Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Old 11-02-11, 04:43 PM
TRC

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by cproaps View Post
Do NOT stay up all night and then watch something like Repulsion for the first time! What a mind trip.
That's funny because I was considering doing exactly that. I decided to go to sleep instead. Your warning makes me feel a little bit better about skipping it.
Old 11-02-11, 04:58 PM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I didn't make it to 100 this year, October just flew by, but had a lot of fun as always. Here's a round up of my recommendations from the second half of the challenge:

Some more great 50's horror films, these are all worth checking out:
The Wasp Woman (1959)
Donovan's Brain (1953)
The Monster That Challenged the World (1957)

Wasn't my favorite Park Chan Wook flick but fans of his movies won't be disappointed:
Thirst (2009)

Probably my favorite blind viewing of the challenge, very unique and interesting story, great characters and acting:
The Shout (1978)

Cheers Chad on another great October challenge!
Old 11-02-11, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

So, I just received an email from Full Moon with a shipping confirmation on an upcoming package. Unless it's a DVD sampler, it looks like more prize donations are coming our way. I'll know in 2 - 9 days.

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Here's my suggestion for getting more votes, add the rule that you can't win if you don't vote. Seems fair.
Tempting, but the PMs and emails have finally started rolling in. I'll consider doing that next year though.

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan View Post
I'm not very tech savvy so I can't make my list look as good as some of the lists looked, but I worked my ass off writing my reviews for the movies I watched this year, and it looks like some others did too (SethDLH for one).
As I've said in the past - taking into consideration the quality of reviews is just as important as the formatting aspects. You don't have to be tech savvy to score a win.
Old 11-02-11, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
Wow... I just got back from the doctor and they moved the delivery of my second child up by two weeks to this Friday.
Congrats!
Old 11-02-11, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by TRC View Post
That's funny because I was considering doing exactly that. I decided to go to sleep instead. Your warning makes me feel a little bit better about skipping it.
You're out of it enough just staying up, but the movie is just so out there that the combination is memorable. It is undoubtedly an influence on such things as Jacob's Ladder, etc. You just don't know what the heck is real, and you sit in disbelief as you slowly realize that most of it is indeed really happening.
Old 11-03-11, 12:47 AM

Ok, so another Horror Challenge is in the books. It was fun, as usually it is. Though I was running out of steam by 8pm on Halloween night. Ended a little past 12 with Halloween.

In this years challenge , everything was viewed in my room, aside for one theatrical viewing. I got to Use 3 TVS. Started with my old Philips 32 LCD TV, Upgraded to Toshiba 46 LED TV. I can say as equipment failure, as Chad mention. Bad picture and sound. Returned it and got a Samsung 46 LED TV.
BEAUTIFUL!!

I only had my brother and my moms friend who both like horror, watch with me a few entries.

During the contest I fell in love with Amber Heard. Amber led the way of the most movies this horror month for me, 4. Heard, no pun intended - was in my neck of the woods, NYC, to promote her new movie with Johnny Depp- The Rum Diary. Got the info of her whereabouts and was ecstatic to have met her. This is the pic from that night. No make up

I also got to meet this month , on my only theater viewing, Director of house of the devil, Ti West. Kool guy and fun ghost movie , The Innkeepers. Who next year hopefully will be on many viewing lists.

Of course to top it all off, on Halloween morning, I got to meet , Victor Crowley, Jason Voorhees himself - Kane Hodder. Helluva a nice guy.

