Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11, 08:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Cool Ghoul
For thouse who liked [REC] I highly recommend [REC] 2. I really liked where they went with it.
Same here. Not quite as good as the original, but so far it's my favorite of my new viewings this month. I also appreciated that it was a genuine sequel, rather than one of those that barely shares anything with its predecessor beyond a title and basic premise.

Originally Posted by mhg83
Mimic was just as awesome as when i saw it in theaters. This was the Directors cut on blu.
Ooh, I was just trying to figure out what to watch next tonight. That'll be the one!
Old 10-02-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Slither is so underrated. Watched it today. So much fun!

I love how clearly it wears it's influences on it's sleeve. Everything from Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, to Society to (obviously) Night of the Creeps.
Old 10-02-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

It! (1967) and that's it, for today.
Old 10-02-11, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, my first movie for the challenge was the new Nightmare on Elm Street remake. I didn't have high hopes for this one after reading all the hate for the movie in this thread, but the originals are some of my favorite movies so I gave this one a spin. Taken on it's own it might have been a decent horror flick, but Robert Englund has been there and done that...and done it so much better. In my mind, there is no one else that can play Freddy. I own all the orignal movies on DVD including Freddy vs. Jason (which I still haven't watched yet), but I am glad I just rented this one and I don't think I will be adding it to my collection.
Old 10-02-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore

I love how clearly it wears it's influences on it's sleeve. Everything from Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, to Society to (obviously) Night of the Creeps.
i'd say the most obvious influence is SHIVERS - regardless i love the movie
Old 10-02-11, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Caught this one last year for the first time and really enjoyed it.
Old 10-02-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Caught this one last year for the first time and really enjoyed it.
I'm glad! It's one of the reasons why I'm happy I kept my HD-DVD player around

Also any film that finds a way to sneak Frank Henenlotter's name in it is good in my book!

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i'd say the most obvious influence is SHIVERS - regardless i love the movie
I'm not sure why I didn't list that as one of the influences. It should have been on my mind the minute the bathtub scene reared it's head.

On a random note, I convinced one of my best friends (who loves Horror) to sign up for DVDTalk just to participate in this Challenge
Old 10-02-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just finished The Killer Shrews, and now, seeing as I watched the first NOES yesterday, time for Freddy's Revenge now.
Old 10-02-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Palpadious
Are any of the free Roku channels good for the old Universal Monster movies?
YouTube has Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolf Man and probably a few others. While they are divided into 7 or 8 parts, you can always hit the 'play all' button.
Old 10-02-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the way this Challenge makes me feel like I've had a productive weekend, even though all I've done is sit on the couch and watch movies. I'm managing to bang out a cool 21 this weekend, though most have been in the 60-75 minute range.
Old 10-02-11, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Ghoul
Also watched "Scalps", which was damn near unwatchable. I meant to watch this for last years challenge and just never got around to it. Horrorhound had this one listed in the “Top 20 Most Underrated Slashers” but I have no idea how. They must have run out of titles as it is listed as number 20.
I watched it last year and liked it. I learned that Fred Olen Ray intended it to be cut differently, but the studio took it upon themselves to doctor it. I suspect I'd have much preferred his intended sequence, but I liked what was released well enough.

One of the things that helped my enjoyment was that it was #34 on my list, so by that point I was well acclimated to the B-movie milieu. It's hard to start off with something like that and get into the right mood. Everyone's different, of course, but I find I need to start off with the Horror Challenge with pretty straightforward, contemporary material before working my way into the vaults. Otherwise, the cheesy stuff just seems awful instead of fun.

We missed out on Day #1, but got underway tonight with 28 Days Later. It was my second viewing and first time in a few years. Nice, taut story but of course this time I kept thinking of how The Walking Dead retold the same basic story but dragged it out. I noted to my wife that they did in 13 minutes effectively what it took The Walking Dead half of a pilot episode to tell. Still, Cillian Murphy is compelling to watch and the final act involving the soldiers--while not entirely Horror--is truly suspenseful.

Note: Christopher Eccleston is not, in fact, a young Ralph Fiennes. (He should be, though.)
Old 10-02-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I lost out on some valuable time today. I had to go to dinner at my parents' house. That ended up costing me a few hours. Got home and anticipated watching the last 30 minutes of a movie I had going on Netflix and realized the Internet wasn't working. I tried to get it working but couldn't. So, I started watching something on my DVR, but the Internet just kept bothering me! I kept trying to troubleshoot it, finally called Time Warner Cable and shockingly () failed to get anyone who could really help me.

But luckily, I finally got the Internet back working! Hooray! But now I've got about 30 minutes left in the other movie I started. I guess I'll just finish that one first and then get back to the other one. I was hoping to fit in tonight's episode of Dexter and a Netflix disc, but after all the networking problems, I don't think that's going to happen. We'll see how much I want to push my lack of sleep (and the storage capacity of my DVR), though.

+1

Watched that for one of the previous Challenges and I enjoyed it!
I did as well. Kinski was typically creepy.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
There's also Snow White: A Tale of Terror (TV 1997), also for HBO I believe. This is excellent and highly recommended. Very dark telling of Snow White. I'm planning on watching this one for that item.
Thinking back, I think it came out on Showtime. I could be wrong, though. Regardless, I remember liking the movie and especially Sigourney Weaver's performance in it.
Old 10-02-11, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

with watching rec today i will probally watch its sequel tomorrow, but Quarantine being basically a shot for shot remake * i did enjoy it tho* is its sequel comparable to rec2 or does it stand on its own?

also ended with 11 this weekend with blood junkie. its a troma releasing and surprisingly was very enjoyable. had an awesome 80s feel to it. def worth checking out if you like your cheese
Old 10-02-11, 11:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Nope, Quarantine 2 is not a thing at all like [REC]2. It's a loose sequel to Quarantine, rather than a remake of anything else.

