Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-11, 08:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
ugh. some friends dropped by and interrupted my HALLOWEEN series marathon. it's okay though because they brought pizza and beer and we watched NEAR DARK. the OCD in me is pissed however. oh well. what are you going to do? hope everyone had a good first day.
Well, obviously you have to start over at the beginning of the first film. And lock the door this time.
Old 10-01-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I'm getting impatient waiting for my next movie. I had a friend who specifically requested to see Destroy All Monsters tonight, so my movie watching is on hold until he shows up.
Old 10-01-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Just watched Santa Sangre; how is this a horror movie? It's bizarre and surreal, but if this is horror, then so are the films of David Lynch and Pedro Almodovar. For that matter, so is The World According to Garp. The Ellen Jamesians are just as mutilated and crazy as the armless cult.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-01-11 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-01-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Well, obviously you have to start over at the beginning of the first film. And lock the door this time.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'm getting impatient waiting for my next movie. I had a friend who specifically requested to see Destroy All Monsters tonight, so my movie watching is on hold until he shows up.
I'm in the same boat. I have one friend here now, and we're in a holding pattern while we wait for one more. Getting impatient ...

Originally Posted by Gobear
Just watched Santa Sangre? How is this a horror movie? It's bizarre and surreal, but if this is horror, then so are the films of David Lynch, Luis Bunuel and Pedro Almodovar.
You know, looking through my collection, I was seriously considering Blue Velvet. I had a friend say I should be able to include Inland Empire as well. Haven't seen that one yet, so I can speak about that one. Blue Velvet is seriously twisted, though, and Frank Booth is certainly a frightening figure. People include Silence of the Lambs, why not Manhunter?
Old 10-01-11, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently watching Do You Like Hitchcock? and it is absolutely horrible right now. My Argento night isn't looking too good, minus Suspiria and Inferno.
Old 10-01-11, 09:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Just watched Santa Sangre; how is this a horror movie? It's bizarre and surreal, but if this is horror, then so are the films of David Lynch and Pedro Almodovar.
Isn't it called a horror film in every reference site and article ever written about it? And make many lists of best horror films of all time?

I kind of see the point you're trying to make, as it does have a lot in common with surreal films, seems Lynch-ish, and perhaps goes well beyone most horror films in some aspects. But it seemed horror all the way as I watched it for the first time today.
Old 10-01-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang

I'm in the same boat. I have one friend here now, and we're in a holding pattern while we wait for one more. Getting impatient ...

You know, looking through my collection, I was seriously considering Blue Velvet. I had a friend say I should be able to include Inland Empire as well. Haven't seen that one yet, so I can speak about that one. Blue Velvet is seriously twisted, though, and Frank Booth is certainly a frightening figure. People include Silence of the Lambs, why not Manhunter?
People can watch what they please, but IMO, speaking just for me, a horror movie needs to have monsters, preferably of supernatural origin, e.g., vampires, zombies, werewolves, mummies. Surrealism is not horror; Dada is not horror; crime films are not horror. Silence of the Lambs has some disturbing moments, but it is not, in my mind, a horror film. Rosemary's Baby has no violence and no special effects, but it is a horror film because of its subject matter, Satan raping a woman to father the Antichrist. Horror films deal with supernatural evil, or with horrific human monsters, like Jack the Ripper or Ed Gein. Just, IMO, Fenix's murder spree doesn't count, otherwise you would have to include every film about murderers, which would water down the definition so much as to make it meaningless. Tonight's Doctor Who shows a man being eaten by skulls, but that does not make Doctor Who horror television.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-01-11 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-01-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

People can watch what they please, but IMO, speaking just for me, a horror movie needs to have monsters, preferably of supernatural origin, e.g., vampires, zombies, werewolves, mummies. Surrealism is not horror; Dada is not horror; crime films are not horror. Silence of the Lambs has some disturbing moments, but it is not, in my mind, a horror film. Rosemary's Baby has no violence and no special effects, but it is a horror film because of its subject matter, Satan raping a woman to father the Antichrist. Horror films deal with supernatural evil, or with horrific human monsters, like Jack the Ripper or Ed Gein. Just, IMO, Fenix's murder spree doesn't count, otherwise you would have to include every film about murderers, which would water down the definition so much as to make it meaningless. Tonight's Doctor Who shows a man being eaten by skulls, but that does not make Doctor Who horror television.
My definition of horror is broader than yours, but I see your points. I think a lot has to do with how the film was made and the director's intent. I think we all start to stretch the definition of horror more than normal during October to try to give ourselves more viewing options.
Old 10-01-11, 10:08 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

tonight's pairing: Dogfish Head Punkin Ale and Maniac on blu-ray. can't wait until Wednesday and Thursday for my days off and get a chance to catchup.
Old 10-01-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

A question for onebyone; Was the Subspecies bluray worth it to buy? I have the 3 movie Subspecies set that was recently released. The first movie looked very washed out to me. Is the bluray any better quality or is it more of the same as the standard version DVD?
Old 10-01-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Tonight's Doctor Who shows a man being eaten by skulls, but that does not make Doctor Who horror television.
I dunno; the Silence are pretty horrific.

Anyway, just finished The Halloween Tree, so I guess today was a Bradbury twofer, more or less. It's been years since I watched it and I found myself fidgeting in a few spots, but it mostly holds up.
Old 10-01-11, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JOE29
A question for onebyone; Was the Subspecies bluray worth it to buy? I have the 3 movie Subspecies set that was recently released. The first movie looked very washed out to me. Is the bluray any better quality or is it more of the same as the standard version DVD?
I was wary of getting it because of some "it's alright" reviews. However, my love of the movie made it very hard to resist, and I thankfully caved right in time for the challenge. The blu, while not perfect, is much, much, much better than the standard version DVD in both sound and picture. This was definitely one of the upgrades that had me saying to myself "Wow I cannot believe how much better this looks!" over and over while watching it, as opposed to "This is an upgrade to the DVD????"

