Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by takingchase
Chromeskull: Laid to rest 2 was pretty disappointing. Aside from the gore being top notch the rest of the movie was pretty much a turd.
So was it boring compared to the first film? Even though the first film had flaws, I loved it warts and all.

Finished watching Land of the Dead. I've always liked this film but I still think the Big Daddy concept is a bit corny. I liked Bub in Day of the Dead though
Old 10-10-11, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by asianxcore
So was it boring compared to the first film? Even though the first film had flaws, I loved it warts and all.

Finished watching Land of the Dead. I've always liked this film but I still think the Big Daddy concept is a bit corny. I liked Bub in Day of the Dead though
Yes it was much more boring. I enjoyed the first one, it showed a lot of promise. This one takes so much time to try and explain why this is happening without ever actually giving us answer's if that makes sense. There are just so many pointless subplots that never go anywhere and are just plain boring. When you do see gore it's top notch, better than the first. It's worth it to watch it for the kills but while I enjoy revisiting the first I don't think I'll plan on watching this one again any time soon.
Old 10-10-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I wouldn't since Golems are made through magic and Frankenstein's monster is made through dead bodies and science.
Yeah, I get those differences. I guess my main argument for why it could be included has more to do with its clear influence on the 1931 Frankenstein.
Old 10-10-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Has no one seen this? If not, do yourself a favor and see it. Also I will take a lack of response as a yes to the posed question.
Otis was ok. Thought it would be better from the previews. But I think it does fall into the thing you talked about.

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I would go for that. It'd be nice to drop in and suggest films or tv or whatever horror pops into our minds. I guess we could set up a fb group for the same purpose, but those seem to go to archive afterlife, and no anonymity.
I'd be down for that. I usually stick to mainly horror anyways besides old school comedy, so I'm all up for it.

As for today, finally getting around to I Spit on Your Grave the original as well as the original Rear Window and Fright Night.
Old 10-10-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Sauna was an interesting pick for the daily films. I just got finished with it. I'm looking forward to the discussion, so people can explain it all to me.
Old 10-10-11, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At some point, and time this month I will be watching Ms. 45. Imdb doesn't classify it as horror ; so is this title allowable during the Horror Challenge?
Old 10-10-11, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 3onameathook
At some point, and time this month I will be watching Ms. 45. Imdb doesn't classify it as horror ; so is this title allowable during the Horror Challenge?
Isn't Ms. 45 an Exploitation film?
Old 10-10-11, 10:43 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3onameathook
I'm sure you can use it as a wild card, I'm going to watch the Exterminator for one.
Old 10-10-11, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Isn't Ms. 45 an Exploitation film?

Yes Ms. 45 is exploitation
Old 10-10-11, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I watched both a couple Challenges ago and got on a J&H kick. Found about 20 different film versions of it and tried to track them all down.
That sounds like quite a task! I would not be adverse to checking out some other versions. A friend really sold the 2007 BBC "Jekyll" which she said was one her favorites. Hopefully, I will find the time to look into that and others over the next few weeks!
Old 10-10-11, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

The wife and I had a friend over today/tonight, so we subjected her to my challenge picks. We went with the Amityville remake so she could enjoy some unnecessarily shirtless Ryan Reynolds to start with. Then, I introduced her to Slither, one of my favorites. We wrapped it up with Scream 4, another first-tie viewing for her. It was a good day and made me wish we could have company over more often.

