Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-11, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Last night, I was able to see a theatrical presentation of Nosferatu (1922) with live organ music. The university I attend has a gorgeous pipe organ, and the music melded perfectly with the film. It was a truly wonderful experience. I'm also find that film incredibly impressive. After all these years, it is still frightening to a modern audience (well, at least me and my friends).

Congrats to everyone who reached 100 (and beyond). I didn't even attempt it. But I had several personal objectives that I have met - such as finishing up several box sets and two TV seasons (Tremors: Complete Series and The Walking Dead: Season One).
Old 10-29-11, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Okay, I just went to check my mail and got a package from DD that included Kino's "American Silent Horror Collection." I'm super excited!!! Unfortunately, I may have to choose between watching these films or the ones in my other stack. Decisions, decisions...
Old 10-29-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Okay, I just went to check my mail and got a package from DD that included Kino's "American Silent Horror Collection." I'm super excited!!! Unfortunately, I may have to choose between watching these films or the ones in my other stack. Decisions, decisions...
Gotta at least watch The Cat and the Canary.
Old 10-29-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Congrats on hitting 100!

If it's this TV show, than IMDB has it listed under the Horror Sub-Category. You should be fine!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1830617/
You know, as many times as I have pointed others to IMDB, I don't know why I didn't think to look the show up there myself last night. I guess that's what happens when you're posting and not entirely sober. Ha, ha. Thanks for looking it up for me. I'll probably watch it today.

We are still counting Halloween-themed shows, right? I know we have in the past. Well, I guess we are since people are counting Charlie Brown Halloween.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
If I knew then what I know now about Amusement I might have abandoned my subset participation. Worst villian ever. I am being unrealistically harsh but it wasn't pretty.
Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, just watched Amusement and got none out of it. Quite the stinker.
Uh oh. Just started it.

Last edited by clckworang; 10-29-11 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Fixed a really dumb mistake
Old 10-29-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Today's theme is watch whatever, right?
Old 10-29-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Edit: Nonsensical Ramblings
Old 10-29-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in honor of getting snowed in im gonna watch jack frost 1/2 and frozen
Old 10-29-11, 12:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Edit: Nonsensical Ramblings
I was going to make a joke about not understanding the connection but you edited too fast.
Old 10-29-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

At present my list stands at an impressive...three. I'm thinking about counting Batman Begins as a wildcard, given that all the content with Scarecrow. I meant to watch more this past week, but got caught up with the World Series instead. Gonna try to hit some Universal Monsters tonight and tomorrow.

I have a question about the bonus item on the checklist about reading something horror-related. I actually wrote and e-published a short story about a paranormal romance. It's not horror in tone, but given that it does involve a guy who kills himself and comes back as a ghost to romance his widow, I thought maybe it might satisfy the checklist? (Failing that, I re-read the Batman: Haunted Knight collected edition of all three Legends of the Dark Knight Halloween Specials.)
Old 10-29-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Congrats to all those joining the century club and knocking out the checklist.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
All I gotta say is that the next 2½ days are gonna be insane. It's gonna be a mad-dash down the stretch of movie-viewing madness!

On the last cult/exploitation challenge, I was able to get 13 movies within 24 hours. Now I'm about to try the endurance test for 48 hours....All for the love of horror!!!

Oh, and it looks like I'll finally be able to complete my (First-ever) checklist attempt this weekend------Even though it took only 29 days and over 180 movies
Haven't quite decided just how nuts I'll go.

But with 12 checklist items left unchecked it's gonna be down to the wire. It keeps conflicting with my FTV intentions and avoiding shitty films. Damn you 'Attack of'!

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
So far my two favorite viewings this month have been subset films with Burn, Witch, Burn and Santa Sangre.
Two of my favorites.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Well isn't that just too cool! I've never noticed that is a link. Thanks for the tip!
Ditto. Although knowing that just a couple years earlier would have saved ripping out a few hairs.

Originally Posted by clckworang
We are still counting Halloween-themed shows, right? I know we have in the past. Well, I guess we are since people are counting Charlie Brown Christmas
Oh yeah. Otherwise I wouldn't have caught "Witch's Night Out" and have yet another song stuck forever in my head.

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Well, the intention is to have a "marathon" (ie at least two films). But yeah, as long as you watch something it's fine.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I have a question about the bonus item on the checklist about reading something horror-related. I actually wrote and e-published a short story about a paranormal romance. It's not horror in tone, but given that it does involve a guy who kills himself and comes back as a ghost to romance his widow, I thought maybe it might satisfy the checklist? (Failing that, I re-read the Batman: Haunted Knight collected edition of all three Legends of the Dark Knight Halloween Specials.)
Sure.
Old 10-29-11, 12:57 PM

We are still counting Halloween-themed shows, right? I know we have in the past. Well, I guess we are since people are counting Charlie Brown Christmas.
That's a stretch.
Yes, but it sort of implies that it has to be after bedtime. I'm staying up late to be safe.
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
At present my list stands at an impressive...three. I'm thinking about counting Batman Begins as a wildcard, given that all the content with Scarecrow. I meant to watch more this past week, but got caught up with the World Series instead. Gonna try to hit some Universal Monsters tonight and tomorrow.

