Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Old 10-31-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 545 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
I'm battling one too. About to check out Popcorn (Didn't get to see it last year and I'm not letting it slip by on me again in the last minute)

And I still need to check off a Commentary-selection to finally complete the checklist. Already know what it's gonna be, I just hope I'm not hella drowsy by then.
Dude, pulling 20 hour movie days does you in. A few years back I went pretty much straight all day and it just wiped me out. Congrts on your tenacity and creative daily list content count.
Old 10-31-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 214 Likes on 183 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Just when I thought I'd be taking it easy today I find out I'm only 5 away from surpassing my all-time total. I'm sure competitiveness will win out.

And BTW, don't forget this little shindig rolls on until until dawn.
You *would* have to bring this up... I was all set to complain about out-of-town company costing me 3 films yesterday which would stop me from hitting 160. I'd planned it out and before they arrived yesterday I would have hit that magical number around 10 tonight. As I'm now at 156 it's possible to skip sleeping one more night and squeeze in those last 4 titles. Sleep? Horror? Sleep? Horror? Sleepy horror? Just how badly do I want to hit 160? Hmmm if I do it right I can end with a couple of horror comedy titles to segue into the First Annual Comedy Challenge...
Old 10-31-11, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 214 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
...pulling 20 hour movie days does you in. A few years back I went pretty much straight all day and it just wiped me out...
It doesn't even take 20 hour days. I've been doing 12-18 hours on Saturdays and Sundays and 4-6 hours every weekday. It takes a toll, especially pulling those late hours during the week after marathon weekend sessions. I commented to my wife Saturday night that I was tired whereupon she retorted "Why? You haven't done anything but sit on the couch all day!". I'm hoping the drive to watch *lots and lots* of films doesn't kick in on the Comedy one and I'll let myself coast to 100... I can use the rest.
Old 10-31-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 377 Likes on 158 Posts

Why? Because it's Halloween:

http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detai...20&weekday=tue

Spoiler:
Old 10-31-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just realized theres a horror group forum...that no one uses. i know i brought it up in an earlier thread about started a horror discussion group sharing opinions and group watches whatever...would anyone be interested in getting that forum activity? lol dont wanna be that guy posting myself. I will be participating lightly in the comedy challenge to support a new one but will still mainly watching horror. I was gonna create a thread following me re watching my horror collection of about 1000 titles of movies i havent seen in year, never seen, or hated...to try and get it thined out.

with the challenge i spent 5 hours heckling trick or treaters and ready to pass out and call it quits so im gonna watch the ghost hunters special untill i doze off and im done will post my top lists tomorrow

HAPPY HALLOWEEN
Old 10-31-11, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it may have been mentioned previously, but when do the lists have to be completed and set up on the site? I'm still trying to get everything together from my vacation and the days after.
Old 10-31-11, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Something I always thought of as a HUGE cheat in Black Christmas:

Spoiler:
So, the calls are coming from inside the dorm. Okay, got ya'. However it is established that the phone is on the second floor and in most of the calls the killer is screaming.

Do you mean to tell me that NOBODY heard this at all. Perhaps the gals are attending a school for the deaf.

Has always bugged me about that flicked.
Old 10-31-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a week after today.
Old 10-31-11, 09:29 PM

Something I always thought of as a HUGE cheat in Black Christmas:

Spoiler:
So, the calls are coming from inside the dorm. Okay, got ya'. However it is established that the phone is on the second floor and in most of the calls the killer is screaming.

Do you mean to tell me that NOBODY heard this at all. Perhaps the gals are attending a school for the deaf.

Has always bugged me about that flicked.
I've always wondered that too.
Spoiler:
I try to pretend that the phone he is calling from is in a bedroom in the WAY back, just so that I can keep some of the movie magic there. Still a very creepy movie.
Old 10-31-11, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 226 Posts

Just hit my goal of 50 films!

Thought it was impossible with how my work/class/life schedule has been so far this fall.

