Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Old 02-27-12, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Originally Posted by Trevor
No, I'm just not explaining it well. I've always felt that the whole genre classification system is murky.

There are a ton of Crime and Noir films that are, you know, actiony. And then there are lots that aren't.

But you're right, I'll just drop that line of thinking. Just because I had that unspoken emphasis in my mind the whole time doesn't mean anyone else has to do the same.
I know what you mean. Certain kinds of crime dramas have thriller elements, with bank robberies, shootouts, chases. Noir classics like THE KILLERS, CRISS CROSS and OUT OF THE PAST all have action scenes. Orson Welles' LADY FROM SHANGHAI has a great fight scene at the beginning and a memorable shootout in a hall of mirrors in the climax. Other noir classics, like DETOUR, are more existential. Just a lost guy plodding to his fate. Other crime dramas from the golden age are more focused on investigation than action. THE THIN MAN and its sequels are about solving crimes by piecing together clues and asking lots of questions, not about action. If someone throws a punch, that's the most action you'll get. THE MALTESE FALCON has more of a threat of action than any real action after the murder of Archer. THE BIG SLEEP, on the other hand, has two shootouts and a beating or two.

I'm all for including mysteries. They're part of the "Crime" umbrella and I don't know how many other challenges will give us the opportunity to include those. I have some Sherlock Holmes films at the office and was planning to squeeze some viewing at work to boost my numbers. (I've also got plenty of p.d. noir here, too, like HE WALKED BY NIGHT, THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS, SCARLET STREET, HOLLOW TRIUMPH, and KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL.)
Old 02-27-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Now that the list thread is up, just put a link to my list in my sig.
Old 02-27-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Plan to order a martial arts collection from St. Clair Vision. Might tap into it before the double credit kicks in with the drive in challenge to sample it as I don't know if I could wait all month to indulge in a little martial arts. 9 movies on 3 discs for $10 including shipping.
Old 02-27-12, 02:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I know what you mean. Certain kinds of crime dramas have thriller elements, with bank robberies, shootouts, chases. Noir classics like THE KILLERS, CRISS CROSS and OUT OF THE PAST all have action scenes. Orson Welles' LADY FROM SHANGHAI has a great fight scene at the beginning and a memorable shootout in a hall of mirrors in the climax. Other noir classics, like DETOUR, are more existential. Just a lost guy plodding to his fate. Other crime dramas from the golden age are more focused on investigation than action. THE THIN MAN and its sequels are about solving crimes by piecing together clues and asking lots of questions, not about action. If someone throws a punch, that's the most action you'll get. THE MALTESE FALCON has more of a threat of action than any real action after the murder of Archer. THE BIG SLEEP, on the other hand, has two shootouts and a beating or two.

I'm all for including mysteries. They're part of the "Crime" umbrella and I don't know how many other challenges will give us the opportunity to include those. I have some Sherlock Holmes films at the office and was planning to squeeze some viewing at work to boost my numbers. (I've also got plenty of p.d. noir here, too, like HE WALKED BY NIGHT, THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS, SCARLET STREET, HOLLOW TRIUMPH, and KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL.)
Yes, that's how I would have explained it if I had a command of my native tongue and a memory that let me pull films out of my brain easily.

And while I want to be careful and not make this too much of a Catch-All Challenge, perhaps all mysteries could be safe as well.

Any other thoughts on this?
Old 02-27-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought that's where you were going with it but if I can find a loophole to watch any noir, Murder She Wrote or Matlock in a challenge, I'll pass through that loophole.
Old 02-27-12, 02:45 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I really wasn't trying to turn this challenge into a catch-all, just trying to get a better feel for it. I think I understand what the original thinking was now. As far as adding all mysteries, I am ok either way with it. My original plan was to watch some Sherlock & Holmes movies, thinking they would qualify for crime but I see that is not correct. I have plenty of things to choose from though so I am happy either way.
Old 02-27-12, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I thought that's where you were going with it but if I can find a loophole to watch any noir, Murder She Wrote or Matlock in a challenge, I'll pass through that loophole.
I support this logic.
Originally Posted by orlmac
I really wasn't trying to turn this challenge into a catch-all, just trying to get a better feel for it. I think I understand what the original thinking was now. As far as adding all mysteries, I am ok either way with it. My original plan was to watch some Sherlock & Holmes movies, thinking they would qualify for crime but I see that is not correct. I have plenty of things to choose from though so I am happy either way.
No no, you're fine. Your or anyone else's thoughts are just as important as mine here. Sherlock Holmes and other mystery films deserve a month/Challenge, and I think this one makes more sense than any of the other current Challenges, or having a separate one for them.

I think mysteries are fine here. I'll still probably keep the title as is, and even abbreviate it as the Action/Adventure Challenge much of the time, and focus on those two genres for the checklist, but Crime and Mystery are fully allowed.

Objections fully expected and desired.
Old 02-27-12, 04:35 PM

I have a really tough question that I hope someone can help me with. I am using IMDB to pick out my movies for this challenge. You can go to advanced search and search for every movie that has the genre of Action, Adventure or Crime. I don't want to watch any movies that are horror, sci-fi or fantasy because of those upcoming challenges. Does anyone know how to search for movies that are certain genres without also being other genres? I certainly can't figure out if it is possible.
Old 02-27-12, 04:59 PM

I have a really tough question that I hope someone can help me with. I am using IMDB to pick out my movies for this challenge. You can go to advanced search and search for every movie that has the genre of Action, Adventure or Crime. I don't want to watch any movies that are horror, sci-fi or fantasy because of those upcoming challenges. Does anyone know how to search for movies that are certain genres without also being other genres? I certainly can't figure out if it is possible.
Not possible on IMDB afaik.

