Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Chad,

I know that you probably don't want to tackle this one...and I'm a little leery of even suggesting it, but you never know until you ask.

I'm kind of fascinated by statistics, even though you wouldn't know if from my grades in Stats II in grad school. What I'd like to see (and I'll even help compile, if you'd like) is a bit more info on the Checklist--which items went unanswered most often (for those not completing the checklist), what percentage of Talkers picked which choice (for instance, on this year's checklist, what percentage watched a Lon Chaney film rather than a Lon Chaney, Jr. film?), which film that James Bernard scored was watched more than others, etc., etc., etc.

Like I said, I know that it's a colossal undertaking, and I'd be more than willing to help (or even take on the whole thing), so, whaddaya say?

Rob
Old 11-07-11, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I still want to go back and add a few final thoughts to my list, but the numbers, the things that Chad really needs, are all finalized. I think everything is right. Initially, I realized some things had been added up wrong.

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Chad,

I know that you probably don't want to tackle this one...and I'm a little leery of even suggesting it, but you never know until you ask.

I'm kind of fascinated by statistics, even though you wouldn't know if from my grades in Stats II in grad school. What I'd like to see (and I'll even help compile, if you'd like) is a bit more info on the Checklist--which items went unanswered most often (for those not completing the checklist), what percentage of Talkers picked which choice (for instance, on this year's checklist, what percentage watched a Lon Chaney film rather than a Lon Chaney, Jr. film?), which film that James Bernard scored was watched more than others, etc., etc., etc.

Like I said, I know that it's a colossal undertaking, and I'd be more than willing to help (or even take on the whole thing), so, whaddaya say?

Rob
That would be interesting, but some of those items would be very difficult to really establish. For instance, you brought up wanting to know which Bernard score was watched more than others. Well, someone might have watched five films scored by Bernard but only put one for that list category (of course, this doesn't even account for the people who watched Bernard films but didn't do the checklist). Same goes for Lon Chaney. Maybe someone used a Lon Chaney Jr. movie for the checklist because it was watched first but watched five Lon Chaney Sr. movies later that weren't included for the optional checklist.

So much of the time, the optional checklist has more to do with what was watched first and also items get duplicated quite often, so I'm not sure if you can get the types of accurate numbers you're looking for. There are some stats that might bring some accuracy (like which categories were left unanswered), but I think most of them would give a very incomplete look at things.
Old 11-07-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

My list is finalized. If I change anything from now until the totals are counted, it'll be small things
Old 11-07-11, 06:11 PM

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
That would be interesting, but some of those items would be very difficult to really establish. For instance, you brought up wanting to know which Bernard score was watched more than others. Well, someone might have watched five films scored by Bernard but only put one for that list category (of course, this doesn't even account for the people who watched Bernard films but didn't do the checklist). Same goes for Lon Chaney. Maybe someone used a Lon Chaney Jr. movie for the checklist because it was watched first but watched five Lon Chaney Sr. movies later that weren't included for the optional checklist.

So much of the time, the optional checklist has more to do with what was watched first and also items get duplicated quite often, so I'm not sure if you can get the types of accurate numbers you're looking for. There are some stats that might bring some accuracy (like which categories were left unanswered), but I think most of them would give a very incomplete look at things.
Good points all, clckworang. I realized that it would give a rather incomplete picture, but your post has made me realize what a colossal undertaking it would be to attempt to be accurate. I hereby retract my suggestion, because NO ONE has THAT much time.
Old 11-07-11, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally finished my list. I only got to 71 this year, but I go to see quite a few movies I wanted to see and some that I hadn't been able to see since I was younger.

If you're a fan of horror movie music, I have 20+ songs on my list from the movies that had songs I enjoyed. Definitely check out the Sleepaway Camp ending theme if you haven't heard it before. My friends think I'm crazy, but that song is one I could keep on repeat.
Old 11-07-11, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Good points all, clckworang. I realized that it would give a rather incomplete picture, but your post has made me realize what a colossal undertaking it would be to attempt to be accurate. I hereby retract my suggestion, because NO ONE has THAT much time.
Ah, relieved to hear. I was thinking of a polite way to say not a snowball's chance in hell.

But in all seriousness, just adding the decades and average rating stats are turning out to be a bigger undertaking than I thought it would. Thankfully I'm a little ahead of my usual pace and it won't be a problem, but something of that magnitude would just take far too long.

