Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Snake Moan Blu-ray OOP - Price Jumps 3 Fold!! What's goin on?!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some OOP prices are going ballistic. First I found out that Bringing out the Dead went out of print and the price doubled. Now it's the Blu-ray edition of Black Snake Moan, going from 15 bucks new to 50 in matter of days.

What is goin on in the OOP world?

Edit: I just realized this too is a Paramount release. hmmmm

Last edited by vdc530; 02-04-12 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-04-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Re: Black Snake Moan Blu-ray OOP - Price Jumps 3 Fold!! What's goin on?!

It jumped threefold because Christina Ricci is naked in it.

And Paramount has been getting stingy with their back catalog. They've been farming a lot of titles out to companies like Lions Gate over the past few years and aren't releasing much themselves except for new releases and Star Trek stuff.
Old 02-04-12, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Again- fucking Paramount!
Old 02-04-12, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Again- fucking Paramount!
Something seems to be going on here and I'm betting it won't end good for the consumer.

Well...fuck Paramount...unless it's an essential purchase anything new that comes out for them will be ignored by me.
Old 02-05-12, 02:31 AM

On the other hand, seems like you should buy ANYTHING you want from Paramount that's available as soon as you can since they'll end up taking it out of print tomorrow!

They obviously expect everything they put out to sell a billion copies within the first week of release, and keep flying off the shelves at a steady pace forever afterwards- if not, there's no demand and it goes out of print. They should just license them out to one of the smaller companies that'd be happy just to sell ANY copies at all.
Old 02-09-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Funny, the Future Shop location near me was blowing out several Paramount Blu-ray titles including Black Snake Moan for $4.99. They also had Days of Thunder, Aeon Flux, Failure to Launch etc.

I'll stick to my Black Snake Moan HD-DVD.
Old 02-09-12, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wz42
Something seems to be going on here and I'm betting it won't end good for the consumer.

Well...fuck Paramount...unless it's an essential purchase anything new that comes out for them will be ignored by me.
Yes, the same thing Paramount has done since DVDs. They don't give a crap about older stuff, even if there's a demand for it. Look at when they owned the Full Moon titles. They sold the Puppet Master box set for a bit and then stopped completely. There were outrageous prices on ebay until the rights finally went back to Full Moon.

Friday the 13th is just as bad. Before the first box set came out, they acted like they were looking for old footage and other stuff. The set comes out, the first films isn't uncut and they didn't really do anything special with it.

I don't follow Star Trek but I thought there was less than desirable sets or a situation which went on with that stuff.

Paramount = Crap/Get it when and if you can. You're deluding yourself if you think they'll put out a better edition in the future.
Old 02-09-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
On the other hand, seems like you should buy ANYTHING you want from Paramount that's available as soon as you can since they'll end up taking it out of print tomorrow!

They obviously expect everything they put out to sell a billion copies within the first week of release, and keep flying off the shelves at a steady pace forever afterwards- if not, there's no demand and it goes out of print. They should just license them out to one of the smaller companies that'd be happy just to sell ANY copies at all.
It looks like Criterion will be releasing more Paramount catalog titles like Harold and Maude, so we should see some orphaned titles getting rescued. I don't understand why Paramount doesn't want to make money from their extensive catalog. They don't even have an M.O.D. program.
Old 02-09-12, 09:14 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Paramount could be reissuing quite a few in Feb and march. A partial list is on DVDplanet.com. Check side of page under preorders.
Old 02-10-12, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
It looks like Criterion will be releasing more Paramount catalog titles like Harold and Maude, so we should see some orphaned titles getting rescued. I don't understand why Paramount doesn't want to make money from their extensive catalog. They don't even have an M.O.D. program.
They've just licensed an extensive list to Olive films. Most of the unreleased Jerry Lewis, several 50s westerns, Assault on a Queen w/Sinatra.
Old 02-10-12, 05:52 PM

Wait till you guys see what World Trade Center Blu-ray is going for on Amazon....you're going to have a shit attack lol
Old 02-11-12, 12:59 AM

Was World Trade Center ever reissued on Blu-ray after HD-DVD died and Paramount got out of their exclusivity with it? (They started out with both formats, then went to just HD-DVD discontinuing whatever Blus were in print at that time, then went back to Blu when HD-DVD bit the dust.)
Old 02-11-12, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vdc530
Wait till you guys see what World Trade Center Blu-ray is going for on Amazon....you're going to have a shit attack lol
Whenever there is only one person with an inflated price, I take it with a grain of sale. Some sellers just make up prices that don't always reflect the true value.
Old 02-12-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Many prices on eBay are wildly inflated to the point where I don't understand why the seller took the time and effort to create a fancy ad and then ask a price which is ridiculous and will never sell.

eBay has become so polluted with ads like this. They sit for years in some cases with the same "Buy It Now" price.

Sorry, but "The Bourne Identity" on HD DVD isn't going to sell for $29.95 just because it is OOP!!
Old 02-12-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Many prices on eBay are wildly inflated to the point where I don't understand why the seller took the time and effort to create a fancy ad and then ask a price which is ridiculous and will never sell.

eBay has become so polluted with ads like this. They sit for years in some cases with the same "Buy It Now" price.

Sorry, but "The Bourne Identity" on HD DVD isn't going to sell for $29.95 just because it is OOP!!
I wonder if they actually have the disks?

There are book dealers on Amazon Marketplace who list used books for a couple hundred dollars more than the market value. One of them, named any_book, listed a book published by Mrs Danger, and she knew darn well that she hadn't sold a book to them. She complained to Amazon that that dealer was selling books they didn't have, but Amazon didn't care.