Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Stuff that you didn't expect to be included on DVD releases...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-11, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is something that has been included on the DVD releases you've seen that you did not expect to be included? For me, a good example is the gamebreak segments on Disc 4 of A&E's release of the Oklahoma Sooners' greatest games, the Red River Rivalry vs. Texas in 1987 (these gamebreaks have Jim Nantz highlighting other games in college football that were playing at the same time as the featured Oklahoma games). I rented that disc from Netflix to try out the set, and when I heard Brent throw it back to Jim @ the CBS studio in NYC, I thought that A&E would skip it over and continue with gameplay, just like WB did WRT the Chicago Bears 1985 NFL release. Lo and behold, how wrong I was! Not only did A&E keep that segment, but 4 more as well (2 of which actually showed Jim in the studio). I was excited to find that those were kept, and such actually led me to a very recent purchase of that Oklahoma release, because if A&E can give us that, that would add a ton of nostalgia value that wasn't added with the WB Bears NFL release.
Old 10-19-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Stuff that you didn't expect to be included on DVD releases...

The "Naked City" TV series sets include the original commercials and station identification, with the option to watch the episodes with or without them. I found it more enjoyable to watch them with the commercials. There were a lot fewer in those days - about 5 minutes worth in a one-hour show.
Old 10-19-11, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
The "Naked City" TV series sets include the original commercials and station identification, with the option to watch the episodes with or without them. I found it more enjoyable to watch them with the commercials. There were a lot fewer in those days - about 5 minutes worth in a one-hour show.
The CBS-Paramount "Bonanza" volume releases (which I've only read about, not seen) have NBC network promos, and on one disc, an actual commercial for NBC, as bonus features; add to that scads of assorted promos and interviews. I think I've read that such is why those releases were very highly recommended.
Old 10-21-11, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

For me it was probably the "Wonderland" DVD that featured the original police crime scene footage from the real 1981 murders.

I'm surprised they had access to see it, let alone use it for commercial purposes. I guess it's sort of interesting to watch out of curiousity but it's a little snuff-like to be placed on a Hollywood film.
Old 10-22-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

Something I'm surprised wasn't included. Hawaii Five-0 Season 2. Episode 16 aired Jan. 7, 1970. Titled "Bored, She Hung Herself". Some woman hangs herself in the episode. Right after a woman hung herself for real, supposedly got the idea from watching the 5-0 episode. There was a big stink about it. CBS never reran the episode or syndicated it. It hasn't been seen since it first aired. You'd think by now nobody gives a shit and they would have included it in the dvd set. Maybe thet got sued by the family and had to destroy it or something.
Old 10-22-11, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangerunner
For me it was probably the "Wonderland" DVD that featured the original police crime scene footage from the real 1981 murders.

I'm surprised they had access to see it, let alone use it for commercial purposes. I guess it's sort of interesting to watch out of curiousity but it's a little snuff-like to be placed on a Hollywood film.
This plus the documentary on Holmes neither of which was mentioned on the DVD anywhere!
Old 10-22-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The feature length documentary "Murder in Scottsdale" (the murder of Bob Crane) with all the crime scene stuff on Paul Schrader's Auto Focus. Great movie, great doc, great disc and Greg Kinnear's finest hour.

Oh and as previously mentioned.... the Wonderland disc is indeed awesome and exhaustive.
Old 10-22-11, 08:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a tv movie, 10.5, and was very happy to find a commentary from, I think, the director. There was no commentary listed on the cover.
Old 10-30-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
The feature length documentary "Murder in Scottsdale" (the murder of Bob Crane) with all the crime scene stuff on Paul Schrader's Auto Focus. Great movie, great doc, great disc and Greg Kinnear's finest hour.

Oh and as previously mentioned.... the Wonderland disc is indeed awesome and exhaustive.
On a side-bar, while technically not Kinnear's fault I could never get over the fact that he looks nothing like Bob Crane which for someone who grew up watching "Hogan's Heroes" detracted from the movie's overall viewing enjoyment. Couldn't they have at least dyed his hair dark to match Cranes? This movie wasn't purporting to be "loosely based on real events" or something like that. The real Crane was a well-known entertainment figure and his lifestyle choices and circumstances of his death were somewhat shocking. Just seemed like either misguided or extremely lazy casting.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 10-30-11 at 05:06 PM.