Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 11:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Got love for everyone in this thread, but are some of you who are in the 35-50 range already watching your films? Or is it turn on the film while you are on your laptop/vacuuming/making dinner thing?
As one who once (and once only) averaged 9 films a day, I think those numbers are very possible to maintain for an entire month. But to do so, I think the following are necessary:
  • You must either not have a job, or have one that allows you to watch films all day.
  • You must swear off pretty much everything else in life and just watch TV all month.

Lots of people have the first requirement, and most of us could do the second if we really wanted. Sure, you might lose your sanity, spouse, and friends, but you could do it.

As for the multi-tasking, my rule is that no other sounds can interrupt my viewing. So no conversations, music, phone calls, or the like can be happening to "count" a film (I rewind/pause a film if I miss a word); but occasional light distractions like glancing at my email or updating my list are okay, as long as I maintain primary concentration on the film).
Old 10-07-11, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

That makes total sense. I would assume posters would have a lot of time if they weren't working or unemployed, but I really didn't want to be rude and just assume it.
Oh, it's not rude at all to me. Unfortunately, that's just how the world works right now. And yeah, the second 2001 Maniacs was just horrid.

Originally Posted by brainee
Has anyone ever seen a horror anime series called "Boogiepop Phantom"? Just finished watching it. Very strikingly stylish - and extremely creepy. But I feel like an idiot because I have very little of what the story actually was about. I can look up the plot on wikipedia ... but even reading it, I don't see how I could've gotten that from what I just watched Maybe I better watch something stupid just to make myself feel better next! "Boogiepop Phantom" is very much in the vein as "Paranoia Agent" and "Serial Experiments Lain", if anyone's seen those (in fact the same animator did "Lain" and "Boogiepop"). I do like horror anime that's not afraid to be intelligent and challenging, and doesn't stoop to goofy comic relief and ridiculous over-the-top monster battles.

I watched Boogiepop quite some time ago now, but I really enjoyed it when I did. I probably could follow only about half of what was going on, but I loved the tone and atmosphere of it. I did once find a site that had basically Cliff Notes to read along as you watched it that would clear everything up, but I think I lost the bookmark before I could go back and do it.
Old 10-07-11, 12:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by omike
Looking forward to a Hammer Horror double feature this evening -- Frankenstein Created Woman and Blood From the Mummy's Tomb.
Don't forget Vampire Circus! Today's subset film was excellent.
Old 10-07-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Being retired I can see how some people have plenty of time to do nothing but watch movies. Unfortunately other obligations keep me from being one of them, so I am still lucky if I can get between 3-4 in during the day.
Old 10-07-11, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a couple hours of errands to run but then it is on to a Hammer marathon!
Old 10-07-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got love for everyone in this thread, but are some of you who are in the 35-50 range already watching your films? Or is it turn on the film while you are on your laptop/vacuuming/making dinner thing?
Originally Posted by shadokitty
Being retired I can see how some people have plenty of time to do nothing but watch movies. Unfortunately other obligations keep me from being one of them, so I am still lucky if I can get between 3-4 in during the day.
7 days in and so it begins

I mean really, is anyone that does something like just play a movie in the background even going to admit it? Hopefully it doesn't get crazy and get the thread shut down again, although I will admit the drama made for an interesting read.
Old 10-07-11, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Finished Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth. Great stuff minus a lot of cheesy one-liners. It's like the Hellraiser series and a cheesy 80's slasher had a baby.