I had to make Film #50 my favorite Horror film of all time....The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Old 10-31-11, 09:47 PM

Halloween has been a scream so far. Horror movie marathon, handing out candy, and trying to scare the kiddies with my costume (they just laughed, though I think some of the parents gave me the stink eye).

Rough night at the prom...some girl won homecoming queen, but then she got blood dumped all over her onstage and everything started going to hell...people blowing up, bodies flying left and right...I ran for my life (and didn't even get a book named after me).

Last edited by edwardnortonfan; 10-31-11 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-31-11, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know as many times as I have seen the original Halloween tonight was the first time I've noticed that when Bob carries Lynda into the house he just leaves his truck passenger side door wide open. Ahhh, the 70s. Times were different back then. You didn't even have to close your door, let alone lock it, on Halloween night. :P
Old 10-31-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, is Filmgore aggravating - they show like half of Blood Feast, and Elvira's "quips" are just awful. They frequently interrupt the clips at their climatic point with a brief distracting dud, like when Elvira jumps in with a lame shout of "Lurk before you leap!" as Sally falls from the window in TCM.
Old 10-31-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan View Post
Halloween has been a scream so far. Horror movie marathon, handing out candy, and trying to scare the kiddies with my costume (they just laughed, though I think some of the parents gave me the stink eye).
i always appreciate when people put effort into giving out candy. i hate when parents give you shit for trying to spook theyre little angels on HALLOwEEN. i remember EVERY house that went all out as a child and remember how proud i was when i finally got the courage to go up to get candy after all the years of skipping it...now its all HAPPY-ween nonsense.
Old 10-31-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And while I'm griping about a classic...somethings that have always bugged me about Halloween:

Spoiler:
When Micheal stabs Bob there is no way that knife went through him enough to pin him to the wall and don't even get me started on the logistics of that working anyway!

Also for as long as Loomis is standing at the Myers house waiting for Micheal to show up you'd think he'd have simply, you know, looked behind him to see the asylum car parked there let alone seen it in broad daylight when there earlier.

Also, also...how to Micheal get into Lindsay's car when she had the keys inside? Does he carry around a coathanger for this purpose? And what the hell was he doing in there for the minute or so it took Linday to go inside for him to fog up the windows so much?

Also, also, also...when Laurie leaves the house to investigate across the street she clearly doesn't lock the door. Why is it she can't get in afterwards whilst fumbling with the keys she doesn't need to begin with. And where the hell is the outside doorknob on that door, anyway?

Hey, fans, don't shoot the messenger. :P

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 10-31-11 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-31-11, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by terrycloth View Post
i always appreciate when people put effort into giving out candy. i hate when parents give you shit for trying to spook theyre little angels on HALLOwEEN. i remember EVERY house that went all out as a child and remember how proud i was when i finally got the courage to go up to get candy after all the years of skipping it...now its all HAPPY-ween nonsense.
No kidding. In our area, most parents won't even take their kids trick-or-treating anymore because the local churches protest against it and post flyers and have "trunk-or-treat" parties where kids can come there and get candy without the "satanism" and danger of wandering the streets. I'm all for going to church, but you tell me why it's "satanic" to get candy from people around town, but somehow it's not bad to get it from the church? What do they do, throw holy water on the candy first before they give it to the kids? Bah. Humbug. If I ever have kids, I'm raising them to dress in whatever costume they want, run around and get candy, and then eat it while they sit up and watch "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte" with me like I did when I was a kid. Watching that movie tonight brought back fun Halloween memories for me. Nothing "satanic" about that.
Old 10-31-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

A Baltimore cop was on the news last night giving safe trick or treating tips... that should be common sense. My favorite thing he said was "no back alleys". Immediately I thought "thanks for the tip officer, I'll stay away from the bums. The kids don't need their liquor this year."
Old 10-31-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 226 Posts

You know as many times as I have seen the original Halloween tonight was the first time I've noticed that when Bob carries Lynda into the house he just leaves his truck passenger side door wide open. Ahhh, the 70s. Times were different back then. You didn't even have to close your door, let alone lock it, on Halloween night. :P
Growing up in Michigan, most of the time we would leave our garage door open as well as the door leading from there into the house. We locked it obviously when we were all going to bed.

