Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by NoirFan
mrcellophane, you should watch the 1931 pre-code Jekyll & Hyde - the sexual aspect of Hyde's character is much more explicit than in the Tracy version, which makes for a far more interesting film.
NoirFan, I watched the 1931 version a few months ago and must say I prefer it to the 1941 film and musical. March's Hyde was much more faithful to the book, more animalistic. It is a film I plan to rewatch.
Old 10-10-11, 05:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I'm pretty disappointed right now. It was my goal to watch "The Dark Secret of Harvest Home" this year as part of the horror challenge, since it's a movie I never got to watch as a kid, and I've been looking forward to it all year. It's available on youtube and I was planning to watch it today. So I go online to the website that has rounded up all the youtube videos of the movie and I happened to glance at their "summary" of the movie, and it's only three lines long and it GIVES AWAY THE END OF THE MOVIE!!! Seriously? HELLO, some of us don't want to know how the movie ends BEFORE WE SEE IT. GRRRRR. I could still watch it, but now that I know how it ends my motivation is gone. I probably would have guessed the ending anyway, but that's not the point. How can you have a three-line summary that STILL manages to give away the end of the movie?

Maybe I'll just watch "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte" again.
I hate that! A Facebook friend had a status about the original Ocean's Eleven today. Summarized the whole plot and gave away the ending. I can move that off my to-watch pile now....

My Mom can't talk about a film without saying something to give away the basics of it. Even if I stop her mid-sentence and beg her not to say anything, she'll say something like, "Ok, but it's so sad at the end."
Originally Posted by mrcellophane
NoirFan, I watched the 1931 version a few months ago and must say I prefer it to the 1941 film and musical. March's Hyde was much more faithful to the book, more animalistic. It is a film I plan to rewatch.
I watched both a couple Challenges ago and got on a J&H kick. Found about 20 different film versions of it and tried to track them all down.
Old 10-10-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

mrcellophane, you should watch the 1931 pre-code Jekyll & Hyde - the sexual aspect of Hyde's character is much more explicit than in the Tracy version, which makes for a far more interesting film.
I'll second this statement! The '31 version is the one I prefer. Hyde is more evil and the makeup effects are much better. It's a much grittier film.
Old 10-10-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Would Phantom of the Opera (1943) count for the Musical category? There are several opera numbers.
It's been a while since I've seen that version, but I counted the 1962 Hammer one as it has just as much music as Rocky Horror. The last time I saw the '43 version I recall thinking it was more a musical than horror film. In fact that's one of the reasons I've put off getting a copy.
Old 10-10-11, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really wish they would re-release the Sleepaway Camp movies in another box set (preferably on blu-ray). This challenge makes my need for this release even greater.

Just throwing that out there.
Old 10-10-11, 05:34 PM

Figured today would be as good a day as any to try to watch Scalps.
Old 10-10-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I'm pretty disappointed right now. It was my goal to watch "The Dark Secret of Harvest Home" this year as part of the horror challenge, since it's a movie I never got to watch as a kid, and I've been looking forward to it all year. It's available on youtube and I was planning to watch it today. So I go online to the website that has rounded up all the youtube videos of the movie and I happened to glance at their "summary" of the movie, and it's only three lines long and it GIVES AWAY THE END OF THE MOVIE!!! Seriously? HELLO, some of us don't want to know how the movie ends BEFORE WE SEE IT. GRRRRR. I could still watch it, but now that I know how it ends my motivation is gone. I probably would have guessed the ending anyway, but that's not the point. How can you have a three-line summary that STILL manages to give away the end of the movie?

Maybe I'll just watch "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte" again.
Maybe they just lied about the ending. I've done that to people in the past where I'll tell the plot and then make up something completely different for the ending. One girl got really mad when I "spoiled" 12 Monkeys for her.
Old 10-10-11, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Maybe they just lied about the ending. I've done that to people in the past where I'll tell the plot and then make up something completely different for the ending. One girl got really mad when I "spoiled" 12 Monkeys for her.
No, that would have been funny but these people aren't smart enough for that. I checked out the wikipedia page after they spoiled it for me and read the detailed summary since I might as well know the details once it's already spoiled. I checked out a few more of their movie page links for movies I've already seen, and they spoil everything. It's like they don't realize that including the ending of the movie in the second line of the summary isn't a good thing to do.
Old 10-10-11, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Finished watching The Redsin Tower (2006)

I was expecting far worse seeing as Toe Tag Pictures are really bad storytellers but great FX folks. Pretty run of the mill but never as bad as some of the other films I've seen for this challenge.

