Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 10-15-11, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Would Never Sleep Again, a 4 hour documentary, only count as one entry or is there a possibility of getting it to count as 2, based on the length?
Old 10-15-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I think I asked the same question last year and was told it only counted as one entry.
Old 10-15-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh well
Old 10-15-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 557 Likes on 332 Posts

Alright, settling down to some left-over Thanksgiving dinner and heading into the third part of a marathon day of flicks. Cotninuing with today's comedy theme (already watched Hocus Pocus, Terror toons and The Dog That Saved Halloween) I am capping it with Tales From The Darkside (The Movie) and Spring Break Massacre.
Old 10-15-11, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Oh well
Yeah, when I watched it it only counted as one. I suppose this works bot ways, right. You can watch four 60min flicks and all would count as separate entries. So, I'd watch Never Sleep Again and catch up with some old 40s classics.
Old 10-15-11, 07:24 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thoroughly enjoying the challenge this year and don't really think I've seen a totally abysmal film yet.

Watched '30 Days of Hell' the other day so am settling down to watch 'The Devils Rejects' so I can appreciate it some more after watching the documentary.

i booked off the last weekend of the month and at the rate I'm going I should hopefully hit the century for the first time ever
Old 10-15-11, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
You should watch the 1951 original as well, it's a classic.
I've never actually seen it, so I'll definitely track down a copy.
Old 10-15-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVDMagic View Post
Thoroughly enjoying the challenge this year and don't really think I've seen a totally abysmal film yet.
Allow me to introduce you to Terror Toons, my friend.
Old 10-15-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Very worth it. Though in this rare instance where the remake outdoes the original the '51 version is still quite good.
Old 10-15-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, The Amityville Horror (1979) had one of the lamest endings I've ever seen.
Spoiler:
It sure was gripping watching Brolin go back to get his dog! Don't the houses usually collapse or explode at the end of these kind of films?
Did Don Rickles' son play the younger priest? He was a dead ringer, both physically and vocally. A pretty pointless movie overall - there wasn't a single memorable sequence, and
Spoiler:
other than in the flashback, no one was even killed. Hell, no one was even put in any actual danger!
A typical AIP snoozefest.

Last edited by NoirFan; 10-15-11 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-15-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue View Post
...Just finished with Black Sabbath ...I realy enjoyed Sabbath. Bava is becoming one of my favorite directors.
I watched that one Friday for the Theme Night. I'd only seen his Planet of Vampires prior to that viewing. Black Sabbath was so good I'm very much anticipating watching the rest of the films in the Bava 1 set and may squeeze in I Vampiri later tonight. It's another "never seen" film for me.
Old 10-15-11, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can I suggest we move the Apocalyptic Horror theme night to October 21st? This is the day that Harold Camping now predicts our world will end: http://articles.businessinsider.com/...harold-camping You know, remember that guy from earlier this year?

I think it'd be great to watch these types of flicks on a day predicted to be the end of days. I mean, hey, when we gonna' get that chance again during the contest run?
Old 10-15-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone been watching Psychoville on Fearnet? I managed to get through the first two episodes and i'm not very happy with it. Does it get any better than that? I need two more episodes to equal 1 viewing but I don't know if I can do it. I
Old 10-15-11, 08:25 PM

Okay, got most of everything done that I needed for a while. I figure if I can get in about ten movies a day for the next three days, I can get back on previous pace. Something tells me that won't happen, but I'm going to try my damnedest.
Old 10-15-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by supermike07 View Post
CABIN FEVER (2002) is up next. Then its off to a haunted house this evening and back here for whatever my brother picks out from the pile of horror he's got... then TCM(2003) since we didn't get to it yesterday.

Anyone on here go to live horror attractions (e.g. haunted houses) or do you just watch movies?
With some of the numbers I see on the list thread, I wonder if some of you ever go outside...
Love those films, let me know what you think. And I went to Universal in Hollywood and it was pretty good. Wish I went with more girls, though, so the employees would chase us and be more scared. And yeah, I see some people have racked in about 100 films already and I wonder if this is all they do lol.
Old 10-15-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

New updates in the blog for days 14 and 15. Including possibly the worst movie I've ever seen Slaughtered Vomit Dolls.

