Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 10-11-11, 10:03 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 20,258
Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by nezumi
I really had fun with Final Exam. Maybe it was the lack of gore and nudity, but there was a quaint charm about it. Joel S. Rice ("Radish") has the best line-delivery of any actor in the movie.
Really? I thought the film was boring

Also did you catch one of the actresses picking out a wedgie big time in one scene? Too funny!
Old 10-11-11, 10:11 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
SethDLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,729
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Really? I thought the film was boring
I found Final Exam extremely boring.

Blog entry for today is up. Yea, I'm still watching but the date is being closed with an all time favorite so its okay. http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...ge-day-11.html
Old 10-11-11, 10:15 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
shellebelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Posts: 664
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

So my husband just called me hardcore. I told him I wanted to take the laptop to Vegas with us on Thursday so that I can watch horror movies while I'm there. He just shook his head and walked away. I don't understand him.
Old 10-11-11, 10:30 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
nezumi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 313
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I think my reaction to Final Exam was slightly colored by the reviews and opinions that I read beforehand. As long as you go into it with lowered expectations, I think there's some enjoyment to be eked out of the movie. I'm not a serious gorehound, and the scant nudity on display was easy enough on the eyes. It was scored and shot pretty well, so that's two points in its favor. Also, Radish goes a long way to my enjoyment of the film. You can't say that the character isn't amusing.

I guess it's a question of motivations. If you want everything you watch to be a chain of kill after grisly kill, then you're going to be let down. I've seen worse horror movies this month, so I'm going to give Final Exam a pass. I had fun with it-- to each his own.

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Also did you catch one of the actresses picking out a wedgie big time in one scene? Too funny!
Yes! That's what I'm talking about! Any other production, and that would have been an outtake. Not this film, though. They left it in, and the world is so much richer for it.

Last edited by nezumi; 10-11-11 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-11-11, 10:41 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 562
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

It's weird. I watched my 60th movie last night and then I woke up today and haven't had the urge to watch a single movie today. I don't know if it's because I had a hard time watching movies yesterday because of my son acting up or other issues in the real world are really messing with me, but the thought of getting into a movie right now is really off putting. I've been watching episodes of Ugly Americans when I get a chance to sit down, which I guess I could count since it's all about monsters but I don't know if I want to bother getting into the how tv show thing. I'm going to see if there's a werewolf movie I feel like watching for today's theme but if not, I'm hoping at least to feel more normal tomorrow.
Old 10-11-11, 10:42 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,117
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Not to pile on, but I also found Final Exam to be a bloodless bore. Plus (IIRC - it's been a few years), there's absolutely no motivation provided for the killer's behavior. Not too many first time viewings so far this year, though I hope to rectify that this weekend. Those that I have seen have been unmemorable, with the exception of Black Swan, which I found extremely unnerving.
Old 10-11-11, 10:48 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 9,557
Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

It turns out $23.86 was a good enough of a price for me to order Vampire Circus and Halloween II. Looking forward to getting those in the mail.

Originally Posted by dcrw6
It's weird. I watched my 60th movie last night and then I woke up today and haven't had the urge to watch a single movie today. I don't know if it's because I had a hard time watching movies yesterday because of my son acting up or other issues in the real world are really messing with me, but the thought of getting into a movie right now is really off putting. I've been watching episodes of Ugly Americans when I get a chance to sit down, which I guess I could count since it's all about monsters but I don't know if I want to bother getting into the how tv show thing. I'm going to see if there's a werewolf movie I feel like watching for today's theme but if not, I'm hoping at least to feel more normal tomorrow.
FWIW, the DirecTV guide listed Ugly Americans under horror. You could always just use a wild card if you wanted.
Old 10-11-11, 11:07 PM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cleburne, TX
Posts: 486
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by nezumi
I really had fun with Final Exam. Maybe it was the lack of gore and nudity, but there was a quaint charm about it. Joel S. Rice ("Radish") has the best line-delivery of any actor in the movie.
Big fan of Final Exam right here. I really enjoy the characters and that it takes it's time with campus hijinks before getting into the killings. On the other hand, a lot of people like Halloween II and Prom Night, which I consider the two most boring slashers I've ever suffered through, so yeah, to each their own.

