Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-11, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by JOE29
Just picked up The Twilight Zone Season 2 today.I'm planning on viewing a few episodes. So how many episodes would equal 1 movie 3 or 4 would you think?
4 - see "THE RULES" section in post #1 of this thread.
Old 10-09-11, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I was looking up horror performances on YouTube, started checking out Christopher Lee's movies, and got hooked on watching him as the founder of Pakistan in Jinnah. Interesting, albeit flawed, film which Lee credits as his greatest performance. It was good to take a break and clear my palate with a sorbet, as it were.

Time for some Japanese horror.
Old 10-09-11, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
4 - see "THE RULES" section in post #1 of this thread.
ok, thank you.
Old 10-09-11, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Watching Gamera Guardian of the Universe with my friend last night got me in the mood for kaiju, so today I think other than the theme movie, I am going to do a kaiju day for my horror.
Old 10-09-11, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the "Hellraiser" sequels have been enjoyable (Pinhead in Space being the least enjoyable of them for me, but even that one had its moments)
Old 10-09-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I need a ruling on the "takes place on or under the sea" item on the Checklist. I've already watched NOSFERATU THE VAMPIRE a substantial portion of which takes place on the sea. I also plan to watch CREATURE OF THE BLACK LAGOON which technically doesn't take place on "the sea" (it's in a lagoon) but does take place on a body of water. So do these films qualify for the Sea checklist item?
Old 10-09-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
All of the "Hellraiser" sequels have been enjoyable (Pinhead in Space being the least enjoyable of them for me, but even that one had its moments)
Although the later Hellraiser sequels abandoned the emphasis on Pinhead I agree that they are worthy because of the hallucinatory imagery and craziness. Hellraiser: Bloodline (in space) suffered a lot of interference in development so is not the film it was written to be (there are some deleted/alternate scenes on YouTube). Hellraiser: Hellseeker is a personal favorite of mine. Out of all the sequels the latest Hellworld seemed to be my least favorite. I've always found it strange to see people dismiss the later Hellraiser sequels when part 2 set the bar so low. Watching all the Hellraisers, save the then oop 3rd, back to back last year was a highlight of my challenge.

Perhaps you've heard the grim future for the Hellraiser franchise with Clive Barker publically disowning the next in development sequel, Hellraiser: Revelations, while there is also development on a remake. It is a shame that so many of the legendary horror franchises are dying from absurd remakes or watered down sequels. A lot of the modern franchises (Saw, Paranormal Activity) lack the personality.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-09-11 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-09-11, 09:30 AM

I enjoyed "Hellseeker" as well. Especially considering that it's the sixth film in a series, it was better than it had any right to be. I hadn't heard that clive Barker denounced the next installment, but it doesn't bode well for the movie. As for the remake...I don't mind a lot of the remakes I've seen, but I'd prefer to see remakes like "I spit on Your Grave" where the filmmakers are remaking a movie that suffered from budget constraints and thus might be improved with a retelling. I just don't see "Hellraiser" as that film.
Old 10-09-11, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be nice to be able to leave a comment on individual lists in the list thread and have a discussion with that person. Such as how did brainee watch Phobia, a movie I've been dying to see? VHS?
Old 10-09-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I'm finding a lot more full length flicks on Youtube this year as opposed to other years including a bunch of 80s gems like House on Sonority Row and The Prowler. No breaks either, which is nice because I'm not a fan of loading up 7-10 individual 10 minute clips. Wanting, like last year, to have the bulk of my list be flicks I've not seen before I'm culling a lot from the public domain stuff in the Internet Achieve and, now, from Youtube horror uploaders.
Old 10-09-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In regards to commenting on other's lists...yes, that would be really nice. I'm always looking for films I've not seen before.

Feel free to share some of your recommendations, especially for 90s and 80s stuff.
Old 10-09-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm the type that cries, or more often just wells up, quite easily. The older I get the more often it happens. Any sort of extreme emotions, good or bad, can affect me. Somehow, I've avoided it this Challenge until now. Spoiler follows, but wow,
Spoiler:
the beginning of today's subset film really hit me hard.
Hopefully this doesn't open my floodgates for the rest of the month.
The Mighty Peking Man made you cry? Hopefully I am looking at the wrong date.
Old 10-09-11, 11:32 AM

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

Does 13 Assassins fall into the horror category? I haven't seen or read much on it other than it's violent and directed by Miike
Old 10-09-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just passed the half-way point to 100 with The Invisible Man (1933). Never noticed before that John Carradine plays the first phone tipster.
Old 10-09-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryKILL
It would be nice to be able to leave a comment on individual lists in the list thread and have a discussion with that person. Such as how did brainee watch Phobia, a movie I've been dying to see? VHS?
Close ... someone with the VHS tape converted it to digital form and uploaded it to a private movie site which I'm a member of.
Old 10-09-11, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Does 13 Assassins fall into the horror category? I haven't seen or read much on it other than it's violent and directed by Miike
Not even remotely horror ... it's a samurai action movie.
Old 10-09-11, 12:04 PM

I think I'm going to take it easy this morning and get a walk in and then maybe some writing. I think my back's killing me from watching every movie in the Frankenstein Legacy set along with a couple of hours. Should be ready to go this afternoon though, which is good since I'm two away from the 50 mark.
Old 10-09-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad

The trivia question...

