DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

January 2012 TV on DVD* Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 12-31-11, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: January 2012 TV on DVD* Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
edit:
Batch of stuff from the 1920s - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVuwR...D68FC44CF9E9E0
Don't believe everything you read on YouTube. That first clip is from a 1946 The March of Time newsreel titled "Problem Drinkers." Here are some screencaps from my copy.

Old 12-31-11, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Don't believe everything you read on YouTube. That first clip is from a 1946 The March of Time newsreel titled "Problem Drinkers." Here are some screencaps from my copy.
Folks, I believe we have trouble - right here in River City!
Old 12-31-11, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth
while not sure how to go about some checklist items like stunt or knowing what will they or wont they?
Some guest star coming on a show to do a stunt of some sort.

The second would be the episode where they finally reveal if they will or won't get married/kiss/start dating/etc.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I think I'll just drop the 1920s and add in "watch a clip show".
Old 12-31-11, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Since both of these were my suggestions (thanks for including, MP!), I thought I should add my thoughts.

Some guest star coming on a show to do a stunt of some sort.
From wiki: "Stunt casting is a term in casting that refers to hiring well known actors, such as movie stars, to play bit parts on television series and in films."

The first thought that came to mind was Tom Hanks in Family Ties, but I checked his career timeline and that was before he was a real star. A better example would be someone who has ties to the Superman universe appearing in Smallville (which happened nearly every episode--e.g., Christopher Reeve, Teri Hatcher, Helen Slater).

The second would be the episode where they finally reveal if they will or won't get married/kiss/start dating/etc.
That's the PG version. My intention was to include any episode from a show in which that kind of flirtation was a constant subplot (well, I guess other than an episode after it's actually happened): Castle, Chuck, Moonlighting, Silk Stalkings, X-Files, etc. But not my challenge so any ruling is fine with me.
Old 12-31-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shows what I know. Stunt casting should also include voice work in South Park. They have a decent amount of celebrities doing amusing work that doesn't induce eye rolling when it happens on The Simpsons.

Even the PG rated shows have a season or two of will they or won't they going on. Doesn't matter what type of show it's on, if it's there, it's good.
Old 12-31-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I don't remember if I made this suggestion in this thread or not, or if I made it last year, but I think people should watch TV from at least three different countries aside from the U.S.
Old 12-31-11, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll add that in too but I want to make it any country for those few folks that reside outside the US that participate.
Old 12-31-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Less than an hour to go. I'm starting things off with Land of the Lost.
Old 12-31-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this has already been brought up but I would like to put in my 2 cents. I don't really like the whole 23 minute episode counts as 1/2 an entry instead of 1 entry. If you're watching sitcoms then the episodes should count as 1 not 1/2. I understand in other challenges half hour episodes count as 1/2 or 1/4 entry because most of the other challenges are movie based. But this challenge in TV based so any episode at least 20 minutes in length should count as 1.
Old 12-31-11, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of the reasons I don't want to do a half hour show is that you'll get 4 entries for movies, like mst3k or things on Lifetime. That would make it way to easy to hit 100 since you wouldn't even have to watch 1 movie a day to reach that goal.

Just remember that I'm just a temp dictator that will give up his power at the end of this challenge and let the rightful ruler reclaim his throne.
Old 12-31-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I like the method for counting. Look at this way--you're not counting entries/items, but rather hours of television.
Old 01-01-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

^I like it too, in spite of playing "devil's advocate" for shorter entries earlier in the thread. When watching 30 minute programs I tend to think in "hours watched" rather than number of episodes watched. The hour length checklist covers all lengths of TV content fairly equally. Even then, hitting 100 is fairly easy as the *true* time watched is more like 45 minutes per entry rather than the typical 1 1/2 hour or more per entry on movie challenges.
Old 01-01-12, 12:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Put me down as another who likes the counting method for the list purposes. I also keep a running total of the # of episodes and the time.

