Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 6th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/26 - 2/26)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 6th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/26 - 2/26)

Old 02-02-12, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 6th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/26 - 2/26)

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
See, this should teach me not to launch into casual conversation about a movie I haven't seen in 10 years. I just did some research (the movie's so old I found a D-VHS version ), and the songwriter I was thinking of was Ivor Novello (an actual character in the movie, and someone I know even less about than Noel Coward), not Coward. So why was there a resurgence of interest in Coward? Maybe there wasn't. I do remember this crossover-type album vividly, but perhaps it was completely unrelated to Gosford Park.
Holy damn, dude! The CD is out of print and starts at around $85 on Amazon Marketplace! So if you've got that lying around and you need some cash, there ya go.

The album was released 17 September 2002, and the Gosford Park DVD came out 25 June. My guess is that perhaps you went shopping someplace like a Barnes and Noble or Borders where they were both featured at the same time? Someone else may have a better recollection of the two and why you would conflate them.
Old 02-02-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Taking a night off to honor the today's holiday and watch Groundhog Day. How did this get no Oscar nominations for screenplay!? Was hoping this could be my first bonus rewatch!
Old 02-02-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
Holy damn, dude! The CD is out of print and starts at around $85 on Amazon Marketplace! So if you've got that lying around and you need some cash, there ya go.

The album was released 17 September 2002, and the Gosford Park DVD came out 25 June. My guess is that perhaps you went shopping someplace like a Barnes and Noble or Borders where they were both featured at the same time? Someone else may have a better recollection of the two and why you would conflate them.
Well, who couldn't use some cash? I'm pretty sure I have it and I'm pretty sure it's unopened. Now to find it among my shelves of media....
Old 02-03-12, 01:14 AM

The Noel Coward Songbook CD starts at $1.87 used, pennies on eBay. If you want to pay $80 for some shrink wrap, be my guest.
Old 02-03-12, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JerryKILL View Post
The Noel Coward Songbook CD starts at $1.87 used, pennies on eBay. If you want to pay $80 for some shrink wrap, be my guest.
Well, in fairness, I 1) hadn't checked eBay mostly on account of the fact I was simply using Amazon to find release dates and 2) was only suggesting this to sellers--not buyers.
Old 02-03-12, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a rough night and went to bed around 10, but I got back up around 2 this morning and decided to stream something. I wound up picking No Man's Land, 2001's Best Foreign Language Film. It's about a Bosnian and Serbian who get caught in the no man's land between their respective front lines. Somewhat obvious, but gripping all the same. I kept thinking how the three main cast members looked like Timothy Dalton, Jack Black and Gary Burghoff. Also, it's really three different Star Trek episodes. Act I is The Next Generation episode, "Face of the Enemy." Act II is Deep Space Nine's "The Ship," and Act III is the original series's "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield."

Strangely, I seem to have reacted to not being able to view all five 2001 Best Cinematography nominees as planned by delving further into other 2001 nominees and winners. I think I'm just going to keep going with that theme for a while. I've seen several of them before; I don't know if I'll re-watch those or try to keep to first-time viewings only.

No Man's Land (2001)
(W) Foreign Language Film - Bosnia & Herzegovina

Last edited by Travis McClain; 02-07-12 at 01:21 PM. Reason: added award nomination information
Old 02-03-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just added Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Gosford Park to my "must watch" list. I'm trying to watch more films for the first time instead of those classics that I enjoy annually (50/50 split so far). I still found myself watching On the Waterfront last night. Now my son wants to watch Gladiator for the first time. How can I deny him?
Old 02-03-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, in fairness, I 1) hadn't checked eBay mostly on account of the fact I was simply using Amazon to find release dates and 2) was only suggesting this to sellers--not buyers.
Yeah, JerryKILL's snark seems misdirected
Old 02-03-12, 07:05 PM

It's time for the French Connection (1st time viewing).
Old 02-03-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Decided to keep going with my 2001 theme and streamed Elling, a Norwegian nominee for Foreign Language Film. It's a variation on The Odd Couple, but in this case the two guys are brought together as mentally challenged patients who are discharged to try living together in an apartment. It's a nice little movie and I rather enjoyed it, but I can easily see why No Man's Land bested it. I felt that the story was too paint-by-numbers, and could have taken more chances. In fairness, though, it was based upon a novel so perhaps there wasn't much room for such things (though for all I know, they gutted the source material).

Potential streamers be advised: it is not anamorphic via Netflix streaming.

