Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

What with mid-terms and papers to grade this week, my march to 200 is over, but I'm still hoping to hit 180.
Old 10-16-11, 09:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Man, going to be tough holding off on playing Batman: Arkham City until November 1st.
Easy Peasy! Just keep repeating to yourself: The game's release date is November 1st, the game's release date is November 1st......
Old 10-16-11, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
The last time I watched the trilogy, it seemed Part II was actually stronger than the first one but it has been awhile.
I was just going to mention this. I love part II, but the first one bores me to tears.
Old 10-16-11, 10:06 AM
Banned

Today I plan to watch a couple titles, I didn't watch last year but I've seen in the past..
The Sixth Sense (1999) & Hide and Seek (2005)

I watched The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) last night, and thought it was really good but I haven't seen the original version yet.

In other off-topic news, I was out and about this morning so I decided to stop in at my local video store and check out their horror selection only to find out they downsized the entire store - supposedly tthe horror genre got pruned out first. Now they don't have many more than I already own, all mainstream. They used to have lots of obscure titles the last time I was in there (~2 years ago ,yeah it's been that long since I rented last). They did recommend a store about 30miles away that supposedly is the largest movie store in the area but I haven't been there yet - its too far just to rent a movie.
Old 10-16-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I watched Poultrygeist last night.

Oy.

Yes, one should know what to expect from Troma, but Lloyd Kaufman's ambition far exceeds his talents. He's like an even poorer man's version of John Waters minus the wickedly funny gay sensibility and Divine. On the other hand, I'll watch this over Meet the Spartans any day.
I guess that one would count for Musical, on the checklist. It's not really what I thought it was going to be. I like decades old Troma where they'd make horror movies with plots and scares instead of 90 minutes of left wing rants, poo and self-referencing jokes.

And then my bedroom TV stopped working yesterday

Blobermouth was worth a watch. They dubbed in a new plot over The Blob. Not the greatest thing in the world but I didn't feel like I wasted the time, since it also counted towards the theme night.
Old 10-16-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Watching a Conenberg film before work, not conducive to healthy workplace relationships.
Old 10-16-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Really? I thought this one was snoozer with no real scares for me. Grave Encounters, which I watched right before it, was awesome, though.
My sentiments as well.
Old 10-16-11, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I had to do it. I couldn't help myself but to look into after you mentioned it and literally the first response in the random interview I chose to read he's talking about having sex with his sister.

I'm so angry I'm almost shaking and I don't really know why.
Yeah, and later on he reveals she was mentally handicapped and ended up killing herself over him, which he seemed cool with. It'd be fascinating to make a documentary about the guy, but I don't know how long I'd last before attacking the guy.
Old 10-16-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by dcrw6
Yeah, and later on he reveals she was mentally handicapped and ended up killing herself over him, which he seemed cool with. It'd be fascinating to make a documentary about the guy, but I don't know how long I'd last before attacking the guy.
I was never planning to watch any film with the word "vomit" in the title, but this just seals it. There are some truly diseased souls in this world.
Old 10-16-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Easy Peasy! Just keep repeating to yourself: The game's release date is November 1st, the game's release date is November 1st......
What about games that you already play that you put on hold for an entire month in order to take part in the horror challenge? I haven't played DC Universe Online all month.

On another note, my DVD player bit the dust today, so I am limited to watching DVDs on my computer for now.
Old 10-16-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Hit the halfway mark to 100 with the original Friday the 13th. Going to need to pick up my pace a little if I want to make 100 by the end of the month.
Old 10-16-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
On another note, my DVD player bit the dust today, so I am limited to watching DVDs on my computer for now.
I thought for sure that my player shit the bed the other night, but I'd somehow managed to select two defective discs back-to-back. I was getting ready to run out to Wal-Mart and snag a new player,lol.
Old 10-16-11, 01:15 PM

Bummer. One tip, when replacing, make sure you get a region-free player. My Philips was about $30 and plays everything.
Old 10-16-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Bummer. One tip, when replacing, make sure you get a region-free player. My Philips was about $30 and plays everything.
Absolutely.
Old 10-16-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
What with mid-terms and papers to grade this week, my march to 200 is over, but I'm still hoping to hit 180.
I feel you there!

I had to take my own Midterms last week and have to grade this week to have turned in by Oct 19th/20th (I'm a College T.A).

I was hoping to meet a higher total, but I haven't watched any films in the last 4 days!
Old 10-16-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched another first-time viewing flick, Slugs on Youtube. The 1980s really were a golden age for low-budget horror flicks. Slugs is gross and gory and immensely satisfying, like eating junk food that you know is bad for you but, oh, so tasty.
Old 10-16-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Watched another first-time viewing flick, Slugs on Youtube. The 1980s really were a golden age for low-budget horror flicks. Slugs is gross and gory and immensely satisfying, like eating junk food that you know is bad for you but, oh, so tasty.
You don't have the authority to declare Happy Birthday!
Old 10-16-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
As someone that hates most new DTV horror, that movie was good
Tucker & Dale was very good. And didn't even realize that was Alan Tudyk from Firefly until after the film. A very convincing redneck.

