Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by takingchase
I could really use some weigh in's on whether a few more films are considered horror or not. That damn thriller tag seems to dance so closely with horror it's hard to tell if you haven't seen the movie. My two movies in question are Good Neighbors and Funny Games

I'm not so sure about Good Neighbors but Funny Games is a home invasion movie which seems to normally be cast into the horror genre. Any input would be appreciated.
I'd count both.

My trick for figuring out movies I haven't seen is to do a search like "good neighbors horror movie" and see what I get. That search turns up reviews for that movie at horror movie sites, which is good enough for me.

Originally Posted by Cool Ghoul
I'll be watching "The Old Dark House" for sure, I've seen it many times. I just watched "The Cat And The Canary" a week or so ago. Actually that's when I got the idea to see more "Old Dark House' films.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I should have added that I’m open to silents and that I’m trying to find more obscure, odd ball stuff.

Some of the Alpha stuff sound like it would fit the bill but you never know if it’ll Old Dark House-y enough with spooky goings-on or just a murder mystery.

Anyone seen…

The Monster Walks
One Frightened Night
Mystic Circle Murder
Crooked Circle
House Of Mystery
The Horror Classics 50 movie set has some that you're looking for. It's been years since I've gone through the set, so I can't list any specific titles but I remember at least a handful in there.
Old 09-28-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by takingchase
I could really use some weigh in's on whether a few more films are considered horror or not. That damn thriller tag seems to dance so closely with horror it's hard to tell if you haven't seen the movie. My two movies in question are Good Neighbors and Funny Games

I'm not so sure about Good Neighbors but Funny Games is a home invasion movie which seems to normally be cast into the horror genre. Any input would be appreciated.
I know nothing about GN but Funny Games definitely works imo
Old 09-28-11, 09:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some of the Alpha stuff sound like it would fit the bill but you never know if it’ll Old Dark House-y enough with spooky goings-on or just a murder mystery.

Anyone seen…

The Monster Walks
One Frightened Night
Mystic Circle Murder
Crooked Circle
House Of Mystery
Possibly the first film of this genre was The Bat (1926), which is available from Alpha. It's a bit difficult to separate the spooky from the murder mystery in this genre, because most films have elements of both, so that it becomes a question of which aspect a particular viewer feels is dominant.

The Monster Walks is the only one from your list that I've seen, and I think it's what you are looking for. Haunted Spooks (1920), a Harold Lloyd short, also qualifies.

The Curse of the Cat People (1944) is very good. It's similar to The Uninvited, not a sequel to Cat People, although the lead actors are the same.

Last edited by ororama; 09-28-11 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-28-11, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'd count both.

My trick for figuring out movies I haven't seen is to do a search like "good neighbors horror movie" and see what I get. That search turns up reviews for that movie at horror movie sites, which is good enough for me.
That is actually an excellent idea and means I'll be bugging you all a lot less with questions like this. Thanks
Old 09-28-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know if this was asked or not, I didn't want to run through the 600+ entries to find out but would the Twilight Zone TV series be good to use for the challenge?
Old 09-28-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Every year I try to have a loose theme where I watch a number of one type of film. One year I watched a number of Hammers I hadn’t seen, another year I did anthologies. This year I’m doing ‘Old Dark House” films.

If anyone can recommend some I’d really appreciate it. I’m mainly looking for 30’s and 40’s that are on DVD. I know Alpha has a number of titles that fall into this category can another recommend any of those?
Many of my favorites have already been mentioned, but there are a bunch of Universal films from the '30s and '40s that fit the bill quite nicely. I'd recommend:

Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff--sure, it's funny, but it's got a creepy vibe to it as well. The setting is 100% Grade-A USDA-inspected old dark...hotel. With rain and thunder and lightning. Whoo-hoo!

The Black Cat (1934)--not your typical "old dark house," but I think that it's spookier for being so weird. For my money, Boris and Bela's finest moment together, with some of the most quotable lines in the Universal canon.

The Black Cat (1941)--forget the plot and enjoy the atmosphere, as this Cat features an almost constantly raging thunderstorm, hidden passages, and a cat crematorium. Unfortunately, it also features the unique "comedy" stylings of Hugh Herbert, the old-time movie star I'd most like to see get a severe heat rash. Recommended with HUGE (or should that be HUGH) reservations.

Horror Island (1941) and Night Monster (1942) sound like they'd be perfect for your theme, but I haven't seen them (yet, although they're both in my list of films to watch this challenge), so I can't recommend them.

