DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Possible rare (and OOP) DVD question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-11, 07:59 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible rare (and OOP) DVD question.

Ahoy,
First, can I have an avatar on this forum? I couldn't find the options in my profile.

Now, onto the main post.
It's pretty simple (I think).
I have a box set that is out of print (I googled it and none of the websites were selling anymore, they all said "discontinued").
It's this: (Oops, can't post links.)
"The John Wayne Western Collection".
If you search that exact title on Amazon.com, under Movies + TV, it's the second item listed (the one from 2007, not the cheap budget one from 09).

My copy is in good condition. The discs are all great, as are the mini cases they come in. The only downside is there is a little looseness to the somewhat flimsy cardboard case.

Weirdly, apparently the same day they released this, they also released another John Wayne collection, the same except for a few more movies, for $27 more dollars. Now they're both out of print, and it's only from 2007.

As you can see, "1 new from 899.99" and "4 used from "199.99". I've also found one on eBay, but it's one of the same used copies that's on Amazon (only the seller, raredvdgeeks, is charging $300 on eBay).

So my question is:
1. Since I can find NOTHING on this set online, except for the Amazon reviews and copies (there being 18 reviews, the most recent being from 9 months ago), I'm guess that there might not really be a market for this. Other wise, wouldn't some rare DVD site have written about it or something?

2. If someone wanted it, would it actually be worth in the hundreds of dollar range?

3. When it comes to DVD's, does their value go down if it's the Canadian version? IE, it says, before the english title on the spine "La Collection" and on the reverse of it, has the movies listed in French.

Thank you for your time. I'm very new at this, and can't dig up any info on this set online.
Old 10-15-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Possible rare (and OOP) DVD question.

Word of advice. Try not to put too much stock in Amazon Marketplace prices on stuff. People post insane prices there. If you havent, try searching "Completed Listings" on Ebay for a general guide on what the going price on an item is.
Old 10-15-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gibush
First, can I have an avatar on this forum? I couldn't find the options in my profile.
You have to be a paying member.
Old 10-16-11, 12:52 AM
Cool New Member

Alright, I checked the completed listings. I got 18 results, but none were the right set.

Should I take that as proof that there's no market for this set and that it wouldn't sell anyway?

If so, I don't regret buying it. I paid $10 for it, and for 9 movies, that's never bad.

EDIT: Since I last checked, there's a new listing up for it. It's "Good" condition and it's priced at $258.97. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if anyone buys it. I kind of doubt it though, that's probably much too high.
Old 10-16-11, 03:18 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

You should post it on Amazon and just keep reducing the price over time until it sells. Or you could sell the titles seperately. Price out the values of each approach.
If it is the Canadian version with Billingual art , you should definitely list that when you post it.
I personally don't like Billingual art on american products.
Amazon also often allows you to trade in products for store credit. What are they offering for it? If acceptable consider it.
You can also sell on amazon.ca

Last edited by g; 10-16-11 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-16-11, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are the dvds in the set available separately? If so, how much would it cost to purchase them that way? If it's a lot less than the box set listing price, then no one is going to pay such an exorbitant premium.

Still, you might want to list yours and undercut the other offers by $25 or $50 and see what happens.
Old 10-16-11, 07:11 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Yeah, there are a lot of "rare" DVDs on amazon marketplace going for extremely high prices that would never actually sell.

I'd follow Gerry's advice if I was okay with parting with it, but I wouldn't expect a sale.
Old 10-16-11, 09:51 AM

The issue here is also that we're talking about a John Wayne set. There is nothing inherently special about this set of movies and most all of his films are available in multiple configurations. So, it is very likely that one can purchase the exact same contents of this set by a more economical means, effectively making your set not particularly valuable.

Last edited by mdnitoil; 10-16-11 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-16-11, 12:39 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, there are a lot of "rare" DVDs on amazon marketplace going for extremely high prices that would never actually sell.

I'd follow Gerry's advice if I was okay with parting with it, but I wouldn't expect a sale.
One seller had a VHS Copy of Animalolympics and they wanted $999.98 for it!

(Last month I got myself a copy of this Movie from a Garage Sale for a Wallet BUSTING
:: 25 Cents!!!) ::
Old 10-16-11, 01:21 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah, you guys are right. A few of them are collectors editions, but I'm certain those are available separately. These are some of John Wayne's most well known movies, too: Shootist, Liberty Valance, etc. There is one called "McLintock!", and it says on the DVD:

"The John Wayne Collection. McLintock! Authentic Collector's Edition. From Original Film Elements. From John Wayne's Batjac Productions, INc. ONLY ON THIS DVD (with stars and everything), Special Features and Over 2 1/2 Hours of Exclusive Commentaries".

