Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-05-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

^Netflix doesn't even carry the disc. It's in the 'Saved' section.
Old 10-05-11, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Preterite
Put me down as another who enjoyed The Horde.
Put me down as well.

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Also it might not get a lot of love, but I really liked Jennifer's Body. I hated Juno's dialogue and I was surprised I didn't hate the dialogue in Jennifer's Body as much. There are some definitely eye-rolling bits, but all the best stuff is saved for Megan Fox.
This is one of the rare movies I couldn't even make it very far into before deleting it off my tivo. Megan Fox was just awful and I could only make it to the bar scene at the beginning.
Old 10-05-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
This is one of the rare movies I couldn't even make it very far into before deleting it off my tivo. Megan Fox was just awful and I could only make it to the bar scene at the beginning.
Wow. You didn't get very far at all. I have a couple of friends who love the movie and think it's hysterical. I watched it Monday. It was just sort of meh to me, though I can see its appeal for some people. I was expecting it to be much worse; it wasn't too bad, despite its unevenness, but not something I would purchase. Amanda Seyfried is great, but I thought Megan Fox and Adam Brody were both woefully miscast. Someone else in Fox's role might have made this movie a lot better.
Old 10-05-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok- It looks like Black Belly Of The Tarantula is streaming, if someone can confirm that I'd be willing to change Embodiment of Evil to that.
Old 10-05-11, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Great mini-series. Also recommend that!

Definitely not at the same pace that I was last year. The difference being I am about 100 times more busy this Fall than I was back then. Trying to sneak in as many as I can when I can. Still having fun though!

I do have to say I'm a teeny bit jealous of the people I would (assume) aren't working and are churning out like 6-8 films a day.

Also it might not get a lot of love, but I really liked Jennifer's Body. I hated Juno's dialogue and I was surprised I didn't hate the dialogue in Jennifer's Body as much. There are some definitely eye-rolling bits, but all the best stuff is saved for Megan Fox.
I'm actually way ahead of last year's pace. I guess I'm not really too surprised because I'm a bit more into this year than I was last year. I wish I could squeeze more into each day simply because there are so.freaking.many. titles that I'd love to watch.

I really like Jennifer's Body too. The first time I saw it I didn't care for it all that much, but it grew on me with subsequent viewings and is now a guilty pleasure flick for me. I'm sure I'll watch it at some point before the end of the month.
Old 10-05-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Ok- It looks like Black Belly Of The Tarantula is streaming, if someone can confirm that I'd be willing to change Embodiment of Evil to that.
"A little seen gem... With Nudity, Gore And Three Bond Girls!" - DVD Times

It is. And I'll get right on it.
Old 10-05-11, 04:55 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

DVD and streaming through my non-member search page.

Edit to add: Doh! Chad snuck in after I hit reply. More work for you Chad. Thanks again to you for all that you do, and to Seth for being willing to change it to something easier for all of us to track down.

Also available as cheap as $8.95 shipped on Amazon.
Old 10-05-11, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
"A little seen gem... With Nudity, Gore And Three Bond Girls!" - DVD Times

It is. And I'll get right on it.
Sounds good, I wanted to revisit it during the challenge anyways.

If anyone is debating what Jean Rollin film to watch to complete the checklist, I really enjoyed The Grapes Of Death.
Old 10-05-11, 05:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Speaking of subset list film changes, I feel kind of bad about my suggestion. I wasn't going to participate, but when Chad was getting desperate near the beginning of the month for more choices, I just looked at the shelf nearest me and threw out a few choices.

If I had known my random choice was going to be on Stephen King night I would have tried to back a better selection. At least, I think that most people consider Creepshow rather mediocre.

I'm sure I'm just over-thinking it, but I would have no problem with the choice being changed to anything else.
Old 10-05-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds good, I wanted to revisit it during the challenge anyways.

If anyone is debating what Jean Rollin film to watch to complete the checklist, I really enjoyed The Grapes Of Death.
I really liked Grapes of Death as well.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Speaking of subset list film changes, I feel kind of bad about my suggestion. I wasn't going to participate, but when Chad was getting desperate near the beginning of the month for more choices, I just looked at the shelf nearest me and threw out a few choices.

If I had known my random choice was going to be on Stephen King night I would have tried to back a better selection. At least, I think that most people consider Creepshow rather mediocre.