Would Never Sleep Again, a 4 hour documentary, only count as one entry or is there a possibility of getting it to count as 2, based on the length?
I know this has already been answered, but I think it might be time for a change next year. If you're gonna put 4 hours into something you should get more than one entry as you do with mini-series. Just don't wanna do it mid-challenge.

Originally Posted by KaBluie
Last years Halloween episode of SNL had a lot of Halloween themed skits, this year Anna Faris mentioned it was the Halloween episode, the "Not really Halloween themed" Digital Short ended with a "Happy Halloween" and (in the worst part of the show) guys dressed as werewolves rapping on Weekend Update, and that was it! I think I'll use a Wild Card. OK?
Sure.

And then my bedroom TV stopped working yesterday
-&-
Is it just me or does this challenge hold some kind of record for equipment failures? I think I'll start including them as stats in the results thread.

Wanted to share this with you folks. I snagged a new camera (Canon T3i) earlier this year and this was the first test flick I shot with it. Wanted to make one of those fake grindhouse trailers like the one's for midnight movies in the 70s. It was all shot in about an hour (and looks it ).
Nice. That was better than some of the actual Grindhouse trailers.

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'm been meaning to hit 200 for years, but it's apparently out of my reach. Almost got burned out a couple years back with 168.
Old 10-16-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Point of order: tonight's premiere of Walking Dead Season 2 is 1.30 with commercials. Can we count it as one entry?
Old 10-16-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

So, just finished Phenomena (1985). Dr. Loomis? Dario Agento? Scantly clad young Jennifer Connely? Thousands of killer insects? A murderous chimp? AND songs by Iron Maiden and Motorhead...

Seriously, how the hell did I ever miss this one over the decades?

That said, ummm, this flick was a horrible mess of what the fuck!
Old 10-16-11, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chad
I know this has already been answered, but I think it might be time for a change next year. If you're gonna put 4 hours into something you should get more than one entry as you do with mini-series. Just don't wanna do it mid-challenge.
Originally Posted by Chad
I'm been meaning to hit 200 for years, but it's apparently out of my reach. Almost got burned out a couple years back with 168.
Easy way to "fix" both of these problems Chad.

Next year, go to the numbering scheme of the Academy Award, Holiday, and Action/Adventure/Crime Challenges.

Making everything, regardless of length, count as 1 makes things simple and makes the "goal" (written or unwritten) of 100 much more reasonable.

I think some people avoid certain Challenges because of complicated counting rules and the difficulty of hitting 100. But even if I'm wrong and neither of those are true, simpler is better and more inclusive.

People who are somehow bothered that their 100 full-length films are "beaten" by someone who watches 101 shorts will get over it.
Old 10-16-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, just finished Phenomena (1985). Dr. Loomis? Dario Agento? Scantly clad young Jennifer Connely? Thousands of killer insects? A murderous chimp? AND songs by Iron Maiden and Motorhead...

Seriously, how the hell did I ever miss this one over the decades?

That said, ummm, this flick was a horrible mess of what the fuck!
I love Phenomena, but the first time I saw it, I totally hated it. It was so bizarre and different from anything I had ever seen. Over the years, I ended up watching it several more times and it is now one of my favorite Argento flicks.
Old 10-16-11, 03:10 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Making everything, regardless of length, count as 1 makes things simple and makes the "goal" (written or unwritten) of 100 much more reasonable.

People who are somehow bothered that their 100 full-length films are "beaten" by someone who watches 101 shorts will get over it.
Nicely put; I totally agree. And those people will no doubt triumph in the "October 4000-Minute Something-Related-to-Horror Challenge"...
Old 10-16-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
And to answer the question earlier on which versions of the Alien films to watch for the first time. I'd say stick with the theatrical versions and you're safe. Then maybe check out the special edition versions if you want to. Though I think the theatrical versions of the first two films are superior in terms of pacing and atmosphere. I haven't seen the alternate cuts of part 3 and 4 yet. The SE of Aliens has some nice added scenes, but the pacing is tossed out the window, and one early scene completely takes away any mystery that the theatrical version has, so it's a mixed bag.
What's the main differences between the two versions anyways? I know Aliens Special Edition is like 20 minutes longer. Does it cut out anything from the theater release? And the Alien director's cut is one minute less than the theater one for some reason. So is there like a big different between these movies? I just want to watch the best version. I might watch the other part later, but don't want to double dip for the challenge.
Old 10-16-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but could someone add my name to the list thread? I'm starting kind of late in the game, but it's better than not starting at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.