Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-11, 12:08 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I managed to download three "not yet on dvd" slasher movies yesterday to watch in the coming days since the slasher day got me in the mood for them!

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen them or heard anything good/bad about them...Hospital Massacre '83, To All a Good Night '80, and Mortuary '83.

I have seen Hospital Massacre about 15 years ago when I rented it and remember liking it (I was 10 though), I know nothing about To All a Good Night, and all I know about Mortuary is that it has a cool looking poster. Any opinions would be appreciated!!
Old 10-21-11, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Thirst (1979) is one if the best movies I've seen all month. In some ways similar to Martin in that it's a modern take on vampire mythos. There are a lot of over the top, darkly comical but also depraved, twists as a modern day vampire cult kidnaps the descendent of Bathory and attempts desperately to awaken her bloodlust. Much if the violence is presented with such a passive clinical outlook (almost medical horror) it's jarring; which to my taste is very creepy. This one would also fit the psychological horror theme day.
Old 10-21-11, 01:42 AM

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by JHCA13
I managed to download three "not yet on dvd" slasher movies yesterday to watch in the coming days since the slasher day got me in the mood for them!

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen them or heard anything good/bad about them...Hospital Massacre '83, To All a Good Night '80, and Mortuary '83.

I have seen Hospital Massacre about 15 years ago when I rented it and remember liking it (I was 10 though), I know nothing about To All a Good Night, and all I know about Mortuary is that it has a cool looking poster. Any opinions would be appreciated!!
I watched Hospital Massacre a couple of years ago. Here's what I thought (and wrote) about it:

Barbi Benton and her incredibly puffy nipples go to pick up some routine test results from the hospital, but things rapidly go awry due to a mysterious hospital worker who kills to keep her there. If you look up the word “tedium” in the dictionary, what you find will describe the first half of this movie perfectly. About midway through, however, it kicks into gear and we’re treated to a kill scene about every three minutes. This still doesn’t make it a good movie by any means, but at least it’s a bit more interesting on the downhill side of its running time. Awful in every imaginable way, with special raspberries going to the musical score, which seems to have been written for a demonically-themed movie, not a slasher film.
Old 10-21-11, 01:44 AM

Going to make my first theatrical horror viewing for this month tomorrow at a screening of Zombie in Dallas. It just so happened to fall on the weekend that I'd be down there. I'm very excited to see one of my favorite zombie movies on the big screen!
Old 10-21-11, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Farley
For a 90's film you may not have seen, I'd recommend Jack Be Nimble. An overlooked gem if you ask me. You could also go with The Rapture, which I consider a masterpiece and would fit in with tomorrow's theme. Not really considered a horror film, but it's quite unsettling.
Haven't seen Jack Be Nimble. Another one to add to the list.
Old 10-21-11, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
71 films into this thing for me, and I still haven't watched a film from the '90s. I usually don't pay attention too much to dates, but because of the checklist, I'm very aware that somehow I haven't managed to select a film from that decade yet. I guess i's true that the '90s were not a good time for horror.
Yeah, it kind of sucked. Sure there were good movies. But it was a downtime overall for horror. The 80's horror craze had played itself out - a lot of crappy sequels and awful DTV movies. The Asian horror boom started at the end of the decade. Blair Witch was in 1999, which opened the doors to a lot of indie horror. And the early 00's saw a return to grindhouse-style horror and zombie movies.

Out of curiosity, I tallied up my movies from the last 2 challenges by decade. I made no effort to watch movies from any time period - I just watched what I wanted to watch. My breakdown: 20's - 1; 30's - 4; 40's - 12; 50's - 18; 60's - 36; 70's - 45; 80's - 20; 90's - 3; 00's - 49; 10's - 9
Old 10-21-11, 04:24 AM

Actually, I love the first two Scream movies. I was a '90s teen, too. I'm planning on Dead Alive for the splatter/gore theme day. My friends keep wanting to watch Army of Darkness (I did buy the Blu-ray), but it's the least favorite of the trilogy, though I still like it. For whatever reason, I just haven't been in the mood for it.

I'm usually an apologist for any decade. My standard response (and this pertains to music, too) is that there are always good things, you just have find it. Like I said before, I tend to be date blind, which made me even more surprised that I hadn't watched a film from the '90s. Hell, none of the daily films that were selected are even from the '90s.

My female friends have been pushing hard to watch The Craft this month. I've always meant to watch Stir of Echoes. I need to add that to my Netflix queue.
That's cool. I'm just so used to people hating "Scream" that I try not to talk about it so as to avoid a fight. I'll probably always like it. I pop it in and feel like I'm 16 again. I wasn't a huge fan of "Army of Darkness" either. Actually, I loved "Evil Dead" so much that even "Evil Dead II" pissed me off, because I considered it to be poking fun at what I thought was so scary from the original movie, but over the years "Evil Dead II" and "Army of Darkness" have grown on me, I guess.
Old 10-21-11, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I think Grave Encounters is one of my new favorites. I really liked it quite a bit.
Old 10-21-11, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I take it you haven't seen Fear and Desire then? Killer's Kiss is no masterpiece either.
Both of those efforts (only Killer's Kiss being official) actually are masterpieces in my eyes, though maybe more on a learning, experimental side. He was a photographer first, and that's what initially drew me to his work, and that's what I see in both of those. My statement was meant to be more exagerrated, though, considering the context.

