Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Originally Posted by Trevor
Coincidentally, that was the first title I watched. A ftv, picked by my wife from her collection. It was better than I expected.
I had a thing for Jane Seymour back in the day...
Old 03-01-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Originally Posted by omike
After watching World Without End, a mid fifties SF adventure involving time travel, in the pre-dusk hours I plunged into pure Action/Adventure/Crime territory with Transporter 2 yesterday evening. This is the first Transporter movie I've seen and I liked it quite a bit. It clocks in at a lean 87 minutes and none of the action sequences goes on too long (I find too many modern action movies last way too long with sequences that end up trying my patience and leaving me bored and burned out way before the movie is over). There are a few spots where things that happen are just stupid or silly but they weren't enough to pull me out of the experience. Car chases and martial arts = a great way to get this challenge rolling.

Tonight I hope to get in one or maybe two Shaw Brothers crime movies. I'm going out of town this weekend and I don't know if I'll be able to convince my hosts to watch any movies so that may be it until Sunday.
The first TRANSPORTER movie is the best. Make sure you catch that one, too.

I'm eager to hear your reports on Shaw Bros. crime movies. I've got a few of those lined up for this challenge as well (THE BIG HOLDUP, MERCENARIES FROM HONG KONG, BROTHERHOOD, etc.). I've seen some before, including POLICE FORCE and THE DELINQUENT (which was called STREET GANGS OF HONG KONG when it showed in the U.S. 39 or so years ago) and a caper film called THE LIZARD. Plus the spy films, ANGEL WITH THE IRON FISTS and its sequel (ANGEL STRIKES AGAIN).
Old 03-01-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm enjoying the Time Travel stuff a lot, and have barely touched what I own of it, so I think I may just focus on it all month.
I doubt I'll focus on Time Travel all month but watching episodes of The Time Tunnel series has me wanting to finish it before moving on. It's been too long since I've watched the series so those noir titles may just have to sit on the shelf a bit longer...
Old 03-01-12, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Checklist almost "official", see post #83.

Please give me some tweaks and additions of some modern actors and directors maybe, and we'll mark it complete.

Initial post fleshed out a bit too.
Ignorable suggestions:

Director: John McTiernan, James Cameron, John Frankenheimer, Sergio Leone, Sam Peckinpah, Robert Rodriguez

Stars: Michelle Yeoh, Milla Jovovich, Angelina Jolie (meh), Sigourney Weaver, Chow Yun Fat, Sean Connery, Russell Crowe, Harrison Ford, Jet Li, Will Smith, John Travolta, Denzel Washington
Old 03-01-12, 04:58 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Ignorable suggestions:

Director: John McTiernan, James Cameron, John Frankenheimer, Sergio Leone, Sam Peckinpah, Robert Rodriguez

Stars: Michelle Yeoh, Milla Jovovich, Angelina Jolie (meh), Sigourney Weaver, Chow Yun Fat, Sean Connery, Russell Crowe, Harrison Ford, Jet Li, Will Smith, John Travolta, Denzel Washington
Always good to add some action ladies to the checklist. If I can think of any more to consider I'll suggest them. I would definitely like to add Denzel Washington to the list.

Last edited by orlmac; 03-01-12 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-01-12, 05:16 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
Always good to add some action ladies to the checklist. If I can think of any more to consider I'll suggest them. I would definitely like to add Denzel Washington to the list.
Three more actresses to consider are Yancy Butler, Michelle Rodriguez and Lucy Liu.
Old 03-01-12, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Pam Grier
Claudia Jennings
Old 03-01-12, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Cynthia Rothrock
Moon Lee
Etsuko Shihomi
Brigitte Lin
Maggie Cheung
Anita Mui
Old 03-01-12, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Cynthia Rothrock
Moon Lee
Etsuko Shihomi
Brigitte Lin
Maggie Cheung
Anita Mui
Angela Mao (BROKEN OATH, WHEN TAEKWONDO STRIKES)
Lily Li (EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN, DAGGERS 8)
Kara Hui Yi Hung (CLAN OF THE WHITE LOTUS, MY YOUNG AUNTIE)
Chia Ling (Judy Lee) - QUEEN BOXER, IMPERIAL SWORD, EIGHT MASTERS
Cheng Pei Pei - COME DRINK WITH ME, GOLDEN SWALLOW, THE LADY HERMIT, SHADOW WHIP
Shih Szu - THE LADY HERMIT, THE RESCUE, THE YOUNG AVENGER

Meiko Kaji (FEMALE PRISONER #701 SCORPION, LADY SNOWBLOOD)
Old 03-01-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This could be the toughest checklist ever
Old 03-01-12, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got off to a good start with three episodes of justified which is an awesome show and keeps getting better and

Tenement - was gonna save this for next month but i dont have too many dvds to fit this challenge and needed something for work. i believe i watched this last yr in the bmovie challenge but i didnt remember any of it, but really enjoyed this viewing. just overly cheesy and bad acting, but had a charm to it
Old 03-01-12, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

2 days late to the party, but I'm in!