Just finished with my day one horror viewings, and the challenge is off to a good start. The highlight was definitely the new and improved Subspecies.
Old 10-01-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Well, Day 1 is in the books for me. Managed to sneak in 4 thanks to some pretty short running times. Not bad considering that I worked until 4pm. Tomorrow's a shorter work day, so we'll see what that brings.
Old 10-01-11, 11:08 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm happy with getting through the first 4 Final Destinations in one day. I may even have time to squeeze in one more.
Old 10-02-11, 12:01 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Frogs was better than I expected, it might have worked out less campy but the reptiles just seem unmenacing like they dom't have any idea somone is running in terror so it's off.

Trolls 2 got lost in fantasy non-sense but was on the verge of being surreal. My 3 year old got a glimpse of a goblin and it scared her. It was at least good for PG13 and monster movie checklist items.

I am glad Cronenberg made it to the check-list, he's got a lot of quality stuff out there. First time viewing of Scanners (which although listed as horror on imdb is not really) was amazing. I'm going to carry over to tomorrow's theme with a Cronenberg double feature pairing with Rabid. I wonder if Shivers is worth hunting down at an oop premium.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-02-11 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-02-11, 12:07 AM

We're going through the Blind Dead films right now and I kind of feel bad for not liking them as much as I feel I should. The Knights are creepy looking, and the situations that occur in the plots, especially the second one, would seem like they'd be right up my alley, but I'm finding myself being only moderately entertained by them. I'm wondering if it's because of years of hyping myself up for them, or it's just that I'm watching them at a bad time since I've been feeling drowsy for a few hours now. I'll have to revisit them later on to make sure.
Old 10-02-11, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a fairly good day i wanted to watch more but was exhausted all day. highs was The Orphanage and The Ring lows was the last act in children of the corn and colin.
Old 10-02-11, 12:11 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Regarding yesterday's "cult horror" theme I may be missing the idea but isn't it a contradiction since most horror movies are so eccentric and dark the majority are considered cult by their nature?
Old 10-02-11, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Finished up my day with The Haunted Cop Shop. Man the Eighties really were a golden age for horror comedies in Hong Kong. This was the first movie Jeff Lau directed.
Old 10-02-11, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Frogs was better than I expected, it might have worked out less campy but the reptiles just seem unmenacing like they dom't have any idea somone is running in terror so it's off.

Trolls 2 got lost in fantasy non-sense but was on the verge of being surreal. My 3 year old got a glimpse of a goblin and it scared her. It was at least good for PG13 and monster movie checklist items.

I am glad Cronenberg made it to the check-list, he's got a lot of quality stuff out there. First time viewing of Scanners (which although listed as horror on imdb is not really) was amazing. I'm going to carry over to tomorrow's theme with a Cronenberg double feature pairing with Rabid. I wonder if Shivers is worth hunting down at an oop premium.
There's a good documentary about Troll 2 called Best Worst Movie. It's worth checking out. I haven't heard it yet, but I'm betting the Rifftrax for Troll 2 would be worth checking out as well.
Old 10-02-11, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by dcrw6
We're going through the Blind Dead films right now and I kind of feel bad for not liking them as much as I feel I should. The Knights are creepy looking, and the situations that occur in the plots, especially the second one, would seem like they'd be right up my alley, but I'm finding myself being only moderately entertained by them. I'm wondering if it's because of years of hyping myself up for them, or it's just that I'm watching them at a bad time since I've been feeling drowsy for a few hours now. I'll have to revisit them later on to make sure.
Don't feel too bad. The first year I participated in the challenge I went out and bought the box set, I figured I would love the series. As hard as I tried they bored the shit out of me. I just couldn't help it. My wife loves older horror movies and she couldn't get into them either.
Old 10-02-11, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyvillager
Question for you all, could Peter Weir's The Last Wave be considered horror or will I need to wildcard it?
Nah, it's an easy horror in my book. And a wonderfully creepy movie (especially for watching during a heavy rainstorm).

I don't remember anyone really being a "genre policeman" in these challenges - though I wouldn't be surprised if anyone was, especially during one of the earlier more contentious challenges. Movies with horror-elements (like with anything supernatural, monsters, serial killers) get counted without much complaint, regardless of whether "officially" they're listed as horror at places like imdb.
Old 10-02-11, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Regarding yesterday's "cult horror" theme I may be missing the idea but isn't it a contradiction since most horror movies are so eccentric and dark the majority are considered cult by their nature?
I took it as meaning horror movies involving cults, but I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Now that I've taken a second look at the given examples, it looks like I've misinterpreted it. I guess we're talking about horror films less known by mainstream audiences but have followings among the hardcore horror enthusiasts.

Last edited by nezumi; 10-02-11 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-02-11, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, people are watching the Blind Dead series and not enjoying it??? I've heard them called overrated any things like that but to be honest I don't think I've ever heard of people not liking them. I love the series, even part 3 which is by far the weakest but still has incredible atmosphere, like all the others. I hope subsequent viewings will be better.
Old 10-02-11, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can I say that [*REC] totally kicks ass? I watched it the first time after I saw the US remake, Quarantine, and although the remake was OK, the difference between the 2 films is like night and day for me, even though they are shot-for-shot identical. I think it's because the Spanish actress playing the TV presenter is a better actress than the American, and IMO the Spanish script gets the audience more involved with the characters so that we care what happens to them.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-02-11 at 04:54 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.