Very appropriate wildcard imho. I'd vote definitely yes on your story. And thanks for the reminder that comics count for the bonus item. I forgot to read Chad's The Thing novella when he posted it a thread or three ago, but I always pull out a scary graphic novel or three this time of year.
Old 10-29-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We are still counting Halloween-themed shows, right? I know we have in the past. Well, I guess we are since people are counting Charlie Brown Christmas.
I am sure we are but I think they count as a TV entry or short (assuming, of course they are under the 40min stipulation unlike, say, Mad Monster Party). Of course, I'm of the mentality that shows like X-Files and Melinnium should count, some people have done so, though it's a thin line I suppose. Just my two though I totally understands the opponents of that stance as well. Either way, I've always counted documentaries shown on PBS, History and A&E as entries and no pitchforks have come a'callin'.

That said, I recall one year The Great Pumpkin was considered an all around freebie and not a WILD CARD. Unsure if that's still so.

Perhaps we can get a Great Pumpkin ruling, Chad?

Personlly, I enjoyed the idea of this being a freebie for everybody (like the middle of a BINGO card) as, let's face it, this classic should be MANDATORY!

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 10-29-11 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-29-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For my marathon, I'm going to try and do the Basket Case trilogy, Amusement, and start Never Sleep Again. Of course, depending on when kids are around, Basket Case stuff may change.
Old 10-29-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad
But with 12 checklist items left unchecked it's gonna be down to the wire. It keeps conflicting with my FTV intentions and avoiding shitty films. Damn you 'Attack of'!
My problem this year too but I didn't go out of my way to avoid shitty films (just tried to add alcohol to the mix whenever possible).

For "Attack of" how about The Killer Shrews aka Attack Of The Killer Shrews? Although it is a film that falls inline with my previous statement. There is also a MST3K version of it.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
For my marathon, I'm going to try and do the Basket Case trilogy, Amusement, and start Never Sleep Again. Of course, depending on when kids are around, Basket Case stuff may change.
Kids would prob enjoy BC2/3
Old 10-29-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Anyone have a suggestion for a G rated movie?
Old 10-29-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Most of the Scooby-doo flicks of the late 70s/early 80s are good.
Old 10-29-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Daffy Duck's Quackbusters
Old 10-29-11, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So no one else liked "Amusement"?
Old 10-29-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Haven't quite decided just how nuts I'll go.

Yep, the titles are killers.

Originally Posted by Trevor
That's a stretch.
I'm usually much better about those kinds of things, but I had a friend just come over and I was trying to post quick. Obviously I posted a little *too* quick. Ha, ha.
Old 10-29-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the intention is to have a "marathon" (ie at least two films). But yeah, as long as you watch something it's fine.
Gotchya. No problem, time to knock out Halloween 5 so I can finally watch the "Producer's cut" of 6.
Old 10-29-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

IMDB Advance search on Film/Horror/G

I'd go with almost any of these, although War of the Worlds would probably be my first choice (re-rated G in 1977). It also won an Oscar for Best Effects, Special Effects so it's another checklist item. I watched The Green Slime for the first time with this challenge. It's good cheesy 60's sci-fi/horror fun. For more horror and less sci-fi there's The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Devil Rides Out, Dracula has Risen from the Grave and others. Plus a few of the Godzilla franchise films.
Old 10-29-11, 02:07 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
That said, I recall one year The Great Pumpkin was considered an all around freebie and not a WILD CARD. Unsure if that's still so.

Perhaps we can get a Great Pumpkin ruling, Chad?
As I recall:
When the Challenge first started, The Great Pumpkin was considered a universal favorite and Chad named it an automatic entry. From this emerged much discussion and the evolution of the Wildcards because people asked to count other shorter fare and TV episodes. It's hard to fathom someone not recognizing the superlative brilliance that is Linus in the Pumpkin Patch, but it happens.

Anyway, I was happy to see through no planning or design, that it ended up my 100th entry for this year's Challenge!
Old 10-29-11, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
So no one else liked "Amusement"?
How did I know that you'd be one of it's defenders?
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
This gets asked and linkified every page or so of every Challenge. We should build all these handy IMDB and wiki links into all the entries and make them part of everyone's checklist formatting from now on.

Edit to add: And by 'we', I mean Chad. Just kidding. I'll be glad to linkify every possible item next year for you Chad.
Originally Posted by Shack
As I recall:
When the Challenge first started, The Great Pumpkin was considered a universal favorite and Chad named it an automatic entry. From this emerged much discussion and the evolution of the Wildcards because people asked to count other shorter fare and TV episodes. It's hard to fathom someone not recognizing the superlative brilliance that is Linus in the Pumpkin Patch, but it happens.

Anyway, I was happy to see through no planning or design, that it ended up my 100th entry for this year's Challenge!
Agreed, and a serendipitous coincidence! I still need to watch it this year.
Old 10-29-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gotchya. No problem, time to knock out Halloween 5 so I can finally watch the "Producer's cut" of 6.
Producer's cut, you say?
Never heard of it. Has it been released officially or just something online?
Old 10-29-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shack
As I recall:

Ah, always wondered how the Wild Cards got tossed into the mix. Interesting that Charlie Brown kicked it off (unlike a football )

It was #1 for me this year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.