Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 10-14-11, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by dcrw6
Had a day full of running around so I only got a whopping one movie in today. But at least it was for the daily theme. I had to rely on The Asylum's Paranormal Entity since my wife and I had already watched the other ones. I've got some more running around to do tomorrow so it looks like my numbers are really going to take a hit. I was looking forward to potentially finishing in the top five for the first and probably only time, but what are you gonna do?

And you count another one as liking the ending to The Last Exorcism. I know it gets crapped on a lot, but we really liked it. I think it showed just enough before any sort of terror would be wiped away completely.
Did you like "Paranormal entity"? I actually thought it wasn't bad.

I also liked "The Last Exorcism." My problem with the ending was that as I was watching the movie, I made up several potential endings in my head, and everything I came up with was better than what they did, but I don't think the ending was as bad as everyone said it was, and the rest of the movie creeped me out, so I enjoyed it.
Old 10-14-11, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

The Last Exorcism was extremely creepy, and I was amazed at the talent of the actress playing the possessed girl. The only problem with it is that the ending was telegraphed a mile away.
Old 10-14-11, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Also saw From Dusk Till Dawn today. Forgot how great that movie is. One thing i could never figure out about the end with Seth Gekko
Spoiler:
Where was Seth going to at the end in the car? He refuses to bring Juliette Lewis character with and my guess is that he was headed to hell.
Regarding From Dusk Till Dan ending; you might get better discussion in the subset movie discussion thread in DVD Talk Reviews and Recommendations subforum. I replied there.
Old 10-14-11, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xWWATh905tk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

has this been posted yet? if so then sorry.

not sure what i'll be watching tonight if anything...need to go out and drink some beers with friends. watched DEEP RED last night and i hadn't seen it in around 3 years. was refreshing to see it on blu-ray

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 10-14-11 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-14-11, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a double-bill of rarities on tap for tomorrow:

Old 10-14-11, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just enjoyed The Others, for theme night. I think it's such a good movie, on all possible levels. I enjoy it every time I revisit it.
Old 10-14-11, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Planning on doing a 4 different movies revolving around today's theme, ranging from the 70's to the 2000's. Start with The Amityville Horror, move onto Hellraiser, do Wishmaster for the 90s, and finish with my copy of Final Destination 3.
Old 10-14-11, 10:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
BTW, The Tunnel (2011) is available for free via VODO, which is a 100% legal torrent. It's even listed on the official site:
http://www.thetunnelmovie.net/seeit