Starting off this morning with Roar. Been awhile since I've seen this and I'm now realizing why Vera Farmiga always looked so familiar. (Must never have been bothered enough to look it up.)
Old 01-01-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Getting off to a fairly good start, got two entries on my list already, and tonight I plan to finish the last ep of disc 1 of Life and work through disc 2 of Life, so in the first day of the challenge, get halfway through the first series on my list.
Old 01-01-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Time for a sticky on the list thread.
Old 01-01-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've started by lining up and watching series for which I've made blind-buys of S1 but never got around to viewing. Kicked things off with According to Jim - while it's not "great" it's quite servicable so far (it doesn't hurt that I've had a "thing" for Courtney Thorne-Smith since I first saw her in Summer School - the main reason I picked up S1). I plan to watch Community next as I picked up S1 last year from amazon at a great price and S2 is on sale at Target this week ($15). If S1 proves to be good enough I'll have time to get a reasonably priced S2 copy. I've tried to plan a few series to watch but the list changes every time I look over the unopened piles. I'll probably just "wing it" with whatever strikes my fancy at the end of each season.
Old 01-01-12, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Maybe after the holiday challenge is over....
Old 01-01-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I put the request in a couple days ago.

I started watching the North & South (2004) mini-series last night and I'm hooked after the second episode. The first one wasn't that great, plus I was sleepy but now I can't wait to get to the third episode.

It's only 4 hour long episodes and streaming on Netflix, if anyone else is interested.
Old 01-01-12, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

You should know by now that they never get stickied on weekends. Plus, this was a holiday weekend, so give it a few days.
Old 01-02-12, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

Got a nice start on my year-long Star Trek voyage. It's been awhile since I've watched any Original Series episodes and overall they're quite uneven: there are some real classics mixed in with some duds. Hopefully I can get to "Space Seed" this afternoon.
Old 01-02-12, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I fell asleep and didnt get a chance to finish the second dvd of Life, but I still got in 4 episodes of the mini series in one day, so that isn't too bad. I think I might stream that North and South you recommended Mister Peepers next after I finish this show.
Old 01-02-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I think I might stream that North and South you recommended Mister Peepers next after I finish this show.
I have to admit it took a different turn than I would have liked on episode 3 but it's still a decent watch.
Old 01-02-12, 07:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

so can I count the tv extended cut of 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' or would quality it as a wildcard?
Old 01-02-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Got a nice start on my year-long Star Trek voyage. It's been awhile since I've watched any Original Series episodes and overall they're quite uneven: there are some real classics mixed in with some duds. Hopefully I can get to "Space Seed" this afternoon.
So this means you're going on a journey through *all* the Trek Series? That's quite an undertaking! I'd have trouble with ST:TNG - it just never "clicked" for me.

TOS remains my favorite of all the Trek series but I must agree with your general assessment. But, IMHO, there seem to be fewer "duds" in S1 than in S2 & S3 with Miri, The Conscience of the King, and The Alternative Factor being the true low points. My favorite of S1 has to be Balance of Terror followed by Space Seed, and *then* The City on the Edge of Forever, which many feel to be the best of the series, but not me.

Even though the second season *feels* more consistent and overall better I feel there are more "duds" than in S1 with The Omega Glory being perhaps the worst of the entire series. Yes, worse than Spock's Brain. Among its high points are Amok Time, Mirror, Mirror, The Doomsday Machine (one of the 3 episodes mashed up into Star Trek: The Motion Picture), and The Trouble with Tribbles.

Even the uneven and much maligned 3rd season has some excellent episodes amongst the dross. After all, it contains what I feel is the best episode of TOS, the suberb The Enterprise Incident as well as The Tholian Web and Day of the Dove. But in spite of the bad reputation held by Spock's Brain (not as bad as "popular opinion" would hold) the even worse And the Children Shall Lead and The Way to Eden come from S3 along with the largest group of "duds".

You're making me want to re-watch it for this challenge... and I should as it's been over a year since I've watched *any* TOS episodes.
Old 01-02-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started off slow yesterday but watched the pilot episode of Nikita based off someone's praise on here...enjoyed the pilot gonna check out a few more episodes to see how it turns out.

tearing thru breaking bad season 2 and its easily becomes my new favorite show.

I was gonna bust open my behing human dvds next, but noticed theres also a us version has anyone seen these are they worth watching?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.