I would like to add that this year contest was mostly all blu ray, as you can see from my list. Still wanted to get some unwatched dvds in but I have recently got so many horror blu rays and from last years challenge I didn't get to that I t was impossible for me to see my dvds.

ok here are a few stats

Most watched female this month : 4
Amber Heard
The Ward, Stepfather, All the boys love Mandy Lane and soon the darkness

Damn, this is better a 2nd time
From Dusk till Dawn
Silent Hill

Top 3
Laid to Rest
La Horde
The InnKeepers

Worse 3
George Romero Deadtime Stories vol.1
River Of Darkness
Uninvited

Best Nudity Film
The New York Ripper
Wrong Turn 4

Biggest Disappointment
The Human Centipede 2

Surprise its that good

Amusement
Demonic
Pandorum

First time viewing

Blu rays

DVD's

Goals
Beat last year total, 56
Accomplish with a total of 83
Old 11-03-11, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3 View Post

Surprise its that good

Amusement
Demonic
Pandorum
Agreed on all of these. I think you were the one who convinced me to buy "Demonic" and "Uninvited" and I really liked both, so thanks. Also I am jealous you got to meet so many cool people (especially Amber Heard, because I am in love with her).
Old 11-03-11, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
As I've said in the past - taking into consideration the quality of reviews is just as important as the formatting aspects. You don't have to be tech savvy to score a win.
Good point. I always forget to take writing into account because I'm too busy being jealous that everyone else knows how to make such cool graphics on their lists!
Old 11-03-11, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
Wow... I just got back from the doctor and they moved the delivery of my second child up by two weeks to this Friday.
Ah, so they upgraded your shipping!
Old 11-03-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Ah, so they upgraded your shipping!
Prime is still a better deal at 80 bucks a year.
Old 11-03-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good point. I always forget to take writing into account because I'm too busy being jealous that everyone else knows how to make such cool graphics on their lists!
I've been taking time at work (I know I'm horrible) to read your reviews. Your review for Jennifer's Body doesn't work, it takes you to doomsday. it might be a good thing from what I remember from the movie.
Old 11-03-11, 01:08 PM

Agreed on all of these. I think you were the one who convinced me to buy "Demonic" and "Uninvited" and I really liked both, so thanks. Also I am jealous you got to meet so many cool people (especially Amber Heard, because I am in love with her).
I'm happy if my post help you watched Demonic. It was a surprise, entertaining lil horror flick with creepy score.

I also like to met horror people during the october horror month challenge. Fits the theme.
Yes Amber is very attractive. Didn't know she likes the same sex.
Old 11-03-11, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake View Post
I've been taking time at work (I know I'm horrible) to read your reviews. Your review for Jennifer's Body doesn't work, it takes you to doomsday. it might be a good thing from what I remember from the movie.
Whoops! Thanks for letting me know. Fixed it.
Old 11-03-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just want to throw this out there while I have an internet connection, we have been experiencing terrible outages and communications failures at Hamilton's for the past few days due to the crazy weather so if I am not johnny-on-the-spot to respond to PMs and send out the prizes, please understand!

But I can see the prizes from where I type...they are right on my desk, ready to go once I have the addresses, etc. And right now we're back up and connected. ***knocks on wood!***
Old 11-03-11, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Biggest Letdown
- Colin - I really liked he idea, but it was so freaking boring and dull. Ahhh Zombies did a much better job *while not the same had the same idea but different follow thru*
- Hissss - I really wanted to like this and remember it having some good parts, but rest was too forgettable to the point i cant even remember why i didnt like it.
- Red Hook - ZZZzzz

Biggest Surprises!
-Poltergeist - this is one of those movie i avoided like the plague. I totally had the wrong idea about what this film was about. glad i blindly DVR'ed it and is now prolly one of my favorite movies and one ill be revisiting every halloween.
- Paranormal Activity 2 - I HATED the original and wasnt sure why i watched this one but rrally enjoyed it did everything the original promised.
- Birdemic - a movie thats been on my list for awhile knowing how bad it was. I been on the fence and the first half really let me down but redeemed itselt in the second half...right up there and makes a great addition to Troll 2 and Death Bed.

Best Nudity
- Bloodlust Zombies - not a good movie by any means and i dont remember her name but the blonde in this movie nude scenes really stuck our amongst the rest i watched.

