Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Even though you're a completist, You just CAN'T bring yourself to buy this movie..

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Even though you're a completist, You just CAN'T bring yourself to buy this movie..

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-12, 10:37 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: Even though you're a completist, You just CAN'T bring yourself to buy this movie.

Originally Posted by Shawerma
which 3 of the roger moores do you have. My prediction is the spy who loved me, The Man with the golden gun,and for your eyes only
Close, Spy Who Loved Me, Man the the Golden Gun and Live and Let Die (How can you not love a young Jane Seymour).
Old 01-19-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Even though you're a completist, You just CAN'T bring yourself to buy this movie.

any direct-to-dvd movie that carries on the "franchise name" without really being a sequel.

Other than that, I haven't really hated a real movie sequel to ban it from my collection. The sequels may not have been as good as the original, but if I like the franchise enough, I can usually find some redeeming quality in the sequels.
Old 01-19-12, 07:51 PM
Banned

I refuse to have anything to do with anything after Terminator 2. I have the cgi TMNT movie because it's in the blu-ray collection, but I'll never do anything with it.
Old 01-19-12, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I have the cgi TMNT movie because it's in the blu-ray collection, but I'll never do anything with it.
It's no worse than the abortion that was Turtles in Time.
Old 01-19-12, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Star Wars--I've got the original and The Empire Strikes Back, and that's plenty for me, thanks. I stopped the Friday the 13th series at #6, because the rest are either too brain-dead for my tastes, too boring, or both.
Old 01-19-12, 09:57 PM

Rocky V. Fuck that shit.
Old 01-20-12, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubya
As for movies, the fourth Indiana Jones movie would qualify.
Fair enough, if you grew up with the original Indiana Jones films. If you're like me though, as good or as bad as that film was, for some of us that film was our gateway into the series.

As for films I'd never own...anything after Jaws, only the first one was good. I'm sure there's more but I cant recall at the moment.
Old 01-20-12, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Indiana Jones IV

When Circuit City was going out of business, I had a chance to pick up a copy for $2...and still passed
Old 01-20-12, 12:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Terminator Salvation, I will NEVER buy that movie, but I own the first 3.

I don't own any of the DTV American Pie films, never seen them either.

I'm not sure if this counts but I own the first Addams Family films but not that stupid Addams Family Reunion film.

I own Night of the Living Dead, Dawn, Day, Land and Survival, but I cannot bring myself to buy Diary of the Dead. I just hated that movie so much!

I won't buy Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 because I don't even know what the fuck is going on in that movie!
Old 01-20-12, 01:57 PM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Loved the first and third. Didn't care for the second and fourth.
Old 01-20-12, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up seasons 1-5 of Buffy as they came out, but I refuse to own seasons 6 or 7. In fact, I haven't gone back and watched the previous seasons after the last two sucked all enjoyment out of the show for me.

Originally Posted by mickey65
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Loved the first and third. Didn't care for the second and fourth.
The seemingly universal hate for Temple of Doom is one of those things I never knew existed until the internet. Loved Temple, everybody I know loves Temple, and most folks I know thought Last Crusade was only okay at best.
Old 01-20-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Preterite
The seemingly universal hate for Temple of Doom is one of those things I never knew existed until the internet. Loved Temple, everybody I know loves Temple, and most folks I know thought Last Crusade was only okay at best.
Agreed. One thing that love about Temple of Doom is that it's completely different from Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's not just a rehash of the plot; it is its own movie. Last Crusade was okay, maybe a little better than okay, but definitely the least of the first three Indiana Jones movies in my book.

You might want to read the review of Temple of Doom and Last Crusade found here: http://www.dvdjournal.com/reviews/a/...anajones.shtml
Old 01-21-12, 02:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Monkees

I don't own any of the DTV American Pie films, never seen them either.

I'm not sure if this counts but I own the first Addams Family films but not that stupid Addams Family Reunion film.

I own Night of the Living Dead, Dawn, Day, Land and Survival, but I cannot bring myself to buy Diary of the Dead. I just hated that movie so much!

I won't buy Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 because I don't even know what the fuck is going on in that movie!
The only DTV American Pie movie that is anywhere near as good as the originals is Band Camp. I'm not saying it's a good movie, because it's not. But it's far above the other DTVs.

I feel the same about the post series Munsters movies. It's just not the same without the original people.

I agree about the Blair Witch 2. The first one is a classic, but the second one is just horrible in every conceivable way.
Old 01-24-12, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm on board with Terminator 3. Seen it in the $5 bin quite a few times and never picked up.

Other notables for me include:

Jurassic Park 3 - First one is great. Second one is good and underrated. Third I was not impressed by.

Hannibal Rising - Obviously love Silence of the Lams. Hannibal was decent. Red Dragon was great. Don't remember enjoying the fourth installment - a prequel.

Others include - Ace Ventura Jr and Home Alone 4 (didn't think the 3rd was all that bad).
Old 01-24-12, 01:40 AM

I found all the nightmare on elm street films in 2 sets of 4 film favorites. As far as I am concerned though that second film is non-existent in the set.
Old 01-24-12, 10:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gp1086
Jurassic Park 3 - First one is great. Second one is good and underrated. Third I was not impressed by.
I don't think anyone was impressed with that one! I only have it because it came with the trilogy I own.

I have Home Alone 4 but I didn't buy it. If it wasn't given to me, I don't think I would've bought it just to complete tat franchise (so irrelevant to the previous movies).
Old 01-24-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by supermike07
I don't think anyone was impressed with that one! I only have it because it came with the trilogy I own.

I have Home Alone 4 but I didn't buy it. If it wasn't given to me, I don't think I would've bought it just to complete tat franchise (so irrelevant to the previous movies).
I never even watched it. Had no desire, and I absolutely LOVE the first two - childhood favorites.
Old 01-24-12, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by HollywoodLights
I found all the nightmare on elm street films in 2 sets of 4 film favorites. As far as I am concerned though that second film is non-existent in the set.
Originally Posted by supermike07

Sounds like an idea for another thread...films we own, yet we pretend that we don't.
Old 01-24-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by The Monkees

You should give them both another run, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 01-24-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Batman & Robin. I got the box set when it came out and promptly sold it off. The ebay buyer asked me if I had a full screen copy by any chance, so I knew it was going to an appropriate home.
Old 01-24-12, 01:00 PM
Cool New Member

When you look up sequels to never buy in the dictionary, you see a picture of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 4. All other bad sequels try to be as bad as this one. I only own the first 3 TCM movies.
Old 01-24-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Lots of obvious answers so far. Since no one else has mentioned it, I'll nominate this turd:

Spoiler:
Old 01-24-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
You might want to read the review of Temple of Doom and Last Crusade found here: http://www.dvdjournal.com/reviews/a/...anajones.shtml
He articulates a lot of points I've made in the defense of Temple, including the one about Short Round being one of the least annoying kid sidekicks in moviedom. Last Crusade just feels like a rehash of the first film, what with the Nazis in the desert and all.

Spurred by a thread in the DVD subforum, I thought of another film I don't/won't own even though I have the rest in the "series": the Marx Bros' Love Happy.
Old 01-25-12, 01:51 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speed 2
Old 01-25-12, 03:19 PM

I loved The Silence Of The Lambs and Hannibal, Hannibal Rising was pretty good as well. But no way am I spending money on the monstrosity that is Red Dragon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.