For anyone who owns the previous Region 1 DVD....is the Uncut footage put in correctly? I have the UK Anchor Bay DVD and it looks like they just spliced in all the VHS footage.
I didn't think the UR version had been released in the US. I could be wrong though.
Old 10-07-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I wasn't trying to raise drama, I was merely stating that in my opinion, I could see how people could get those kinds of numbers legitimately.
Old 10-07-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I meant more of the whole "How could anyone watch this many movie a day?" type topic that comes up every year, which in one case got the challenge shut down for a few days because it got so bad.
Old 10-07-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I didn't think the UR version had been released in the US. I could be wrong though.
When Paramount released it on DVD a few years back it stated that it was the R cut but it had at least some of the uncut version in it. I'm pretty certain it was a hybrid of the 2 cuts while not being the full uncut version, it was partially uncut. If that makes sense.
Old 10-07-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The great thing about series like "Boogiepop Phantom" and "Serial Experiments Lain" is that they're so hard to summarize. They're not about plot points, but about the experience of the characters facing such bizarre phenomena and getting inside their heads. They're journeys of discovery by the characters.
Definitely. I while I didn't understand it, I did like it. I think some things are made to evoke moods or emotions rather than tell a coherent story - "Eraserhead" is a live-action example. I was able to follow along with what was happening to new characters (that would typically be introduced for every episode). The characters were mostly confused by weirdness going on around them - if anything, I was a bit ahead of them in that regard.

And the way it ended really drove home the point that the show was about journeys.
Spoiler:
Instead of a big monster battle or a bad guy being defeated in some way, the last episode had very little supernatural actually going on. Instead, it was just following two girls as they took their college entrance exams and graduated high school.
Old 10-07-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I meant more of the whole "How could anyone watch this many movie a day?" type topic that comes up every year, which in one case got the challenge shut down for a few days because it got so bad.
I remember that. It completely derailed the discussion thread. Last year was pretty peaceful, though.
Old 10-07-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's just our competitive streak that brings out the curiosity of how people can watch so much, being that we're always looking to better our own strategy.

I myself mirror what Trevor stated as rules, but at work if I'm just updated Excel spreadsheets and can watch my phone at the same time, I'll do that. But it took me 5+ hours to watch Sometimes They Come Back the other day, as I pause and rewind when needed. Great movie, btw. I hadn't seen it before.

I’ve also only been at this for the last 4 years, so I missed all the drama that shut things down before. Sounds like it was an interesting time. There’s been drama since then, but nothing too bad. My only drama is I can’t seem to find the time to actually update my list properly.
Old 10-07-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Then I apologize to everyone for bringing it up. I'm not questioning numbers, it more of my own personal jealously that made the question come up. I wish I had more time to watch the stuff I buy

Between having a girlfriend, classes, work and being a community organizer for the competitive video game community here in Northern California, I'm still surprised I've managed to watch as many as I have even at this point.

Back on topic....

Finished watching The Haunting In Connecticut. A little longer than it should have been, put it was pretty good for your usual Haunted House flicks. The production was ridiculously high and I enjoyed a lot of the visuals in the film. After watching this, it definitely confirmed that I am a complete wuss when it comes to Ghost films.

Maybe I'm mistaken? I know Julie Walker had mentioned the differences on here on a post I read.

Nevermind: NSFW

http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4458
Old 10-07-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I remember that. It completely derailed the discussion thread. Last year was pretty peaceful, though.
Did there used to be a special prize for the person that "won" the challenge with the most movies watched? If not, I never understood why anyone would care (must less get worked up over it). As has been mentioned here, it's not like getting a crazy high total paints a flattering picture of the viewer. Instead, most people see those lists and imagine the person as some kind of unemployed shut-in with no life. No insult intended to all the unemployed shut-ins with no lives here of course!
Old 10-07-11, 02:39 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Just watched From Beyond, and it's definitely my favorite of the challenge so far!

I can't believe it's taken me so long to see this one, but it was definitely worth it!
Old 10-07-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Anyone thinking of seeing Human Centipede 2 for this years' challenge?

Thanks to Rypro's information on some theater changes, I found a theater in San Francisco that is screening it tonight. I'm still up in the air about going out tonight to see it at Midnight.
Old 10-07-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm at 25 films in on Day Seven. I am a self-employed shut-in with no life. It's not as hard as you think if you have zero else going on.
Old 10-07-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did there used to be a special prize for the person that "won" the challenge with the most movies watched? If not, I never understood why anyone would care (must less get worked up over it). As has been mentioned here, it's not like getting a crazy high total paints a flattering picture of the viewer. Instead, most people see those lists and imagine the person as some kind of unemployed shut-in with no life. No insult intended to all the unemployed shut-ins with no lives here of course!
Yeah, that's how it worked. Chad just sat back, sipping his wine and laughing, as he turned us against each other. He met his goal for that year