Celluloid Terror

And to add to the Bava discussion - the boxsets are great for the most part. Each volume has a stinker in it though. He made some great movies, really a legend for horror. Black Sabbath and Black Sunday are exceptional.
Old 10-15-11, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH View Post
Including possibly the worst movie I've ever seen Slaughtered Vomit Dolls.
I have been laughing non-stop at your part about "Slaughtered Vomit Dolls." It actually MADE me want to watch it. As I'm typing this, I'm still laughing.
Old 10-15-11, 09:09 PM

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy24LA View Post
Went to Scarowinds 3 times (season pass) and I recommend that to anyone. I wish I lived near Universal Studios, would love the go to Horror Nights.
I used to live in Tampa, tried to go every year to Halloween Horror Nights at Busch Gardens and went to Horror Nights at Universal Studios a number of times. It was even better than watching Horror movies on TV .
Old 10-15-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SethDLH View Post
And to add to the Bava discussion - the boxsets are great for the most part. Each volume has a stinker in it though.
Which title didn't you like on the first set? The Girl Who Knew Too Much is a tad hokey at times, but it's a decent film. Going in, I was expecting Knives of the Avenger to be a hammy sword-and-sandal type programmer, but I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.
Old 10-15-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kthnxbai View Post
I have been laughing non-stop at your part about "Slaughtered Vomit Dolls." It actually MADE me want to watch it. As I'm typing this, I'm still laughing.
Seriously, don't. I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of the blog post but you won't get that out of the movie.

Which title didn't you like on the first set? The Girl Who Knew Too Much is a tad hokey at times, but it's a decent film. Going in, I was expecting Knives of the Avenger to be a hammy sword-and-sandal type programmer, but I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.
KotA was the one in set 1... To be fair I haven't watched it in years so it isn't the freshest in my mind. It wasn't awful, but not up to par with the others. I hated Roy Colt & Winchester Jack on the 2nd box. I love spaghetti westerns but couldn't take that one.
Old 10-15-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by supermike07 View Post
CABIN FEVER (2002) is up next. Then its off to a haunted house this evening and back here for whatever my brother picks out from the pile of horror he's got... then TCM(2003) since we didn't get to it yesterday.

Anyone on here go to live horror attractions (e.g. haunted houses) or do you just watch movies?
With some of the numbers I see on the list thread, I wonder if some of you ever go outside...
i see your from NY which haunted houses have you visited?
Old 10-15-11, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Carpenter does a commentary on the R2 disc, but for some reason they paired his track with an unrestored version, which is inexplicably included (along with a colorized version!) and looks terrible. The track is a decent one, but for a guy who is known for his extensive love for and knowledge of Hawks, there are a lot of silent gaps.
Old 10-15-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 407 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Can I suggest we move the Apocalyptic Horror theme night to October 21st? This is the day that Harold Camping now predicts our world will end: http://articles.businessinsider.com/...harold-camping You know, remember that guy from earlier this year?

I think it'd be great to watch these types of flicks on a day predicted to be the end of days. I mean, hey, when we gonna' get that chance again during the contest run?
Yeah, sure. Can't believe I missed that little doozy. Unless anyone objects to switching Night of the Comet with The Stepfather on the subset list.

That's awesome.

Wow, The Amityville Horror (1979) had one of the lamest endings I've ever seen.
Spoiler:
It sure was gripping watching Brolin go back to get his dog! Don't the houses usually collapse or explode at the end of these kind of films?
Did Don Rickles' son play the younger priest? He was a dead ringer, both physically and vocally. A pretty pointless movie overall - there wasn't a single memorable sequence, and
Spoiler:
other than in the flashback, no one was even killed. Hell, no one was even put in any actual danger!
A typical AIP snoozefest.
I'll never understand that film's status as a genre classic.
Old 10-15-11, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Just finished The Tunnel a little while ago. Good stuff.
Old 10-15-11, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished The Tunnel a little while ago. Good stuff.
Really? I thought this one was snoozer with no real scares for me. Grave Encounters, which I watched right before it, was awesome, though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.