Speaking of slashers, I watched Edge of the Axe the other night after having only seen bits and pieces of it in the past. Longer review is in my list post, but I'll make special mention of the terrific opening, climax and closing shot.

Also watched The Shadow of Chikara, a very intriguing horror western. Unfortunately, my tape is pretty choppy at 96 minutes (though the full 114 minute version doesn't seem to be available anywhere) and poorly framed since this was shot in full 2.35:1. Eerie film, and while I saw the ending coming, it's still exceptionally creepy.
Old 10-11-11, 11:33 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,117
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

A suggestion for next year - allow a bonus 4th wildcard once someone hits 100.
Old 10-11-11, 11:40 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
mrcellophane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 1,718
Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Watched the excellent House of Wax (1953) with Vincent Price hamming it up! A very perverse part of me wants to watch the remake along with the 1999 remakes of The Haunting and House on Haunted Hill. However, I know this would be a bad idea since I tend to stick with older horror flicks and stay after from exploitative or excessive gore. I am building up my courage to finally watch my copy of The Walking Dead: Season One.

Watching House of Wax completed the "TCM Classic Movies: Horror" set which was one of my goals for the challenge. Now to finish up the Hammer Horror set and the two AMC cult classics sets that I have had on my shelf for over a year.
Old 10-11-11, 11:42 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
SethDLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,729
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Watched the excellent House of Wax (1953) with Vincent Price hamming it up! A very perverse part of me wants to watch the remake along with the 1999 remakes of The Haunting and House on Haunted Hill. However, I know this would be a bad idea since I tend to stick with older horror flicks and stay after from exploitative or excessive gore. I am building up my courage to finally watch my copy of The Walking Dead: Season One.

Watching House of Wax completed the "TCM Classic Movies: Horror" set which was one of my goals for the challenge. Now to finish up the Hammer Horror set and the two AMC cult classics sets that I have had on my shelf for over a year.
Check out Mystery Of The Wax Museum... the Price House Of Wax is basically a remake of it
Old 10-11-11, 11:58 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
SethDLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,729
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by NoirFan
A suggestion for next year - allow a bonus 4th wildcard once someone hits 100.
That would be awesome. Its like football, if you're successful on both challenges you get a 3rd... hit 100 get another wild card

Last edited by SethDLH; 10-12-11 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-12-11, 12:03 AM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 562
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by clckworang

FWIW, the DirecTV guide listed Ugly Americans under horror. You could always just use a wild card if you wanted.
Thanks, I think I'll do that as we now only have about three episodes left before we're done with the first season, and there was an episode dealing with werewolves which would fit in today's theme, thankfully.
Old 10-12-11, 01:32 AM
  #39  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,688
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I watched the black and white version of The Mist tonight. It was my second time seeing the film, and first time seeing the B&W version. I think it works wonderfully in B&W and the CGI effects don't look that bad now.

But man is this film just depressing in the extreme and not a fun viewing experience. There are some good scenes in it and it definitely has a nightmarish quality with some of the fates that befall various characters. But it's definitely not one to watch for a fun night at the movies. It's not really scary, just hopelessly depressing.

Also I'm glad the awful style of hand held camera work with random fast zooming in up close (The Office & Modern Family are good TV examples of this lousy style along with numerous films) wasn't used that much in the film. But the few moments it does happen is annoying in my opinion. It's one of the worst film making styles today in my opinion and I don't understand why anyone thought it was a good idea?

And now for some major spoilers,
Spoiler:
I don't mind the suicide ending. But I do think it's not handled that well, mostly with what happens after Thomas Jane kills everyone. The military convoy riding by with survivors as the mist goes away happens to quickly and mixed with that grating wailing vocal song used on the soundtrack is just too much. It's like the director is trying to hard to scream 'message' and 'irony!' and go all out with the most downbeat ending ever to prove how 'hardcore' he is for going there and it's just ridiculous. It leaves you feeling depressed sure, but it's still botched in my opinion.