1 film a day would be perfect with my work/class schedule.
Old 03-01-12, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Started this part of the challenge by finally watching Taken (2008) and I loved it. Liam Neeson is so good in it!!! I wanted to see it in the theater, but never made time for it and then, I bought the Blu-ray shortly after it was released. It's been sitting on the shelf unwatched for probably close to two years now. Having this challenge was the motivation I needed to finally watch it.
Old 03-02-12, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I started the challenge off by starting two television box sets that I want to finish this month - 24: Season Four and Last Exile: The Complete Series. Both start off with a bang! Jack Bauer is so awesome!

I also watched Godzilla, King of the Monsters!. I love the fact that the Americanized version splices in Raymond Burr as a protagonist who simply stands about, observing the story.
Old 03-02-12, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Too late for the Time Travel Challenge, but I saw the original Time Machine, a first-time watch!

Not what I expected for some reason. I was thinking more along the lines of a Journey to the Center of the Earth with dinosaurs and all, and I didn't think it was going to be a period piece. It really became a somewhat conventional '60s sci-fi story with the same look as Forbidden Planet and Star Trek OS. Glad I saw it but not a favorite.
Old 03-02-12, 07:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
This could be the toughest checklist ever
It's actually not as bad as it looks. In theory, you could complete the checklist with just seven films.

Probably not, but it's possible the directors/actors/genres/decades could somehow sync.....

But on the checklist, I know it sucks, and am debating eliminating about half of it, or maybe maybe it like Chad's horror checklist in making the actors and directors either/or propositions. I know I have too many actors and directors listed, but can't decide how to narrow it down.
Old 03-02-12, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I started with Code of Silence...so by the numbers "cop movie" it hurts but come on...Chuck Norris (with the inevitable sparring scene of Chuck showing off his technical skills), Henry Silva, and enough groaners ("catch you later!") to keep me on my toes. Good start.
Old 03-02-12, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not a carpenter fan, but really enjoyed Assault on Precinct 13 just wish it had a better pay off at the end.
Old 03-02-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Angela Mao (BROKEN OATH, WHEN TAEKWONDO STRIKES)
Lily Li (EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN, DAGGERS 8)
Kara Hui Yi Hung (CLAN OF THE WHITE LOTUS, MY YOUNG AUNTIE)
Chia Ling (Judy Lee) - QUEEN BOXER, IMPERIAL SWORD, EIGHT MASTERS
Cheng Pei Pei - COME DRINK WITH ME, GOLDEN SWALLOW, THE LADY HERMIT, SHADOW WHIP
Shih Szu - THE LADY HERMIT, THE RESCUE, THE YOUNG AVENGER

Meiko Kaji (FEMALE PRISONER #701 SCORPION, LADY SNOWBLOOD)
You forgot:
Nora Miao (THE COMET STRIKES, THE BLADE SPARES NONE)
Polly Kuan (THE BRAVE AND THE EVIL, THE GRAND PASSION)

Maybe one of those Western (not cowboy) actors should be swapped out for Jimmy Wang Yu.
Old 03-02-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Forgot to mention that The Time Machine (the TCM Classics four-pack version) looks great on upconverted DVD. Looking forward to the eventual Warner Archive BD!

It's actually not as bad as it looks. In theory, you could complete the checklist with just seven films.

Probably not, but it's possible the directors/actors/genres/decades could somehow sync.....

But on the checklist, I know it sucks, and am debating eliminating about half of it, or maybe maybe it like Chad's horror checklist in making the actors and directors either/or propositions. I know I have too many actors and directors listed, but can't decide how to narrow it down.
Ha, no, that was just a joking reference to the suggested actors who I lamely have never heard of, and I've never heard of the films either.
Old 03-02-12, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
You forgot:
Nora Miao (THE COMET STRIKES, THE BLADE SPARES NONE)
Polly Kuan (THE BRAVE AND THE EVIL, THE GRAND PASSION)

Maybe one of those Western (not cowboy) actors should be swapped out for Jimmy Wang Yu.
I didn't forget Nora and Polly. They're just not in the same league.