Worst Nudity
- Cannibal - while i was gonna put a slaughter vomit movie here I went with Cannibal (with violent shit a close second) Im not homophobic or anything but the large amount or penis flying around and for so long made me feel ackward for the first 45 mins of this movie.

new watches - 60

Top 5 new watches (in no order)
Poltergeist
Dolls
Paranormal Activity 2
Silver Bullet
Troll Hunter

Favorite Moment
- Seeing ghostbusters in the theatres

dvd 67
bd 16
tv 20
theater 3
theater 20
broken Equipment 1 ps3
Diseases - Flu for last 5 days
halloween activities 10 (pennhurst asylum being the best)
snow 13 Inches
Old 11-03-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a great time this year, as expected. My apologies for my list being so out of date, but I ran into some power and internet outages in my lodging stay during the latest non-winter, winter storm. I'll be finished this weekend for sure.

Thanks to all, and thanks for running the madness, Chad!
Old 11-03-11, 06:31 PM

I look forward to this challenge all year long, so a big thanks to everyone - especially Chad! - for making this such a great one. I'm not a big "talker" but I do enjoy reading all the discussions and reviews throughout it all.

My own wrap-up:
Personal Goals Met:
  • Checklist completed with no duplicates.
  • All 31 subset films viewed on their chosen day.
  • At least 2 films watched for each day's theme.
  • Exceeded last year's challenge by a whopping 1! (But logged 8h12m more viewing time.)
Missed:
    Films Watched: 135 (36 DVDs & BDs from unwatched pile)

TV Episodes Watched: 54 (1 miniseries DVD and 1 season BD from unwatched pile)

Short Films Watched: 14

By Decade: 2010: 70, 2000: 48, 1980: 20, 1990: 17, 1970: 17, 1960: 11, 1950: 6, 1940: 2, 1930: 1, 1920: 1, 1900: 1, 1890: 1

By Language (8 spoken languages): English: 144 (5 dubbed), Silent: 4, Norwegian: 3, French: 3, Swedish: 2, Spanish: 2, Finnish: 1, Japanese: 1, Russian: 1

Favorite First-Times: [REC]2, Troll Hunter, Zombieland

Least Favorite First-Times: Prime Evil, Death on Demand, Maniac (1934)
    A little sad it's over, but my DVR is happy to have my attention focused on catching up on everything I've been setting aside for a month! Also, I like to take this time to catch up on all the list posts and reviews I may have missed, now that they're completed. Excellent way to getting ideas for next year!
    Old 11-03-11, 06:35 PM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

last couple years my list always got backed up bc everytime i would go to update id end up looking over the lists. especially the first two years being "newer" to horror and writing down all the reccomendations. this year i made myself wait till the end of the challenge to look over everyones lists.

It did free up A LOT of time and my list stayed updated and i participated alot more in these threads then i have in the past. now i just spent the last 2 hours looking thru everyones list and wow some awesome ones and alot of people hitting good numbers

picking my top 3 was rough but had to go with the top 3 i did visit throughout the challenge and read reviews and blog posts.

and as always ty chad for running another awesome challenge and congrats to everyone who hit theyre goals and had a good time.

would love if any of yall wanted to try one more time for horror club or maybe start a monthly horror discusion thread or something of that nature. i really enjoyed talking with some of yall about movies and reading your thoughts and being that i watch alot of horror year round id like some new people to talk to.
    Old 11-03-11, 08:54 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Did anyone else have weird experiences related to the films they watched for this challenge? I had two. The first was a nightmarish dream that foreshadowed an image seen the next day in an anime ghost story I watched. I’m superstitious enough to refuse to describe it or the curse-related plot element that gave rise to that image in the anime. Esp. since the anime had an epilogue describing the real-life curse arising from the dramatized incident that has persisted to this day.

