Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-06-11, 08:38 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Question: What would last nights episode of 'American Horror Story' count as?

It ran for 71 minutes, which is more closer to the half entry, but then again I'm not actually sure if the show is more along the mini-series category, which would be a full entry
Old 10-06-11, 09:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 467 Likes on 309 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

By the way, screw all of you with the multitude of subset choices that I don't own. I just signed up for Netflix again, something I had sworn to never do.

That said, Dead & Buried is very good so far.
Old 10-06-11, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 133 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
Although Sauna, one of the subset films, is no longer on Netflix streaming it has been available at Blockbuster as a rental exclusive so if anyone was wondering about access check Blockbuster.
Redbox has replaced almost all B&M video rental stores here. I really miss Video Vault; they had everything. So far, I either own or have "acquired" the 31 day subset flicks.
Old 10-06-11, 09:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 467 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear View Post
So far, I either own or have "acquired" the 31 day subset flicks.
I've done that for a few obscure things in the past, but my paranoia is increasing and I figured I'd give Netflix one more month of my money.

I know the links are at the beginning of the thread, but here are the current subset film discussions going on in the Reviews subforum. Please join us if you've ever watched these films before.

Santa Sangre (1989) - DVDTalk discussion thread

[REC] (2007) - DVDTalk discussion thread

Orca: The Killer Whale (1977) - DVDTalk discussion thread

Frogs (1972) - DVDTalk discussion thread

The Horde (2009) - DVDTalk discussion thread

Dead & Buried (1981) - DVDTalk discussion thread

Last edited by Trevor; 10-06-11 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-06-11, 10:39 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Just watched 'High Lane' on Netflix streaming and recommend this is if you like movies along the lines of 'Wrong Turn'. It's a Croatian movie, but dubbed (very well) in English and stays pretty tense for the entire 90 minutes.

IMO definitely one of the better indie horror movies of the last couple of years
Old 10-06-11, 11:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

did anyone watch TCM's Night at the Movies: The Horrors of Stephen King - my DVR cut off right at the end where King is about to state what his favourite horror movie is .... ugh! the worse possible place to end - ?? what was his answer?
Old 10-06-11, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
did anyone watch TCM's Night at the Movies: The Horrors of Stephen King - my DVR cut off right at the end where King is about to state what his favourite horror movie is .... ugh! the worse possible place to end - ?? what was his answer?
(The Original) Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Old 10-06-11, 11:39 AM

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Finished watching The Black Cat last night, and loved it! It's the first movie I've seen with Karloff and Lugosi sharing the screen, and those two play off each other really well.

Watched Murders in the Rue Morgue after, but didn't enjoy that one as much. Still, it has its charm.
Old 10-06-11, 11:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
(The Original) Invasion of the Body Snatchers
thanks
Old 10-06-11, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by SethDLH View Post
I like you. Most people I talk to about horror movies in any regard love Inside. That may play a role in why it is one of my most passionately hated movies of recent memory. I just cannot stand it. And honestly most French horror of recent memory just isn't good to me. I do like Martyrs and High Tension but most others just don't work for me.

I'll be watching Dead & Buried when I wake up tomorrow, my first viewing of the Blu. A highly underrated movie imo.
Oh yeah, seems that everyone I talk to adores it too. I'm not a fan of most of the recent French horror either. The only other one that I have any affinity for is Ils, though it's a good few steps below HT and Martyrs.

Dead & Buried is definitely underrated. It never fails to get under my skin, that's for sure.
Old 10-06-11, 12:07 PM

Christ, I forgot how badly recast the character Henry Kane was in Poltergeist III.
Old 10-06-11, 12:11 PM
Banned

First on the agenda today, (Stephen King's) Pet Sematary (1989)! It's been about 13 years since I saw it last, caught it on one of the cable movie channels back then - now I have the DVD.
Old 10-06-11, 12:55 PM

Only got in three movies last night which was a step down from the pace I had been keeping. Hoping today will get back up to speed.

We plan on going through all the Universal Monsters flicks that I either haven't seen or only saw parts of so I can't say I saw the whole thing. Which leaves everything but Lugosi's original Dracula and the first Invisible Man. My son's taken an interest in what we've been watching lately so I'm hoping these will be good for him.
Old 10-06-11, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 560 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
I believe Richard Stanley is still Writing and doing Short Films.
I'm looking forward to his entry in The Theater Bizarre. I've heard mixed reviews but I'll check it out regardless being I'm a sucker for anthologies.
Old 10-06-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 571 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDMagic View Post
Question: What would last nights episode of 'American Horror Story' count as?

It ran for 71 minutes, which is more closer to the half entry, but then again I'm not actually sure if the show is more along the mini-series category, which would be a full entry
I used it along with Sunday's episode of Dexter as one entry. The show is meant to be a regular series, not a mini-series. If you are watching some short films, trailers or 30-minute programs, those could be used to achieve the 2-hour time needed for an entry rather than another 1-hour show.

As for the show itself, I guess I liked it. As I said in the show's thread in TV Talk, I wonder how the show will be able to sustain itself over multiple seasons. There's usually a point in a haunted house movie where you wonder why the people just don't leave. How will they make it so that we aren't asking those questions in the second season? Anyway, I think it has potential, and it's nice to see a horror TV show on the air. I'll support it.

