Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
Woke up in the morning to meet Jason Voorhees & Victor Crowley himself, Kane Hodder..What a way to start Halloween..now on to the marathon..

I can't see images at work, but lucky! Where did you meet Kane anyways?
Old 10-31-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Okay, I guess that technically what I'm about to do is a threadcrap, but if there's such a thing as a worthy threadcrap, then this would be one.

My friend zwolf has joined the challenge for the first time this year, and he's written up some great mini-reviews in his list (which is on page 4 of the list thread). But above and beyond that, he's also written what I think is one of the best horror short stories that I've ever read (and I'm not just saying that because I've known him for over 20 years). Even though his story "Long Tall Sally" isn't novel-length, and therefore it won't count for the optional checklist item, it's certainly worth a read, as 'tis the season and all. Check it out, and post your comments in this thread if you care to do so. Happy Halloween, everybody!

Long Tall Sally
Novellas / short stories totally count. I'll check it out when I'm not sleep deprived and can actually enjoy it.

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Wait, a few people in the challenge have become ill this year. This, you realize, of course, can only mean one thing:

ZOMBIE OUTBREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And we're all screwed if it's an airborne virus with everyone's immune system being down due to that aforementioned sleep deprivation and all.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
A bunch of the older stuff at archive.org is around an hour.
Here's the list of the 'Old Dark House' films I posted earlier that are probably all at or under an hour:

http://www.archive.org/post/219710/old-house-mysteries

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
Woke up in the morning to meet Jason Voorhees & Victor Crowley himself, Kane Hodder..What a way to start Halloween..now on to the marathon..

And you kicked off last year's challenge by meeting Danielle Harris, right? Lucky bastard!
Old 10-31-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Okay, I guess that technically what I'm about to do is a threadcrap, but if there's such a thing as a worthy threadcrap, then this would be one.

My friend zwolf has joined the challenge for the first time this year, and he's written up some great mini-reviews in his list (which is on page 4 of the list thread). But above and beyond that, he's also written what I think is one of the best horror short stories that I've ever read (and I'm not just saying that because I've known him for over 20 years). Even though his story "Long Tall Sally" isn't novel-length, and therefore it won't count for the optional checklist item, it's certainly worth a read, as 'tis the season and all. Check it out, and post your comments in this thread if you care to do so. Happy Halloween, everybody!

Long Tall Sally
Sidebar maybe, but doesn't seem like a threadcrap. A crap would be more like "Why do you losers waste your time watching horror movies?"
Old 10-31-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Sad to see this challenge winding down. I beat my personal goal by 50 and pulled in my second highest number. Not to shabby. I look around my apartment, empty soda bottles, half filled coffee cups, not done dishes, clothes on the bed, popcorn on the floor... you know, maybe it will be nice to return to my life again.

Oh, wait...Arkham City.
Old 10-31-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Don't want this Challenge to end! Gotta hit my goal of 50 by the end of today.

Happy Halloween everyone!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0ZlyYJVMAmg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-31-11, 01:05 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I finally have completed the checklist with no duplicates and I have finished the genre list. I didn't do the daily films because I had seen too many of them and wanted to watch as many first time views as I could. I will have over 90 but I still haven't been able to make it to the magic 100 mark. I envy all of you that can do that! At least I can set the goal of doing all four for next year!
Old 10-31-11, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
And you kicked off last year's challenge by meeting Danielle Harris, right? Lucky bastard!
Correct!
What a way to begin last years challenge. This year a great way to close it with Kane.
Old 10-31-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Sad to see this challenge winding down. I beat my personal goal by 50 and pulled in my second highest number. Not to shabby. I look around my apartment, empty soda bottles, half filled coffee cups, not done dishes, clothes on the bed, popcorn on the floor... you know, maybe it will be nice to return to my life again.

Oh, wait...Arkham City.
Sounds like my place as well. I've been putting off so many things that I've been meaning to do, including some things with the outdoor theater, but it was all stuff that would have taken time away from precious October horror. I'm already anticipating the November Cleanup and Clean Out the DVR Challenge.
Old 10-31-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Don't want this Challenge to end! Gotta hit my goal of 50 by the end of today.

Happy Halloween everyone!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0ZlyYJVMAmg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I have been singing this fairly often since seeing it in theaters. Too funny
Old 10-31-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Will knock out Trick R Treat and Halloween tonite and that'll do it for me unless I have more energy than I plan haha.
Old 10-31-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I have been singing this fairly often since seeing it in theaters. Too funny
Agreed!

