Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Old 10-30-11, 11:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 369 Likes on 255 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

^ We've also talked about adding Cannes and other awards to the category.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3 View Post
I got the chance to go see TI West (house of the devil) new movie the Innkeepers on Friday night. He was there introducing the film and then doing a Q&A afterwards. Also got a keychain from one of the rooms mentioned in the movie.

It was a another good one by Ti..though this is not like house of the devil dealing with satanism its a ghost story. Sara Paxton did a wonderful job. This had plenty of dialouge with some jumpy moments. The score and creepiness factor is what Ti is a master at. This all leads to the last 15 mins where you get the big pay off- gets very good, like house of the devil.

I'm a bit sadden this won't hit theaters till February but will be on VOD in December. You guys should check it out. Maybe for next years challenge.
I am so jealous! I've been waiting for this movie ever since it was announced. House of the Devil is amazing and I knew he'd do another great job with this. Can't wait for the VOD (and the eventual blu-ray release!) so that I can finally see it.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Changing it to a nomination would be great.
Old 10-30-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 142 Likes on 98 Posts

Regarding the Academy Awards, I know that this year we dropped Criterion Collection from the checklist because it has its own challenge now. I'd be fine with dropping the Oscars altogether for the same reason. I'm indifferent enough I'm not going to campaign for this, but thought I'd throw it out there that maybe it's fine to just drop that category altogether.

As for me, I didn't get to anything last night after all. I'm nauseated at present and think I'm gonna take some meds and get back to bed. Maybe I can squeeze in something later.
Old 10-30-11, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

I've never minded the Academy Award category, but I'm not going to lobby super strong to keep it. Like SethDLH says, maybe just add nomination. That would open the field quite a bit.
Old 10-30-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
I caught that earlier in the week. Movie was fucked up. Aside from that, I still really don't know quite what to make of it. I think its a movie that I'll have to revisit to really form an opinion on.
I'm always interested in films that make people really react. Just reading a random blub on the film, the plot sounded along the lines of Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door.

Good to see Lucky McGee getting some attention. Hadn't heard from him since he did that Masters of Horror piece.
Old 10-30-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Does anyone have the actual stats? If there are in fact a limited number of options, perhaps the category could be changed from 'Won an Academy Award' to 'Was Nominated for an Academy Award'.
I don't have any stats, but here's a list of some horror films which have won an Oscar:
Some are arguable as they are either "thrillers" and not "horror" or, while horror based, not true horror films.

Alien
Aliens
An American Werewolf in London
Beetlejuice
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
The Exorcist
The Fly (1986)
Gaslight
Jaws
Jurrasic Park
King Kong (1976)
King Kong (2005)
The Omen
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Pan's Labyrinth
Phantom of the Opera (1943)
Rosemary's Baby
The Silence of the Lambs
Sleepy Hollow
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
The War of the Worlds (1953)
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

While it's a fairly short list there are some excellent films. Opening up to other nationalities awards would extend it as would using anything nominated for an award anywhere. I'm good with whatever is decided.
Old 10-30-11, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kthnxbai View Post
I am so jealous! I've been waiting for this movie ever since it was announced. House of the Devil is amazing and I knew he'd do another great job with this. Can't wait for the VOD (and the eventual blu-ray release!) so that I can finally see it.
Tell me about it. I also was waiting for this for awhile too. Kept seeing they were screening it in other states.
It didn't disappoint.
Old 10-30-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
...FRANKENSTEIN 1970 was the first horror film I saw on the big screen. Even at that tender age, I recognized it as a rip-off, having already seen the original FRANKENSTEIN on TV...
I remember thinking the same thing when I first saw the Hammer remakes of the classic Uni horror titles (I believe the first one I saw was The Mummy). I dismissed them as being rip-offs, but I watched them anyway. It was *years* later before I found out they were authorized remakes and actually gave them a chance. I now like them *almost* as much as the classic Uni films.
Old 10-30-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the Horror Of Dracula is better than Browning's Dracula.
Old 10-30-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 407 Likes on 164 Posts

Ghostwatch was an absolute riot. Why can't the ghost hunting shows in the states do a live Halloween special like that? Just go balls out and have fun with it.

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
^ We've also talked about adding Cannes and other awards to the category.
I really like the idea of expanding the category by combining it with Cannes, Bafta, etc. But all suggestions duly noted.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
Another checklist suggestion is to add "Based on a HP Lovecrat story."
We had that one on theme nights a couple years back, but no reason we can't reuse it:

http://www.hplovecraft.com/popcult/moviestv/based.asp

And that list looks to have a few missing.