So in my opinion, the film would be best left ending before the suicide once they see that creature walking across the road. It should've just showed them driving on into the mist and then fade to the credits as we wonder what happens next? It appears the world is covered with the mist and creatures, and that's not a pleasant thing at all given the horrors we witnessed earlier. So that would still be a depressing ending in general and end things on a great note.

Or if they just re-timed the 'ironic twist' of the ending, where maybe after Jane kills everyone and is breaking down with despair. The credits should begin to roll as he's hanging around waiting to die from the creatures, giving up all hope, and then after a few minutes, the military convoy and the survivors rolling by as the mist disappears could still happen without that annoying song. It might work then instead of being pushed on the viewers so quickly, and it might pack a bigger ironic punch then.

So it's a decent downbeat ending, but pretty flawed in execution at the same time.



The film did put me out of the mood of watching anything else though. I have one more depressing film I may try to view another time, and then I'll be sure to put on some lighter stuff to change the mood to more fun. At least I finally watched this film again despite knowing it's a downer.
Old 10-12-11, 02:51 AM
  #40  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,054
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Sauna is a cerebral film seemingly filled with inpenetrable depth. I can't think of a subset film so far this year more deserving of discussion. I am going through reviews to see if I can find some interpretation. This is one of the most challenging horror films I've seen, very rich. Part of me wants to rewatch it immediately and part of me wants to move on to Children of the Corn. I think Sauna is a film that may demand/reward repeated viewings.

Kudos to J. Farley for that suggestion!
Old 10-12-11, 04:24 AM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 665
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Watched two DTV horror flicks that aren't as bad as people say they are. "Asylum," which is kind of bad but I liked it anyway, and "Hit and Run," which starts out terrible and slowly builds to something that's a lot better than I thought it was going to be, but I can understand if other people didn't have the patience to finish it since I almost turned it off halfway through myself.
Old 10-12-11, 04:53 AM
  #42  
DVD Talk Legend
 
EdTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 15,722
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by nezumi
I really had fun with Final Exam. Maybe it was the lack of gore and nudity, but there was a quaint charm about it. Joel S. Rice ("Radish") has the best line-delivery of any actor in the movie.
I watched it for the first time last week. I was hoping for a bit more, but it was alright. Definitely not anything I'd revisit anytime soon.

The girl who picked her wedgie had me cracking up. I actually went back and re-watched it a couple of times to make sure I wasn't imagining things.
Old 10-12-11, 04:54 AM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 665
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I watched the black and white version of The Mist tonight. It was my second time seeing the film, and first time seeing the B&W version. I think it works wonderfully in B&W and the CGI effects don't look that bad now.

But man is this film just depressing in the extreme and not a fun viewing experience. There are some good scenes in it and it definitely has a nightmarish quality with some of the fates that befall various characters. But it's definitely not one to watch for a fun night at the movies. It's not really scary, just hopelessly depressing.

Also I'm glad the awful style of hand held camera work with random fast zooming in up close (The Office & Modern Family are good TV examples of this lousy style along with numerous films) wasn't used that much in the film. But the few moments it does happen is annoying in my opinion. It's one of the worst film making styles today in my opinion and I don't understand why anyone thought it was a good idea?

And now for some major spoilers,
Spoiler:
I don't mind the suicide ending. But I do think it's not handled that well, mostly with what happens after Thomas Jane kills everyone. The military convoy riding by with survivors as the mist goes away happens to quickly and mixed with that grating wailing vocal song used on the soundtrack is just too much. It's like the director is trying to hard to scream 'message' and 'irony!' and go all out with the most downbeat ending ever to prove how 'hardcore' he is for going there and it's just ridiculous. It leaves you feeling depressed sure, but it's still botched in my opinion.

So in my opinion, the film would be best left ending before the suicide once they see that creature walking across the road. It should've just showed them driving on into the mist and then fade to the credits as we wonder what happens next? It appears the world is covered with the mist and creatures, and that's not a pleasant thing at all given the horrors we witnessed earlier. So that would still be a depressing ending in general and end things on a great note.

Or if they just re-timed the 'ironic twist' of the ending, where maybe after Jane kills everyone and is breaking down with despair. The credits should begin to roll as he's hanging around waiting to die from the creatures, giving up all hope, and then after a few minutes, the military convoy and the survivors rolling by as the mist disappears could still happen without that annoying song. It might work then instead of being pushed on the viewers so quickly, and it might pack a bigger ironic punch then.