Fits today's theme.
Thanks. Wasn't great, and didn't take my mind off of demon possession and allow me to sleep, but it was decent enough and helped me end the night with a decent theme fit.
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
True, but watching a MST3K type item seems to be in almost every checklist/challenge. Maybe a cadre of rotating stuff so items like this are not there every year/every checklist. After all, once you've "broadened your horizons" and found you don't like something it's very difficult to force yourself to do so again because of the need/desire/compulsion/obsession to complete the checklist.
True, but remember that not everyone does every Challenge. Many only do this one. I understand the desire to mix things up and not have to watch a certain genre/actor/whatever EVERY year, especially if you dislike it. But to me at least, the purposes of the checklist include being difficult to complete, and being extremely thorough (including every decade, every major genre, every rating, etc). It's all up to the individual Challenge hosts of course, and I think Chad is more in line with your thinking.
That brings up the question of using a wild-card. Would *any* horror film work as a wild-card on either the MST3K or Horror Host checklist items? If so, that makes it much easier to avoid sub-genres you know you do not like.
I don't think wildcards work that way. They're for things that shouldn't fully count as a list entry, not for use on the checklist in any way. IIRC.
Originally Posted by Undeadcow
If anyone was wondering [Rec] 2 is an intense and worthwhile followup to the original that takes the film in an interesting direction that expands on the evEnts in a fresh/fun manner. Huge recommendation.
Seconded. One of the best sequels I've seen.
I just finished Cloverfield for "Found Footage". I almost gave up on it the first 20-25 minutes - how did anyone sit through that drivel in the theater? It was simply horrible. Do people actually make home videos like that? If so, why would anyone want to watch them? More importantly, why would anyone think it would make a "good" introduction to characters for a feature film, especially at that length? Once they actually got into the meat of the film it was pretty good and then... 10+ minutes of *credits* on a film that only runs 84 minutes?!?!! Take away the open studio banner, fake Defense Dept. warnings, the lame as crap party/intro segment, and the overly long credits and you're left with a fairly decent little ~53 minute made-for-TV length show. The creatures were fairly good but very reminiscent of the Graboids in Tremors crossed with a cave cricket. I'd have like to have seen more of the large creature and how the military dealt with it. Basically, remake it *not* as a "found footage" film but as a true "creature feature" and you might have something. I'd give it a better score if it were a truly feature length film without the awful "setup" segment as it failed in its attempt to make me care about the characters.
I agree that the setup was awful, but the overall film entertaining. Unfortunately, the Asylum mock of it, Monster, took the same overly long and painful to watch setup. Then it followed that up with being utterly horrible in every other aspect as well.
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
And Trev, you got me really wanting to watch The Last Exorcism.
Originally Posted by Giles
same here.
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Trevor...like others, you have convinced me to watch The Last Exorcism sometime this weekend. I saw it pop up on the streaming list and I will definitely check it out now. I'm not religious but for some reason, exorcist movies creep me out as well. The last one I saw, The Exorcism Of Emily Rose, creeped the shit out of me...and I loved it.
I hope I didn't steer any of you wrong. I wasn't recommending it or saying it was a good movie necessarily, just that it scared the bejesus out of me.
Also glad to see I am not the only one that hears noises in the night after a scary movie. I was going to watch The Changeling (1980) tonight but changed my mind since it would be the last film for tonight and I didn't want to hear noises keeping me awake until 2am. That movie scared the piss out of me and the first time I saw it was just a couple of years ago. Not a nostalgia thing at all.
Yeah, It doesn't happen with every scary movie, but I can turn into a little kid at times, sleeping with the covers over my head and scared to open my eyes. Last night, every sound freaked me out, every thunderclap made me fear the power would go out. No nightmares, but shortly after waking this morning I envisioned that girl standing in my hallway again.
Also nice to see a few people speak ill about Mystery Science Theater 3000. I thought I was the only person that found their comments to be completely and utterly void of humor. They are akin to a 5th string comedian giving a play-by-play of a bad movie...and they think they are hilarious. Ugh.
I'll still like you all, even though several of you hate my favorite thing.
Originally Posted by J. Farley
Internet problems have kept me offline for the past two days, but it's certainly nice to come back and read this. I first watched Sauna around 3 AM one cold December morning, and despite having trouble keeping my eyes open before I popped it in, the film really woke me up and kept my attention from beginning to end. Out of all the horror films I've seen over the last few years, it's the one that has festered in my mind the longest.
Good to know. Starting it now.
This film seems to get shit on a lot, at least at some of the boards I've frequented, but my friend (who normally doesn't care for found footage films) and I both loved it. I'm one of the few who thought the ending was a plus instead of a minus as well.
I didn't hate the ending, didn't think it was that original or great either. But I'm glad it was what it was, and not what I imagined, because the ending wasn't scary at all, so I'll be able to stop feeling demonic eyes on me and be able to sleep tonight. What I feared it would be, a full-on possession with evil-looking body deformations and demonic guttural sounds, would have caused much jumpiness and stressful sleep.
Another found footage film that I'd recommend is Lake Mungo, a slow-burning Australian film that creeped me out much more than I expected. One image in particular, seen late in the film, really got to me. It isn't often that I'm sitting there dreading what might pop up on screen next, though maybe I was simply in the right frame of mind at the time.
Thanks, adding to my queue.
Originally Posted by SethDLH
As far as The Last Exorcism goes I thought it was an exceptional movie right up to the very end when it became cliched crap. That type of ending isn't always bad but for a movie drenched so heavily in reality it really just killed the whole thing for me.
I almost agree. I really did enjoy it very much and thought the acting was quite good for the most part. Great tension and storyline. Ending wasn't great, but didn't ruin it for me. Would love to see if they had any alternate endings scripted or planned.
Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I was shocked to feel the same way. I watched two Asylum films back-to-back, apparently feeling the need to punish myself for something. Monster was a total crapfest, but Paranormal Entity was probably as good as the film it was ripping off. Not saying a whole lot I know, but it keep me awake and I never wanted to throw things at the screen or physically kill the producers, like I did with Monster.
I also liked "The Last Exorcism." My problem with the ending was that as I was watching the movie, I made up several potential endings in my head, and everything I came up with was better than what they did, but I don't think the ending was as bad as everyone said it was, and the rest of the movie creeped me out, so I enjoyed it.
Exactly my thoughts.
Originally Posted by Gobear
The Last Exorcism was extremely creepy, and I was amazed at the talent of the actress playing the possessed girl. The only problem with it is that the ending was telegraphed a mile away.
She really did a great job. I'm a little dense when it comes to figuring films out, and didn't see this ending coming at all. Not even slightly.
Old 10-14-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just finished Cloverfield for "Found Footage". I almost gave up on it the first 20-25 minutes - how did anyone sit through that drivel in the theater? It was simply horrible. Do people actually make home videos like that? If so, why would anyone want to watch them? More importantly, why would anyone think it would make a "good" introduction to characters for a feature film, especially at that length? Once they actually got into the meat of the film it was pretty good and then... 10+ minutes of *credits* on a film that only runs 84 minutes?!?!! Take away the open studio banner, fake Defense Dept. warnings, the lame as crap party/intro segment, and the overly long credits and you're left with a fairly decent little ~53 minute made-for-TV length show. The creatures were fairly good but very reminiscent of the Graboids in Tremors crossed with a cave cricket. I'd have like to have seen more of the large creature and how the military dealt with it. Basically, remake it *not* as a "found footage" film but as a true "creature feature" and you might have something. I'd give it a better score if it were a truly feature length film without the awful "setup" segment as it failed in its attempt to make me care about the characters.
I feel the same. I'm not really a fan of the imitations that's come out since Blair Witch and I thought that was awful too. Trollhunter is the only one I like out of any of them

