Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu Ray + DVD combo packs - Do you care?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blu Ray + DVD combo packs - Do you care?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: Blu Ray + DVD combo packs - Do you care?

I like having the DVD edition for playing on a laptop or on the alternate TV. It's also nice right now because our Bluray player is broken and I haven't gotten a new one yet.
Old 02-10-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

As a buyer for personal use: I enjoy them so long as I am still comfortable with what I paid for the movie. That has been the case with all the recent superhero movies....Capn A and Thor at least. 15.99 for a blu is perfectly OK by me and in no case did I feel like I was paying EXTRA fro the DVD as I just don't look at it like that...there's really no reason to assume it would have been cheaper sans the DVD as the price is up to Amazon and their mystical formula.

I also happily pass along the DVDs to friends who have not seen the flicks with much less trepidation than if it was my only copy!

As a buyer for a store: I appreciate it as it lets me sell blus as a DVD that I couldn't if they only issued a blus, as I have no blu market. Vampire Circus for example. I believe the vendors themselves also save time, money, and headaches by doing the combo packages.
Old 02-10-12, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my first Blu Ray player just before Christmas, which has altered my logic. Prior to that, I would not purposely buy any DVD with fewer features than the Blu Ray, even if the combo pack would eventually let me "trade up". (The logic being that it could be years before I'd see the extra content.) As studios are generally nudging us to Blu Ray by dropping DVD extras, this made many DVD's with a corresponding Blu Ray unappealing. I also don't tend to buy new releases, so the "combo pack" idea has rarely crossed my radar.

The only Blu Ray disk I do own is the region 2 "Metropolis" combo pack from last year, because the extras are the same (or so I recall), and because the packaging is killer.

Today, I have zero use for the DVD...but then I don't tend to loan out disks or take video with me when I travel (in-car player, laptop computer, etc.). I put off buying Tron Legacy and the re-released Tron Classic because of the extras issue, and noticed that it's impossible to buy Tron Legacy and Classic on Blu-Ray only (i.e. 2 disks). There are only combo packs, which jack up the price. There may be better prices, but I just did the math and buying the two combo packs from Amazon Marketplace would cost me $43.45 today, or the "Five-Disc Combo" for over $50. Compare that to Amazon UK, which will sell me exactly what I want (see: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE ) for just $27.91 (at current exchange rates, including shipping). Maybe this is an isolated occurrence, but I'm not impressed. The studios can keep their combo packs...and their region coding.
Old 02-10-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

For me it's money. If it's as cheap or cheaper to buy the combo pack, I'll buy it, otherwise, I still buy DVD only. I don't have a blu-ray player yet, and though I plan to get one in the future, I don't know when. So, DVD is my format of choice. I do wish they'd put the extra content on the single DVD rather than just the Blu as even if I do buy the combo, I have no way of seeing the extras at the moment.

Digital means nothing to me and if the only 'bonus' disc is digital but the studio is charging extra, that drives me nuts as I don't use it at all. I get it's all about money, but honestly, haven't they figured out that if you sell more at a lesser price you make more money than selling a few at a higher price?

Disney is about the only type of movie I go out of my way to get the combo. It's nice that with their coupons, the combo is usually cheaper than buying the single DVD for the same title, though, which makes it easier to go that route.
Old 02-11-12, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've finally entered the Blu Ray world, with the purchase of the most basic Panasonic player ($60 at Amazon). The Panasonic's upscaling of well shot DVDs is impressive; but the Blu Rays are even better. Still, I like to have a DVD copy just in case. So, if the price of the Blu/DVD package is only a few bucks more than the DVD alone--and it's a title I really, really want--that's what I'll get. I'll also pick up cheap solo Blu Rays if their cost is close to the DVD's.
Old 02-14-12, 05:50 PM

I like combo packs. I have a TV/DVD player in the bedroom and in my RV. Neither are Blu Ray. I do have a Blu Ray in my den.

If they would make more TV/Blu Ray combos, that would be better.
Old 02-14-12, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My local library started carrying blu rays. These are former combo back which they are breaking up and loaning out as individuals. Pretty cool as they are essentially doubling their inventory for a fraction of the cost.

I like them, as we don't have multiple blu ray players, yet have multiple dvd players. So we can take our movies anywhere.
Old 02-16-12, 06:47 AM

I prefer the combo packs, but this Ultraviolet crap is just BS. It is wrong that they advertise that you get a digital copy, when in fact you don't. You get access to a digital copy from a service, but the digital copy is not yours to own. While I don't watch digital copy very often, it is nice being able to throw a movie on your phone or iPad in case you get stuck somewhere.
Old 02-16-12, 10:12 AM
Cool New Member

I like it because, if someone is using the TV that has Blu-Ray Player, I can just go downstairs and watch it on the DVD Player.

Digital Copy has never been a thing I've cared for.
Old 02-16-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
For kids movies:
For everything else:
this
Old 02-16-12, 09:03 PM

I usually just give the DVD to my dad, so I think he likes the combo packs.
Old 03-22-13, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this topic's worth resurrecting, as I'm seeing more distributors like Scream Factory going the combo-only route. Any updated thoughts now that this distributing trend is more prevalent?

Severin's another company that seems to be going this route, with their recent combo pack for Zulu Dawn.
Old 03-23-13, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I like the combos so that my son can watch the dvds. They've come in handy so far.
Old 03-23-13, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
I like them, as we don't have multiple blu ray players, yet have multiple dvd players.
We have 2 dvd players, 3 blu-ray players, and 2 computers with blu-ray drives.
Old 03-23-13, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just wish there were more combo packs in dvd packaging.
Old 03-23-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I would prefer a BR+DVD+UV pack over a single disc any day of the week if it wasn't more expensive.