I really liked the first two Paranormal Activity movies but part 3 stretches the found footage gag too much and take too long to get going but once it does there are some nice twists. I would recommend it only for fans of the first two.

PA3 seems to be doing fairly well in theaters...
I the thought first one was decent and that was probably due to the fact I was catching it in an old crickety cabin in the middle of nowhere. The second one I found incredibly boring. While I do get the hate for them, I don't think they're that bad. Although it looks like it'll be replacing the Saw franchise as the new Halloween tradition and wearing out its welcome very soon.
Old 10-30-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Producer/Writer/Director Joel Soisson is likely screwing up everyone here by participatig in dreadful horror sequels shamelessly riding earlier franchise success into the dirt. He is a mastermind behind Children of the Corn: Genesis, Hellraiser: Revelations, Piranha 3DD, the american remake of j-horror classic Pulse (plus 2 sequels), Mimic 2, and Dracula II/III among others. I was just subjected to The Prophecy (IV): Uprising which he produced. Nevermind Feast (which was good) and Nightmare on Elm Street II (under-rated but not great).

Due to his behind the scenes infamy I would like to suggest either someone assassinate him; or he be included in next years checklist.
Old 10-30-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would Filmgore, a clip collection hosted by Elvira, count for the Host checklist item?
Old 10-30-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished watching I Spit On Your Grave (2010) for the first time. I'm a big fan of the original and I was surprised how much I liked this remake.

Pushes the envelope in all the right places. I was cheering and cringing all at the same time!

Also I was curious about a lot of Rape/Revenge flicks. Why is it that the female leads are always sexualized before all the violence goes down? It's sort of mixed messages in terms of an overall film. It was also strange in the remake of the film the sort of fetishized lens when filming Jennifer at the gas station.

Producer/Writer/Director Joel Soisson is likely screwing up everyone here by participatig in dreadful horror sequels shamelessly riding earlier franchise success into the dirt. He is a mastermind behind Children of the Corn: Genesis, Hellraiser: Revelations, Piranha 3DD, the american remake of j-horror classic Pulse (plus 2 sequels), Mimic 2, and Dracula II/III among others. I was just subjected to The Prophecy (IV): Uprising which he produced. Nevermind Feast (which was good) and Nightmare on Elm Street II (under-rated but not great).
I don't know why but part of me wants Pirahna 3DD to be good (or fun). The rest of those films are pretty awful and I've only heard bad things about the new Children of the Corn and Hellraiser films.
Old 10-30-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Daily films? Done. Woo hoo. Once I watch something for today's theme, that pretty much makes me done with all my goals for this year's challenge, other than to better last year's total, but that would have been especially difficult considering I was unemployed last year. I will actually be close to that total, though, so I'm pretty proud of that. And not nearly the number of pure stinkers as past years, though there have been a few.
Old 10-30-11, 03:17 PM

Does anyone have a favorite publisher? I really like Mondo Macabro it seems like they restore and put out intelligent gutsy films, like Santanico Pandemonium and Lorna the Exorcist (which I really enjoyed). Secondly, for me, Synapse Films is hit or miss but they seem to have a diverse catalog with oddities like Wild Zero, the Henenlotter stuff, or Embodiment of Evil.

I want to like Code Red but they are often plagued with poor transfers and immature menu gags (i.e. the Messiah of Evil menu keeps looping a minor cheesy one-liner, down with Septic Cinema). Blue Underground has a good catalog but it's not as eccentric although credit to them for going BluRay.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-30-11 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-30-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone have a favorite publisher? I really like Mondo Macabro it seems like they restore and put out intelligent gutsy films, like Santanico Pandemonium and Lorna the Exorcist (which I really enjoyed). Secondly, for me, Synapse Films is hit or miss but they seem to have a diverse catalog with oddities like Wild Zero, the Henenlotter stuff, or Embodiment of Evil.

I want to like Code Red but they are often plagued with poor transfers and immature menu gags (i.e. the Messiah of Evil menu keeps looping a minor cheesy one-liner, down with Septic Cinema). Blue Underground has a good catalog but it's not as eccentric although credit to them for going BluRay.
Synapse Films & Unearthed Filmss as my tie for favorite publisher

Mondo Macabro definitely comes in second and Blue Undergroundcoming in third. Blue Underground has slipped for me slightly since they haven't been putting out a lot of new films compared to their past/previous efforts.

6 films away from my goal of 50!