On a side note...is anyone else getting much less sleep than usual this month? I can't recall the last time I was asleep before 1am this month and that is extremely unusual for me.
Old 10-11-11, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
so she could enjoy some unnecessarily shirtless Ryan Reynolds to start with.
Au contraire, all Ryan Reynolds shirtlessness is necessary and indeed should be mandatory in every film. Pantslessness would also work.
On a side note...is anyone else getting much less sleep than usual this month? I can't recall the last time I was asleep before 1am this month and that is extremely unusual for me.
I'm in that boat. I find I stay up late and watch 1 or 2 movies (depending on length) before bed, then fit more in after I get home.
Old 10-11-11, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by takingchase
Yes it was much more boring. I enjoyed the first one, it showed a lot of promise. This one takes so much time to try and explain why this is happening without ever actually giving us answer's if that makes sense. There are just so many pointless subplots that never go anywhere and are just plain boring. When you do see gore it's top notch, better than the first. It's worth it to watch it for the kills but while I enjoy revisiting the first I don't think I'll plan on watching this one again any time soon.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll probably check out the film later this week.
Old 10-11-11, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cabin Fever and Cabin Fever 2 for the first time. Loved the first one but always heard part 2 was really bad since Roth had nothing to do with it.
Old 10-11-11, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Cabin Fever and Cabin Fever 2 for the first time. Loved the first one but always heard part 2 was really bad since Roth had nothing to do with it.
I thought Cabin Fever 2 worked well; not a classic but worth a watching. It was written/directed by Ti West, famous for House of the Devil (2009) and to a lesser extent indie The Roost (2005), who iirc was hand selected by Roth. I'd take Ti West over Eli Roth any day. If I can squeeze it in I'll have to re-watch Cabin Fever 1 but I do not recall it as fondly.

Edit: Errr... it seems Ti West disowned Cabin Fever 2 and fought unsuccessfully to have his name removed from credits. Spoiler for length...
Spoiler:
After extensive re-editing and re-shooting by the producers, writer/director Ti West requested to have his name removed from the film and replaced with the popular pseudonym Alan Smithee. Since he was not a member of the DGA his request was denied by the producers and he remains credited as the film's director. West has since disowned the final product claiming that it is more a product of the producers and executives than that of his own. It is unknown if there will ever be a "directors cut" released featuring West's original vision.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-11-11 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-11-11, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tonight I watched Bride of Re-animator and
Vampyres on vhs in their R rated versions.

I only saw Bride once in unrated form when it was first released. So it was fun to revisit it finally, and I pretty much had forgotten everything about it. It's still a far cry from the original film, but definitely better than the third film which was pretty bad except for one amusing moment during the end credits. The R version is pretty gruesome overall, despite the film never being as gory as the first film. It's still interesting to see what was left in considering how strict the mpaa was at the time on horror and gore in general.

Vampyres I had seen once before nearly 10 years ago on the unrated vhs from Magnum. So it was interesting to find the R version which I never knew existed on video. So some info, this version ran 82 minutes. I can't remember the details of the unrated version too much. But I could tell that the opening scene was heavily cut, and also the lesbian sex scene that begins in the shower was completely cut out, though we see the opening few seconds with some dialogue before an abrupt cut. The violent moments which aren't many didn't seem 'that' tampered with to myself. Though some cuts were evident, the scenes were still pretty explicit, and I expected the scenes to be cut more than they were. There was still some nudity including very fleeting glimpse of full frontal left in the film though most sex scenes had abrupt cuts in them that I'm sure stuff was missing. So overall, the uncut version is the one to view since the film is pretty much a waste of time otherwise. But it was interesting to see this version once.

And the only way to tell the two Magnum versions apart is the rated has a big R logo on the cover, and the tape itself has a white label with the title in black. The unrated version has 'original uncut classic' on the cover, and the tape has a black label with the title in white based on the copies I see listed on Ebay. I know uncut dvd and blu-rays exist of the film, but it's interesting trivia to know about the home video releases for those who care
Old 10-11-11, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I thought Cabin Fever 2 worked well; not a classic but worth a watching. It was written/directed by Ti West, famous for House of the Devil (2009) and to a lesser extent indie The Roost (2005), who iirc was hand selected by Roth. I'd take Ti West over Eli Roth any day. If I can squeeze it in I'll have to re-watch Cabin Fever 1 but I do not recall it as fondly.