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I agree.
Spoiler:
I totally viewed the ending that way. While I wasn't a huge fan of the ending, I meant as a whole (there really is a demon baby, the church is a cult, we're going to kill you when you come back to try and stop us). I can think of a million endings I'd like better than that tired cliche that I saw coming a mile away. I was rooting for the girl to be evil and for her to kill everyone herself when they came back to the house to find her in the end. But of the parts I did like about the ending, seeing him walk toward the fire with his cross held up was a GREAT image for me. It reminded me of the book of Daniel in the bible where the three Hebrew children are going to be thrown in the fiery furnace and they tell the King "Our god is able to save us, and he WILL save us, but even if he does not, we still won't worship you." Back when I heard that story in Sunday school as a kid they always left out the "even if he does not" part and just told us "they had faith, then God saved the day! Yay god is like a genie! Rub the lamp and poof! You're saved!" As I get older, I can appreciate a lot more the strength it takes to have faith even if you DON'T get saved from the fiery furnace, and that's the feeling I get seeing that guy walk bravely toward the fire. He's probably going to get burned up, but that's not the POINT, the point is he finally has the faith to really TRY. I definitely thought that was powerful.
Wow, thanks for that opinion! Brought even more meaning to what I saw.

Oh, and I love Scream as well!
Old 10-21-11, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Interesting. I found the ending very moving, and to me, far from easy or weak.

Spoiler:
As the purpose of the ending is, does God accept Cotton's return to faith? Or will God just decide it's just too late for Cotton to repent, letting him burn in the demon fire?

Hope I am using these right. When I say easy I mean:

Spoiler:
how they ended the "found footage" device. Running through woods, final kill. It was so typical it was just zzz for me--at that point I was just WAITING for it.

But I very much liked how they stopped to talk to the boy at the restaurant and go back--this movie kept me wondering constantly if it was a comment on faith or religion or plain ol incesty-hicks or an actual demon movie, or both, or all. And in the end...I'm still not sure. Even after the exorcist saw her break her fingers and bend over backwards...he still thinks she is just a disturbed girl right? Because of the "blowing job" comment?

If that's the case the only other really supernatural thing was the fire growing huge at the end I think. And maybe there is an explanation for that...so is this human evil or supernatural evil?

Also what I liked: and why I think he obviously has true faith at the end, is how they mention early on about how if you believe in god you have to believe in demons. Well, the exorcist, I think, finally really finds his faith again because of the reverse: He believes in demons, so now he must believe in god. And I agree the shot of him walking in with the cross is a very striking one.

Old 10-21-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Hope I am using these right. When I say easy I mean:

Spoiler:
how they ended the "found footage" device. Running through woods, final kill. It was so typical it was just zzz for me--at that point I was just WAITING for it.

But I very much liked how they stopped to talk to the boy at the restaurant and go back--this movie kept me wondering constantly if it was a comment on faith or religion or plain ol incesty-hicks or an actual demon movie, or both, or all. And in the end...I'm still not sure. Even after the exorcist saw her break her fingers and bend over backwards...he still thinks she is just a disturbed girl right? Because of the "blowing job" comment?

If that's the case the only other really supernatural thing was the fire growing huge at the end I think. And maybe there is an explanation for that...so is this human evil or supernatural evil?

Also what I liked: and why I think he obviously has true faith at the end, is how they mention early on about how if you believe in god you have to believe in demons. Well, the exorcist, I think, finally really finds his faith again because of the reverse: He believes in demons, so now he must believe in god. And I agree the shot of him walking in with the cross is a very striking one.

Oh, yeah, I totally agree with the easy comment now.
Spoiler:
I guess I forgot about that last minute or two. And I had a hard time with the details you point out about the girl. It seemed like they wanted to try and trick the audience a bit there, or maybe Cotton wanted so hard to believe it wasn't a real exorcism, he was blinded by his own perception of the truth. And good point about believing in demons means he must believe in god. I like how the deaths were foretold by the girl with the painting. And I beleive it was a real supernatural event (in the confines of the film), as that was one ugly baby/fetus!

And you're using the spoiler tags correctly.
Old 10-21-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JHCA13
all I know about Mortuary is that it has a cool looking poster.
Unfortunately, the poster is the best thing about it, though it is fun to watch a young (and terrible) Bill Paxton act "crazy".
Old 10-21-11, 08:27 AM
Banned

I'm hoping to watch five "random" movies today. Gonna have some company over tomorrow for my annual Chucky marathon. Unfortunately, I learned recently that my copy of Seed of Chucky is cracked so I have to find a new one between now and then. [I'm not a fan of this sequel, but as a completest I feel I have to own all the parts of a series]
Old 10-21-11, 08:48 AM

Haven't seen Jack Be Nimble. Another one to add to the list.
Cool! Unfortunately, I just realized Netflix no longer carries it. Sorta' felt bad recommending something not readily available, so I was going to suggest another under the radar fave, Kolobos, but they don't carry that one either. I'll just throw out two that are streaming, Panga and Lisa. Neither will blow you away, but I think they're quite enjoyable.

