Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-11, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Jessica Biel's nipples are non-existent in that film
Her mid-section/stomach is the best part. Mmmm... gleaming goodness.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I was out of the country when Blair Witch was doing all it's initial advertising, trying to make it look like it was a true story but I did make it back when it was at the theater. We went and saw it and one person in the crowd said what a lot of us were thinking, "That's it?"
Not much to it, but I did enjoy the ending a lot. It's one of those movies that takes a great deal of suspension of belief and imagination. But I think it's fun.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
And on the fourteenth day of the month of October in the year of our Lord two thousand eleven, at approximately 8:15 pm, I have completed the checklist.
You 'da man.

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'm closing in on my checklist, but I've been putting off the Jean Rollin film. Anyone care to recommend one?
Egad. The (now late) Jean Rollin deserves much more attention than that! I recommend Fascination and Lips of Blood, and of course the subset. If you are new to his work you have to go in with an open mind, and enjoy the beauty and art of his framing and imagery. Despite Rollin's low budget and sub-par actors, I appreciate any director's notion that a castle or ruins on a beach are nicer to look at with a naked woman (or two). And RIP, to Mr. Rollin.
Old 10-15-11, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I watched Hatchet II today (1st time view), a little disappointing imo. I didn't read any reviews. But I saw that Danielle Harris, Kane Hodder and Tony Todd were in it. So I thought it would be good.

I'm way behind my goal, only 5 watched so far. I should have more free time thru Halloween.
Old 10-15-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
And Butterfinger the 13th debuted today:

http://www.fearnet.com/movies/b24188...nger_13th.html

Don't know what it is, but it's directed by Rob Lowe and only 37 minutes long. I'm sold.
Would that count as one full entry or would we need to add things to it?
Old 10-15-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Ran into a few surprises yesterday:

Night of the Scarecrow-While Dark Night of the Scarecrow seems to be gathering major acclaim around these parts, this is the one to watch if you really want to see a nasty scarecrow wreaking havoc. He's the most memorable villain I've encountered in this marathon so far with his movements,the voice,the cackle and his weapons (via original and horrific-looking fx)
(On Netflix Instant)

Evilspeak-I'm even sure that The Pope and Billy Graham would be rooting for Satan in this one! Almost came this close to standing and cheering at the conclusion!

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
The (now late) Jean Rollin deserves much more attention than that! I recommend Fascination and Lips of Blood, and of course the subset. If you are new to his work you have to go in with an open mind, and enjoy the beauty and art of his framing and imagery. Despite Rollin's low budget and sub-par actors, I appreciate any director's notion that a castle or ruins on a beach are nicer to look at with a naked woman (or two). And RIP, to Mr. Rollin.
(I've said this elsewhere, but I certainly don't mind repeating myself on this occasion)
I remember getting off to a VERY SHAKY start with Rollin thanks to submitting myself to Zombie Lake and Teenage Hitchhikers. Thankfully, I gave him another shot by running into a string of winners (Night/Hunted,Grapes/Death,Living Dead Girl) and quickly re-thought my opinion of his work(s).
Saw Nude Vampire earlier in the week and hope to check out at least 3 more of his films (On Instant) before the marathon closes out. Can't tell ya how glad I am to see others being introduced to him (Especially by watching the correct films) thanks to this year's challenge.
Old 10-15-11, 03:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Would that count as one full entry or would we need to add things to it?
See post #1. You'd have to add a few more shorts. Films have to be ~45 minutes to count as one.

Edit to add clarifications after some research: Shorts have to add up to 90 minutes. Features films have to be "more than 40 minutes", and a short is "40 minutes or less", so I guess 40 minutes and 1 second is a feature.
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Night of the Scarecrow-While Dark Night of the Scarecrow seems to be gathering major acclaim around these parts, this is the one to watch if you really want to see a nasty scarecrow wreaking havoc. He's the most memorable villain I've encountered in this marathon so far with his movements,the voice,the cackle and his weapons (via original and horrific-looking fx)
Those are two different films? I has always thought people were just shortening the title. Cool, added to my instant queue.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-15-11 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-15-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I busted my toe by dropping a barbell on it, so that blew my plan to have lunch with friends and see the Thing prequel today. The upside: more time for movies!
Old 10-15-11, 03:44 PM

Doing really abysmal now, numbers wise, but that's real life I suppose. Yesterday, I only got a few Roseanne Halloween episodes and The Haunting for the theme night. Don't know what I'll get in today. I also got my 360 finally fixed and I've got Alan Wake sitting here which has been calling to me for a long time now...
Old 10-15-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

finally watched Silver Bullet for the first time really enjoyed it I dont know why i have held off so long for watching this. gonna wrap it up with pet cemetary 1 / 2 that i dvr'ed off amc last night.
Old 10-15-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm seeing this on Monday. As with all modern remakes (or prequel in this case), my expectations are relatively low. I'm going to watch the original and the Carpenter version tomorrow night.
Originally Posted by Trevor
Sounds like a great double feature. Maybe I'll find a theme day that matches this and go for the triple.
I'm seeing the remake/prequel on Wednesday and am gonna follow it up with the Carpenter flick. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-15-11, 03:51 PM
Banned

CABIN FEVER (2002) is up next. Then its off to a haunted house this evening and back here for whatever my brother picks out from the pile of horror he's got... then TCM(2003) since we didn't get to it yesterday.

Anyone on here go to live horror attractions (e.g. haunted houses) or do you just watch movies?
With some of the numbers I see on the list thread, I wonder if some of you ever go outside...
Old 10-15-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If anyone's looking for some slapstick, turn off your brain comedy for a lazy Saturday afternoon streaming on Netflix there's...

