DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/598655-dvd-talk-new-dvd-theatrical-release-discussion-thread.html)

Mao 02-03-12 08:17 PM

DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 
The following calendar is culled from actual studio sources and our studio and distribution contacts. It is comprised of new-to-DVD/BR theatrical releases from 2011 to the present and are always subject to change. Updated/confirmed additions to the calendar are noted with a *.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 7-
3 (Drei)
5 Star Day
All's Faire In Love
Anonymous
The Elephant In The Living Room
Fireflies In The Garden
Knuckle
Project Nim
A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas
A Warrior's Heart

February 11-
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1

February 14-
The Dead
Elevate
Elite Squad: The Enemy Within
The Human Centipede 2: Full Sequence
The Interruptors
Mozart's Sister
Paranormal Activity 3 [DVD]
Pianomania
The Rum Diary
The Sons Of Tennessee Williams
Take Shelter

February 21-
Blank City
Cat Run
J. Edgar
London Boulevard
Martha Marcy May Marlene
The Mighty Macs
The Son Of No One
Tower Heist
The Way

February 24-
Puss In Boots

February 28-
Answers To Nothing
Beneath The Darkness
The Catechism Cataclysm
Hugo
I Melt With You
Johnny English Reborn
The Myth Of The American Sleepover
Tomboy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These and more can be found on the <a href=http://www.dvdtalk.com/bargain.html>DVD Talk Preorder Bargains Page</a>!

The previous New Release Calendar can be found <a href=http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/597751-dvd-talk-new-dvd-theatrical-release-discussion-thread.html>here<a>.

Mao 02-03-12 08:18 PM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 
Added:

March 13-
The Adventures Of Tintin
The Descendants
Young Adult

April 10-
The Darkest Hour

April 17-
Shame

April 24-
The Artist

mvieguy 02-04-12 06:44 AM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 
Found out why Darkest Hour and Young Adult moved off of 4/24 really fast.

turns out The Devil inside from Paramount is holding that date
Joyful Noise from Warner Bros is Holding that date
and Haywire is Holding that date.

which is weird, cause outside of Devil Inside, they really didnt perform well at the boxoffice to scare everyone away.

MI4, Coriolanus, and W.E. are the week before and New Years Eve is sitting on the 10th. and then april will be done

May is looking like Contraband, Red Tails, Underworld Awakening, The Grey, Man on a Ledge, One for the Money, The Woman in Black, Chronicle, Big Miracle, Safe House, and Tyler Perry's Good Deeds

June so far. The Vow, Star Wars Episode 1 3D, Journey 2, Ghost Rider 2, This Means War, Secret world of Arrietty, Wonderlust, Gone, and Act of Valor. also heard that Project X, The lorax, and The Raven will try to sneak into June as well John Carter is now looking like August, 21 Jump Street July, Mirror Mirror late July, The Hunger Games August, Wrath of the Titans August, American Reunion Mid August.

philip74 02-04-12 12:54 PM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 
thanks so much for that huge update! some exciting news, would be awesome if safe house is already out in may!
from the may titles, do you have some clue which will be out the first tuesday in may?


Originally Posted by mvieguy (Post 11102333)
Found out why Darkest Hour and Young Adult moved off of 4/24 really fast.

turns out The Devil inside from Paramount is holding that date
Joyful Noise from Warner Bros is Holding that date
and Haywire is Holding that date.

which is weird, cause outside of Devil Inside, they really didnt perform well at the boxoffice to scare everyone away.

MI4, Coriolanus, and W.E. are the week before and New Years Eve is sitting on the 10th. and then april will be done

May is looking like Contraband, Red Tails, Underworld Awakening, The Grey, Man on a Ledge, One for the Money, The Woman in Black, Chronicle, Big Miracle, Safe House, and Tyler Perry's Good Deeds

June so far. The Vow, Star Wars Episode 1 3D, Journey 2, Ghost Rider 2, This Means War, Secret world of Arrietty, Wonderlust, Gone, and Act of Valor. also heard that Project X, The lorax, and The Raven will try to sneak into June as well John Carter is now looking like August, 21 Jump Street July, Mirror Mirror late July, The Hunger Games August, Wrath of the Titans August, American Reunion Mid August.


dolphinboy 02-04-12 06:31 PM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 
Wow, March already had 9 new films (not counting catalogs) and, while I'm glad to get Young Adult much sooner, I wish they'd gone with the end of February. 10 new blus and 6 catalogs that month are the most non black Friday purchases in a month since I went to blu. Good thing I saved ALL of my holiday cards.

So, Young Adult was afraid of a movie that got terrible reviews and didn't do that well in theaters, but didn't mind going up against the Descendants and, to a lesser extent, Melancholia? Weird how they make decisions.

mvieguy 02-05-12 06:54 AM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 

Originally Posted by dolphinboy (Post 11102906)
Wow, March already had 9 new films (not counting catalogs) and, while I'm glad to get Young Adult much sooner, I wish they'd gone with the end of February. 10 new blus and 6 catalogs that month are the most non black Friday purchases in a month since I went to blu. Good thing I saved ALL of my holiday cards.