However, when it says "Only on this DVD", "this" DVD might be sold separately too, I do not know.

Can a single person even list something on Amazon Marketplace, or do you have to be a business?

EDIT: Yeah, Amazon.com sells McLintocck! for $11 separately.

I might list it, but if not, I'm kinda glad to have the movies anyway, especially for $10.

Thanks everybody.
Old 10-16-11, 01:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Can a single person even list something on Amazon Marketplace, or do you have to be a business?
No, it's mostly regular people just like you and me.
Old 10-16-11, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Regulus
One seller had a VHS Copy of Animalolympics and they wanted $999.98 for it!

(Last month I got myself a copy of this Movie from a Garage Sale for a Wallet BUSTING
:: 25 Cents!!!) ::
There are shows on television about people who did this. "I got this signed Rembrandt print at a yard sale for $3! She wanted $5, but I talked her down."
Old 10-16-11, 08:21 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
There are shows on television about people who did this. "I got this signed Rembrandt print at a yard sale for $3! She wanted $5, but I talked her down."
Just to let you know, the Cheapest Copy of Animalolympics listed is $23.42, which means I still got this one for a heck of a Bargain. I wonder why the one is listed for nearly a Kilobuck, as it is a USED Copy.
Old 10-17-11, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Right, why would someone pay hundreds of dollars to own an exclusive cardboard box? You can pick up the individual movies for like 5 bucks a piece now.

The set will only become valuable if the individual movies go OOP and are very hard to find.
Old 10-17-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Not sure what's in the OP's set but a lot of the Paramount John Wayne titles have been OOP for some time. A few months ago El Dorado, Hatari and Donovan's Reef were going for $25-30 each used.
Old 10-17-11, 11:25 PM
Cool New Member

It does have Eldorado but none of the others.
It's basically a cardboard box with five of those slim cases in it, with 4 of them having two discs in it. So it's Sons of Katie Elder/Eldorado in one case, The Shootist/The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance in the second, True Grit/Rio Lobo, Big Jake/Hondo and then the last is a single disc, featuring McLintock! on it's own.

Anyway, these are some of his most popular I believe, so they probably won't be going out of print any time soon.
Old 10-18-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

For everyone's benefit, here's the link to the Amazon listing:
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Collec...dp/B000O179GS/

The "McLintock! (Authentic Collector's Edition)" is notable because this film fell into Public Domain, which means there's a lot of cheap copies of it out there, but often of incomplete cuts of the film and poor transfers. So this edition is the first "official" DVD with the full cut and a new transfer. But as Gibrush pointed out himself, it's available separately:
http://www.amazon.com/McLintock-Auth...dp/B000ANVPPQ/

This box set originally went for $70:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/50...5-22-help.html
Old 10-20-11, 07:49 PM
Cool New Member

Do you think anyone would pay $70 on ebay or Amazon or something?
Old 10-21-11, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's possible. I would think it's more reasonable to expect maybe $10 a disc, for $50 total, for a used copy.

If you don't need the money right away, you could place it on Amazon for $70, then drop the price later if it hasn't sold. Considering the next lowest price on Amazon is $200, someone might consider $70 a deal.

On eBay, it'd be better to have a low starting price, then let users bid it up. You could make more than $70, or significantly less, but it'd likely be sold by the end of the auction.
Old 10-21-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Start high, then once a week lower the price a few bucks. Go with Amazon over e-bay to avoid upfront listing fees.
Old 10-22-11, 10:00 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's possible. I would think it's more reasonable to expect maybe $10 a disc, for $50 total, for a used copy.

If you don't need the money right away, you could place it on Amazon for $70, then drop the price later if it hasn't sold. Considering the next lowest price on Amazon is $200, someone might consider $70 a deal.

On eBay, it'd be better to have a low starting price, then let users bid it up. You could make more than $70, or significantly less, but it'd likely be sold by the end of the auction.
Um. There are 9 discs, though. Each movie has it's own. It's just that there are two disc per snappy case thing. Except for McLintock! which has it's own ...snappy case thing. Slim-case or whatever it's called.
Old 10-23-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Um. There are 9 discs, though.
My bad. Start with a $90 asking price then, if you want.
Old 10-23-11, 11:09 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for all your advice. I'll stop bumping this thread up after this post.