Speaking of remakes, finishing the weekend up with The Crazies (2010).
Old 10-02-11, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im a huge Romero fan but The Crazies is one of the few remakes better then the original. I just couldnt get into it, but do plan on revisiting it this month for a second chance.

edit:
and thank you for the answer imma have to watch both sequels today
Old 10-02-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like both version of The Crazies. I thought the remake was really good.

And all of you people talking about REC are getting me anxious! I ordered the Canadian Blu-ray set and am waiting for it to arrive. I plan on revisiting it this month, but I need for it to get to me first. Argh!

Last edited by clckworang; 10-03-11 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-03-11, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

About to watch The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue on Blu-Ray. I love this film and I've yet to watch the Blu-Ray copy of it I bought over a year ago
Old 10-03-11, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

About to watch The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue on Blu-Ray. I love this film and I've yet to watch the Blu-Ray copy of it I bought over a year ago
Great movie and BD.
Old 10-03-11, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Watching the 1999 Korean remake The Ring Virus is very surreal if you've seen all the other movies. The plot carefully parallels the original Ringu (and US remake) but there are some minor adaptations. All together I can't think of a mythos more contradictory and random than The Ring (which is not a reflection of the Korean piece, more the j-horror bunch).

It turns out Piranha (1978) is an enjoyable diversion and that the remake (2010) is more of a sequel with minor plot similarity. You can't go wrong with plastic fish and college kids randomly spasming to indicate demise.

[Rec] is a masterpiece, good suspense with logical but unpredictable progression. The ending setting does a good job of taking the plot into a new direction while ratcheting up the suspense.

I also caught a first time viewing of The Last Man On Earth and was amazed by how lonely and isolated the themes come across. Great use of flashbacks. It's mind boggling that decades later someone throught it would be a good idea to adapt the same source into something with Will Smith and bad CGI.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-03-11 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-03-11, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Redbox carries [Rec] 2; how did that happen?
Old 10-03-11, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone else waiting for some bigger price drops on some titles you want specifically for the challenge? I've got my eye on some Blu-rays: Halloween 2, The Blood Trilogy, Basket Case, Hellraiser 2 and Santa Sangre, to a lesser extent.

I would even be up for some good deals on the first two Friday the 13th movies. In fact, I'm tempted by the Wal-Mart price of $13 with Paranormal Activity 3 movie money. Once again, I know I'm just being anxious and should be patient. After all, we are only a few days into October. I'm hoping we end up seeing some good deals in the next couple of weeks.
Old 10-03-11, 01:51 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Redbox carries [Rec] 2; how did that happen?
It seems that some people on Redbox's website were shocked by this as well...
http://i.imgur.com/yNT9x.png

Originally Posted by clckworang
Anyone else waiting for some bigger price drops on some titles you want specifically for the challenge? I've got my eye on some Blu-rays: Halloween 2, The Blood Trilogy, Basket Case, Hellraiser 2 and Santa Sangre, to a lesser extent.
I'm definitely in the same boat, but am almost at the point where I can't wait any longer. I'm also really forward to Basket Case, as well as Dead Alive. They are really cheap, but I wonder if they'll go down any further? I did recently buy Grindhouse, however.
Old 10-03-11, 01:59 AM

This challenge always throws me for a loop. I watched Carriers today, getting it in for the "infected" theme of the day, which was great, showing how much you can accomplish with only a little. Then I watched Splinter which was fairly average, except for the enraging shaky cam obscuring everything and the constant stupid decisions the characters made. After those two, I felt seized by the push to try even harder in my film career. One showed me how good a film can be and the other showed how easy it could be to do better. Some may or not know, but I graduated recently with a film degree and have been struggling with getting any kind of work to keep my family afloat through some rather serious health issues at the moment. Such issues have sidelined my efforts and diverted my attention to trying to get my own films made, but after watching those two, I think I got the kick in the pants I needed to start going after them again. So if my participation slackens, at least it's out of a good thing this challenge has actually helped me find.

I also watched a VHS I have of a movie called The Vagrant starring Bill Paxton which was just absolutely hilarious. I can't even begin to describe how crazy and enjoyable this was. It's a damn shame it's not on dvd as of yet. Hopefully it'll at the very least get a MOD release someday.

Last movie we just watched was Marebito, which I am absolutely convinced that when Shimizu isn't making Grudge movies, he's a genius. This one might not be for many, and the ending loses a lot the movie had built up, but it was more successful at portraying Lovecraftian ideas and themes than just about any other attempt in film.

Just started up Visiting Hours which I guess will take us into the third day. Definitely having a more experimental and interesting challenge than in years before.
Old 10-03-11, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by cwileyy
It seems that some people on Redbox's website were shocked by this as well...
http://i.imgur.com/yNT9x.png
It's shit like this that sometimes makes me wish for a giant meteor to hit.
Old 10-03-11, 02:25 AM

Shit. I totally forgot that it was October somehow. I just settled in to watch a movie and realized that I had missed the first two days already. I just moved and in the stress and confusion I blanked out on this. Oh well, guess I just have some catching up to do.

I spent a couple hours yesterday at the opening of the new exhibit at the EMP in Seattle, Can't Look Away:The Lure of the Horror Film. Went with my girlfriend in an attempt to get her to watch some with me. She hates horror, but was really into the exhibit so maybe I have a chance, or maybe she'll be spending a lot of time alone this month.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.