Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Old 02-21-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

I have all of the Warner Noir box sets, so my goal is to (hopefully) whip through all 5 by month's end.
Old 02-21-12, 01:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

so how is the numbering happening in terms of half hour and hour tv shows? or the hour and not not quite half hour tv shows like Inspector Morse, Lewis... the BBC stuff?
Old 02-21-12, 01:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I have all of the Warner Noir box sets, so my goal is to (hopefully) whip through all 5 by month's end.
That sounds great! Maybe I'll look for those in storage.... Too many ideas, not enough time.
Originally Posted by Giles
so how is the numbering happening in terms of half hour and hour tv shows? or the hour and not not quite half hour tv shows like Inspector Morse, Lewis... the BBC stuff?
Everything is counted as 1. A thirty second short is worth as much as a four hour film. Or do whatever you want.
Old 02-22-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Getting excited about the action/adventure/crime challenge. Anyone who is getting burnt out on the Academy Award Challenge already sneaking in some action, adventure or crime. Also does anyone know what their first title will be? I might start with my Teknoman DVDs, as it is an action anime, and it is part of my backlog, so I have yet to actually finish the series.
Old 02-22-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Anyone who is getting burnt out on the Academy Award Challenge already sneaking in some action, adventure or crime.
It's tempting to change it up early, but I've got two more for the Oscar challenge to get through before my list is fulfilled.

I've got some famous titles lined up in this category that I've never checked out before. Looking forward to it!
Old 02-22-12, 10:19 AM

I might start with my Teknoman DVDs, as it is an action anime, and it is part of my backlog, so I have yet to actually finish the series.
I'll start with some Academy Award qualifying films I hope. We have about a 36 hour window for both Challenges! edited for stupidity

Perhaps:

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
The Greatest Show on Earth (1952)
Around the World in 80 Days (1956)
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
Dances With Wolves (1990)
Titanic (1997)
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
Airport (1970)
The Towering Inferno (1974)
Jaws (1975)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
The Right Stuff (1983)
The Fugitive (1993)

Last edited by Trevor; 02-22-12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-22-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'll start with some Academy Award qualifying films I hope. We have about a 36 hour window for both Challenges!
36 Hour window for both Challenges? I thought the Oscar Challenge ended on the 26th at midnight, and the Action/Adventure/Crime Challgne didn't start until the 29th at Dusk? Have the dates been changed?
Old 02-22-12, 10:42 AM

We are very fortunate to once again have the fabulous Hamilton Books as a sponsor! Thank you GoldenWheels!

Always with great sales on books and DVDs, here is their website.

Below is some of the conversation I've had with Rich, with some great prize ideas. Let us know if you have any other ideas from their action/adventure selections.

Do your thing, check out the site and see what you can find, but as always I have some suggestions. I have some Shout titles sitting on my desk: Last Hard Men/SkyRiders, Nickel Ride/99 and 44/100% Dead, and Policewoman Season 2. (Your call on the prizes as always though).

Kind of kills me I just watched MIA 1-3 and Deathwish 2-4 as they would have been a great start for the challenge! I've been pushing the hell out of these already (listed them in the Hamilton's thread along with the other Garr 3 packs) but they are a good fit as prizes too.

Also have that Di Leo crime set from Raro which I now LOVE (had never watched the Italian crime stuff before) and it puzzles me I have struggled to move 30 copies. These movies are cool!

Let me know and don't feel locked in by my suggestions!
Old 02-22-12, 10:49 AM

36 Hour window for both Challenges? I thought the Oscar Challenge ended on the 26th at midnight, and the Action/Adventure/Crime Challgne didn't start until the 29th at Dusk? Have the dates been changed?
Doh! I did it again. I confused the dates, forgetting that the Academy Award Challenge isn't 1st to 29th. Ignore me on that until the end of March, when I pimp the double credit possibilities with the Cult/Drive-In Challenge.
Old 02-22-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Doh! I did it again. I confused the dates, forgetting that the Academy Award Challenge isn't 1st to 29th. Ignore me on that until the end of March, when I pimp the double credit possibilities with the Cult/Drive-In Challenge.
Already got some action movies lined up on my B movie list for the first 5 movies to get double credit on the Drive In/B movie challenge.
Old 02-22-12, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts

