Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Realistic expectations for selling a 5,700 dvd/blu collection?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Realistic expectations for selling a 5,700 dvd/blu collection?

Old 02-16-12, 03:40 PM

Re: Realistic expectations for selling a 5,700 dvd/blu collection?

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Any video stores or film schools in your area? Maybe you can get someone to buy the lot of them. You could also try Craigslist. This isn't a bad place to post either. Most of us couldn't afford the lot, but many of us might be willing to pay for some of those out of print titles. Not sure how the mods feel about trying to hawk your stuff on the site, but you are a senior member, and not someone who "just showed up".
and i'm sure given the situation they would not mind..
Old 02-16-12, 07:12 PM

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who chimed in. Your advice and well wishes mean a lot to me. We've had a couple bits of luck in the last few days. We found a cheap apartment to move to that's decent and a family member donated some earned miles to fly us to where we need to go which cuts down on how much we need so it looks like I won't have to worry about selling the entire thing immediately. We do still need a chunk of change, especially since our tax refund's probably not coming in as early as we need it, so I'll probably still be selling the blus and Criterions and a few other valuable bits since it looks like those would go pretty easy. We'll also be able to see the tv and a few other things to get us by as well. I've just got to price them out and see what'd be the best way to sell them. I'll post here whether they go on ebay or in the Exchange forum or wherever for those that were interested. Thanks again to everyone. Hopefully after this rough patch, we'll have better luck once we're situated.
Old 02-16-12, 07:56 PM

Good to hear things are looking up a bit. I hope this is the start of nothing but good fortune.
Old 02-18-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry to hear about your bad run, but glad you are catching a few little breaks at least.

One suggestion I could make is turning in a bunch to Amazon for credit, while this doesn't get you the cash you need, you would be able to take the sting out of a lot of everyday items by getting them with your credit (food, toiletries, etc...) They pay for shipping, so it's a pretty simple and fast process. You won't get much for older common titles, but I've found you can get some decent prices this way, especially if you still have any sealed titles, and it is great because you can ship them in large shipments and no cost to you.
Old 02-20-12, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I talked to a friend of mine about splitting the cost with me to get a spot at the flea market. I know he has talked in the past about selling some of the shirts he makes there. Anyway, he remembered that you need to have a tax ID number to be able to rent the spot, which isn't something I want to deal with. That might vary depending on the place, though.

Last edited by clckworang; 02-24-12 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-20-12, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry to hear about your wifes illness. Kudos to you for doing what needs to be done, and what alot of us would find very difficult to do. Glad to hear that you do not have to sell the whole collection. If all you need to sell is some criterions and special edition type stuff, this is the site to do it.
Old 02-20-12, 03:17 PM

Just wanted to say that I hope things start going well for you and your family as soon as possible.
Old 02-20-12, 04:35 PM

Hi everyone, I really can't thank you enough for the kind words. It's nice to find some encouragement wherever I can during all this.

I decided to throw what I'm selling up on ebay because we need a big chunk of the money immediately this week so we can pay the deposits on our new place. I put the Criterions and blus into their respective lots since I know those will go for enough to cover our costs. I'm in the middle of putting up just about any other title I have that looks like it'd be worth anything along with a bunch of video games so if anyone's interested they're up there. There'll be more added over the next day or so. My user name's dcrw6 on there as well. Here's a link to what I have up.

Hopefully after all these are sold we'll have enough to stand on our feet and get going on again. If posting the link on here's too out of bounds jus tlet me know and I'll delete it, or a mod can go ahead. I won't spam it anymore than that. Thanks again everyone. Everything's looking so that if we can get these deposits taken care of, then we'll be good financially until I get a job and we can just focus on my wife's health without any extra stress. It's a pretty good feeling to have some hope again.
Old 02-21-12, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Glad things are looking a little better for you guys
Old 02-21-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm glad to hear, too, that you are doing a bit better. Hang in there. Best wishes to you and your family.