The second involved VIDEODROME. I was watching it on a VCR in my bedroom. It was the scene where James Woods’ character first “penetrates” himself, sticking some black object into a slit that has formed in his abdomen. As I was watching, I felt something wet on the bed. It was a spot of blood on the blanket. I looked over my leg and there was blood in two spots on my leg and one on my foot. I went into the bathroom to clean myself off and examine my leg and foot for wounds. I had been clipping my toenails earlier and I thought that might have accounted for it, but now there was no evident wound at all. And given the blood spots I found, there should have been one visible. Weird.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-03-11 at 08:59 PM.
    Old 11-03-11, 10:10 PM
    Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
    Did anyone else have weird experiences related to the films they watched for this challenge?
    I almost had a good one. Came home from work on 11/1 and my power was out. I've been paying my power bill with the CheckFree automatic payment option with Dominion Power for decades. They discontinued that option a few months ago. I never open my mail. You do the math.

If this power outage was in the middle of some scary film, or after returning home from Paranormal Activity 3 two days previously, it would have been freakishly frightening.
    Old 11-03-11, 10:52 PM
    DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awards

Best Title Watched:
    Commentary For From Dusk Till Dawn
    Runner Up:
    Otis

Wife’s Best Title Watched:
    Dream House

Worst Title Watched:
    Deathbed

Wife’s Worst Title Watched:
    Totem

Hottest Undead Chick:
    Melody Anderson in Dead & Burried
    Runners Up:
    Linnea Quigley in Commentary for The Return Of The Living Dead
    Marina Pierro in The Living Dead Girl

Challenge Surprises (out of left field awesomeness):
    Pandorum
    Shock Waves
    Visiting Hours
    Dead & Buried
    Repo! The Genetic Opera
    Doomsday
    American Horror Story
    Santa Sangre
    Priest
    The Burning
    Night Watch

Me And My Wife Completely Agree On:
    Human Centipede (3.5)
    Trackman (2.5)
    Willard (3)
    Evil Laugh (2)
    Totem (1.5)
    Season Of The Witch (3.5)
    Hobo With A Shotgun (4)

WTF Award
    Santa Sangre

--------------------------------------------------

Additional Statistics
    Spoiler:

Number of 1st time viewings:
    101 out of 101 (100%)

Number of titles watched with wife:
    21 out of 101 (21%)

Most Watched From Decade:
    1. 2000 - 35 out of 101 (35%)
    2. 2010 – 14.25 out of 101 (14%)
    3. 1980 – 13.5 out of 101 (13%)

Most Watched By Rating:
    1. Unrated (Pre & Post MPAA) - 45 out of 101 (45%)
    2. R - 41 out of 101 (41%)
    3. PG - 5 out of 101 (5%)

Most Watched By Format
    1.) Internet – 39.25 out of 101 (39%)
    2.) DVD – 36.5 out of 101 (36%)
    3.) Blu-Ray - 18 out of 101 (18%)

Most Watched Sub-Genre / Type
    1.) Slasher / Psycho / Homicidal Maniac - 18 out of 101 (18%)
    2.) Monster / Creature Feature / Godzilla - 16 out of 101 (16%)
    3.) Vampire – 14.25 out of 101 (14%)

Highest Rated Viewings:
    (4.5 out of 5 or better)
    Pandorum (4.5)
    Commentary For From Dusk Till Dawn (5)
    Commentary For Shock Waves (4.5)
    Dead & Buried (4.5)
    Otis (5)
    Dead Ringers (4.5)
    American Horror Story S01E04 (4.5)
    The Burning (4.5)
    Night Watch (4.5)

Wife's Highest Rated Of The Challenge:
    (4 out of 5 or better)
    Dream House (4)
    The Strangers (4)
    Village Of The Damned (4)
    The Burning (4)
    Hobo With A Shotgun (4)

My Lowest Rated Titles Of The Challenge:
    (1.5 out of 5 or lower (1 being the lowest possible score))
    Headspace (1.5)
    Atomic Age Vampire (1.5)
    Night Of The Ghouls (1.5)
    Death Bed (1)
    Totem (1.5)

My Wife's Lowest Rated Titles Of The Challenge:
    (2 out of 5 or lower (1 being the lowest possible score))
    Zombie Holocaust (2)
    The Hitcher (2)
    Evil Laugh (2)
    Totem (1.5)
    Old 11-04-11, 07:52 AM

Thanks Chad! You set the standard once again!