Elling (2001)
(N) Foreign Language Film - Norway

Last edited by Travis McClain; 02-03-12 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added award nomination information
Old 02-03-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just streamed Memento, another first time viewing. Interesting premise, decent performances...but I got bored. There, I said it. This was up for two nominations; Film Editing (Dody Dorn) and Original Screenplay (Christopher Nolan, from a short story by his brother Jonathan). I haven't seen Black Hawk Down yet (though it's in my queue) so I can't say that it deserved to lose Film Editing, but I do think that perhaps some of the enthusiasm for its editing was erroneously misplaced from the structure of the narrative, where the credit ought to have gone. This is not to say that there aren't some nifty edits in Memento, mind you. I just think that for some people, the non-linear nature of the film may have led them to think more highly of the editing than they should have.

Memento (2000) [2001 Awards]
(N) Film Editing - Dody Dorn
(N) Writing (Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen) - Screenplay by Christopher Nolan, Story by Jonathan Nolan
Old 02-04-12, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched Jezebel, my second Bette Davis film of the challenge. She's been one of my favorite actresses ever since I watched All About Eve. I love the little touches in the film. For example, at one point Davis's character remarks that it is 1850, not the Dark Ages. Also, there is a moment when characters discuss their hatred of abolitionists while being served by a older slave and fanned by a young slave.

After that, I switched gears and rewatched The Naked City, one of my favorite police procedurals. When I watched it for the first time on TCM, I remember Robert Osbourne stating in his introduction that it captured the pre-television feel of major cities, when people ventured out and largely spent a majority of their time outside. I love the milling crowds.
Old 02-04-12, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just streamed Memento, another first time viewing. Interesting premise, decent performances...but I got bored. There, I said it.
I thought I was the only one. I thought that with such an interesting premise and talented actors that I would love it but, not so much.

Watched Shampoo yesterday and wow Beatty's character was unlikeable on every level. Despite the issues with West Side Story's blu I broke down and bought it. I watched it in Pow mode which featured interviews with some of the folks associated with the film and stage productions as well as just folks from the dance world stalking about the choreography. Quite informative and the film is still awesome and I'm not someone who normally cares for musicals. Also watched Jaws like I do every year and that movie just doesn't get old. Williams' score really does make the film special.
Old 02-04-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lisadoris View Post
I thought I was the only one. I thought that with such an interesting premise and talented actors that I would love it but, not so much.
I don't want to derail this thread into yet another endless back-and-forth about Christopher Nolan, but my problem with Memento was the same problem I have with all of his movies except the Batman work: his stories are entirely too cold. Intellectually, I find them intriguing, but I am never emotionally invested on any level.

I liken his storytelling to a psychopath, who mimics emotions but cannot feel them personally. Nolan tells me that his characters are upset, but never upsets me. The best example of this is Inception, in which the very talented Leonardo DiCaprio is basically asked to "Tell the audience you're upset." He tries, but it just seems like he was on too short a leash to actually reach me. Now, I've seen the guy in several other movies where he did affect me; I know the problem was not DiCaprio.

Kubrick is often characterized in much the same way: "cold," "cerebral" and "distant" are three frequently cited pejoratives against his filmography. I've seen shamefully few of his works, but enough that I would argue Kubrick understood emotion. He took a scientist's approach to storytelling and tried to offer perspective on it, but he allowed his characters to be emotional, and his actors to show it. Not so with Nolan. I don't think Nolan could have made Eyes Wide Shut, for instance (off topic: WTF was up with that not getting at least a single nomination?!).
Old 02-04-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even though I (Still) haven't watched as much as I'd like to, I had my first surprise earlier with Seabiscuit. Didn't expect the movie to be as much about Jeff Bridges & Chris Coopers' characters (Mcguire & the horse almost seemed like secondary characters at times). Though the film felt routine towards the end, the movie's first hour had already won me over (Most favorite moments were the narration & photographs)
Old 02-04-12, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just checked a big one off my never-watched list: All About Eve!

Loved it. My kid always refuses to watch anything in black and white, but watching this reminded me how the story and the acting are what matter. (Not my bias--I just saw The Artist--but it's good to have a reminder now and then.)

As famous as this movie is, I'm pleased that I went in not even knowing who the title character was.
Old 02-04-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just finished streaming The Affair of the Necklace, a fictionalization of a scandal that cast quite a shadow over Marie-Antionette and, by extension, the aristocracy (particularly the House of Bourbon). The film does a nice job spinning a yarn, and is mindful to have some fun along the way. 18th & 19th Century France is my favorite historical era, so I was captivated by a lot of the film that had nothing to do with the actual narrative.