Speaking of Hamilton Books and the Action and Drive-In Challenges, I noticed in the latest Hamilton Book catalog that they've dropped the price on two of those Mill Creek/Crown International 12 film sets (Savage Cinema and Explosive Cinema) to $4.95 each (if anyone is interested and doesn't already have them).
Old 02-22-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Also does anyone know what their first title will be? I might start with my Teknoman DVDs, as it is an action anime, and it is part of my backlog, so I have yet to actually finish the series.
I've got CRIME WAVE (1954) and COPS VS. THUGS (1976) lined up to start. What better, more expressive titles than those? YAKUZA GRAVEYARD, SAMURAI VENDETTA and INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN are not too far behind, along with the TV series, FIGHT, DRAGON!
Old 02-22-12, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 664 Likes on 482 Posts

Getting excited about the action/adventure/crime challenge. Anyone who is getting burnt out on the Academy Award Challenge already sneaking in some action, adventure or crime. Also does anyone know what their first title will be? I might start with my Teknoman DVDs, as it is an action anime, and it is part of my backlog, so I have yet to actually finish the series.
I've actually pulled some Action/Adventure/Crime titles from the Academy Award Challenge stack so I can use them on this one. Several times I've looked over the AA titles and picked one only to remember it is a qualifier here and put it back. Of roughly 50 unopened AA qualifying titles left at least 30 qualify here and many of the others will qualify for the Historical one. I think I'm down to only a half dozen or so that only qualify for the AA challenge unless I take out Horror, Sci-Fi, and Comedy too. At that point the pile is depleted.

I have a unopened copy of "Bogie and Bacall - The Signature Collection" (The Big Sleep / Dark Passage / Key Largo / To Have and Have Not). I'm leaning heavily on starting with that set and To Have and Have Not. Basically watching them in chronological order.
Old 02-23-12, 05:10 PM

I'm working next Monday and Tuesday, so hope to have the checklist 1st draft and list thread up by then.

Feel free to keep the ideas coming. I'm leaning toward the recent checklist trend of subsections like "watch items from 7 of these 12 decades" and "watch items from 5 of these 10 directors".
Old 02-24-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just pre ordered Game of Thrones. Looking forward to seeing a few episodes of that for the first time for the challenge.
Old 02-24-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I'm working next Monday and Tuesday, so hope to have the checklist 1st draft and list thread up by then.

Feel free to keep the ideas coming. I'm leaning toward the recent checklist trend of subsections like "watch items from 7 of these 12 decades" and "watch items from 5 of these 10 directors".
Did I give suggestions for directors in another thread? I think so. If I did, it went something like this:

John Ford (THEY WERE EXPENDABLE, THE SEARCHERS)
Howard Hawks (SCARFACE, AIR FORCE, THE BIG SLEEP)
Raoul Walsh (HIGH SIERRA, WHITE HEAT)
Sam Fuller (THE STEEL HELMET, CHINA GATE)
Anthony Mann (WINCHESTER 73, MEN IN WAR, EL CID)
Don Siegel (COOGAN'S BLUFF, DIRTY HARRY, CHARLEY VARRICK)
Robert Aldrich (VERA CRUZ, THE DIRTY DOZEN, THE LONGEST YARD)
John Sturges (THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, THE GREAT ESCAPE)
Phil Karlson (KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL, 99 RIVER STREET)
Akira Kurosawa (SEVEN SAMURAI, YOJIMBO)
Sam Peckinpah (THE WILD BUNCH, THE GETAWAY)
Sergio Leone (A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS)
Kinji Fukasaku (THE YAKUZA PAPERS)
Kenji Misumi (various ZATOICHI and LONE WOLF AND CUB movies)
Chang Cheh (SHAOLIN TEMPLE, ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN)
Lau Kar Leung (THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN, 8 DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER)
Walter Hill (EXTREME PREJUDICE, JOHNNY HANDSOME, TRESPASS)
Sammo Hung (MILLIONAIRES' EXPRESS, EASTERN CONDORS)
Jackie Chan (THE YOUNG MASTER, POLICE STORY, OPERATION CONDOR)
Yuen Wo Ping (IRON MONKEY, TAI CHI MASTER)
Tsui Hark (PEKING OPERA BLUES, ZU WARRIORS)
John Woo (THE KILLER, HARD-BOILED)
Ringo Lam (CITY ON FIRE, FULL CONTACT)
Quentin Tarantino (PULP FICTION, KILL BILL)
Oliver Stone (PLATOON, SALVADOR, JFK)

Just off the top of my head.
Old 02-26-12, 08:11 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a quick question on the guidelines. I realize that basically anything we think qualifies is acceptable, but following the stricter guidelines, does a movie that is not listed as action, adventure or crime on IMDB or allmovie but is listed as mystery qualify? I asked because the comments going back to past discussions left me confused. Sherlock Holmes in Dressed to Kill seems like it may qualify (even though it isn't listed as crime) but I'm not sure about some others, like Ghost Ship (1943) starring Richard Dix. Thanks for any help with this.

