would disappear with Starz but that doesn't look like it happened.

Allow me to recommend Plunder Road http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Plunder_Road/70154425 a fun heist noir.
Old 03-04-12, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Took a break from noir to watch Thor. I thought it wasn't as awful as lots of people made it out to be, except for the very end. That just made me start dozing off.
Old 03-05-12, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tonight's viewing, Lethal Weapon (1987). I love Gary Busey.
Old 03-05-12, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Watched Death Race 2, even though I've never seen the original Death Race or the remake that this is supposedly a prequel to. For some reason I had picked this up and didn't get it into last year's B-movie challenge (since this is a DTV sequel). Surprisingly it wasn't terrible. Luke Goss was a respectable leading man, the action was pretty good, and the women were attractive. The unrated version had an extended
Spoiler:
love scene in which Tanit Phoenix was naked (nothing exposed, though) except one leg was still in her jeans. I don't understand partially clothed love scenes.

Old 03-05-12, 06:17 AM

The last 6 posts have all made me think, "Cool, I want to watch that too!" Way too many films/shows, way too little time.
Old 03-05-12, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Took a break from noir to watch Thor. I thought it wasn't as awful as lots of people made it out to be, except for the very end. That just made me start dozing off.

It's one of of my absolute favorite Marvel movies. Hell I found the visuals so gorgeous I could probably watch it with the sound off. .

I watched Last Man Standing last night, thinking I had never seen it, then realizing I had about halfway through...and didn't like it. Talk about an overuse of wirework and pea-soup-with ham acting.

Oh and a Q: I watched the first Harry Potter with my son on Saturday....does this count as adventure? I really don't care too much as to be honest it doesn't even fit MY idea of the theme here but then I saw the Barney title in the header post in this thread so....if that counts...

Oh and you guys better get to the site and make some prize recommendations...else you will be left to the mercy of my tastes....muahahahaha!

Last edited by GoldenWheels; 03-05-12 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-05-12, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Been watching Teknoman on and off since the challenge began. A decent anime, and one I haven't seen in a long time and never all the way through.
Old 03-05-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
It's one of of my absolute favorite Marvel movies. Hell I found the visuals so gorgeous I could probably watch it with the sound off. .
I was thinking it wasn't as clear as it could be for a blu-ray. Then when I went to change the disc I saw my daughter put the DVD in because they had the blu-ray hidden behind the insert.

Besides my wife not seeing it yet, now I have another reason to watch it so soon (besides the Rifftrax, which I can now listen to).
Old 03-05-12, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Question. It isn't listed as action under imdb, but does anyone else think Armored Fleet Dairugger XV would contain enough action for the Action/Adventure Challenge?
Old 03-05-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Question. It isn't listed as action under imdb, but does anyone else think Armored Fleet Dairugger XV would contain enough action for the Action/Adventure Challenge?
Absolutely. Those shows are nonstop mecha action and adventure, with space battles galore.

I've got that one, too, along with Golion and Tekkaman Blade.
Old 03-05-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh and a Q: I watched the first Harry Potter with my son on Saturday....does this count as adventure? I really don't care too much as to be honest it doesn't even fit MY idea of the theme here but then I saw the Barney title in the header post in this thread so....if that counts...
Totally counts. I watched a Potter on day 1.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I was thinking it wasn't as clear as it could be for a blu-ray. Then when I went to change the disc I saw my daughter put the DVD in because they had the blu-ray hidden behind the insert.
I hate it when they put the BD on that side and switch the discs if they do.
Old 03-05-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Totally counts. I watched a Potter on day 1.

Thank you....I may get to more of the Blu boxed set then as I am still new to the series outside of the first one (which I had seen on TV various times).

These challenges are a great excuse for me to hit the unwatched pile hard.
Old 03-05-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Absolutely. Those shows are nonstop mecha action and adventure, with space battles galore.

I've got that one, too, along with Golion and Tekkaman Blade.
One of these days I need to get Volumes 2 and 3 of Dairugger. I have Volume 1 of Dairugger, Volumes 1 and 2 of Golion, and instead of Tekkaman Blade, I have Teknoman, but at least it is the complete series.
Old 03-05-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Other than Death Race 2 and the Leap Day overlap, I feel like I've barely started the challenge. Have yet to start the organized-crime-watching binge I'd planned (felt I needed to include the "-watching" in there ).

I'm watching ROTK on my ipod at the gym but it goes slowly in 20-minute increments. Kudos, though, to cardsfan111 for the idea of including Survivor as an adventure series.

Thank you....I may get to more of the Blu boxed set then as I am still new to the series outside of the first one (which I had seen on TV various times).