I did think about it, though, that it's a film that very much reflects the Clinton 90s rather than the 21st Century so far. It has a sort of bemused interest in the affairs of the upper class, kind of like a soap opera, where the role that the incident played in the escalating political climate was presented as peripheral. Today, this film could not be made without beating us over the head with a message of populism prevailing over corrupt, powerful elites. I think if the film had come out just a little sooner, it may have earned quite a place in film discussions. As it was, the world had changed dramatically by the time of its release (30 November 2011). Squabbling about some white collar crime involving French aristocrats just didn't seem important when the film opened.

The Affair of the Necklace [2001 Awards]
(N) Costume Design - Milena Canonero
Old 02-05-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hulu has Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain! Woot! So I streamed that in bed late last night and fell in love all over again. I resented the commercial interruptions, but since it's not streaming via Netflix and I still don't own it, I shouldn't complain. I'm certain it was discussed ten years ago, but I would very much like to resurrect in the context of this thread the impact that 9/11 had on the voting. Looking at its nominations (five of 'em, no less!) and the fact it was snubbed entirely is awfully suspicious. How could a foreign language film with nominations in four other categories fail to capture Foreign Language Film? It lost to No Man's Land which, in the zeitgeist of the voting period, must have seemed a more "worthy" recipient. Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain is charming, yes, but it's not about the futility of war.

I have so far stuck with movies nominated during the 74th Awards and now I'm captivated to continue with that specific theme. I'm interested to see if I can tell how and why certain trends emerged that year, the first in the wake of 9/11. It was the year there was no red carpet ceremony, you know, another little element that I suspect is already fading into being little more than a footnote in film history. Not that it's terribly important overall, but I find it telling of the psychology of the Academy at the time.

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain [2001 Awards]
(N) Art Direction - Art Direction: Aline Bonetto; Set Decoration: Marie-Laure Valla
(N) Cinematography - Bruno Delbonnel
(N) Foreign Language Film - France
(N) Sound - Vincent Arnardi, Guillaume Leriche, Jean Umansky
(N) Writing (Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen) - Screenplay by Guillaume Laurant and Jean-Pierre Jeunet; Dialogue by Guillaume Laurant
Old 02-05-12, 10:01 PM

Watching "The Lion King" for the first time. Most of my friends are in shock that I haven't seen it. I'm in shock that they have never seen any films by Kurosawa or Bergman.
Old 02-05-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched (The Original) Ladykillers earlier. Was there a reason why Alec Guinness was made up to look like Alastair Sim?
Old 02-06-12, 01:24 PM
Mao

Can we get our lists thread sticky, please?

On a side note, had the time to get to "Wings" on Blu-Ray last night! What a wonderful experience...years since I've seen it and felt like I was seeing it in a completely new light! If you have a chance to seek it out - find it or buy it! This is what the future of film restoration needs to be!
Old 02-06-12, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

iTunes has The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore as a free download (in HD, no less!) this week. It is one of the nominees for Best Short Film (Animated) this year. Not too shabby!
Old 02-07-12, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrTerrific View Post
Watching "The Lion King" for the first time. Most of my friends are in shock that I haven't seen it. I'm in shock that they have never seen any films by Kurosawa or Bergman.
Did you enjoy it? I hope so. It's one of my favorite Disney films. As a kid, I had all the songs memorized and tried to mimic the voices.

I also have friends who have never seen a Kurosawa or Bergman film. However, my biggest shock came one evening when I was having drinks with a group of friends. Through conversation, it was established that out of eight people, I was the only one who had seen Casablanca, had seen a film starring Humphrey Bogart or Ingrid Bergman, and knew who Lauren Bacall was. I was dumbfounded!

I watched Cinema Paradiso which is such a beautiful film. I'm not going to lie - I cried at several points. It was very moving. I enjoy films about film and films about characters who love film.
Old 02-07-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Lion King - I maintain it has the best soundtrack in the entire Disney canon and it is also the greatest adaptation of "Hamlet" ever made. (Sure, it doesn't have Olivier...but it does have a baboon with a staff!)

Re: Casablanca - Until just a couple years ago, I would have been among your Philistine friends who hadn't seen it. I had seen The Maltese Falcon about a decade ago, but I honestly don't remember a thing from it. Not sure to this day if I've seen anything else with Ingrid Bergman. I did, however, know who Lauren Bacall was so there's that. Also, I saw my first Bergman movie in 2010 for the Criterion Collection Challenge here on DVD Talk and I have yet to see my first Kurosawa. Yet, I've made time to see Talladega Nights multiple times. I'm a heathen.
Old 02-07-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

iTunes has The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore as a free download (in HD, no less!) this week. It is one of the nominees for Best Short Film (Animated) this year. Not too shabby!
Thanks for the heads-up. What an adorable film the story was beautiful as was the animation (though as a teacher I think I'm biased for anything having to do with books and reading).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.