Edit: Errr... it seems Ti West disowned Cabin Fever 2 and fought unsuccessfully to have his name removed from credits. Spoiler for length...
Spoiler:
After extensive re-editing and re-shooting by the producers, writer/director Ti West requested to have his name removed from the film and replaced with the popular pseudonym Alan Smithee. Since he was not a member of the DGA his request was denied by the producers and he remains credited as the film's director. West has since disowned the final product claiming that it is more a product of the producers and executives than that of his own. It is unknown if there will ever be a "directors cut" released featuring West's original vision.
I think Roth did a bang up job with Cabin Fever, seeing it is, I believe, his first film. As for part 2, it was ok, but some parts were just over the top and not believable. It wasn't AS bad as what the reviews said, but it could have been better. Now the question is, how did the producers mess with his work?
Old 10-11-11, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gobear
Au contraire, all Ryan Reynolds shirtlessness is necessary and indeed should be mandatory in every film. Pantslessness would also work.

I'm in that boat. I find I stay up late and watch 1 or 2 movies (depending on length) before bed, then fit more in after I get home.
We should have had a drinking game every time his shirt came off,lol.

On my work days, I can't watch anything before work. So, I have to try and sneak in as many as possible once I get home. Instead of dicking around on the computer, I generally get dinner ready for my son and I and then its right off to the living room for movie time. Aside from not sleeping much, I'm investing quite a bit of money into Dunkin Donuts and 5 Hour Energy.
Old 10-11-11, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

found this and thought you guys might like it...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CUFlHkbgGRc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-11-11, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for those who plan on seeing THE THING in theaters...are you going to watch Carpenter's before or afterwards?
Old 10-11-11, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
for those who plan on seeing THE THING in theaters...are you going to watch Carpenter's before or afterwards?
I'll be watching Carpenter's after the new one. That's been my plan for a while now anyway.
Old 10-11-11, 05:01 AM

The wife and I had a friend over today/tonight, so we subjected her to my challenge picks. We went with the Amityville remake so she could enjoy some unnecessarily shirtless Ryan Reynolds to start with. Then, I introduced her to Slither, one of my favorites. We wrapped it up with Scream 4, another first-tie viewing for her. It was a good day and made me wish we could have company over more often.

I'm getting less sleep than usual for sure. Finding myself willing to stay up and cram other movies into my day instead of coveting sleep the way I usually do.

It's good that your wife doesn't mind watching horror movies. Those picks are some of the horror movies that I keep set off to the side for people who don't usually watch horror, because they seem to play better to a non-horror fan audience. I can usually get people to sit and watch the "Scream" flicks with me.

I also agree with Gobear that shirtless Ryan Reynolds is essential to the plot of that film.
Old 10-11-11, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I'm getting less sleep than usual for sure. Finding myself willing to stay up and cram other movies into my day instead of coveting sleep the way I usually do.

It's good that your wife doesn't mind watching horror movies. Those picks are some of the horror movies that I keep set off to the side for people who don't usually watch horror, because they seem to play better to a non-horror fan audience. I can usually get people to sit and watch the "Scream" flicks with me.

I also agree with Gobear that shirtless Ryan Reynolds is essential to the plot of that film.
The wife watches most stuff with me. I tend to watch the stuff that I know she won't be into while she's at work. If I am watching something with her and she's not enjoying it, she'll just stop paying attention.
Old 10-11-11, 07:11 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

The wife watches most stuff with me. I tend to watch the stuff that I know she won't be into while she's at work. If I am watching something with her and she's not enjoying it, she'll just stop paying attention.
Same here. My wife just doesn't like all the slasher/blood & guts movies, so I usually knock those out in the morning before I go to bed or first thing when I get home from work while she is doing other stuff. She prefers the more psychological thriller/horror movies instead

As for the sleep aspect, I'm definitely seeing less of it too and the dog is definitely getting shorter walks LOL
Old 10-11-11, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
I'm planning on watching both Carpenter's remake and the original the night before.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.