Numbers fighting has only really been a problem with this challenge, or at least I've never seen it in any of the others. I think I skipped out on the challenge the next year and then only participated a little the year after that.
Old 10-07-11, 03:49 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Did there used to be a special prize for the person that "won" the challenge with the most movies watched? If not, I never understood why anyone would care (must less get worked up over it).
Yeah, the year in question it was really out of control and it became about "winning" by having the highest total. I think there's been a great effort in the years since to point out that it's a challenge, not a contest or a race, and that everyone who reaches 100* wins.

[*Or whatever your own personal goal is, if you choose to pitch it lower.]
Old 10-07-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, that's how it worked. Chad just sat back, sipping his wine and laughing, as he turned us against each other. He met his goal for that year

Numbers fighting has only really been a problem with this challenge, or at least I've never seen it in any of the others. I think I skipped out on the challenge the next year and then only participated a little the year after that.
My first challenge was 2008, so I'm not sure what it was like before that. But when I remember things getting out of hand, it was because someone clearly was not being honest. I think someone even added up all of that guy's time for one day and it was more than 24 hours. And it was like that for multiple days.

I recall a lot of us just being mystified at *why* someone would even care enough about this to lie about it. I mean, it's only been in the last couple of years where we have even had sponsors. Before that, it was just donated prizes from challenge participants. But anyway, that's why we now emphasize that this is the October Horror Movie Challenge; it's not a contest.
Old 10-07-11, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

List of G-Rated Horror Movies?
Old 10-07-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

List of G-Rated Horror Movies?
Use the advanced search function at IMDB for a complete list. I know Trevor posted a link to that somewhere in this monster thread.
Old 10-07-11, 04:10 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Ugh. That's twice I intended to pull an all-nighter and puckered out around 2 AM. Still, it was an extremely enjoyable first day and finished it with a new favorite, Santa Sangre.
I can relate! I am lucky enough to get back to back days off from work so had planned on utilizing them to pull off all nighters. It worked out for the most part on the 1st...but last night I had tapped out after 3 movies. I was going to try for it again tonight but I'm having second thoughts!

It's all about time management! I don't find it too hard to squeeze 3 or 4 films on a day I have work as long as they aren't too long and I watch one at midnight to start off and then give up my social life on at least one of my days off during the week to watch somewhere around 10! However I have to be careful not to put off watching longer films for the sake of numbers. I made that mistake with the drive in challenge...I watched well over 100 but towards the end I found myself forcing movies just to finish the checklist (I didnt finish it btw). I lost sight of the real point of these challenges.

Originally Posted by Trevor
As for the multi-tasking, my rule is that no other sounds can interrupt my viewing. So no conversations, music, phone calls, or the like can be happening to "count" a film (I rewind/pause a film if I miss a word); but occasional light distractions like glancing at my email or updating my list are okay, as long as I maintain primary concentration on the film).
I couldn't agree more with this...I think another important thing is our love for the genre and the genre itself. I've tried several challenges and with the exception of the Drive In Challenge I have had trouble breaking out of the twenties. But with these genre films I have no trouble watching one after another as long as I have the time! For me even a bad horror movie is usually still enjoyable on some level. And while I love epic westerns, for example, I find it draining to watch more than one in a day. On the other hand I could watch four Friday the 13th films (which I also love) with little problem. These movies carry less baggage and are more like roller coaster rides than long hikes, both very enjoyable but just try taking 4 long hikes in one day!!...if that analogy makes any sense in this context!

...on a final note I'm typing all this while watching The Mummy (1959)...I've had to pause 3 times! If nothing else this discussion has made me hyper sensitive of falling into the habit of background watching!!
Old 10-07-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Before that, it was just donated prizes from challenge participants.
Yeah, that was before we had "official" sponsors and I was asking anyone that could to donate something. That was probably bad idea #2 as a couple of people never followed through with that. Not to mention my contribution of donating a $25 Amazon GC was probably not the brightest idea looking back in retrospect.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.