I wish someone posted a video on YouTube of Vernon mocking Tony Todd's voice
Old 10-31-11, 01:54 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Hit a new personal best with 54 this year. There's always a buncha movies I don't get to and have to put off till the next challenge. Now I have to get ready to take the tots out for tricks or treats... hope no one gets a rock.
Old 10-31-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

When discussing THE GRUDGE or THE RING (or, for that matter, any other Asian horror film remade in Hollywood), please indicate which version you're talking about.

Thank you.
Old 10-31-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
When discussing THE GRUDGE or THE RING (or, for that matter, any other Asian horror film remade in Hollywood), please indicate which version you're talking about.

Thank you.
I would think that most of the people posting here are savvy enough to list the Asian titles by their proper name if that is the one they are discussing (Ju-on, Ringu, etc.) If anyone ever names The Grudge or The Ring, I always assume they are talking about the American remakes and are not discussing the original Asian versions.

I just finished watching The Horror Show aka House III and man, what a bad movie. Basically it's A Nightmare On Elm Street mixed with Shocker with overacting galore. So many silly scenes and overacting that it plays more for laughs than actual horror.
Old 10-31-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Sounds like my place as well. I've been putting off so many things that I've been meaning to do, including some things with the outdoor theater, but it was all stuff that would have taken time away from precious October horror. I'm already anticipating the November Cleanup and Clean Out the DVR Challenge.
The next few days are gonna be busy for me in terms of catching up. I've got lots of dvds to get put away and re-sorted, in addition to all of the household stuff I usually take care of.
Old 10-31-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Gotta do the original Halloween tonight, plus one more title to end things for another great year for the Horror challenge. May it go on annually forever more.
Old 10-31-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
Made a last minute decision to go to the theater after work tonight to get the bonus theme night done.
I think you mean bonus 31 Films Subset.

I had four movies lined up last night, my list open to update, coffee brewed, and next thing I know it's 2:45 AM, and I have no idea what happened to those last 5 hours. Must be that Challenge hang-over starting up.
Old 10-31-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My big finale was pretty much 7.5 hours of Never Sleep Again. Did the main feature Saturday and all the bonus stuff yesterday. The only thing I didn't do was the commentary but I can watch that next year. Everything after that, like the subsets for yesterday and today, are just bonuses. I met all the goals I set out for this year(subset, checklist, theme night, 100).

The biggest thing slowing me down in real life was that I got a new job back in August but they still haven't found anyone to replace me in my old position, so I've been learning and doing some stuff on the new job while still doing all my old stuff. Because of that, for most of the month I've been so tired that I've been falling asleep, even while sitting up, between 8:30 and 9:15 every night. It's takes me awhile to fall asleep, so for me to fall asleep like this isn't that normal. Sometimes getting up and going to bed will wake me up enough to watch some stuff in bed but I haven't watched anything past 11.

Right now I'm hoping they get someone and I'll have them trained by the end of the year. I'd be surprised if it happened sooner than that.
Old 10-31-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The County Coroner forgot that my group interview for my class was today. Our presentation is due on Wednesday. Bleh

Guess this gives me time to watch my final 2 films.
Old 10-31-11, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I've got a headache tonight. I hope I can get my last two movies in.
Old 10-31-11, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've got a headache tonight.
I'm battling one too. About to check out Popcorn (Didn't get to see it last year and I'm not letting it slip by on me again in the last minute)

And I still need to check off a Commentary-selection to finally complete the checklist. Already know what it's gonna be, I just hope I'm not hella drowsy by then.
Old 10-31-11, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Just when I thought I'd be taking it easy today I find out I'm only 5 away from surpassing my all-time total. I'm sure competitiveness will win out.

And BTW, don't forget this little shindig rolls on until until dawn.
Old 10-31-11, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to hit 100 tonight with the completion of Trick R Treat. I wasn't sure i was going to make it but did.
Old 10-31-11, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished Trick r' Treat (2007), love this film. I remember being ridiculously excited when the news first broke that the film was getting a DVD/BD release.

Thinking I might setup my laptop by my front door, so that I can watch DVDs + hand out candy for all the Trick or Treat-ers.
Old 10-31-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Just finished the checklist today. Better late than never.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.