Maybe one year we could recruit a few volunteers and assign each person their own specific stats to compile and really go all out? Just a thought.
Old 11-07-11, 09:48 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I think my list is finalized... or so I thought. Aside from format and decade tallies, already done, I now resolve to tally an average rating. Is there anything else I might be missing?
Old 11-07-11, 09:55 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

As usual, I get burned out at the end of the Challenges and feel like I never really close them well, at least in group participation and list work ways. The OHMC was a great diversion from the wedding and moving work that I was sporadically doing, but mainly putting off to the last moment.

Four days to the wedding, still a crapload of stuff left to do. And the move, oh my, I've done 6 SUV loads to her place and my place looks more full now than when I started. At least that can wait until after the honeymoon for the most part.

Anyway, that's my excuse for having almost no mini-reviews in my list, half-assed formatting, and only some of the stats Chad wants so far. If things go well tomorrow I'll try to finish a few more bits of it.

Also as always, I had an incredibly fun month hanging out with all of you, wish it wasn't over, can't wait until next October, and can't believe how blessed we all are to have someone like Chad to do all this amazing work for us. You all are very creative and intelligent, and it's been a joy to read your posts and lists this month.
Old 11-08-11, 06:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I met most of my goals for the challenge. Most importantly, I enjoyed quite a few films with my kids. I watched a few more horror movies than I expected, but watched a few less non-horror movies than I planned, so it more or less evened out. I fell one movie short of my goal of reaching 250 on the Top 500 Horror Movies list on icheckmovies.com (I had 232 at the beginning of the month), but made it the next day.
Old 11-08-11, 09:51 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I haven't completed the stats for my list but it is as complete as it is going to get. I didn't add a number of tv shows and may have missed a movie but that's OK. I met my goal of finishing the checklist without any duplicates and finished the Theme Night also. I would have done the daily subset but I was mistakenly under the impression that they had to be watched that day so I punted and focused instead on new watches, which I was very successful at. I hit 90 on my list which I believe is my high and that's not including my tv shows so I was very happy with the number. As always, Netflix Streaming really helps make this challenge and is always worth having for the month of October. And everyone remember, Monsters HD (Zoom channel) was the best Horror Channel ever! It will never be forgotten.
Old 11-08-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
As usual, I get burned out at the end of the Challenges and feel like I never really close them well, at least in group participation and list work ways. The OHMC was a great diversion from the wedding and moving work that I was sporadically doing, but mainly putting off to the last moment.

Four days to the wedding, still a crapload of stuff left to do. And the move, oh my, I've done 6 SUV loads to her place and my place looks more full now than when I started. At least that can wait until after the honeymoon for the most part.

Anyway, that's my excuse for having almost no mini-reviews in my list, half-assed formatting, and only some of the stats Chad wants so far. If things go well tomorrow I'll try to finish a few more bits of it.

Also as always, I had an incredibly fun month hanging out with all of you, wish it wasn't over, can't wait until next October, and can't believe how blessed we all are to have someone like Chad to do all this amazing work for us. You all are very creative and intelligent, and it's been a joy to read your posts and lists this month.
Trevor, it's been a pleasure. After you get married, we'll probably never hear from you again.
Old 11-08-11, 09:55 AM

I can't forget to give a big shout out to Chad. He did a tremendous job on this and really made it more enjoyable for everybody. Let's hope that he only remembers the good parts by next year and is willing to do this again!
Old 11-08-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Trevor, it's been a pleasure. After you get married, we'll probably never hear from you again.
RIP Trevor.

Old 11-08-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know if it's needed, but I added "complete" next to the optional checklist, daily films and themes. I don't know if that makes things any easier for Chad. Also, I have all my decades broken down in my optional checklist. I just put a number next to the decade rather than make another table. I'm *trying* to make things as easy as Chad as possible. I don't know if I'm succeeding at all.

Thanks again for the all the hard work, Chad. I'm hoping that this time next year I'll be in a different situation and could maybe assist before, during or after the challenge, basically whatever is needed. I know this thing keeps getting bigger every year, and I'm sure there are some ways I could help.
Old 11-08-11, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

^Appreciated.

Originally Posted by Chad
So, I just received an email from Full Moon with a shipping confirmation on an upcoming package. Unless it's a DVD sampler, it looks like more prize donations are coming our way. I'll know in 2 - 9 days.
And the prize train keeps on rolling:

- Killer Eye: Halloween Haunt
- Necropolis
- The Best of Sex and Violence
- Famous T&A

And no guarantees those will still be wrapped when whoever gets them.