Originally Posted by jmsmath
Just finished The Girl Next Door (2007) and all I can say is I couldn't look away, but I never want to see it again. I was absolutely fascinated by it and completely disgusted at the same time if that makes any sense.
I guess they were going to have a different ending to it that they talk about in the commentary. I don't want to see it again but I'm curious about what the change was.
Old 10-14-11, 10:40 AM

That's a great way of putting it. Up until the last five minutes, the movie had me hook, line, and sinker. It was very creepy and realistic horror movies tend to scare me the most. I liked all the actors, the dialogue felt right, and living in a rural area myself, the setting was on point. I was so ready to love this movie. But then the cheap ending. It just undermines everything that was built up prior to it. It felt wrong.

Not as wrong as The House at the Edge of the Park, though. It had potential, but threw it away with some wacky choices.
Old 10-14-11, 10:50 AM
Banned

Watched F13 (1980) last night. Decent flick, most of it was expected so I wouldn't consider it scary at all.

I have a few friends coming over tonight to watch a couple movies and throw down a few beers, but I have no idea what to show. They all seem to enjoy horror, and I don't want to show anything too tame -- can anyone recommend the scariest movie you've ever seen? Hopefully I own it or can acquire it by 8pm EST tonight.
Old 10-14-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I just pre-ordered The Last Circus. About a clown with a machete in a Circus. Haven't seen it yet but looking forward to it. It's a subtitled Spanish film and the trailer looks pretty good.
Old 10-14-11, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by supermike07
Watched F13 (1980) last night. Decent flick, most of it was expected so I wouldn't consider it scary at all.

I have a few friends coming over tonight to watch a couple movies and throw down a few beers, but I have no idea what to show. They all seem to enjoy horror, and I don't want to show anything too tame -- can anyone recommend the scariest movie you've ever seen? Hopefully I own it or can acquire it by 8pm EST tonight.
lol i went to ur list to see what your into and the goosebumps entries didnt help.

i know when my friends are over that are "into horror" usually means they enjoy going to the theaters and watching whatever mainstream title is showing.

so when those friends come over i tend to watch movies i try and keep to theatrical releases , because it makes them go "ooo yeah i heard of this one" and give the movie more of a chance. (Let Me In, Trick 'R Treat, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, Piranha, Shaun of the dead)

or ill pull out my over the top nonsense that goes good with a 12 pack...Poulteygeist, Hobo with a shotgun, RoboGeisha, Tokyo Gore Police, etc.
Old 10-14-11, 12:01 PM

I actually was surprised that it was better than I thought it'd be. It's still not great thanks to long stretches where I was checking the running time, and the ending was just laughable to me, but there were several effective moments that helped even it out.
Old 10-14-11, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by terrycloth
lol i went to ur list to see what your into and the goosebumps entries didnt help..
I'm not a hardcore horror fan, but there are a few I've seen. The goosebumps titles on this year's list were fillers, when I'm not sure what to watch. I figured I'd start with the kid titles and work my way up to the R- or not rated titles. Not being much of a fan, I haven't seen a whole lot besides the mainstream titles, which is why I'm asking for suggestions - so I can visit my local video store (surprisingly they're still open) and check them out. I don't like blind buying a lot of horror flicks because I tend to only watch them during the month of October and much of the time I don't even get around to them.