So it's a decent downbeat ending, but pretty flawed in execution at the same time.



The film did put me out of the mood of watching anything else though. I have one more depressing film I may try to view another time, and then I'll be sure to put on some lighter stuff to change the mood to more fun. At least I finally watched this film again despite knowing it's a downer.
I agree with your comments. Everyone told me I was just being down on the ending when I told everyone I didn't like it, but the more I think about it, the more I don't think it was handled very well at all.

Spoiler:
I don't know if you've read Stephen King's "The Mist," but the original novella ends the way you said the movie should end, with them driving through the mist not knowing if they're going to make it, and that works much much better, I think. It's not just because I'm "down on suicide" as one of my friends said. I would have been fine if they'd gotten out of the car and then he'd shot everyone as they THOUGHT a monster was coming at them. It would have been the same ending, but it would have been much less passive and annoying that way for me. "Hey, let's fight our way through tons or obstacles and then sit passively by while he shoots us in the head even when nothing is attacking us." I don't think it works. Plus that shot at the end showing the woman who left the store early in the movie to "get her children"? That was a cheap, bullshit shot, I thought. They'd already established that no one could even set foot outside the door without getting attacked, but somehow she made it through the mist and got back to safety? The messages seemed to be completely mixed. At first, it was "don't think you can survive, don't be too cocky, stay in the store and be safe or step outside and die because of your overconfidence" and then at the end they were saying "ha ha, you should have left when this woman did! Never mind that we've already established everyone who left like she did died, fuck you everyone who watched this until the end, now lie down so we can spit in your face!" It grates on my nerves. A few years ago, Gobear and I discussed the ending in one of the challenges, and he said he viewed it as the little boy was the sacrifice, and the little boy's death altered the universe so that everyone in the car could have been saved, and if the little boy hadn't died, they would have stayed in the universe where the monsters would have won. That's an interesting perspective, but I honestly don't think the filmmakers were that deep. I think they were going for the shock ending and they failed and insulted our intelligence with that they filmed.
Old 10-12-11, 04:55 AM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,671
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P


Just wanted to drop in and say how much I loved this:


Another one that I admired greatly was The Hunger. Are you sure Ridley didn't direct that one? I certainly don't think Tony's ever filmed anything as haunting & majestic as that since then.
Old 10-12-11, 07:58 AM
  #45  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 353
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Does a silent short (slightly over 20 min) count as 1 entry?
Old 10-12-11, 08:08 AM
  #46  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,293
Received 219 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by toldawg128
Does a silent short (slightly over 20 min) count as 1 entry?
Check the rules on pg 1.
Old 10-12-11, 08:25 AM
  #47  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,238
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

Just wanted to drop in and say how much I loved this:
i have that movie sitting with zombie strippers waiting a double feature night.

today i started off with trollhunter and gonna knock out troll2 and death bed before heading to work
Old 10-12-11, 08:48 AM
  #48  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,389
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Been getting kind of burnt out on straight horror, so I've been watching a lot of creature features lately until I get back in the mood for psychological horror and slasher films. That's what's nice about horror, there are so many genres. If you get burnt out on one kind, you can switch to another type of horror to mix it up and keep things entertaining.
Old 10-12-11, 09:58 AM
  #49  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,882
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
just finished THE BAD SEED and thought it was fantastic.
Original, TV movie or the foreign one?

Originally Posted by SethDLH
That would be awesome. Its like football, if you're successful on both challenges you get a 3rd... hit 100 get another wild card
Throw in another one if you complete the checklist.

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I watched the black and white version of The Mist tonight. It was my second time seeing the film, and first time seeing the B&W version. I think it works wonderfully in B&W and the CGI effects don't look that bad now.
I watched it for the first time last year, color version that is, and liked it a lot. I thought it was going to be some lame King adaption, or at least I could have sworn everyone saying they thought it sucked.
Old 10-12-11, 10:29 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,175
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Original, TV movie or the foreign one?
original

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.