But ditto on Jimmy Wang Yu.
Old 03-02-12, 11:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The first TRANSPORTER movie is the best. Make sure you catch that one, too.

I'm eager to hear your reports on Shaw Bros. crime movies. I've got a few of those lined up for this challenge as well (THE BIG HOLDUP, MERCENARIES FROM HONG KONG, BROTHERHOOD, etc.). I've seen some before, including POLICE FORCE and THE DELINQUENT (which was called STREET GANGS OF HONG KONG when it showed in the U.S. 39 or so years ago) and a caper film called THE LIZARD. Plus the spy films, ANGEL WITH THE IRON FISTS and its sequel (ANGEL STRIKES AGAIN).
Yes, I will try to get to the first Transporter movie, maybe even in this challenge but there's sooo much other stuff I have! Of the Shaw crime films you mentioned I have Angel With the Iron Fists (love that title), Brotherhood, Police Force and The Lizard (all unviewed). I also pulled out The Informer, Kidnap, Gun Brothers, The Criminals and The Black Falcon for this challenge. I doubt if I'll get to all of them but through semi random selection I watched The Black Falcon (listed on imdb as Hei ying) last night.

Although the description on the DVD case made this sound like a crime drama it turned out to be more like a James Bond type spy story with a detective from an international organization trying to find the head of a criminal organization known as The Black Falcon by wooing the head's daughter. There were a few gadgets like jewelry with tracking devices, miniature TV cameras (b&w only!), and hidden weapons of various types. At one point the hero even tells a thug "James Bond is my close brother!" or something to that effect. Frankly it was pretty average for psuedo-Bond films. Enjoyable but nothing outstanding. The fights lacked a bit of sparkle, which surprised me given the Shaws great action choreography in their period movies but I think it may be a case of trying to imitate the fight style found in the Bond movies. That Jenny Hu (who played the daughter) sure was cute though.

I plan to watch more of these and will start adding reviews to my list any day now. Looking forward to your thoughts on some of them also.

Last edited by omike; 03-02-12 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-02-12, 01:20 PM

Since my "new life" is going to include much less movie watching than before (at least until I get organized and settled into the new place, which will take at least this year), I only watch 10 or so films a month.

Seeing all of the Time Travel films and TV series that I own, the Leap Day Challenge was not enough to contain them all. In fact, I think I may be able to bend things to make my Time Travel marathon last all year.

February 29th - Time Travel Challenge
March - Action/Adventure Challenge - most will fit
April - Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge - I'll find a few to fit
May - Make-Your-Own Challenge - mine will be time travel!
June - Historical Challenge - and what is time travel except for the exploration of history?
July - Sci-Fi Challenge - most will fit
August - Animation Challenge - I think I can find a few here
September - Criterion Challenge - hmmm, probably only a couple
October - Horror Challenge - I imagine there are at least a dozen or so that could be counted as horror.
November - Comedy Challenge - a good amount could fit
December - Holiday Challenge - a few I imagine
January - TV Challenge - tons of choices

Ok, I doubt I'll really do this, but it proves something I've always thought. The Challenges don't make our viewing choices as restricted as they may seem. Most genres are quite flexible.
Old 03-02-12, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by omike
I also pulled out The Informer, Kidnap, Gun Brothers, The Criminals and The Black Falcon for this challenge. I doubt if I'll get to all of them but through semi random selection I watched The Black Falcon (listed on imdb as Hei ying) last night.
I just checked my Shaw Bros. inventory and am dismayed to learn that of those titles you list, I only have one: KIDNAP. I knew I should have bought the others when I had the chance.

I did have the foresight to buy TEMPTRESS OF A THOUSAND FACES (1968). That's a great female-oriented crime picture. It's much better than the two ANGEL movies, which suffer from really poor action staging.
Old 03-02-12, 05:19 PM

Christopher Plummer is stalking me!

Watch the Oscars the other night, and the main thing I paid attention to and talked to my wife about was Christopher Plummer.

The only film I've watched since then was Somewhere in Time, he being the best part.

The first and only TV show (except cartoons) that I've watched since is an old Outer Limits starring his daughter.

I look up at the TV my co-worker is watching for a few seconds, turns out to be Inside Man, and the one scene I see is, of course, with Christopher Plummer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.