UV doesn't take up any room on your computer it is all cloud based, I redeem my copies on their but I have yet to really utilize them. Perhaps if I go to a friends house with lame movies we could log into my Vudu account and watch something.

For the DVD copy; sometimes they have more special features than the blu-ray so there is quite a few instances where it would be foolish to get the single release over the combo pack.
Old 03-24-13, 05:30 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Now that I've finally bought a blu-ray player, I find myself buying new movies on BD, if I can get the combo packs for a decent price (Black Friday prices) I prefer to own the combos, I feel like I'm buying the deluxe package which fits into my mindset of owning as many SE/CE's as possible. But only if the price is right.

Still buy SE/CE DVDs if the overall package is better than its BD counterpart (or if there is no BD counterpart).
Old 03-24-13, 07:59 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the combo packages because I can take them to my parents house for them to watch or anyone else's house as they only have standard DVD. But I can accept both formulas. I made the switch to blu a few years ago but I still buy Standard DVD's too. Sometimes if I really like the DVD movie that I already own I'll buy the bluray when the price goes down and stick it in the DVD case with the standard DVD and make my own combo packs. Of course it's a lot easier to do that with 2-disc DVD sets. But I only do that with movies that I really, really like. Patton was one Spaceballs was another, which turned out really nice.
Old 03-24-13, 07:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nope.
Old 03-24-13, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JOE29
I like the combo packages because I can take them to my parents house for them to watch or anyone else's house as they only have standard DVD. But I can accept both formulas. I made the switch to blu a few years ago but I still buy Standard DVD's too. Sometimes if I really like the DVD movie that I already own I'll buy the bluray when the price goes down and stick it in the DVD case with the standard DVD and make my own combo packs. Of course it's a lot easier to do that with 2-disc DVD sets. But I only do that with movies that I really, really like. Patton was one Spaceballs was another, which turned out really nice.
You bought Patton on blu-ray...on purpose ?
Old 03-25-13, 09:02 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
You bought Patton on blu-ray...on purpose ?
Yes, the last release. I stuck it in with the Patton special edition DVD set that I have. Kingdom of Heaven was another one that I did. All of those Special Features on that 4 disc set that I never watched and just took up space for years. I bought the Bluray when it went down in price got rid of the blu- case and stuck it in the DVD 4- disc set.
Old 03-25-13, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
For me it's money. If it's as cheap or cheaper to buy the combo pack, I'll buy it, otherwise, I still buy DVD only. I don't have a blu-ray player yet, and though I plan to get one in the future, I don't know when. So, DVD is my format of choice. I do wish they'd put the extra content on the single DVD rather than just the Blu as even if I do buy the combo, I have no way of seeing the extras at the moment.

Digital means nothing to me and if the only 'bonus' disc is digital but the studio is charging extra, that drives me nuts as I don't use it at all. I get it's all about money, but honestly, haven't they figured out that if you sell more at a lesser price you make more money than selling a few at a higher price?

Disney is about the only type of movie I go out of my way to get the combo. It's nice that with their coupons, the combo is usually cheaper than buying the single DVD for the same title, though, which makes it easier to go that route.
Pretty much agree other than Disney - they get the same price treatment as everyone else. I've not yet purchased a BR player so don't really care about a disk I can't yet use *but* if a "combo pack" is less expensive or the same price as the DVD only release I'll get it. I don't care about "bonus/extra" content at all and very rarely watch it. I prefer the DVD case style simply because it matches everything else on my shelves but if the BR case is less expensive (which it typical) I'll get it. They can keep their digital copies. I have no use for them at all and do not anticipate *ever* having a use for them.
Old 03-25-13, 09:40 PM
Banned

It's been 6 years, Bob. I think you can get one now.
Old 03-25-13, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Pretty much agree other than Disney - they get the same price treatment as everyone else. I've not yet purchased a BR player so don't really care about a disk I can't yet use *but* if a "combo pack" is less expensive or the same price as the DVD only release I'll get it. I don't care about "bonus/extra" content at all and very rarely watch it. I prefer the DVD case style simply because it matches everything else on my shelves but if the BR case is less expensive (which it typical) I'll get it. They can keep their digital copies. I have no use for them at all and do not anticipate *ever* having a use for them.
I bought an expensive BR player after Christmas. I find that I'm buying more single BRs and fewer DVDs but still aim for the combo packs. A big reason for me is where I watch a movie. I put the BR player on the HD TV, of course, but that's in the living room and I tend to do much of my watching in my bedroom which is still HD free. So, it makes it easier for me to buy the combos and have access to everything.

Bonus features...well, I'm more likely to spend more to get more, but like the pretty cases and fun stuff that they occasionally add now-a-days over featurettes and bonus trailers. I'll still go for the bargain price for the majority, though.

As for digital copies-well, a friend convinced me to sign up and add my Ultraviolet ones. I just got a tablet so it seemed smart to me. Of course, the past 3 weeks, I haven't been able to sync any of the sites up so I can actually watch any of the movies. Plus, my tablet, even though it's an Android, isn't considered capable of viewing movies (which it is) by Ultraviolet and Flixster. So I give up on that. I wish they'd have a digital free option and have it be 5 bucks cheaper and I'd buy those every time!