And one last one just for goofs--Hillbillys in a Haunted House (1967), a childhood favorite of mine that I can't really give any good arguments for seeing. In its favor, it features Lon Chaney, Jr., Basil Rathbone, AND John Carradine, and Sonny James shows up to sing "The Cat Came Back." To its deficit, it STARS Ferlin Husky, and it's a country-music musical, and Sonny James sings "The Minute You're Gone." One of the main characters is named "Jeepers," so that in itself should tell you just about all you need to know about this film.

And, yeah, they misspelled "Hillbillies" in the title.
Old 09-28-11, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

The M.R. JAMES COLLECTION (The Complete Ghost Stories of M.R. James) is being released by Shock Entertainment in Australia on October 5th. These are all the M.R. James stories that the BBC have adapted for Christmas. It includes:
  • A VIEW FROM A HILL- When Mr Fanshawe borrows his host's binoculars, he sees an unsettling sight on aptly-named Gallows Hill - or does he?
  • A WARNING TO THE CURIOUS - A man goes in search of an ancient crown, unaware that anyone who moves it will be cursed.
  • ASH TREE - Sir Richard inherits the family estate and finds himself overwhelmed with visions of his great uncle's role in the hanging of a woman suspected of witchcraft.
  • CHRISTOPHER LEE'S GHOST STORIES FOR CHRISTMAS - Christopher Lee hosts and narrates: A Warning to the Curious, Number 13, The Stalls of Barchester.
  • LOST HEARTS - A powerful drama about Mr Abney, an elderly and excitable black magician, who preys sinisterly upon children.
  • NUMBER 13 - Greg Wise stars in this unsettling tale in which a traveller finds that the hotel he's booked into conceals a supernatural secret.
  • THE STALLS OF BARCHESTER - Robert Hardy stars as an ambitious cleric who decides to advance his career by murdering his archdeacon.
  • THE TREASURE OF ABBOT THOMAS - Michael Bryant stars as a historian who finds the clue to hidden treasure in an old stained-glass window.
  • WHISTLE AND I'LL COME TO YOU - Jonathan Miller's chilling adaptation of the evocative Edwardian ghost story starring, starring Michael Horden.
  • WHISTLE AND I'LL COME TO YOU - James Parkin (John Hurt) encounters an apparition on a desolate British beach - with terrifying consequences.

Probably too late for this years Challenge, but perhaps those so inclined might consider it for next year.
Old 09-28-11, 10:08 PM

This year I’m doing ‘Old Dark House” films.

If anyone can recommend some I’d really appreciate it. I’m mainly looking for 30’s and 40’s that are on DVD. I know Alpha has a number of titles that fall into this category can another recommend any of those?
I think that the Ritz Brothers' The Gorilla (1939) also fits this genre, although it's been a long time since I've seen it. My recollection is that Patsy Kelly was probably the only reason to watch it.
Old 09-28-11, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rbrown498
... Night Monster (1942) sound like they'd be perfect for your theme, but I haven't seen them (yet, although they're both in my list of films to watch this challenge), so I can't recommend them.
Night Monster is an alternate title for House of Mystery. Or vice versa.
Old 09-28-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Every year I try to have a loose theme where I watch a number of one type of film. One year I watched a number of Hammers I hadn’t seen, another year I did anthologies. This year I’m doing ‘Old Dark House” films.

Probably not the most well-known, but I've always enjoyed One Frightened Night (1935) starring Uncle Henry from The Wizard of Oz.

And here's a 'best of' list someone compiled at the Internet Archive w/ streaming links:

http://www.archive.org/post/219710/old-house-mysteries
Old 09-28-11, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
(In best Johnny Carson voice): I did not know that.
Old 09-28-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely check out The Innocents, which is one of the greatest horror films ever made. There's also The Nesting, which isn't. Another vote for Ulmer's The Black Cat, though that's more of an 'Old Dark Bauhaus' film.
Old 09-28-11, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JOE29
I don't know if this was asked or not, I didn't want to run through the 600+ entries to find out but would the Twilight Zone TV series be good to use for the challenge?
I'd say Thriller, The Outer Limits, Kolchak-The Night Stalker and Eerie Indiana would all have appropriate episodes. That applies to Twillight Zone, too. Heck I can even think of at least one Wild Wild West, one STOS, and one Starsky and Hutch and maybe two Dick Van Dyke Show episodes that would qualify. You just have to do your research.
Old 09-28-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JOE29
All depends on the episode. It certainly has those that would qualify.
Old 09-28-11, 10:36 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I just noticed that Embodiment of Evil is not available on Netflix. Does anyone know of where else we can find this without having to blind buy it? Thanks!
Old 09-28-11, 10:38 PM

I have some odd ball titles, though I'm not sure you'd be able to get them in time. They're not strictly 'Old dark house' films, but even so. Haunted Cop Shop (1987), Operation Pink Squad 2 aka Thunder Cops (haunted high rise) and Ghost Fever (1989).
The only Hong Kong movie that I've seen in this genre is Beauty of the Haunted House, which has one or two good scenes, but I can't recommend it.
Old 09-28-11, 11:09 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Break your own leg and post it on youtube; maybe Chad would allow us all to count that as part of the cumulative short video count.