Are you trying to pull a list of every A/A/C film on IMDB? That would be hundreds of thousands.

How big is your collection? You can often tell from the titles/covers whether horror or sci-fi or fantasy are possible genres or sub-genres.

Are you using streaming? The genre searches on those sites would help.
Old 02-27-12, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else itching to start this early?

I just received my first title tonight and have to sit on it for a few days.
Old 02-27-12, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 665 Likes on 483 Posts

Yes, that's how I would have explained it if I had a command of my native tongue and a memory that let me pull films out of my brain easily.

And while I want to be careful and not make this too much of a Catch-All Challenge, perhaps all mysteries could be safe as well.

Any other thoughts on this?
I'm all for including Mysteries as, like Ash indicated so well, they all have a crime element of some type. It's pretty much the same with Noir. Maybe you should call it Crime/Mystery/Noir and leave Action/Adventure as more sub-genre types not only here but other challenges as well. Of course, almost *any* "major" genre type can be a sub-genre in other genres. (Ducks, covers, and runs for safety...)
Old 02-27-12, 07:01 PM

Not possible on IMDB afaik.

Are you trying to pull a list of every A/A/C film on IMDB? That would be hundreds of thousands.

How big is your collection? You can often tell from the titles/covers whether horror or sci-fi or fantasy are possible genres or sub-genres.

Are you using streaming? The genre searches on those sites would help.
Unfortunately I've got about 3500 dvd's that I have burned off myself, along with my purchased dvds and a large number of vhs tapes. I haven't kept a good record of the genres for each movie, and of course I haven't seen anywhere near all of them. I was just hoping that someone had some trick that would make it easier for me to cut the choices in imdb down to a reasonable number to glance through. I knew it was a long shot though. I'll be fine figuring out some other way to help cut it down. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-27-12, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gp1086
Anyone else itching to start this early?

I just received my first title tonight and have to sit on it for a few days.
I'm debating on starting early myself, just to get my action/adventure fix.
Old 02-27-12, 07:52 PM

Don't start early. We're going to have a special Leap Day Challenge starting at dusk tomorrow until dusk the next day when Action starts.

We just need to decide the genre/subject matter.
Old 02-27-12, 08:06 PM

I'm anxious to get started also but I still have a number of Lon Chaney, Sr. movies on my DVR that don't qualify for any challenges so I'm working on seeing some of those.
Old 02-27-12, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't start early. We're going to have a special Leap Day Challenge starting at dusk tomorrow until dusk the next day when Action starts.

We just need to decide the genre/subject matter.
Action or adventure movies that have the hero making a leap at some point. Possibly from one building to another, off a cliff, leaping to grab the edge of a cliff, leaping to grab a rope, etc. A leap of faith would also count as would movies featuring kangaroos.
Old 02-27-12, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Action or adventure movies that have the hero making a leap at some point. Possibly from one building to another, off a cliff, leaping to grab the edge of a cliff, leaping to grab a rope, etc. A leap of faith would also count as would movies featuring kangaroos.
I like this train.

Perhaps time travel films?
Old 02-27-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like this train.

A good idea for Leap Day, but do you know any available to stream? As I only own one film with time travel in it, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah..
Old 02-27-12, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like this train.

And for TV, we go with Quantum Leap and possibly Sliders.
Old 02-27-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
A good idea for Leap Day, but do you know any available to stream? As I only own one film with time travel in it, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah..
Do you have Netflix?

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ti...?trkid=2361637
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Th...?trkid=2361638
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ti...?trkid=2361637 - This is a TV series and not the JCVD film
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ho...?trkid=2361637
Old 02-27-12, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have Netflix and I see you mentioned Sliders, which I also have the box set of seasons 1 and 2 of.
Old 02-28-12, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I said I was going to take a break from challenges, but I cannot help myself. This sounds like so much fun. I have a huge unwatched pile of film noir and gangster films, not to mention seasons of "24" and "The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones."
Old 02-28-12, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
seasons of "24"
Unwatched? If so, you gotta get on that ASAP.
Old 02-28-12, 06:10 AM

Unfortunately I've got about 3500 dvd's that I have burned off myself, along with my purchased dvds and a large number of vhs tapes. I haven't kept a good record of the genres for each movie, and of course I haven't seen anywhere near all of them. I was just hoping that someone had some trick that would make it easier for me to cut the choices in imdb down to a reasonable number to glance through. I knew it was a long shot though. I'll be fine figuring out some other way to help cut it down. Thanks for the reply.
You could sort the genres by the top (or bottom if you're a machocist) rated on IMDB.

You'd still have to do some research and take out the ones with the sub-genres you're avoiding of course. But it'd be a way to narrow the focus a bit and make the research more manageable.
Old 02-28-12, 06:44 AM

Yes, I'm this obsessed. DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - 2/28/12 @ dusk to 3/1/12 @ dawn

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.