Going to try a marathon today to make my final day a little more open. Oddly enough I have an interview with the County Coroner for my Career Planning class on Monday.
Old 10-30-11, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Finished watching I Spit On Your Grave (2010) ... I was curious about a lot of Rape/Revenge flicks. Why is it that the female leads are always sexualized before all the violence goes down? It's sort of mixed messages in terms of an overall film. It was also strange in the remake of the film the sort of fetishized lens when filming Jennifer at the gas station.
I'm still not sure I understand all of it but it seems there's a good sense of depth to a lot of these exploitation rape/revenge films; there's got to be some college credit course on rape/revenge out there somewhere. The Joe Bob Briggs commentary on the Elite Entertainment disc of original I Spit On Your Grave (1978) has some informative discussion about feminine theory in rape/revenge films regarding the sex as a weapon angle. Within the film sexualized then raped women seem out of place but in a large social commentary it makes more sense. Shout Factory's Slumberparty Massacre, which was directed by a female, linear notes address some of this suggesting "the girls took on the masculine role" (see also Rape Me [2000] or Thriller: A Cruel Picture) and a sarcastic "dark sense of humor layered between the three nude scenes". Nevermind Virgin Spring.
Old 10-30-11, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My favorite publisher is defintiely Blue Underground, but I'd really like to see them put out some new titles.
Old 10-30-11, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Would Filmgore, a clip collection hosted by Elvira, count for the Host checklist item?
I think that should count.

Finished watching I Spit On Your Grave (2010) for the first time. I'm a big fan of the original and I was surprised how much I liked this remake.

Pushes the envelope in all the right places. I was cheering and cringing all at the same time!

Also I was curious about a lot of Rape/Revenge flicks. Why is it that the female leads are always sexualized before all the violence goes down? It's sort of mixed messages in terms of an overall film. It was also strange in the remake of the film the sort of fetishized lens when filming Jennifer at the gas station.
I still need to check that one out.

Synapse Films & Unearthed Filmss as my tie for favorite publisher

Mondo Macabro definitely comes in second and Blue Undergroundcoming in third. Blue Underground has slipped for me slightly since they haven't been putting out a lot of new films compared to their past/previous efforts.

6 films away from my goal of 50!

Going to try a marathon today to make my final day a little more open. Oddly enough I have an interview with the County Coroner for my Career Planning class on Monday.
As far as favorite horror publishers go, it would have to be pretty close between Synapse Films and Blue Underground for me. I understand the complaints about Blue Underground not releasing anything new, but when they were first releasing DVDs, I was flat broke and wasn't really buying much any more. I just couldn't afford it. Now that I'm buying again it's basically Blu-ray only. I still don't have a Blue Underground DVD in my collection, so I don't mind if Blue Underground revisits titles on Blu-ray because they're mainly all new to my collection anyway.
Old 10-30-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SethDLH View Post
My favorite publisher is defintiely Blue Underground, but I'd really like to see them put out some new titles.
Yup, I'm getting pretty tired of the re-releases too.
Old 10-30-11, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, I'm getting pretty tired of the re-releases too.
I mean I'm welcome to them, especially on some titles I really like and love but a new title mixed in with the re-releases would keep it fresh.
Old 10-30-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SethDLH View Post
I mean I'm welcome to them, especially on some titles I really like and love but a new title mixed in with the re-releases would keep it fresh.
The only new title they released in all of 2011 (out of 10 total) was the atrocious Nesting. So far, both announced titles for 2012 are upgrades, with the two Larry Cohen re-releases presumably on the way as well.
Old 10-30-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I don't have any stats, but here's a list of some horror films which have won an Oscar:
Some are arguable as they are either "thrillers" and not "horror" or, while horror based, not true horror films.

Alien
Aliens
An American Werewolf in London
Beetlejuice
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
The Exorcist
The Fly (1986)
Gaslight
Jaws
Jurrasic Park
King Kong (1976)
King Kong (2005)
The Omen
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Pan's Labyrinth
Phantom of the Opera (1943)
Rosemary's Baby
The Silence of the Lambs
Sleepy Hollow
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
The War of the Worlds (1953)
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

While it's a fairly short list there are some excellent films. Opening up to other nationalities awards would extend it as would using anything nominated for an award anywhere. I'm good with whatever is decided.
Misery
Old 10-30-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 407 Likes on 164 Posts

And the winner of trivia question #3 is SterlingBen!

Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of Frankenhooker on Blu-ray courtesy of Synapse.

The correct answers were:

1. The Curse of Frankenstein, 22
Spoiler:

2. Anthony (Tony) Timpone
3. Kaleidoscope

And sorry for the delay. Just wanted to make sure everyone was able to re-submit their answers after failing to clear out my PM inbox.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.