Just like last year the first question is regarding the banner on the first page. On said banner there are images taken from various horror film posters. Name the 33 movies those images were taken from.

Hints:
1. Two items are not included.
2. Some films have multiple images.
3. Some are taken from the film's foreign poster.
4. There could be a hint of déjà vu.

PM me the answer. I'll keep it open for 48 hours.

And I'm so certain that no one will get them all, I'll throw in a bonus prize for anyone who does.

Again, you're playing for "Maniac Cop" on Blu-ray courtesy of Synapse.

Just a head's up we're nearing the 24 hour mark.

And one more hint:
5. Some images have been slightly altered.

Also, I'm gonna whittle that number down to 32 as one image is damn near impossible to get.
Old 10-09-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's always interesting finding a TV movie for the checklist but this year's was really of note for me. For one, The Spell (1977) stars a young Helen Hunt. For two, it's somewhat of a Carrie ripoff. But two things stick out most:

1) some of the language (errr...I guess) was dubbed out of the replay of his found from THIS Sacramento. I wonder what was deemed okay for 1970s television and not for modern TV. Does this me we are going backwards in society?

2) The premise of this film deals with a "fat" girl being teased and taking out a means of revenge. However, the real horror is that THIS was considered fat in the 70s. When you look at most kids now this gal's weight seems rather light.

Anyway, you can check this flick out. I found it over on Youtube, too.
Old 10-09-11, 12:53 PM

Currently venturing into unknown territory with the Friday the 13th series. Just finished The Final Chapter and now onto A New Beginning. Aside from 1-3, I've only seen New Blood (which I barely remember), the ending of Jason Goes To Hell and Jason X. I'm hoping these get better.
Old 10-09-11, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Part VI is probably the best sequel of the series, but to get to that you'll have to sit through the awful V. VII (that ending!) isn't very good, but Manhattan is truly laughable. You've got a tough road ahead of you...
Old 10-09-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kthnxbai
Currently venturing into unknown territory with the Friday the 13th series. Just finished The Final Chapter and now onto A New Beginning. Aside from 1-3, I've only seen New Blood (which I barely remember), the ending of Jason Goes To Hell and Jason X. I'm hoping these get better.
I'm doing one of those nights when I pick up 7,9, and 10. Going to be hard to sit through the last ones, I know.

Anyone seen My Name is Bruce?
Old 10-09-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

It has been a great weekend, even though the evening have been dominated mostly by movies that I've already seen. Last night, we watched The Birds. I had an HD recording from Cinemax that I had saved. It looked really good; I can't wait for the Blu-ray. We followed that up with Zombieland and Freaks. It's sort of funny about Zombieland. The only way I've ever seen it is outside. Last night we watched it in the back yard, and the previous time I had seen it was at the drive-through.

Originally Posted by brainee
Now I just had a flashback to a flashback to a flashback to the time I was telling a friend about a flashback I had about watching Ghosts of Mars
I apologize. That doesn't sound too good.

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Just finished the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake and, surprisingly, really enjoyed it. Loved the camera work and art direction. It had a nice nightmarish quality.
The remakes just look too slick to me.

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I didn't know the price went up to $20; I only paid $11 for the ISOYG remake the week it came out on DVD at Kmart. I'd spend $20 on it though, since it really was THAT good (I bought the original for $20 back in 2003 and it's still one of my favorite horror movies, which earns me a lot of weird looks when I say it).
Great to have you back! I recorded Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte in HD this year. I'm planning on giving it another viewing this year. I wondered about the I Spit on Your Grave remake. I might try to rent that this month.

Originally Posted by JerryKILL
It would be nice to be able to leave a comment on individual lists in the list thread and have a discussion with that person.
Just come here or send an PM to that person. Hell, if you are wondering about a particular title, others might be interested, too.

All right, time to finally get to it today after sleeping way later than I had planned. Congratulations on all those people already hitting the 50 mark. I'm still lagging a bit behind that pace. I'm almost a third of the way to 100, though.
Old 10-09-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Have you seen Part II? I have a copy, but haven't been able to bring myself to watch it.
Not yet. Do I want to? haha

Going to try to watch at least 3-4 films today to make up for a slow Saturday, then study for my Midterm.
Old 10-09-11, 02:23 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Just a head's up we're nearing the 24 hour mark.

And one more hint:
5. Some images have been slightly altered.

Also, I'm gonna whittle that number down to 32 as one image is damn near impossible to get.
Would you care to elaborate on which of the images is near impossible to get? I think I've got the bat and blood drops, which were hard.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.