The Alan Smithee directed Ghost Fever with Sherman Hemsley.

The Razzie® Award-winning Haunted Honeymoon with Gene Wilder.

Today's subset pick Poultrygeist is streaming on Hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/149013/pou...r-and-Suspense

And Butterfinger the 13th debuted today:

http://www.fearnet.com/movies/b24188...nger_13th.html

Don't know what it is, but it's directed by Rob Lowe and only 37 minutes long. I'm sold.
Netflix streaming has a spoof of the Blob called Blobermouth. It sounds like it could bar pretty fun or really bad but I'll find out by the end of the day.
Old 10-15-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I'm seeing the remake/prequel on Wednesday and am gonna follow it up with the Carpenter flick. Looking forward to it.
You should watch the 1951 original as well, it's a classic.
Old 10-15-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember getting off to a VERY SHAKY start with Rollin thanks to submitting myself to Zombie Lake and Teenage Hitchhikers.
Yeah, those are two films he produced more for contractual obligations, and he used a pseudonym for the original releases. Jess Franco actually made Zombie Lake with Rollin as collaborator, just as Rollin filmed the end of Franco’s Virgin Among the Living Dead. He had no problem making films for money, to finance his own works. And I’m so glad there’s so much streaming on Netflix. I about fell off my couch when those showed up as a recommendation for me!

I'll also have to check out the other scarecrow movie, thanks!
Old 10-15-11, 04:58 PM

You should watch the 1951 original as well, it's a classic.
This was one of the first horror films I remember. Loved it as a kid, always asking my mom when the "carrot monster" movie was coming on again.
Old 10-15-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I busted my toe by dropping a barbell on it, so that blew my plan to have lunch with friends and see the Thing prequel today. The upside: more time for movies!
Ouch. Been there. And I have the ingrown toenail that won't grow back properly to prove it.

(On Netflix Instant)
Gotta check that one out. I'll admit I've been ignoring it and just assumed it was crappy being it's a mid '90s DTV flick.

Another killer scarecrow movie I'd recommend is Scarecrows. Also streaming.

Originally Posted by supermike07
Anyone on here go to live horror attractions (e.g. haunted houses) or do you just watch movies?
With some of the numbers I see on the list thread, I wonder if some of you ever go outside...
I would if there were any locally worth going to. And I did run a 6-miler this morning, so yeah. Fresh air is my bitch.
Old 10-15-11, 05:12 PM

Another killer scarecrow movie I'd recommend is Scarecrows. Also streaming.
And only 84 minutes. I'll make a scarecrow night with those three films and Trick R Treat perhaps.
I would if there were any locally worth going to. And I did run a 6-miler this morning, so yeah. Fresh air is my bitch.
What?! You can run in November, the air will be even fresher then.
Old 10-15-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And I did run a 6-miler this morning, so yeah. Fresh air is my bitch.
Stop, you're ruining my imagination of you being a slightly larger Harry Knowles sitting in a dark, leaky basement surrounded by horror figurines and posters/whiteboards filled with Challenge notes and flowcharts...
Old 10-15-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved it as a kid, always asking my mom when the "carrot monster" movie was coming on again.
"An intellectual carrot! The mind boggles..."
Old 10-15-11, 05:27 PM

If anyone is looking for another scarecrow movie, Husk is a solid film. I'ts got a few plotholes but considering that the After Dark horror line can be spotty, this was a decent outing.

Just finished with Black Sabbath and Romero's Diary of the Dead. DotD was good, but I realy enjoyed Sabbath. Bava is becoming one of my favorite directors.

Last edited by Burgundy LaRue; 10-15-11 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-15-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

^Cool. I'll wait until my BD of Dark Night gets here and have a scarecrow quadruple feature.

What?! You can run in November, the air will be even fresher then.
Yeah, but that's my way of relaxing after a stressful day. Keeps me sane and rejuvenated.

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Stop, you're ruining my imagination of you being a slightly larger Harry Knowles sitting in a dark, leaky basement surrounded by horror figurines and posters/whiteboards filled with Challenge notes and flowcharts...

Oh, and for anyone who took advantage of the $5 Amazon Instant Video GC posted in Hot Deals awhile back, they have the theatrical rental of Tucker & Dale vs Evil and that knocks it down to $1.99.
Old 10-15-11, 05:41 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by supermike07
Went to Scarowinds 3 times (season pass) and I recommend that to anyone. I wish I lived near Universal Studios, would love the go to Horror Nights.
Old 10-15-11, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Baaa, during this month going outside, hiking and fresh air are for slackers.
Old 10-15-11, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, and for anyone who took advantage of the $5 Amazon Instant Video GC posted in Hot Deals awhile back, they have the theatrical rental of Tucker & Dale vs Evil and that knocks it down to $1.99.
As someone that hates most new DTV horror, that movie was good
Old 10-15-11, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
Just finished with Black Sabbath and Romero's Diary of the Dead. DotD was good, but I realy enjoyed Sabbath. Bava is becoming one of my favorite directors.
Which of his other films have you seen? I prefer the Gothic, atmospheric 60's films to the harder-edged, gorier stuff that came later.
Old 10-15-11, 06:30 PM

Which of his other films have you seen? I prefer the Gothic, atmospheric 60's films to the harder-edged, gorier stuff that came later.
So far:

Bay of Blood (Twitch of the Death Nerve)
Black Sunday
Black Sabbath
Kill, Baby. . .Kill!

I have the two Bava sets, so I'll eventually cover everything in those. I've liked everything I've seen so far.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.