As for today's theme, I think I'm going to revisit my 2009 subset pick, End of the Line. Such a perfect fit, I'm surprised it took me this long to think of it.
Old 10-21-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't seem to find it, but I remember someone posting the link to a movie that takes place in a shopping mall? I'm in the mood for mall-themed horror today, but am having a hard time finding titles. Any suggestions?
Old 10-21-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't seem to find it, but I remember someone posting the link to a movie that takes place in a shopping mall? I'm in the mood for mall-themed horror today, but am having a hard time finding titles. Any suggestions?
the last half of THE INITIATION takes place in a department store/mall type thing - also there's THE PHANTOM OF THE MALL: ERIC'S REVENGE
Old 10-21-11, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

There's also Chopping Mall.
Old 10-21-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool, thanks, I'll look those up. Chopping Mall was the only one I could find with searches.
Old 10-21-11, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have probably gone as far as I will get to because of the Panamerican games. been watching those events non-stop. I'll try to squeeze one or two in before the end of the months. I think at at 20 right now.
Old 10-21-11, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both Dawn of the Dead movies.
Old 10-21-11, 09:56 AM
Banned

I guess I wasn't meant to watch The Shining (1980) this year... The DVD wouldn't play last night, it kept freezing/skipping even though there weren't any visible scratches on the disc. So I dug out my old VHS copy, only to find out the tape is ruined. I'll be picking up a new DVD copy of this title, but I don't think it'll be today.

Instead, I decided to finally check out the Phantoms (1998) / The Faculty (1998) double feature.
Old 10-21-11, 10:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Today's subset film, Night of the Comet, has a fair amount of mall action.
Originally Posted by brainee
Out of curiosity, I tallied up my movies from the last 2 challenges by decade. I made no effort to watch movies from any time period - I just watched what I wanted to watch. My breakdown: 20's - 1; 30's - 4; 40's - 12; 50's - 18; 60's - 36; 70's - 45; 80's - 20; 90's - 3; 00's - 49; 10's - 9
Curse you; now I'll have to do a decade tally as well.
Old 10-21-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I woke up early this morning and managed to get in just more than an hour of Day of the Dead. I should be able to finish it up during my lunch break to fulfill today's theme. That will leave me completely free when I get home after work to watch whatever I want.

I'm extra excited because my friend is coming in from out of town tonight. She loved Quarantine and said it scared the shit out of her, so I'm looking forward to introducing her to REC. And then if all goes according to plan, it will be the Motel Hell/Death Bed double feature that she requested for tomorrow tonight. I'm excited about that, but we have a mutual friend who's trying to convince us to go to a Halloween party that night. I don't think it's going to happen, though. My friend is coming down essentially just for these movie nights. Fingers crossed anyway.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Curse you; now I'll have to do a decade tally as well.
I'm doing one myself at the end of this. That's why I've been putting the years on my titles. I decided to do it when I noticed the absence of '90s films from my list. I might even go back and tally up my previous years. It's not something I usually pay attention to, so I think it might be interesting to see my viewing patterns.

Originally Posted by J. Farley
Cool! Unfortunately, I just realized Netflix no longer carries it. Sorta' felt bad recommending something not readily available, so I was going to suggest another under the radar fave, Kolobos, but they don't carry that one either. I'll just throw out two that are streaming, Panga and Lisa. Neither will blow you away, but I think they're quite enjoyable.
No worries. I'll look into those as well.
Old 10-21-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh, yeah, I totally agree with the easy comment now.
Spoiler:
I guess I forgot about that last minute or two. And I had a hard time with the details you point out about the girl. It seemed like they wanted to try and trick the audience a bit there, or maybe Cotton wanted so hard to believe it wasn't a real exorcism, he was blinded by his own perception of the truth. And good point about believing in demons means he must believe in god. I like how the deaths were foretold by the girl with the painting. And I beleive it was a real supernatural event (in the confines of the film), as that was one ugly baby/fetus!

And you're using the spoiler tags correctly.
Good point on that:
Spoiler:

I streamed the end again real quick and though it looks likes shite on my monitor the sfx they use for the squeal is very otherworldly. Then the fire getting HUGE too seems to certainly say yes, this was a for real deal supernatural thing.

To be honest I had forgotten the painting angle too!

Very glad I watched this...had skipped it many times simply because it was "only PG13". Gotta stop letting that restrict me.
Old 10-21-11, 11:32 AM
Banned

Just watched Phantoms (1998) for the first time - a great choice if anyone's looking for something to watch for today's "End of the World" theme.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.