Many of our friends who lived in the neighborhood would just pop in and say Hello.

When I moved out to California that sort of idea all changed

Halloween is still my favorite Holiday out of the entire year. Even though I am a little too old to go Trick or Treating, something about the entire Holiday reminds me of being a kid again and brings back all the good memories I had associated with Halloween
Old 10-31-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And while I'm griping about a classic...somethings that have always bugged me about Halloween:

Spoiler:
When Micheal stabs Bob there is no way that knife went through him enough to pin him to the wall and don't even get me started on the logistics of that working anyway!

Also for as long as Loomis is standing at the Myers house waiting for Micheal to show up you'd think he'd have simply, you know, looked behind him to see the asylum car parked there let alone seen it in broad daylight when there earlier.

Also, also...how to Micheal get into Lindsay's car when she had the keys inside? Does he carry around a coathanger for this purpose? And what the hell was he doing in there for the minute or so it took Linday to go inside for him to fog up the windows so much?

Also, also, also...when Laurie leaves the house to investigate across the street she clearly doesn't lock the door. Why is it she can't get in afterwards whilst fumbling with the keys she doesn't need to begin with. And where the hell is the outside doorknob on that door, anyway?

Hey, fans, don't shoot the messenger. :P
Spoiler:
Bob being pinned to the wall always bugged me, too. In fact, I think the last act of the movie is the weakest part.

Still love the movie, though.
Old 10-31-11, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 341 Posts

I need to go back and read people's comments, but I'm trying to cram the last things in that I can. I finished one of my temp entries. Then I cashed in a wildcard with 42nd Street Forever Vol. 1. I watched a few more trailers from that (I had watched it throughout the month) before putting on Halloween, which I just finished. Now I need to complete one more temp entry, which will include Peanuts Halloween, and then Halloween II. After that, assuming I can stay awake long enough for one more night, I will have 123, which would be one more than last year, a new personal best.

Time to get back to it. I hope everyone is having a very happy Halloween, however you chose to celebrate!
Old 10-31-11, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 177 Likes on 132 Posts

I've enjoyed the challenge this year. Was hopeful of hitting 100 when the discussion threads began. However, I'm very content with a total that will barely exceed 50, considering the amount of time I spent watching the Cardinals play in October.
Old 10-31-11, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 207 Likes on 136 Posts

Just hit 100 with Night Watch and now it's time for Day Watch.

(Checklist is done I just have to fill it in a bit)
Old 10-31-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 377 Likes on 158 Posts

Two down and three to go ...until reaching the magic number of 165.

And if you're looking for a last-minute Halloween themed movie that's not the same 'ol thing:

Cemetery of Terror

Originally Posted by kthnxbai View Post
I know it may have been mentioned previously, but when do the lists have to be completed and set up on the site? I'm still trying to get everything together from my vacation and the days after.
I'd appreciate it if you could have it no later than 1 week after this is over.
Old 10-31-11, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Calling it quits with 114 entries this month. While I am very happy that I finally cracked the 100 mark, I still feel like I missed out on so many great movies that I meant to watch. The Fog, So Sad About Gloria, The Haunting, Dolls, Monster House, The Exorcist... the list goes on. There's never enough time to fit them all in.

Todays viewings were: Trick 'r Treat, Night of the Demons (1988), Happy Hell Night, Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh, and King of the Zombies. Night of the Demons & now Trick 'r Treat are synonymous with October for me, you can't have one without the other (or Sam might cut you). Revisiting Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh was great too. It may take place during Mardi Gras, but it sure feels like a Halloween movie to me.

My original intent was to watch a Halloween marathon tonight, but I had AMC on so much for background noise this month that I feel like i have watched them all about twelve times each in recent days.

Last edited by onebyone; 10-31-11 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-01-11, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

And I reached my goal of 100 movies with Godzilla: Final Wars.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.