This is very similar to last year when a mysterious package arrived in my mailbox 2 weeks after the challenge ended that turned out to be their belated prize donations. Of course the major difference this year is a) I received a tracking number and b) they've already sent something before the challenge started. Don't know if they intentionally sent this round of prizes or if it was a mistake, but whatever the case ...thank you, Full Moon!

And new additions means new prize categories. One is for loyalty - Anyone who's actively participated in at least 5 challenges.
Old 11-08-11, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Very awesome! Full Moon has been great to the challenge.

Thinking about this earlier today... how does everybody feel about the musical category? I always have a really hard time finding something for that... especially a new viewing.
Old 11-08-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Very awesome! Full Moon has been great to the challenge.

Thinking about this earlier today... how does everybody feel about the musical category? I always have a really hard time finding something for that... especially a new viewing.
i guess because i love poultreygeist and Repo the genetic opera this category never bothered me, but i can see there being limited choices for new viewings

Cannibal the musical
rock horror
lil shop of horror
evil dead the musical
are the only ones i have in my collection

my categories i feel are limited are the revenge, day of, return of, etc but i know these have been covered
Old 11-08-11, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm fine with it but wouldn't be sad if it went away. I'm actually surprised at how many there are, just from looking at the results of an advanced search at imdb. If the category was changed to music/musical, there's over 100 films. There's over 80 musical and over 50 music and only a little bit of crossover between the two lists.
Old 11-08-11, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

...how does everybody feel about the musical category? I always have a really hard time finding something for that... especially a new viewing.
It doesn't bother me. I have several titles that qualify and as I'm going to attempt to *not* make any new purchases next year I'll be watching only what I already own so "new viewings" will have zero significance at my house. That said, I'd also not be bothered if it went away. It's actually nice to have items rotate in/out so you don't have as much of a tendency to "stagnate" with the list(s).
Old 11-08-11, 07:57 PM

I definitely like the idea of rotating things out from year to year, maybe there would be some way for us to vote on the categories from the past and make suggestions during the voting. Warn us a week ahead of time and I would spend some time coming up with ideas.
Old 11-08-11, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth
i guess because i love poultreygeist and Repo the genetic opera this category never bothered me, but i can see there being limited choices for new viewings

Cannibal the musical
rock horror
lil shop of horror
evil dead the musical
are the only ones i have in my collection

my categories i feel are limited are the revenge, day of, return of, etc but i know these have been covered
I totally agree and don't forget

The Happiness Of The Katakuris
Sweeny Todd
Phantom Of Paradise
Once More With Feeling (Buffy Episode)
Big Meat Eater

And there are a bevy of live ones that play in almost every state (I watched Evil Dead The Musical in Oklahoma last year).
Such as:

The Fly The Musical
Young Frankenstein The Musical
Carrie The Musical
The Toxic Avenger The Musical
The Creature From The Black Lagoon The Musical
Jaws The Musical
Night Of The Living Dead The Musical
Chainsaw! The Musical

ect, ect, ect.

One of my favorite checklist checks
Old 11-09-11, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

That "Best Of Sex & Violence" and "Famous T&A" look cool. I love good compilation stuff. Anyone here seen those before and can give an opinion? I looked for them on amazon but it appears they must only be available directly thru Full Moon. Is that correct?
Old 11-09-11, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If we're taking votes on the Musical category, I'm in favor of it being removed.
Old 11-09-11, 09:08 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The musical category is limited but I really like it because that is one checklist item that begs list variety. In the past musical options have plagued me but I often manage some good viewings I would not have seen otherwise; like Wikd Zero which I saw first this year and was awesome and zany.
Old 11-09-11, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Haven't we had this very discussion about musical before? I really feel like I've heard all these arguments before, which isn't meant to sound passive aggressive. Ha, ha. But seriously, I think this discussion has come up before, and I think it was decided, at least at that time, that it should be left in because it's one of those essential genres of film or something along those lines.

As far as what I think, it's not my favorite category, but I see why it's there. And there are actually some good movies that can be watched for it. Chances are good that I will still end up watching a movie that would qualify as a musical even if it were removed.

Oh, also, I know that there will be a few people who will chime in and say that the optional checklist is not meant to be easy and is meant to force you to explore other types of films and genres. And it's optional. I just figured I would get those out there now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.