Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 10-12-11, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

so whats everyones favorite so bad its amazing movie. im decided between death bed and troll 2 out of ones iv watched and well having a blast with them. kinda looking for anymore hidden gems like these to check out.
Old 10-12-11, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by terrycloth
so whats everyones favorite so bad its amazing movie. im decided between death bed and troll 2 out of ones iv watched and well having a blast with them. kinda looking for anymore hidden gems like these to check out.
I'm looking forward to seeing Death Bed again. I have a friend who's going to try to come to town next weekend specifically to see Death Bed outside on my screen. Ha, ha. That will be great.

Have you seen Burial Ground? I watched it in a previous challenge, and it was brilliantly bad. I noticed it's on Blu-ray now, but last time I checked, it was way too expensive. Maybe next challenge. *sigh*
Old 10-12-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
I'm looking forward to seeing Death Bed again. I have a friend who's going to try to come to town next weekend specifically to see Death Bed outside on my screen. Ha, ha. That will be great.

Have you seen Burial Ground? I watched it in a previous challenge, and it was brilliantly bad. I noticed it's on Blu-ray now, but last time I checked, it was way too expensive. Maybe next challenge. *sigh*
i already envious of your set up and knowing someone will be watching death bed on it makes it even worse lol

iv never actually seen burial ground gonna have to find a copy thnx for the reccomendation
Old 10-12-11, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i haven't seen it yet but i have BIRDEMIC on blu-ray and plan to watch it before the month is over. i imagine it's going to be pretty damn bad.
Old 10-12-11, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Doing a Gamera and Godzilla night tonight with Gamera Super Monster and Tokyo SOS, possibly more if I can stay awake for more movies.
Did GAMERA SUPER MONSTER ever come out on DVD? I have a VHS copy taped off b'cast TV some 25 years ago.
Old 10-12-11, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i haven't seen it yet but i have BIRDEMIC on blu-ray and plan to watch it before the month is over. i imagine it's going to be pretty damn bad.
I know people are trying to paint that as a new Troll 2 level of cult film, but it's really just awful to sit through. I laughed a few times, but it lacks the charm that Troll 2 or other "bad" movies have and I found it tedious to finish at times. But I know others have found more enjoyment out of it so hopefully you'll get a bigger kick out of it.
Old 10-12-11, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Check out Mystery Of The Wax Museum... the Price House Of Wax is basically a remake of it
Yeah, I watched MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM on Sunday night. It's on the flip side of a disc with HOUSE OF WAX, which I watched for the Vincent Price Centennial in May, but intend to watch again for this challenge. HOUSE is much better than MYSTERY. They gave it a period setting and cut out that whole confusing bootlegger subplot.

But MYSTERY has its virtues. The gag in HOUSE with Charles Bronson pretending to be a wax head originated in the earlier film. MYSTERY has a lot of pre-code stuff, including brassy blonde reporter Glenda Farrell asking a cop, "How's your sex life?" The cops are pretty brutal on suspects and question a junkie, whom they repeatedly call a "junkie" (drug references would be prohibited by the more stringent code introduced in 1934), at length, hoping he'll go into withdrawal and spill the beans on his boss. Farrell's reporter character is the main heroic protagonist, a sassy, tough broad. The three sympathetic male characters are all kind of ineffectual compared to her.

Fay Wray's pretty hot in this, the same year she made KING KONG. She plays the wax figure of Marie Antoinette in the opening scene.

Also, the 2-color Technicolor is pretty eerie, esp. given Anton Grot's Caligari-esque distorted sets. They're beautiful and one of the main reasons to watch this.
Old 10-12-11, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I watched it for the first time last year, color version that is, and liked it a lot. I thought it was going to be some lame King adaption, or at least I could have sworn everyone saying they thought it sucked.
I watched the color version of THE MIST for the first time this year, I liked it for the most part but didn't like the way it ended.
Spoiler:
I expected him to do something to kill himself after killing everyone else in the truck.
*not much of a spoiler, but didn't want to ruin anything for those who haven't seen it yet*
Old 10-12-11, 12:49 PM

My problem with The Mist's ending was

Spoiler:
the military showing up and making everything okay. I was actually fine with the added suicide ending which would make sense. But the military wiping everything out like it was nothing renders the horrors that had been seen until then pretty much no big deal. If the military sequence hadn't been used, the movie would have ended much more haunting and chilling, rather than almost as a sick punchline. Ignoring that final minute or so, the movie's a modern horror masterpiece to me.

It seems as though taking a day off did me good. I already watched Lugosi's White Zombie and I'm ready to start tearing through some more again. Just needed a breather I suppose.
Old 10-12-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Doomsday=horror?
Old 10-12-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Doomsday=horror?
I don't know about that one. I probably would say no except for during the challenge. I don't think you would get arguments about it.
Old 10-12-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Death Bed and Burial Ground are definitely up there. And Microwave Massacre should get an honorable mention. It stars Jackie Vernon who was the voice of Frosty the Snowman.
Old 10-12-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Oh, I forgot about that one. Good call. It is right up there with the best of them. And by best, of course I mean worst.
Old 10-12-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

Just wanted to drop in and say how much I loved this
I have that too! Might have to watch it for the Challenge now.