Originally Posted by dcrw6 View Post
Only got in three movies last night which was a step down from the pace I had been keeping. Hoping today will get back up to speed.
Fatigue has been setting in a little bit for me, too. I just keep telling myself to get to Friday. Once I get to Friday, I'll have company over, which will energize me a little bit, and then I'll have the weekend to binge on horror. I'm hoping to get in at least two today. Considering giving the original The Toolbox Murders a spin tonight for today's theme because I was underwhelmed with it the first time. Dead and Buried is tempting, though.
Old 10-06-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I think every OHMC I say that I'm finally going to open up that set. Maybe this year I'll really do it.
Do it!
Old 10-06-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Can I just say that I am loving the look of Surfinhank's list. I wish I had the time and patience to to do something like that.
Old 10-06-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Darth Maher View Post
Can I just say that I am loving the look of Surfinhank's list. I wish I had the time and patience to to do something like that.
Wow, that is pretty awesome. I know over the years we have had posters make some really great looking lists (both here and in the Exploitation Challenge)

Just finished watching The Diabolical Doctor Z. Light on a lot of things Jess Franco, but straight forward enough to be enjoyable.

My busy work/class week ends at 3pm today, so I can't wait to dig back into more films after
Old 10-06-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 571 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Wow, that is pretty awesome. I know over the years we have had posters make some really great looking lists (both here and in the Exploitation Challenge)

Just finished watching The Diabolical Doctor Z. Light on a lot of things Jess Franco, but straight forward enough to be enjoyable.

My busy work/class week ends at 3pm today, so I can't wait to dig back into more films after
You make me so jealous. The earliest I can get started during the week is around 8 p.m., but it's usually more like 8:30 or 9. That has really affected my numbers during the week this year. I didn't start this current job until the day after last year's challenge, so this is my first challenge while working here.
Old 10-06-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
You make me so jealous. The earliest I can get started during the week is around 8 p.m., but it's usually more like 8:30 or 9. That has really affected my numbers during the week this year. I didn't start this current job until the day after last year's challenge, so this is my first challenge while working here.
Thursdays are the only work/class day where I get off early. The rest of the week I usually get home around 6pm and then have to take care of everything not Horror related

I don't have work Fridays, so I can dedicate it pretty much all to movies assume my friends don't want to hang out or I'm caught up on all work/school related stuff.

I noticed that you, myself and a good handful of people here had mentioned new jobs or being more busy than they were during last year's Challenge. Real life = Stupid!
Old 10-06-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice - I persuaded my professor to let us screen The Funhouse for my horror class tomorrow as a double-bill with Texas Chainsaw Massacre, so that's another title to add to my list! Our classroom has a massive projector screen, so it's always a treat watching Blu-rays on it.
Old 10-06-11, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Nice - I persuaded my professor to let us screen The Funhouse for my horror class tomorrow as a double-bill with Texas Chainsaw Massacre, so that's another title to add to my list! Our classroom has a massive projector screen, so it's always a treat watching Blu-rays on it.
There's a school that has a HORROR class? Jealous!

Sad day yesterday. Got home late from work and was tired thanks to the rain. Watched American Horror Story which I'm not going to count right now and fell asleep watching the other half of the Ring I never got to the other night. Day 3 and I better finish the Ring. That movie just puts me to sleep for some reason.

BTW:
Wednesday, October 5
TCM GUEST PROGRAMMER: JOHN CARPENTER
8:00 PM - The Thing From Another World (1951) 87 min
9:45 PM - It! They Terror From Beyond Space (1958) 69 min
11:00 PM - The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) 83 min

I am GUESSING it was supposed to be on TCM, Turner Classic Movies. Did ANYONE see this? When I looked on my guide it did not show those films last night. HUGE disappointment as I wanted to DVR the Thing and compare it to the Carpenter movie.
Old 10-06-11, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
There's a school that has a HORROR class? Jealous!

Sad day yesterday. Got home late from work and was tired thanks to the rain. Watched American Horror Story which I'm not going to count right now and fell asleep watching the other half of the Ring I never got to the other night. Day 3 and I better finish the Ring. That movie just puts me to sleep for some reason.

BTW:
Wednesday, October 5
TCM GUEST PROGRAMMER: JOHN CARPENTER
8:00 PM - The Thing From Another World (1951) 87 min
9:45 PM - It! They Terror From Beyond Space (1958) 69 min
11:00 PM - The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) 83 min

I am GUESSING it was supposed to be on TCM, Turner Classic Movies. Did ANYONE see this? When I looked on my guide it did not show those films last night. HUGE disappointment as I wanted to DVR the Thing and compare it to the Carpenter movie.
i dunno about the first two but i watched curse of frankenstein on it with jc hosting
Old 10-06-11, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 560 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Yeah, caught everything except his opening intro to Rio Bravo. In a nutshell he discussed the filmography of Howard Hawks and the influence on his work, his love for westerns, growing up in the baby boomer generation and James Bernard's unique approach to scoring his films, which is singing out the title. It was informative, but didn't really cover any new territory he hasn't already in his commentaries.

EDIT: Misread your post.
Old 10-06-11, 06:08 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know if the upcoming (next week) Synapse release 'South of Heaven' is a horror film at all? I'm on my phone and can't get a valid answer on it via searching.

Can anyone suggest Uncle Sam or Vampyres? They're the only Blue Underground blu-rays I haven't seen in any format, worth picking up?

I finally bought Basket Case 2 after going my entire life without seeing and being a big fan of the first since middle school, I've always wanted to check it out, just never got the chance. now I just have to wait for Synapse to release the 3rd on blu-ray to finally see that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.