Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
OK, I need a ruling on the "takes place on or under the sea" item on the Checklist. I've already watched NOSFERATU THE VAMPIRE a substantial portion of which takes place on the sea. I also plan to watch CREATURE OF THE BLACK LAGOON which technically doesn't take place on "the sea" (it's in a lagoon) but does take place on a body of water. So do these films qualify for the Sea checklist item?
I'd vote *yes* for Creature from the Black Lagoon solely based on its aquatic venue, even though it's not technically "the sea".

I've not seen Nosferatu the Vampire yet... it's on my list for later today... maybe...
Old 10-09-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by clckworang
Last night, we watched The Birds. I had an HD recording from Cinemax that I had saved. It looked really good; I can't wait for the Blu-ray.
Has there been any further news on that? Considering it's Universal, I have my doubts.
Old 10-09-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Finished Evil Dead and onto Evil Dead II. Did they change what happened in the first one at the beginning of the second one or did I just completely space on the first one and not notice what they showed in the second one?
From what I recall they didn't have the rights to air footage from the original so they reshot the opening scene and recreated those events in the first 10 or so minutes. And that's why people often mistake the sequel for a remake. Now, why they only had Ash and Linda minus the other three is beyond me.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Would you care to elaborate on which of the images is near impossible to get? I think I've got the bat and blood drops, which were hard.
The two small bats on the red background.
Old 10-09-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'd vote *yes* for Creature from the Black Lagoon solely based on its aquatic venue, even though it's not technically "the sea".

I've not seen Nosferatu the Vampire yet... it's on my list for later today... maybe...
I'd agree on Creature from the Black Lagoon, but I think I'd vote no to Nosferatu.

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Has there been any further news on that? Considering it's Universal, I have my doubts.
No, I don't think so, which is why I couldn't bring myself to delete the recording from my DVR.

Originally Posted by Chad
From what I recall they didn't have the rights to air footage from the original so they reshot the opening scene and recreated those events in the first 10 or so minutes. And that's why people often mistake the sequel for a remake. Now, why they only had Ash and Linda minus the other three is beyond me.
That's how I recall it as well.
Old 10-09-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Finished watching Dagon.

It's been years since I watched this film, but I'm glad to see I still enjoy it as much as my last viewing.

Love the Creature FX and Gore. The scene where
Spoiler:
Ezequiel gets his face skinned off
is pretty gnarly.

Gearing up to watch Shocker next. I think the last time I watched this film, I fell asleep about 15 minutes in

Last edited by asianxcore; 10-09-11 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-09-11, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just come here or send an PM to that person. Hell, if you are wondering about a particular title, others might be interested, too.
I find it a little cumbersome to go through this thread in search of a specific line of thought. How cool would it be to have a separate line of conversation dedicated exclusively to your list, in which you are more or less the moderator?
Old 10-09-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Just finished watching Friday the 13th Part III in 3-D. Might have been a mistake, as my eyes are now fucking killing me. Uggh.
Old 10-09-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

So I'm streaming an HD title last night on Netflix and my Roku player chokes and freezes up requiring a restart ...twice. Cut to earlier this morning and "Fiend Without a Face" freezes up around the 16 min mark while streaming on Hulu Plus. Apparently it a was glitch on Hulu's side as I was finally able to FF through it. Just a few minutes ago I'm streaming "Premonition" on Netflix and the electricity goes out for a few seconds. And it gets better - the electricity has returned, but now I'm getting a 'This title is not currently available. Please Try Again Later' message. The joys of streaming.
Old 10-09-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
So I'm streaming an HD title last night on Netflix and my Roku player chokes and freezes up requiring a restart ...twice. Cut to earlier this morning and "Fiend Without a Face" freezes up around the 16 min mark while streaming on Hulu Plus. Apparently it a was glitch on Hulu's side as I was finally able to FF through it. Just a few minutes ago I'm streaming "Premonition" on Netflix and the electricity goes out for a few seconds. And it gets better - the electricity has returned, but now I'm getting a 'This title is not currently available. Please Try Again Later' message. The joys of streaming.
Haven't you had major equipment problems in previous challenges?

One of my friends who came over Friday night was complaining about how his 1 TB hard drive of movies he has downloaded crashed and he lost everything on it. Your story along with his is why I told him, "That's why I will always continue to buy physical media!" Which isn't to say that I don't stream movies, just that physical media still has its advantages.

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Just finished watching Friday the 13th Part III in 3-D. Might have been a mistake, as my eyes are now fucking killing me. Uggh.
I saved that for the end on the night I watched it because I knew how tired my eyes would be when the movie finished.
Old 10-09-11, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
This kept happening to me when I was watching it at about 3 this morning. I was getting a headache, ended up having to finish it in 2-D.
Old 10-09-11, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Part VI is probably the best sequel of the series, but to get to that you'll have to sit through the awful V. VII (that ending!) isn't very good, but Manhattan is truly laughable. You've got a tough road ahead of you...