So, Young Adult was afraid of a movie that got terrible reviews and didn't do that well in theaters, but didn't mind going up against the Descendants and, to a lesser extent, Melancholia? Weird how they make decisions.

Well to be honest

The Devil Inside is around $60 Million
Joyful Noise is at around $30 Million
Haywire is at around $25 Million (extimated Run)

Young Adult has grossed $17 Million going up against

Melancholia -$6 Million
Adv of TinTin - $75 Million
The Descendants - $60 Million
The Three Musketeers - $25 Million


Young Adults Box Office - $17 Million


so take out the Family Movie TinTin and you see why Young Adult wants to counter program against other Oscar Contender The Descendants. Muskeeteers and Melancholia showed no box office Muscle. yet the three films on the 24th, averaged $115 Million total, the three minus the Kids film on March 13th averaged 91 Million.

and thats how they choose the date

dolphinboy 02-06-12 03:51 PM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 

Originally Posted by mvieguy (Post 11103332)
Well to be honest

The Devil Inside is around $60 Million
Joyful Noise is at around $30 Million
Haywire is at around $25 Million (extimated Run)

Young Adult has grossed $17 Million going up against

Melancholia -$6 Million
Adv of TinTin - $75 Million
The Descendants - $60 Million
The Three Musketeers - $25 Million


Young Adults Box Office - $17 Million


so take out the Family Movie TinTin and you see why Young Adult wants to counter program against other Oscar Contender The Descendants. Muskeeteers and Melancholia showed no box office Muscle. yet the three films on the 24th, averaged $115 Million total, the three minus the Kids film on March 13th averaged 91 Million.

and thats how they choose the date

Averaged 115/91 million? The Descendants made another 5 million this weekend.

iStylez 02-06-12 03:55 PM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 
The iron lady is confirmed for 4/10 by videoeta and dvdsreleasedates


And thank you for the updates mvieguy

And by this rate the desendecants has a great chance at getting to $75

iStylez 02-06-12 03:56 PM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 
Plus the devil insides box office run is going very bad. It should of at least made $70 million.

Mao 02-06-12 08:01 PM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 
Added:

April 3-
Benda Bilili!
Chasing Madoff

April 10-
The Iron Lady

April 17-
The Divide
Farmageddon

April 24-
The Innkeepers

mvieguy 02-07-12 04:34 AM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 

Originally Posted by dolphinboy (Post 11105139)
Averaged 115/91 million? The Descendants made another 5 million this weekend.

LOL Hey I didnt come up with this system, the studios did. although the point is. they would rather have it go against The Descendants, post academy awards, then wait until late April, when barely anyone remembers it when it starts to get mixed in with the 2012 stuff.

Paramount and Warner were notorious for waiting long windows, in 1994 Paramount waited almost 11 months to release Searching for Bobby Fisher on VHS. they released it during a time when Waynes world 2, The Adams Family Values, etc were all strong titles. and it got lost in the shuffle

iStylez 02-07-12 01:07 PM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 
Machine gun preacher- 4/24 from Ruly2 from joblo

philip74 02-07-12 03:58 PM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 

Originally Posted by iStylez (Post 11106222)
Machine gun preacher- 4/24 from Ruly2 from joblo

finally!! keeping my fingers crossed that date sticks!

Mao 02-11-12 12:09 PM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 
Added:

April 24-
11-11-11 (New Date)
Crime After Crime (New Date)
Return
Young Goethe In Love

May 8-
Underworld: Awakening

May 29-
Ultrasuede: In Search Of Halston

dolphinboy 02-11-12 01:55 PM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 

Originally Posted by Mao (Post 11111593)
Added:

April 24-
11-11-11 (New Date)
Crime After Crime (New Date)
Return
Young Goethe In Love

May 8-
Underworld: Awakening

May 29-
Ultrasuede: In Search Of Halston

Mao, do you get information on whether a release will come in dvd, blu or both?

Return struggled to get released and pretty much spent no time in theaters, so I'm wondering if they'll release it on bd. Do you happen to know?

Thanks.

Mao 02-11-12 04:15 PM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 

Originally Posted by dolphinboy (Post 11111684)
Mao, do you get information on whether a release will come in dvd, blu or both?

Return struggled to get released and pretty much spent no time in theaters, so I'm wondering if they'll release it on bd. Do you happen to know?

Thanks.

dolphinboy,
It's only scheduled for a DVD release at this time. Just started a theatrical run yesterday in Los Angeles...sounds interesting.

Living Deadpan 02-12-12 01:17 AM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 
Mao, any reason you're not adding The Theatre Bizarre (2011)? Its DVD premiere is 4/24/12.

IMDB list of release dates: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1763316/releaseinfo
Image Entertainment DVD listing: http://image-entertainment.com/produ...e-af4fb17cce08
DVD Aficionado: http://www.dvdaf.com/price-one.html?dvd=0168917
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B006U49SC6/

Any more citation necessary?