These challenges are a great excuse for me to hit the unwatched pile hard.
If you have the time, the Potter films are perfect for marathoning, not just to see the actors age (especially after the first one) but because there are a lot of details that make more sense when you concentrate your watching. If you don't have time this month, though, there's always July!
Old 03-05-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Love this loose little challenge. I had just noticed that it wasn't exclusively action and the crime and adventure aspects add to it. I saw Project X the other day and didn't include it, but it could be considered an adventure of sorts and there is some crime in there. Anyway, this is my warm-up challenge before the Drive-In exploitation one in April which I want to make epic this year.
Old 03-05-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have the time, the Potter films are perfect for marathoning, not just to see the actors age (especially after the first one) but because there are a lot of details that make more sense when you concentrate your watching. If you don't have time this month, though, there's always July!
I don't have the time sadly. I think we'll get through the first three for this challenge as they are all PG and my son was captivated by parts. He is 4 so this one was OK for him, no scary moments save maybe the last "battle". (I have given up trying to predict what will scare him as he thinks Godzilla is amazing--he's seen them all--but will leave the room when scary music comes on on Super Hero Squad.) But 4 and 5 I believe are PG-13 so not so sure on those.
Old 03-05-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I watched LAST ACTION HERO last night. I'd seen portions of it on cable years ago and taped it off HBO in 1999, but I never watched the whole thing before. I loved it. I found it extremely funny and clever throughout. I loved the cameos and the tense encounter between the "real" Schwarzenegger and Jack Slater. And Maria Shriver's reaction, esp. in light of events since.

What made the whole thing work for me was the fact that the child actor, Austin O'Brien, seemed to really, really love these movies. He reacted with awe and eagerness. He was thrilled to be there. So when you enter this alternate universe, he takes you along for the ride. He reminded me of me when I was that age.

Which begs the question: Why couldn't they find an actor like that for HUGO? The kid in HUGO acts like he couldn't care less about movies. He acts completely disinterested throughout. I understand that the kid in HUGO is a few years younger than the one in LAST ACTION HERO, but could it have been that hard to find a kid that age that can show some enthusiasm?
Old 03-05-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Love this loose little challenge. I had just noticed that it wasn't exclusively action and the crime and adventure aspects add to it. I saw Project X the other day and didn't include it, but it could be considered an adventure of sorts and there is some crime in there. Anyway, this is my warm-up challenge before the Drive-In exploitation one in April which I want to make epic this year.
You know you're getting old when you've reached the point where if someone asks me if I've seen a certain movie that's had a reused name of one I saw when I was a kid.

Project X? I can say yes http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093793/
Talking about House? Yes, I've seen House http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091223/
Old 03-05-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

indiephantom is probably referring to the new Project X (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1636826/), which I saw and didn't count as well, although it was pretty damn crazy/action-packed.
Old 03-05-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't have the time sadly. I think we'll get through the first three for this challenge as they are all PG and my son was captivated by parts. He is 4 so this one was OK for him, no scary moments save maybe the last "battle". (I have given up trying to predict what will scare him as he thinks Godzilla is amazing--he's seen them all--but will leave the room when scary music comes on on Super Hero Squad.) But 4 and 5 I believe are PG-13 so not so sure on those.
Completely understandable. I think 1-3 is a good plan. Just MO, but the third is significantly better than the first two, so if you watch that much, you'll finish with a good feeling about the series and a hankering to watch more. You might even go on without him and then revisit with him, as these are, again IMO, very rewatchable. They do get scarier as they go on so caution is good.

And yeah, kids. Mine used to get terrified by the MGM lion's roar.
Old 03-05-12, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
One of these days I need to get Volumes 2 and 3 of Dairugger. I have Volume 1 of Dairugger, Volumes 1 and 2 of Golion, and instead of Tekkaman Blade, I have Teknoman, but at least it is the complete series.
Sometimes I think that when you and Ash talk about these titles you're just creating random words and snickering behind our backs for believing you.

I know, I know, I need more exposure to anime. I've actually really enjoyed most of the ten or so things I've watched, but just can't afford any more collectable areas to focus on.
Kudos, though, to cardsfan111 for the idea of including Survivor as an adventure series.
That was brilliant Cardsfan!
Originally Posted by indiephantom
Love this loose little challenge.
She is a saucy little wench ain't she?
I'm running into similar problems with my 10 year old stepdaughter. I'm fairly conservative, and trying to keep her sweet and innocent as long as possible, so we consider very few PG-13 films to be possible viewing choices. I'd stay G only till she was 18 if I could get away with it.
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I watched LAST ACTION HERO last night. I'd seen portions of it on cable years ago and taped it off HBO in 1999, but I never watched the whole thing before. I loved it. I found it extremely funny and clever throughout. I loved the cameos and the tense encounter between the "real" Schwarzenegger and Jack Slater. And Maria Shriver's reaction, esp. in light of events since.

What made the whole thing work for me was the fact that the child actor, Austin O'Brien, seemed to really, really love these movies. He reacted with awe and eagerness. He was thrilled to be there. So when you enter this alternate universe, he takes you along for the ride. He reminded me of me when I was that age.
That was my impression of it when I saw it on release month in the theaters iirc. Been dying to see it ever since. Not sure if I even own it. Wasn't the only DVD release of it for awhile poorly done or FS only or something?
Old 03-05-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad to see other HP fans on this board. Deathly Hallows Part 2 was my favorite movie of 2011 and easily the best of the series IMO - I've seen it five times now and it doesn't get old. The way they closed out the story on screen was simply magical. I was a huge fan of the books before the movies though.

On a related note, I'm completely jealous of GoldenWheels son that he will get to experience the magic for the first time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.