Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Old 10-25-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 545 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan View Post
This year has been all about the fun discussion and no one picking fights or name-calling or ruining the challenge for everyone else, and it's been really awesome just chilling and discussing with people in the thread this year, so thanks, everyone.
The horror challenge went through the terrible twos and rebellious puberty and now we is all grown up.
Old 10-25-11, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

24 Hours of Horror with Edgar Wright:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/24-ho...-wright,63920/
Old 10-25-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop View Post
24 Hours of Horror with Edgar Wright:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/24-ho...-wright,63920/
Old 10-25-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan View Post
At least we're not fighting! I may or may not have participated in some serious horror movie thread smackdowns in the past horror challenges that may or may not have gotten me temporarily suspended from posting in the discussion thread.

This year has been all about the fun discussion and no one picking fights or name-calling or ruining the challenge for everyone else, and it's been really awesome just chilling and discussing with people in the thread this year, so thanks, everyone. I feel less alone in my morbid/freaky film fanaticism when I see other people who are just as into these movies as I am.
I'm happy you decided to come back to us. It was odd when I realized you weren't joining the discussion for this year's challenge.
Old 10-25-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Good point. I think Elijah raised someone back in the OT too.
Sad--I thought you were referring to the Original Trilogy
Old 10-25-11, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone's still looking for a silent or a 1920 film for the checklist, here's Dante's Inferno (1924)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Hrr...0B9FA66F63D2A0
Old 10-25-11, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

What is everyone watching to celebrate Vincent Price? I'm going with The Masque Of Red Death and then The Abominable Dr Phibes
Old 10-25-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SethDLH View Post
What is everyone watching to celebrate Vincent Price? I'm going with The Masque Of Red Death and then The Abominable Dr Phibes
I'm probably going with Theater of Blood. If I have time, I might do a double feature with House of Wax.

I really love The Abominable Dr. Phibes.
Old 10-25-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I'm probably going with Theater of Blood. If I have time, I might do a double feature with House of Wax.

I really love The Abominable Dr. Phibes.
Me too, I picked my 2 favorite Price movies.
Old 10-25-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Was just chatting with a friend on Yahoo messenger and we were talking about how slasher movies from the 90s brought back old ideas, and I got to thinking about the first time I saw Prom Night, and thought how similar the idea was to I Know What You Did Last Summer.
Old 10-25-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 382 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane View Post
The sad thing is that I act like a little kid when things get intense - yelling things at the screen, clutching pillows, getting overly emotional. It's a little embarrassing.
Glad I'm not the only one. Add 'punching recliner' to that list.

Originally Posted by Julie Walker View Post
I watched Zombie Strippers tonight for the first time. It was actually pretty amusing and entertaining for what it was. I was expecting a boring badly made film that strains to be 'funny' and falls flat, so imagine my surprise when it was better than expected.
I just hope no one makes the unfortunate mistake I did and confuse this with the shitfest known as Zombies vs Strippers (Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!). Kept waiting for Robert Englund and he never showed up.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
Although generally helpful I began to question the buried.com subgenre listings on the discovery of Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) under "splatter" films.
That's why I put the disclaimer at the top of the list. They do also list straight sci-fi films, but that one might be a little hard to justify.
Old 10-25-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So pissed Scream 1 and 3 is on Netflix but no part 2 on demand? WTF Netflix. Anyways, what's some good movies to watch on the stream for Netflix?
Old 10-25-11, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watching PSYCHO (1960) and VACANCY (2007) as a double feature today. Two motel horror flicks.
Old 10-25-11, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Updating from a mobile phone is very time consuming. I've got a HUGE list on my my phones memo pad, but editing is just too much. Once I'm back from vacation, this should be easier.
Old 10-25-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Last Man on Earth for sure. And maybe Witchfinder General or Theater of Blood.

The best VP centennial tribute art ever:
Old 10-25-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am so close to finishing the optional checklist. Instead of my planned Vincent Price double feature, I might do Theater of Blood and Wolf Man just so I can get my Lon Chaney movie out of the way. As close as I get, though, I won't be able to completely finish the checklist until Saturday. A friend of mine wants to watch The Exorcist. That's going to be my Dick Smith makeup movie, but she can't meet up during the week. It doesn't fit Friday's witch theme, so Saturday it is.

Having not seen it, would Santa Sangre fit Wednesday's theme? I know the movie is supposed to be weird and surreal, but I don't know if it's heavy on the red stuff or sufficiently depraved. That would take care of one of the daily films *and* the Simon Boswell requirement.

I suppose I should note that I'm also very close to hitting all my other goals as well: reaching 100, watching all the daily films and keeping up with all the themes.
Old 10-25-11, 03:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Theater of Blood for sure since I've never seen it before and its a subset film. Then probably Witchfinder General since I've only seen it once or House of Wax just because.

For anyone still undecided I also recommend The Haunted Palace. I watched it over the weekend and Price is great in this creepy film.
Old 10-25-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

I went with THE HAUNTED PALACE (1963), easily the best of the Corman/Poe Cycle, precisely because it's NOT based on Poe, which usually involves some major contrivances to coax a feature out of a poem or short story, but on H.P. Lovecraft and one of his best novels, "The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward." (The title comes from a Poe poem and a few lines from it are voiced by Price in the course of the film to give it a very tenuous Poe connection.)