Last edited by orlmac; 02-26-12 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-26-12, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Shouldn't we have a list thread by now?
Old 02-27-12, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Shouldn't we have a list thread by now?
Did you not read my last post, or are you just trying to get me motivated?

Either way, it worked. Here you go.

Old 02-27-12, 08:11 AM

Woohoo, first after the challenge creator
That makes you the Challenge Lead backup. If I should be unable to complete my doodies for any reason, it's all yours.
Originally Posted by orlmac
I have a quick question on the guidelines. I realize that basically anything we think qualifies is acceptable, but following the stricter guidelines, does a movie that is not listed as action, adventure or crime on IMDB or allmovie but is listed as mystery qualify? I asked because the comments going back to past discussions left me confused. Sherlock Holmes in Dressed to Kill seems like it may qualify (even though it isn't listed as crime) but I'm not sure about some others, like Ghost Ship (1943) starring Richard Dix. Thanks for any help with this.
I'm not sure if any mystery should count, maybe just the ones that are more "actiony"?

I know I may be opening up a can of worms with this, but my unspoken intent with adding in Crime was that we focus on the Crime films that are borderline Action films. Does that make sense?

On those two specific examples, I vaguely recall seeing Dressed to Kill and think it should qualify, but I'm not even positive I'm thinking of the right film. Ghost Ship I've seen a few times, and while I wouldn't choose it for this Challenge, I wouldn't object to anyone counting it.

But feel free to debate this strange thinking of mine on the whole inclusion of Crime films.
Old 02-27-12, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I can't resist this. Looks like it's time to revisit my 42nd Street Forever discs; I think I might have one or two I haven't watched yet, too. If I'm judging correctly, I'll be able to count the discs and every trailer that fits the genre specs. Heh.
I've been meaning to break my 42nd Street disc(s?) out for quite awhile. Perhaps I'll try to find one for next month.
Originally Posted by Dimension X
Speaking of Hamilton Books and the Action and Drive-In Challenges, I noticed in the latest Hamilton Book catalog that they've dropped the price on two of those Mill Creek/Crown International 12 film sets (Savage Cinema and Explosive Cinema) to $4.95 each (if anyone is interested and doesn't already have them).
Those are really fun collections, and a steal at that price.
Nice to see the challenge starts at dusk. It means I can actually start on the 29th, as I have to go to bed early on the 29th due to a Dentist appt on the first.
I decided that since most of the Challenges run until dawn of the following day, it made sense to include the pre-start day dusk hours as well.
Originally Posted by Dimension X
Either way, I'll still have plenty to listen to for the 3rd Annual May Make Your Own Challenge (coming soon).
I like the way that particular structuring flows. You may make your own challenge.....
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Did I give suggestions for directors in another thread? I think so. If I did, it went something like this:

Just off the top of my head.
You did, it's in spoilers on the last page. But thanks for the additions!

I'll try to have more on the checklist throughout the day, open to debate and input until Wednesday evening.
Old 02-27-12, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you not read my last post, or are you just trying to get me motivated?

Either way, it worked. Here you go.
My wife tells me things which I don't remember 5 minute later, let alone the massive amount of time known as 3 days.
Old 02-27-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts

Those are really fun collections, and a steal at that price.
No doubt. I kinda wish I hadn't gone ahead and threw them into an order of books a couple of months back. However, the shipping on another order would've eaten up the savings anyway, unless I'd found another bunch of books to buy, so I actually saved money buying them at the higher cost. Or something.

I like the way that particular structuring flows. You may make your own challenge.....
I like the way it sounds too. Plus it helps me remember which month it's in.
Old 02-27-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure if any mystery should count, maybe just the ones that are more "actiony"?

I know I may be opening up a can of worms with this, but my unspoken intent with adding in Crime was that we focus on the Crime films that are borderline Action films. Does that make sense?
That'll take out a lot of noir, which I was planning on watching. If they were supposed to be action type crime, you could have left out the crime part since it would have qualified under action.
Old 02-27-12, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
That'll take out a lot of noir, which I was planning on watching. If they were supposed to be action type crime, you could have left out the crime part since it would have qualified under action.
No, I'm just not explaining it well. I've always felt that the whole genre classification system is murky.

There are a ton of Crime and Noir films that are, you know, actiony. And then there are lots that aren't.

But you're right, I'll just drop that line of thinking. Just because I had that unspoken emphasis in my mind the whole time doesn't mean anyone else has to do the same.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.