As for my guests tonight, they tend to have a wider interest in this genre than I would ever have. Right now, I have a couple in mind THE OTHERS (2001) which is more a thriller than horror, and the re-make of THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE -- which they've never seen
Old 10-14-11, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

While the original is one of my all-time favorite movies, I really don't like the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's just way too slick.

What kind of horror movies do you typically like? Would you like us to brutalize you?

What about Dario Argento? Suspiria would be a good introduction to him.
Old 10-14-11, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by onebyone
Just enjoyed The Others, for theme night. I think it's such a good movie, on all possible levels. I enjoy it every time I revisit it.
I feel the exact same way about it!

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Where did you get this movie from? I've been really wanting it!
Old 10-14-11, 12:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by clckworang
What kind of horror movies do you typically like? Would you like us to brutalize you?
I'm open to anything in all genres really... My problem is I don't have many options to acquire anything but mainstream titles, the local video rental store only carries mainstream stuff and I had a bad experience with Netflix so I'm not re-subscribing for a wider selection of titles. My only option is to buy - and as I said before, I'm cautious about blind buying stuff of this genre since I only watch them one month out of the year.
Old 10-14-11, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm open to anything in all genres really... My problem is I don't have many options to acquire anything but mainstream titles, the local video rental store only carries mainstream stuff and I had a bad experience with Netflix so I'm not re-subscribing for a wider selection of titles. My only option is to buy - and as I said before, I'm cautious about blind buying stuff of this genre since I only watch them one month out of the year.
I actually enjoy the tcm remake and iv actually been watching alot of goosebumps and are you afraid of the dark this month so i wasnt trying to insult ya. based on what you said heres some stuff that popular enough or newer direct to dvd that you should be able to get at most rental stores

Trick 'r Treat - theres some that dont like this title but id say majority that i know love this film. it oozes October and def a must watch if you havent

Let Me In - Its a 2010 HAMMER release thats a remake of let the right one in (which is the better movie, but this doesnt have subtitles for those who dont like foreign language)

Evil Dead - a classic movie and is a great movie to watch with a group. can substitute with evil dead 2 or army of darkness as you dont have to see the original to watch the sequels.

Let Me In - another remake and a bit rougher then most of the other titles listed, but i really enjoyed this movie.

Orphanage - Came out 06 i thing...very creep ghost story if a bit slower then the rest but an awesome addition to the ghost story genre.

Cannibal - great flick! good for the whole family
Old 10-14-11, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Caught Stake Land last night and it's easily one of the better post-apocalyptic vampire / road movies of recent memory. None of that "love never dies" crap here. These were savage animals out for the kill that were really more akin to zombies than vampires. Also surprisingly beautiful cinematography.

And without a doubt the first time I've witnessed a film with

Spoiler:
Christian fanatics dropping live vampires from helicopters.

My only complaint is having the Danielle Harris character 9-months pregnant.

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xWWATh905tk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

has this been posted yet? if so then sorry.
I'm really digging those Sam shorts. They're debuting new ones every so often for their upcoming 24-hour Trick 'r Treat marathon on Halloween.
Old 10-14-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you wanted to try hooking up a PC or drop $100 on something like a Logitech Revue with Google TV, you can get a bunch of streaming action going on. Crackle, Hulu, Archive.org, to name a few.
Old 10-14-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts

You guys are convincing me to rewatch REC and then watch REC2 with all the glowing reviews for the sequel. I loved the first one but probably need to rewatch it since it has been a little while.
Old 10-14-11, 02:06 PM

You guys are convincing me to rewatch REC and then watch REC2 with all the glowing reviews for the sequel. I loved the first one but probably need to rewatch it since it has been a little while.
Good plan. The original flows immediately into the second, so unless you're very familiar with the original I think it would work best to watch them back to back.

Today's subset choice, Sauna, is quite good btw.
Old 10-14-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm gonna try something different and hold the trivia question this Monday. It'll be different from the last in that a) it's much easier with little effort involved and b) randomly drawn. So as long as you answer within 48 hours you'll have a chance of winning.

Any suggestions for the prize?
Old 10-14-11, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chad
And I'm open to any suggestions as to what the prize should be.
The naming (or re-naming) of your firstborn.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.