I'm sure I'm just over-thinking it, but I would have no problem with the choice being changed to anything else.
I like Creepshow, and I have yet to see the Blu-ray I bought a while back. So, I'm looking forward to it anyway.

Last edited by clckworang; 10-05-11 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-05-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Creepshow is one of the best anthology horror movies. I've always had a lot of fun with it.
Old 10-05-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

Don't change it. I just got the boo-ray.
Old 10-05-11, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, a few more 'heads up' announcements:

- Day 26 of the subset list has been changed from "Embodiment of Evil" to "The Black Belly of the Tarantula".

- I've finally gotten around to updating all the list links on the first page of the list thread. It's also not a bad idea to link your list in your sig if you haven't already.

- Trivia question this Saturday. Probably around noon EST. You'll be playing for a copy of "Maniac Cop" on Blu-ray courtesy of Synapse.

- Number your damn lists! Please.

Old 10-05-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clckworang
I didn't know that Pontypool was originally a radio play. I might have to check that out because, like I said earlier, I really liked the concept a lot. I could see it working much better as pure audio.
It was a novel first (I haven't gotten around to finding a copy) and I think the radio play and movie were made at the same time. I was surprised to find that the radio play is still up for streaming on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/ar...ol_audio.shtml
Old 10-05-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks to SethDLH for switching from Embodiment of Evil. I might still try to track it down just so I'll feel l'll like I was up to the challenge. Black Belly of the Tarantula looks worthy.

Due to the interference of my offspring I have resorted to Scooby Doo as a compromise... French zombie movies will have to wait until bedtime.
Old 10-05-11, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I think Creepshow is one of the best anthology horror movies. I've always had a lot of fun with it.
Agreed. LOVED the first film. Part two, not so much though.
Old 10-05-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

The Goodies DVD - 'Cecily' (1970) - 30 minutes - The Goodies babysit a young girl whose under a curse..? Some good gags but ultimately falls flat. You'd think the Goodies would've had a good horror spoof in them.
Addams Family DVD - 'Halloween - Addam's Style' (1965) - 30 minutes - A Scrooge tells Wedsnday that there's no such things as witches on Halloween. The only Halloween episode for the Addam's Family. Good.
The Outer Limits DVD - 'The Forms of Things Unknown' (1964) - 1 hour - Two women murder a sleazy blackmailer, who is then brought back to life. Creepy Outer Limits episode that had to have been at least partially informed by Diabolique.

Decided to shake things up a bit today. Of the three, The Outer Limits was the only real winner. Addam's Family was good, but nothing special. The Goodies was just disappointing.
Old 10-05-11, 07:52 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

What time is it? It's Return of the Living Dead 3 time. Gotta love Mindy Clarke.
Old 10-05-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for some reason i felt like watching DISTURBING BEHAVIOR. it's ironic that katie holmes ISN'T one of the brainwashed kids in this movie.
Old 10-05-11, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looking over my list, I'm a bit surprised that all the films I've watched so far have been from the 1950s to present with the exception of zero films thus far from the '90s. I found it interesting anyway.

Since it's French day, I guess it's finally time for me to give the Martyrs Blu-ray a spin. Time to go set up in the back yard for another movie night!
Old 10-05-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, don't forget that tonight is the premiere of American Horror Story on FX. I'm definitely going to check it out later.
Old 10-05-11, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Talking a break to watch Steve Jobs coverage
Old 10-05-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, instead of just sitting at work again with nothing to watch I figured I'd take out the DVD playing on the wall and put anything in I can find that's horror related, so tonight's a double feature of Friday the 13th: The Official XXX Parody and Scream XXX.
Old 10-05-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I either missed something or just don't get these foreign zombie films. Watched The Horde and really wasn't into it. I also didn't like Dead Snow. last year. I don't mind fast zombies, there's just something I'm not into here. I guess I'm getting picky (cranky) in my mid-30's.

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
for some reason i felt like watching DISTURBING BEHAVIOR. it's ironic that katie holmes ISN'T one of the brainwashed kids in this movie.
I remember being totally pissed when that dude grabbed Katie's breast. Yeah, I was a big Creek fan back in the day.
Old 10-05-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I remember being totally pissed when that dude grabbed Katie's breast. Yeah, I was a big Creek fan back in the day.
i watched the first 3 seasons when it aired mainly because of katie holmes (and the girl i was dating). her tits looked great the whole movie. lots of other young stars in it as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.