Also premiering on DVD & Blu-ray on 4/24/12 is The Wicker Tree (2010). Which I do not recommend at all, but nonetheless on April 24th it will have the opportunity to disappoint a great number of people on DVD & Blu-ray. (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...r+tree&x=0&y=0)

dolphinboy 02-12-12 02:01 AM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 

Originally Posted by Mao (Post 11111776)
dolphinboy,
It's only scheduled for a DVD release at this time. Just started a theatrical run yesterday in Los Angeles...sounds interesting.

Thanks. Very disappointing, because it probably will only get that dvd release. Maybe on-demand will show it in HD.

It looks really great to me and was SO hoping for a release on bd. But when I saw it on your list, I had a bad feeling and there's probably no chance this will even get released outside of the U.S.

Mao 02-12-12 02:23 AM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan (Post 11112282)
Mao, any reason you're not adding The Theatre Bizarre (2011)? Its DVD premiere is 4/24/12.

IMDB list of release dates: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1763316/releaseinfo
Image Entertainment DVD listing: http://image-entertainment.com/produ...e-af4fb17cce08
DVD Aficionado: http://www.dvdaf.com/price-one.html?dvd=0168917
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B006U49SC6/

Any more citation necessary?

Also premiering on DVD & Blu-ray on 4/24/12 is The Wicker Tree (2010). Which I do not recommend at all, but nonetheless on April 24th it will have the opportunity to disappoint a great number of people on DVD & Blu-ray. (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...r+tree&x=0&y=0)

The two films you listed never received a substantial release or box office in the US, hence they are not included on this list....I do love the art for "The Theatre Bizarre", though. :D

clr2607 02-12-12 03:14 AM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 
bluray.com says that a possible dvd release date for the devil inside could be 5/15....
oh,and a unconfirmed/unannounced date for contraband?

Living Deadpan 02-12-12 11:57 AM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 

Originally Posted by Mao (Post 11112307)
The two films you listed never received a substantial release or box office in the US, hence they are not included on this list....I do love the art for "The Theatre Bizarre", though. :D

The Wicker Tree received a limited theatrical release like The Innkeepers (on the list, also for 4/24). Both The Wicker Tree & The Innkeepers played on 1 arthouse screen for 1 week in the Phoenix area. http://www.thewickertreemovie.com/showtimes.html

Sorry, I'm not trying to be stubborn. I just want to know what constitutes a substantial release so I don't contribute anything unqualified in the future. "The Dead" had a pretty limited release, so that's why I thought these films would qualify too.

The Theatre Bizarre only played at Festivals, I think. But The Wicker Tree did have a nationwide release like The Innkeepers.

Skynet 02-13-12 03:41 AM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 
Have there been any rumblings for Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory or West of Memphis?? I know West of Memphis was just at Sundance, not sure if it got picked up (Im sure it did). But I got rid of HBO a while back, and wasn't able to watch Paradise Lost 3... and now I am EAGERLY awaiting the chance to see it! (The first 2 Documentaries are amazing and frightening)

Thanks in advance!

Mao 02-13-12 08:33 PM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan (Post 11112548)
The Wicker Tree received a limited theatrical release like The Innkeepers (on the list, also for 4/24). Both The Wicker Tree & The Innkeepers played on 1 arthouse screen for 1 week in the Phoenix area. http://www.thewickertreemovie.com/showtimes.html

Sorry, I'm not trying to be stubborn. I just want to know what constitutes a substantial release so I don't contribute anything unqualified in the future. "The Dead" had a pretty limited release, so that's why I thought these films would qualify too.

The Theatre Bizarre only played at Festivals, I think. But The Wicker Tree did have a nationwide release like The Innkeepers.

No worries!

To be honest, I tend to use Academy guidelines: plays in LA County, reviewed in the Times, etc. Hope that doesn't seem too snobby. A few more movies get released in New York City....if it causes a dent, I list it, though.

Dark.Devil.21 02-13-12 11:41 PM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 
What really is very frustrating is that, The Iron Lady and The Artist which opened in theaters not even a month ago are already announced for DVD/Blu-ray release, while no word on Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol yet.

Living Deadpan 02-13-12 11:55 PM

Re: DVD Talk New-To-DVD Theatrical Release and Discussion Thread
 

Originally Posted by Dark.Devil.21 (Post 11114575)
What really is very frustrating is that, The Iron Lady and The Artist which opened in theaters not even a month ago are already announced for DVD/Blu-ray release,

I think studios view some theatrical screenings, particularly for smaller arthouse fare, more as "DVD/Blu-ray previews" than full-fledged releases in and of themselves. The digital projection I saw The Wicker Tree on looked like shit, all pixellated. Last movie I saw at the cinema prior to that was Dragon Tattoo, and the digital projection for that looked great.

If that explanation's too cynical, it could also be that smaller arthouse films have been floating around for a while before getting a wide release, so the studios have had much more time to prepare for the DVD/Blu-ray. The Iron Lady & The Artist had been around a long time before Awards season drew more attention to them. In fact they might already be on home video if it wasn't for the studio politics of award season.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.