Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Old 10-29-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Just finished watching the uncut version of Torso. I'm sure it's been said before, but that last 30 minutes are absolutely masterful.

Last edited by Greg MacGuffin; 10-30-11 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-29-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I just watched Halloween 5... it was by far the roughest viewing I've ever had with it. I don't remember having quite so many problems with it as I did this time. Those bumbling Barney Fife cops made me want to jump through the screen and slap them. So did the stupid hokey music and sound effects when they were acting like idiots.
But it also has that awesome sequence of Michael chasing Jamie. I'm surprised little Danielle Harris didn't suffer some sort of PTSD from that (or that she didn't shred her vocal chords ).
Old 10-29-11, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got to see "Repo: The Genetic Opera."
Old 10-30-11, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
But it also has that awesome sequence of Michael chasing Jamie. I'm surprised little Danielle Harris didn't suffer some sort of PTSD from that (or that she didn't shred her vocal chords ).
It was almost like 2 entirely different movies... the first hour was really rough for me. The last 30 minutes were much better. As soon as they got passed the party/barn scenes it got down to real business and actually started to focus on Loomis and Jamie.
Old 10-30-11, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I really like this movie. i feel the only negative was paris hilton just seems so out of place here which is weird because this would appear to be a perfect role
Old 10-30-11, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Love that film. Got to see it twice in theaters, which was a real treat.

Dragged two different groups of friends with me both times
Old 10-30-11, 02:13 AM

So no one else liked "Amusement"?
I liked it. Yes, villain isn't that great but who cares. The first half of the movie had me hooked, 2nd half was alright.
Old 10-30-11, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Love that film. Got to see it twice in theaters, which was a real treat.

Dragged two different groups of friends with me both times
+1 for Repo
Love it also. However, I'm going to skip it for this challenge. Seen it so many times including last month. rather watch something I haven't seen
Old 10-30-11, 02:48 AM

I got the chance to go see TI West (house of the devil) new movie the Innkeepers on Friday night. He was there introducing the film and then doing a Q&A afterwards. Also got a keychain from one of the rooms mentioned in the movie.

It was a another good one by Ti..though this is not like house of the devil dealing with satanism its a ghost story. Sara Paxton did a wonderful job. This had plenty of dialouge with some jumpy moments. The score and creepiness factor is what Ti is a master at. This all leads to the last 15 mins where you get the big pay off- gets very good, like house of the devil.

I'm a bit sadden this won't hit theaters till February but will be on VOD in December. You guys should check it out. Maybe for next years challenge.

Old 10-30-11, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Repo rocks.

Just got through with Lucky McKee's "The Woman" and wow, still trying to decipher what my feelings on the film actually were. Once the initial shock wears off I think it'll be on the positive side. Only from the mind of Jack Ketchum.

This guy was pretty adamant on his stance:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o3lUAZLB4JY?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o3lUAZLB4JY?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 10-30-11, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Repo rocks.

Just got through with Lucky McKee's "The Woman" and wow, still trying to decipher what my feelings on the film actually were. Once the initial shock wears off I think it'll be on the positive side. Only from the mind of Jack Ketchum.
I caught that earlier in the week. Movie was fucked up. Aside from that, I still really don't know quite what to make of it. I think its a movie that I'll have to revisit to really form an opinion on.

I was planning to go a bit later into the night yesterday but a mystery illness took me right out of the game. I wound up dozing off on the couch for a while in a massive amount of pain before just calling it a night and heading to bed. I'll make up for it a bit today since this is the last day where I'll really have lots of time.
Old 10-30-11, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
I liked it. Yes, villain isn't that great but who cares. The first half of the movie had me hooked, 2nd half was alright.
Glad I'm not the only one! I know it's not great or anything, but I had a lot of fun watching it and it had a lot of creepy scenes. That life-sized clown "doll" part creeped me the hell out.
Old 10-30-11, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
It was almost like 2 entirely different movies... the first hour was really rough for me. The last 30 minutes were much better. As soon as they got passed the party/barn scenes it got down to real business and actually started to focus on Loomis and Jamie.
Yeah, that's how I viewed it. The first time I watched it I hated it, but on subsequent viewings I just kind of pretend the first half of the movie doesn't exist and I enjoy it more.
Old 10-30-11, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I really liked the first two Paranormal Activity movies but part 3 stretches the found footage gag too much and take too long to get going but once it does there are some nice twists. I would recommend it only for fans of the first two.