This might be the first day where I don't watch anything. I am at work, then I have Classes until 6pm, then I will be a guest co-host on a local radio station. Working on making a CD of local bands of various genres I think people need to hear.

If enough people are interested, I can post the link so you can listen via Internet Stream/Broadcast if you aren't from the area.

It would be from 10pm-Midnight (PST)
Old 10-12-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Earlier I was saying how the Morricone score from The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh was stuck in my head. Well, that's old news. Now it's the song "Pinky Love" from Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fcj83ThYd2E?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fcj83ThYd2E?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Fun flick. And streaming on Netflix.
Old 10-12-11, 01:47 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

For today's theme movie I watched The Langoliers. It's 3 hours long (it was a tv mini-series in 1995) but it kept my interest the whole time. It's streaming on Netflix and is worth watching if you're looking for something new from Stephen King because you have seen most of his movies.
Old 10-12-11, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
Death Bed and Burial Ground are definitely up there. And Microwave Massacre should get an honorable mention. It stars Jackie Vernon who was the voice of Frosty the Snowman.
Ahhh, good 'ole Death Bed. I've not heard of Microwave Massacre. Must find soon.
Old 10-12-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I agree with your comments. Everyone told me I was just being down on the ending when I told everyone I didn't like it, but the more I think about it, the more I don't think it was handled very well at all.

Spoiler:
I don't know if you've read Stephen King's "The Mist," but the original novella ends the way you said the movie should end, with them driving through the mist not knowing if they're going to make it, and that works much much better, I think. It's not just because I'm "down on suicide" as one of my friends said. I would have been fine if they'd gotten out of the car and then he'd shot everyone as they THOUGHT a monster was coming at them. It would have been the same ending, but it would have been much less passive and annoying that way for me. "Hey, let's fight our way through tons or obstacles and then sit passively by while he shoots us in the head even when nothing is attacking us." I don't think it works. Plus that shot at the end showing the woman who left the store early in the movie to "get her children"? That was a cheap, bullshit shot, I thought. They'd already established that no one could even set foot outside the door without getting attacked, but somehow she made it through the mist and got back to safety? The messages seemed to be completely mixed. At first, it was "don't think you can survive, don't be too cocky, stay in the store and be safe or step outside and die because of your overconfidence" and then at the end they were saying "ha ha, you should have left when this woman did! Never mind that we've already established everyone who left like she did died, fuck you everyone who watched this until the end, now lie down so we can spit in your face!" It grates on my nerves. A few years ago, Gobear and I discussed the ending in one of the challenges, and he said he viewed it as the little boy was the sacrifice, and the little boy's death altered the universe so that everyone in the car could have been saved, and if the little boy hadn't died, they would have stayed in the universe where the monsters would have won. That's an interesting perspective, but I honestly don't think the filmmakers were that deep. I think they were going for the shock ending and they failed and insulted our intelligence with that they filmed.

I agree completely with why that portion of the ending really doesn't work at all, and it really frustrates me when thinking about it. I wish the Weinsteins could've convinced him to end the film at the moment I pointed out and you agree would've been the perfect ending for the film.
Spoiler:
Then I could forgive the film for being as unrelenting depressing as it is. But the ending just ruins it with how it's handled and slaps viewers in the face as you say. So I doubt I'll ever watch this film again, and will sell the dvd sometime.
Old 10-12-11, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I don't know about that one. I probably would say no except for during the challenge. I don't think you would get arguments about it.
So countable?

I am doing an all first time viewing challenge so I try not to look too much at plot points.

I mainly look at genre designation on IMDB

Both this and an 80's movie called Android are two I was thinking might qualify but don't have the horror tag on IMDB...
Old 10-12-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Did GAMERA SUPER MONSTER ever come out on DVD? I have a VHS copy taped off b'cast TV some 25 years ago.
I don't know, I found a dvd of it at a convention once, but it may have been a bootleg copy.
Old 10-12-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

So countable?

I am doing an all first time viewing challenge so I try not to look too much at plot points.

Both this and an 80's movie called Android are two I was thinking might qualify but don't have the horror tag on IMDB...
I'd have no problem counting Doomsday. Lots of blood and gory stuff to appease the horror fan.
Old 10-12-11, 03:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Just finished the Pit and the Pendulum.

After this and the Masque of the Red Death being one of my most pleasant surprises last year, I need to see more of the Price/Corman Poe adaptations.
Old 10-12-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages? Could it be counted as documentary? It's sort of a combination.
Old 10-12-11, 03:04 PM

I counted "Doomsday" as horror both when I first saw it and again this year. Like Edtheripper said, there's plenty of blood and gore and horror elements.
Old 10-12-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So countable?

If you watch it but don't feel right counting it, you can always use a wild card, since that's for everything else.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.