Corman directed a few other horror films, but I think this is his best. It's very atmospheric and, thanks to Lovecraft, contains genuinely creepy elements and Corman's direction plays those up to just the right degree--not too subtle and not over-the-top. The sets here by Dan Haller are much bigger than usual for the Poe films and the camerawork by Floyd Crosby is just beautiful. And there's a great supporting cast including Lon Chaney Jr., Leo Gordon, and Elisha Cook. The cadaverous-looking Milton Parsons, a Hollywood staple since 1939, is there too. Debra Paget is gorgeous as Price's wife. Price has to play a character fighting his ancestor's attempts to possess him, so he's basically playing two characters and does a masterful job.

If I have any complaint it's that the music score is too bombastic and relies too much on brass, when a subtler, more eerie score with low notes on the strings was called for. But this is easily one of the best films I've seen for this challenge.
Old 10-25-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
The Last Man on Earth for sure. And maybe Witchfinder General or Theater of Blood.

The best VP centennial tribute art ever:
That is awesome artwork!

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I went with THE HAUNTED PALACE (1963), easily the best of the Corman/Poe Cycle, precisely because it's NOT based on Poe, which usually involves some major contrivances to coax a feature out of a poem or short story, but on H.P. Lovecraft and one of his best novels, "The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward." (The title comes from a Poe poem and a few lines from it are voiced by Price in the course of the film to give it a very tenuous Poe connection.)

Corman directed a few other horror films, but I think this is his best. It's very atmospheric and, thanks to Lovecraft, contains genuinely creepy elements and Corman's direction plays those up to just the right degree--not too subtle and not over-the-top. The sets here by Dan Haller are much bigger than usual for the Poe films and the camerawork by Floyd Crosby is just beautiful. And there's a great supporting cast including Lon Chaney Jr., Leo Gordon, and Elisha Cook. The cadaverous-looking Milton Parsons, a Hollywood staple since 1939, is there too. Debra Paget is gorgeous as Price's wife. Price has to play a character fighting his ancestor's attempts to possess him, so he's basically playing two characters and does a masterful job.

If I have any complaint it's that the music score is too bombastic and relies too much on brass, when a subtler, more eerie score with low notes on the strings was called for. But this is easily one of the best films I've seen for this challenge.
I need to see The Haunted Palace badly. I love Lovecraft (and just finished that story) and I love the Corman/Price movies.
Old 10-25-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 214 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth View Post
...i hate when people ask me for a horror movie suggestion thats scary...I don get scared from watching these movies I watch them for other reasons. im tired of telling people to watch trick 'r treat or The Gate and hem to come back complaining "ahh that sucked it wasnt scary at all"
Just tell 'em Alien. If they say "That's sci-fi", remind them that many sci-fi films are horror based. Then move on to Halloween, The Exorcist, The Shining (Kubrick), and/or Evil Dead 2. At least one of those should give most "common" folks a good scare.
Old 10-25-11, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 214 Likes on 183 Posts

I was thinking of Theater of Blood 'cause it's also a subset film but I haven't truly decided yet. I have an afinity for The Tingler as it's one of the first Vincent Price films I saw as a kid. I recall being truly scared by this film.
Old 10-25-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just found out that my regular Tuesday night piano lesson has been cancelled tonight. Maybe I shouldn't be happy about it, but I am. That guarantees I should have time to fit in at least 2 movies after work.
Old 10-25-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few DVR notices before it slips my mind completely:

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown airs Thursday at 8PM on ABC.

Chiller 13: Horror Creepiest Kids airs Friday at 8PM on Chiller.

CHILLER 13: HORROR’S CREEPIEST KIDS premieres October 28 at 8 p.m. ET/PT, just in time to leave you doubting the little rays of sunshine on your doorstep this Halloween. Listing the scariest boys and girls from the history of fright films, the special will feature talks with some of the most memorable, including PET SEMATARY’s Miko Hughes and ORPHAN’s Isabelle Furhman, as well as director Mary Lambert, author Steve Niles and horror aficionados such as FANGORIA’s own Michael Gingold and Horror Movie A Day scribe Brian Collins.

The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror XXII airs this Sunday at 8PM. Before Halloween!

All Eastern.

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I just found out that my regular Tuesday night piano lesson has been cancelled tonight. Maybe I shouldn't be happy about it, but I am. That guarantees I should have time to fit in at least 2 movies after work.
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CBZfG6_8cOU?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CBZfG6_8cOU?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Couldn't resist.
Old 10-25-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CBZfG6_8cOU?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CBZfG6_8cOU?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Couldn't resist.
Very appropriate, for October anyway. That hasn't happened to me at one of my lessons ... yet.
Old 10-25-11, 06:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

The Comedy of Terrors, directed by Jacques Tourneur, which I've never seen. Then Theatre of Blood and, if I have time, Last Man on Earth.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.