I had a modest 25 flicks as a goal and managed to double it. Down from my usual count, but not bad total for me. I did really crappy on first time viewings, but of the few I did manage I loved "Tucker and Dale Vs Evil" and "The Woman".

It was amazing how fast the month went. Can't wait 'till next year.
    Old 11-04-11, 08:05 AM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did anyone else have weird experiences related to the films they watched for this challenge?
    while watching THE INNOCENTS a bird flew into my window during the hallway freak out scene. scared the shit out of me.
    Old 11-04-11, 10:33 AM

It's going to make me sound certifiable, but my experience after getting home from the midnight showing of "Paranormal Activity" was a doozy. I got home at about 1:45, locked the door, and went in the bathroom to get ready for bed. I heard a noise and came out into the hallway, and the front door was unlocked. I live alone in an apartment with my cat, and I was already scared from the movie, so this nearly sent me into hysterics, but I calmed myself down, convinced myself that I had forgotten to lock the door, and went to bed. I was so scared I was lying there awake refusing to even close my eyes, so I know I wasn't asleep and dreaming this, but about ten minutes after I lay down to go to bed, over my left shoulder, clear as day, I heard someone say my name. I was out of bed like a shot and I turned the light on, only to find my cat standing by the door, her fur standing up, her ears laid back, staring at the spot on the bed where I'd heard the voice, and she was hissing like mad.

I'll be honest, it scared the shit out of me. It's still kind of scary even now, days later. There's no explanation for it, but these kind of weird things happened last year after I watched the first "Paranormal Activity" on DVD, and they are the reason I was afraid to watch the second two. I bought the second one the day it came out on DVD but I've been a big wimp and too afraid to watch it for months. Smart idea to watch them both in the same day then, right?

So anyway, if I stop posting suddenly, you guys will all know that I've been possessed and/or killed by a demon.
    Old 11-04-11, 10:45 AM
    DVD Talk Legend

It's going to make me sound certifiable, but my experience after getting home from the midnight showing of "Paranormal Activity" was a doozy. I got home at about 1:45, locked the door, and went in the bathroom to get ready for bed. I heard a noise and came out into the hallway, and the front door was unlocked. I live alone in an apartment with my cat, and I was already scared from the movie, so this nearly sent me into hysterics, but I calmed myself down, convinced myself that I had forgotten to lock the door, and went to bed. I was so scared I was lying there awake refusing to even close my eyes, so I know I wasn't asleep and dreaming this, but about ten minutes after I lay down to go to bed, over my left shoulder, clear as day, I heard someone say my name. I was out of bed like a shot and I turned the light on, only to find my cat standing by the door, her fur standing up, her ears laid back, staring at the spot on the bed where I'd heard the voice, and she was hissing like mad.

I'll be honest, it scared the shit out of me. It's still kind of scary even now, days later. There's no explanation for it, but these kind of weird things happened last year after I watched the first "Paranormal Activity" on DVD, and they are the reason I was afraid to watch the second two. I bought the second one the day it came out on DVD but I've been a big wimp and too afraid to watch it for months. Smart idea to watch them both in the same day then, right?

So anyway, if I stop posting suddenly, you guys will all know that I've been possessed and/or killed by a demon.
    Wow, that's one for the books. Definitely scarier than anything I watched for this challenge. I'm wondering if movies like this simply expand the power of suggestion or, more disturbingly, influence our subconscious to be more susceptible to intrusions of ghostly phenomena and the like.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.