PA3 seems to be doing fairly well in theaters...
Old 10-30-11, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

10 inches of snow and elecricity flicking on and off for 30 mins i gave up watching anything yesterday minus the two i knocked out in the morning. wont be able to finish the checklist and i was so close this year
Old 10-30-11, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I forgot to mention this when I did the post on the Boris Karloff tribute event I attended on Thursday night, but Mayor Bloomberg (New York City) declared this "Boris Karloff Weekend," so New Yorkers have one day left to celebrate. TCM ran all of the Lewton-Karloff films last night. I chose to watch FRANKENSTEIN 1970 (1958) and the Lovecraft adaptation, DIE, MONSTER, DIE! (1965).

FRANKENSTEIN 1970 was the first horror film I saw on the big screen. Even at that tender age, I recognized it as a rip-off, having already seen the original FRANKENSTEIN on TV. When it was over, I'm sure that either my big brother or I was quick to say, in the parlance of the time, "That was cheap." Watching it now, what struck me as funny is how the aged and crippled Dr. Frankenstein (Karloff) was able to install a state-of-the-art lab—all by himself--in a secret basement chamber (accessible only via a stone staircase built into a coffin in the crypt with a movable top that only the good doctor knows how to move). He even has an atomic reactor shipped to him from Berlin--as if you could just buy one from a mail-order house without any government permits. Yet we never see workmen and technicians installing it. We’re supposed to believe that he got it down there all by himself and installed it successfully without any help and with no one in the house noticing it. And the monster is covered with bandages the whole time, so he looks more like the Mummy.
Old 10-30-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I completed the checklist at last! Luckily, the DC area was not too badly hit by the storm, so we rode out the rain and snow last night with some spiced wine and a voodoo-themed marathon
Old 10-30-11, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Watching #97 now and it is the last check on my checklist. Now I just need to get caught up with the reviews.
Old 10-30-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

day 29 http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...ge-day-29.html
Old 10-30-11, 10:55 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Plenty of ~1 hour movies out there. Do them all tomorrow and whatever you watch Monday is bonus!
True! I'm going to fire up the Roku and see what MOH movies they have on there. Hopefully a fair few to help me achieve my goal.

Saving 'The Exorcist' and 'Trick R' Treat' for tomorrow night after work to round off the challenge
Old 10-30-11, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Watched Gutterballs based on discussion in the pre-challenge thread. Delivered on the females but otherwise
Old 10-30-11, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really going to have to buckle down the last two days here in order to complete the checklist and reach my goal of 180. A couple of checklist suggestions for next year: Watch a film by Curtis Harrington and listen to a fan commentary, which could include any "unauthorized", aka 'not officially commissioned for a home video release' streaming or downloading track, such as the Icons of Fright tracks, in addition to the amateur/ fan tracks out there online.
Old 10-30-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Another checklist suggestion is to add "Based on a HP Lovecrat story." Also I propose ditching the Academy Award item because it is too narrow.
Old 10-30-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Also I propose ditching the Academy Award item because it is too narrow.
Does anyone have the actual stats? If there are in fact a limited number of options, perhaps the category could be changed from 'Won an Academy Award' to 'Was Nominated for an Academy Award'.
Old 10-30-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I didn't get quite as much done yesterday as I intended. My goal was to finish all the daily films, but I still have one left to watch. I figured I wouldn't have any trouble finishing everything, but my parents unexpectedly decided to come over yesterday. They had been cleaning out a bunch of stuff at their house, and I guess that momentum led them to my garage (and afterward to my grandmother's house). So, I ended up spending way more time than I planned cleaning up my garage and removing a dead cactus from my back yard, all tasks that should have been done NEXT weekend. Oh, well. I also still haven't gone out to see Paranormal Activity 3 yet. I really need to do that this afternoon because I know I won't have time to do it tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.