...Speaking of short video count, it is cheating but last year in a desparate attempt to complete the checklist I was able to knock off many items by pulling up random horror themed shorts on youtube. Attack of some random crudely drawn bunny, living dead carrots, etc... I think that's legal... I think... this year I pledge to legitimately complete the checklist.
Originally Posted by terrycloth
nice price on the bd ordered.

yes i agree its only 10$ and well worth the money

Sooo tempted to buy it! I saw it for the first time last year. Was so bad it was almost good!! I've been contemplating buying it, but never saw it that cheap! And in Blu-Ray no less!
Old 09-28-11, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I know a few of you can relate to this, but my goal of hitting a 100 just took a significant hit with the Cardinals making the playoffs. As much as I love the OHMC, I have my priorities...
Old 09-28-11, 11:18 PM

Since it's been removed from Netflix Instant, thought I'd mention for anyone doing the subset that you can stream Asylum (1972) at AMCTV.com.

Last edited by kyleblack; 09-29-11 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-28-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I know a few of you can relate to this, but my goal of hitting a 100 just took a significant hit with the Cardinals making the playoffs. As much as I love the OHMC, I have my priorities...
And the Red Sox did not make the playoffs, so I'm all set now
Old 09-28-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the Sox missing the playoffs (even though I love the O's too) that is one less thing to worry about watching. The Ravens will keep me plenty busy
Old 09-28-11, 11:36 PM

There is also another film titled House Of Mystery from '34.
Old 09-28-11, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
And the Red Sox did not make the playoffs, so I'm all set now
Originally Posted by SethDLH
With the Sox missing the playoffs (even though I love the O's too) that is one less thing to worry about watching.
I'm sorry that you two actually got a head start in your "horror"-watching this year.
Old 09-28-11, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Many of my favorites have already been mentioned, but there are a bunch of Universal films from the '30s and '40s that fit the bill quite nicely. I'd recommend:

Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff--sure, it's funny, but it's got a creepy vibe to it as well. The setting is 100% Grade-A USDA-inspected old dark...hotel. With rain and thunder and lightning. Whoo-hoo!

The Black Cat (1934)--not your typical "old dark house," but I think that it's spookier for being so weird. For my money, Boris and Bela's finest moment together, with some of the most quotable lines in the Universal canon.

The Black Cat (1941)--forget the plot and enjoy the atmosphere, as this Cat features an almost constantly raging thunderstorm, hidden passages, and a cat crematorium. Unfortunately, it also features the unique "comedy" stylings of Hugh Herbert, the old-time movie star I'd most like to see get a severe heat rash. Recommended with HUGE (or should that be HUGH) reservations.

Horror Island (1941) and Night Monster (1942) sound like they'd be perfect for your theme, but I haven't seen them (yet, although they're both in my list of films to watch this challenge), so I can't recommend them.

And one last one just for goofs--Hillbillys in a Haunted House (1967), a childhood favorite of mine that I can't really give any good arguments for seeing. In its favor, it features Lon Chaney, Jr., Basil Rathbone, AND John Carradine, and Sonny James shows up to sing "The Cat Came Back." To its deficit, it STARS Ferlin Husky, and it's a country-music musical, and Sonny James sings "The Minute You're Gone." One of the main characters is named "Jeepers," so that in itself should tell you just about all you need to know about this film.

And, yeah, they misspelled "Hillbillies" in the title.
I might have to check out 'Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff." I'm not really a Abbott and Costello fan so it's a title I've never looked into.

I love the '34 "Black Cat" and really enjoyed the '41 "Black Cat." After all the negative things I heard about it I guess I had very low expectations.

I can recommend both "Horror Island" and "Night Monster." I will most likely be revisiting nearly all the titles from that Universal Horror set that came out a few years back.
Old 09-28-11, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I watch very little regular season baseball these days, but having the Cards in the playoffs will get me watching.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.