Um, wow. V was painful. I ended up pausing it and taking a nap for about an hour before I finished it. Very happy it's over now.
Old 10-09-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For those with Netflix, I just noticed the first season of The Walking Dead is now streaming. I don't know if it has been mentioned yet or not.
Old 10-09-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Snake Woman's Curse was a slow moving revenge movie thick with transparent social commentary. Once things got started it was effective at supernatural paranoia with shadows of the director's Jigoku.

Watched John Carpenter's Vampires yesterday and found James Woods to be the least convincing badass vampire hunter ever. Not as great as I remembered.

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Finished watching Dagon.

It's been years since I watched this film, but I'm glad to see I still enjoy it as much as my last viewing.

Love the Creature FX and Gore.
Dagon is a classic in my book, hugely under-rated film.
Old 10-09-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe Shocker (1989) has an almost 2-hour run time.

First half is solid the second half is awful. In reality this film is just NOES-lite, so I don't get the absurdly long run time. It also makes you cringe how much the film is a product of the times.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Dagon is a classic in my book, hugely under-rated film.
Glad to see it's enjoyed by someone else here

It was one of the first DVDs I bought when I started buying films on DVD a while back.

Last edited by asianxcore; 10-09-11 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-09-11, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by kthnxbai
This kept happening to me when I was watching it at about 3 this morning. I was getting a headache, ended up having to finish it in 2-D.
I've eaten a bunch of Advil since then and my head's still a bit achy. I wanted to stick with the 3-D because my son was desperate to watch it with me that way. Otherwise, I'd have switched it over myself.

Just finished the One Missed Call remake. Not my first time watching it. For some reason, I found it to be much better this time around though. I still need to check out the original at some point.
Old 10-09-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I can't believe Shocker (1989) has an almost 2-hour run time.

First half is solid the second half is awful. In reality this film is just NOES-lite, so I don't get the absurdly long run time. It also makes you cringe how much the film is a product of the times.
It really does go through a massive tonal shift, doesn't it? Fairly intense and serious horror movie to start ... which turns into a total comedy cheesefest. I've seen many horror movies go the other way - start off silly, only to get serious. That's a good strategy ... makes the audience let their guard down. But what Craven did here? I don't think it works.
Old 10-09-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
It really does go through a massive tonal shift, doesn't it? Fairly intense and serious horror movie to start ... which turns into a total comedy cheesefest. I've seen many horror movies go the other way - start off silly, only to get serious. That's a good strategy ... makes the audience let their guard down. But what Craven did here? I don't think it works.
It's definitely a product of the time and Craven desperately wanting to repeat what he did with NOES. It's pretty obvious too! He tried to do the same just last year with My Soul To Take, a film that has many similarities to NOES.

Everything up until the point
Spoiler:
Horace escapes the Electric Chair
is pretty awesome. As you mentioned, everything after that point is a completely cheeseball fest.

Also why did
Spoiler:
Horace have jumper cables in his cell?

Probably going to watch Re-Animator now to clear up my palette after watching that film. Sometime during the challenge I hope to do a Double Feature of Nosferatu/The Phantom Of The Opera

Last edited by asianxcore; 10-09-11 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-09-11, 07:05 PM

Just got done watching Burial Ground and Mirrors 2..I liked both, especially Burial Ground. i can see why so many people love this old school zombie flick. That small kid looked very weird and is strange character.
I enjoyed mirrors 2 more than the first one. Had more splat out gore and seeing Christy Carlson Romano (disney girl) nude for a lengthy scene made it worth while...

Now on to some more horror...
Old 10-09-11, 07:06 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my blu-ray's of Frankenhooker, Maniac Cop, the Bad Seed and Dark Night of the Scarecrow are sitting at my local Post Office and when complaining of no mail today I find tomorrow is also a government holiday, so no mail until Tuesday.
Old 10-09-11, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by bse
my blu-ray's of Frankenhooker, Maniac Cop, the Bad Seed and Dark Night of the Scarecrow are sitting at my local Post Office and when complaining of no mail today I find tomorrow is also a government holiday, so no mail until Tuesday.
That's horrible! Especially because The Bad Seed is such an amazing movie.
Old 10-09-11, 07:54 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks to those who recommended Chan-Wook Park's Thirst earlier in the thread (or was it in the last one?). What an incredible movie! I am a fan of the Therese Raquin story and it was a treat to realize that was such an inspiration.
Old 10-09-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

A short day of viewing for me but it was my David Hess memorial day, here's the short write up.

http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...nge-day-9.html
Old 10-09-11, 09:46 PM

Submitted a trivia answer that includes all 32 films (I think). It was hard to tell with that blood graphic from Blood Thirsty Butchers splattered in a few places.
Old 10-09-11, 09:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
The Mighty Peking Man made you cry? Hopefully I am looking at the wrong date.
Thankfully you were! Although The Mighty Peking Man almost made me cry with laughter. In a good way.

No, today's film is the Japanese 2004 film Premonition. Unless you're in Europe or Newfoundland, then it's yesterday's film.
Old 10-09-11, 11:09 PM

I've watched Bubba Ho-tep several times now and I still don't get it... just feels like it's trying too hard to be zany.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.