They definitely took Ghost rape to an entirely crazier level.
Old 10-10-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor

The scant few threads we had during the Club's day were just clamoring for more Dick.

Wait....
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
So at least I now know who to blame...Dick and Trevor...and any other bastard participating in other challenges!

I second trying the Horror Film Club for one a month.

Just remember, all the other Challenges support horror as well. Don't ignore us 11 months of the year, come play in the other Challenges...
Whoa. Really feel the guilt-train rollin’ down my tracks…
Old 10-10-11, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
Checking this out now, and am very glad that I saw your post on this movie.

Decent flick with not bad acting or storyline given it probably had very little budget.

I recommend this to anyone that wants a nice little movie that falls in under the 90 minute mark
I watched it a few days ago, it's decent but it reminded me a little too much of The Ruins which I never really liked either. The ending to Primal was absurd.
Old 10-10-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Lucky for us UPS doesn't take Federal holidays off.

Here's what are gracious sponsor Something Weird has generously donated:

Scream of the Demon Lover (1970)
Terror-Creatures from the Grave (1965)*
Death Smiles on a Murderer (1973)
The Undertaker and His Pals (1966)*
The Bushwhacker (1968)*

* = Frank Henenlotter's Sexy Shockers from the Vault
Old 10-10-11, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
Lucky for us UPS doesn't take Federal holidays off.

Here's hoping for some more random participant drawings, as I seem to have terrible luck with everything else.
Old 10-10-11, 07:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I usually don't care if I win prizes, but darn if you don't have some doozies this year. Thanks Something Weird and the other sponsors!
Old 10-10-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The sponsors this year are ridiculous! Great work!
Old 10-10-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished watching Bloodlust, a 1961 entry in the Most Dangerous Game genre - but with teenagers as the stalked. One of them is "Mike Brady" (Robert Reed) (hmmm I wonder if Carol knew about this adventure). It has quite a few humorous lines, unintentional I'm sure, and is a pretty standard entry in that genre. I loved it when they left the main boat for the island in a dinghy and the formerly passed out drunken boat captain awoke just as they got out of earshot to scream "STOP! Don't go there!!".
Old 10-10-11, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Just finished a first time viewing of From Hell. It was a good, yet draining experience. Difficult to sit through for all the right reasons.
Old 10-10-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent

Here's hoping for some more random participant drawings, as I seem to have terrible luck with everything else.
Same here. With all these prizes, it'd be nice to win something at random because I suck at trivia.
Old 10-10-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A most impressive selection Chad - the best year ever, prize-wise!
Old 10-10-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually don't care if I win prizes, but darn if you don't have some doozies this year. Thanks Something Weird and the other sponsors!
Agreed i dont expect to win prized as usually have whats offered anyway, but this years theres alot of cool shit iv added to my wishlist for after the challenge incase one makes my way to my door.

as far as the horror club i always enjoyed it, but when it was relaunched i lost my computer and was a chore to get on, but always watched the listed movie just never was able to post *was using my shitty ps3 browser*

best part of this challenge is reading everyones opinions and discussions on what theyre watching and to find new gems. why not try a active horror discussion *pretty much like this minus the challenge word* maybe even see if we can get a sponser to push for participation?

speaking of which i remember when members were donating prizes and i remember sending a message saying i had a couple dvd unopened i could part with and ended up moving with no internet connection right after the challenge and dont remember if i screwed anyone out of a prize now i feel bad
Old 10-10-11, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

So ... The Golem. Acceptable for the Frankenstein checklist item?
Old 10-10-11, 08:18 PM

Chromeskull: Laid to rest 2 was pretty disappointing. Aside from the gore being top notch the rest of the movie was pretty much a turd.
Old 10-10-11, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by terrycloth
best part of this challenge is reading everyones opinions and discussions on what theyre watching and to find new gems. why not try a active horror discussion *pretty much like this minus the challenge word* maybe even see if we can get a sponser to push for participation?
I would go for that. It'd be nice to drop in and suggest films or tv or whatever horror pops into our minds. I guess we could set up a fb group for the same purpose, but those seem to go to archive afterlife, and no anonymity.
Old 10-10-11, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Otis checklist question

Spoiler:
Rape/Revenge check?
Has no one seen this? If not, do yourself a favor and see it. Also I will take a lack of response as a yes to the posed question.
Old 10-10-11, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by clckworang
So ... The Golem. Acceptable for the Frankenstein checklist item?
I wouldn't since Golems are made through magic and Frankenstein's monster is made through dead bodies and science.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.