Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i'm pretty sure i've got some dvds that i've upgraded to blu-ray i could donate for prizes...Chad let me know if you're interested in them and i'll ship them to you.
I appreciate the offer, but let's wait and see what the sponsorship situation holds. If (big emphasis on that word) all the potential sponsors donate something we could have a pretty big offering of prizes this year. Right now it's just a matter of waiting patiently for a response back.
Old 09-02-11, 06:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Just decided today to move our wedding up to 11/11/11. Less than 10 weeks to plan it, and my fiancee is stressing out big time. I'm guessing that I won't hit the numbers I did last year.....
Old 09-02-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

^With that date you'll never have to worry about forgetting an anniversary.

Congrats, BTW.
Old 09-02-11, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I bet there are horror movies about planning weddings. Or if there aren't, there should be.
Old 09-02-11, 08:25 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok, to whoever put up all those links for movies and such....THANK YOU! I for one totally appreciate your work for listing them all and making it much easier for me to get my list of movies to watch sorted out. You are the bomb!
Old 09-02-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Just decided today to move our wedding up to 11/11/11. Less than 10 weeks to plan it, and my fiancee is stressing out big time. I'm guessing that I won't hit the numbers I did last year.....
Where are your priorities? Congratulations on the marriage... I think... umm... haha... run.
Old 09-02-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Too soon, probably, but I'll go ahead and prime the pump. I want a call on movies like Monster House, Nightmare Before Christmas, Scary Godmother, and The Halloween Tree. None are listed as horror in imdb or allrovi and I admit Scary Godmother isn't scary, but they all have horror imagery and take place during Halloween. Also, Coraline and The Corpse Bride aren't listed as horror either.

Would any movie/tv episode where Halloween is a central conceit, qualify?
I asked about Monster House last year and was told it could qualify under kid's horror, so I counted it.
Old 09-02-11, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Where are your priorities? Congratulations on the marriage... I think... umm... haha... run.
Perhaps it's possible she wanted to have the wedding October, and Trevor told her he had another commitment and there was no way he could do it then.
Old 09-03-11, 04:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in, hopefully this will be year when I watch OVER 100 movies. But I know I'm just kidding myself about that...
Old 09-03-11, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last few years I've let work get in the way, but fuck that this year. I'm gonna load up my iPod (as much as I can't stand watching anything on such a small screen) so when I'm at work I can watch away.
Old 09-03-11, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Chad
^With that date you'll never have to worry about forgetting an anniversary.

Congrats, BTW.
Thanks! And yes, that was one of the reasons I threw out that date when we first thought about marriage a few months ago. I was surprised that she agreed to it.

Coincidentally, it is also Veteran's Day and the wedding will take place at the church where my Dad was a strong presence, so it sort of feels like the closest I can come to him being there with me.
Originally Posted by davidh777
I bet there are horror movies about planning weddings. Or if there aren't, there should be.
My work partner spent the last year planning a wedding, so I know how stressful and painful it can get. Jen and I are already fighting, but with quick make-ups so far.
Originally Posted by shellebelle
Ok, to whoever put up all those links for movies and such....THANK YOU! I for one totally appreciate your work for listing them all and making it much easier for me to get my list of movies to watch sorted out. You are the bomb!
That's all Chad, the best DVDTalker of them all!
Originally Posted by Undeadcow
If it was just helping with planning the wedding, I'd be fine. But I have a condo full of 15 years worth of hoarding that I have to pack and fit into a space roughly half of what I have. It's going to take me hundreds and hundreds of hours. I'm essentially out of the next three Challenges. And I was so looking forward to all three of them, especially the new Comedy Challenge in November.
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Perhaps it's possible she wanted to have the wedding October, and Trevor told her he had another commitment and there was no way he could do it then.
I've been meaning to sit down with her and show her "my life" on DVDTalk and all about the Challenges and other threads here that have been a daily part of my life for 14 years. She won't "get it" fully I'm sure, she and are opposites in many ways. But hopefully she'll at least partially realize the importance of you all to me and appreciate what I'm (partially) giving up for 3 months.
Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
The last few years I've let work get in the way, but fuck that this year. I'm gonna load up my iPod (as much as I can't stand watching anything on such a small screen) so when I'm at work I can watch away.
That's what I did last year. I gave everything up, took some vacation, and devoted 16 hours a day to the Horror Challenge. I'm glad I did it that once, because it won't be possible again. I'll be back to being very active, but doubt I'll ever hit more than 100 hours of content a month again.

So in a very exaggerated and egotistical way, this post is sort of a good- bye. The old Trevor is gone, and after a ten week quasi-vacation, a slightly different Trevor will return.
Old 09-03-11, 09:24 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks like I will be fulltime at work, but I'm going to watch as many movies as I can. I love this challenge!
Old 09-03-11, 09:38 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Great first post, Chad! And thanks for all the Roku information; it will definitely help in locating and watching.

...can't wait...
Old 09-03-11, 09:39 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Trevor, don't worry about not watching as many horror movies because soon you'll be living one!!

I am kidding... maybe
Old 09-03-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

If it was just helping with planning the wedding, I'd be fine. But I have a condo full of 15 years worth of hoarding that I have to pack and fit into a space roughly half of what I have.
You've only been hoarding stuff since you were thirty? Amateur. If you don't still have at least some of the toys and comics you had when you were a kid, you're not much of a hoarder.
It's going to take me hundreds and hundreds of hours. I'm essentially out of the next three Challenges. And I was so looking forward to all three of them, especially the new Comedy Challenge in November.
You know as well as anyone that you only have to watch one thing and put it on your list to be a participant.
Old 09-03-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My work partner spent the last year planning a wedding, so I know how stressful and painful it can get. Jen and I are already fighting, but with quick make-ups so far.

I've been meaning to sit down with her and show her "my life" on DVDTalk and all about the Challenges and other threads here that have been a daily part of my life for 14 years. She won't "get it" fully I'm sure, she and are opposites in many ways. But hopefully she'll at least partially realize the importance of you all to me and appreciate what I'm (partially) giving up for 3 months.

If it was just helping with planning the wedding, I'd be fine. But I have a condo full of 15 years worth of hoarding that I have to pack and fit into a space roughly half of what I have. It's going to take me hundreds and hundreds of hours. I'm essentially out of the next three Challenges. And I was so looking forward to all three of them, especially the new Comedy Challenge in November.
That's what I did last year. I gave everything up, took some vacation, and devoted 16 hours a day to the Horror Challenge. I'm glad I did it that once, because it won't be possible again. I'll be back to being very active, but doubt I'll ever hit more than 100 hours of content a month again.
So in a very exaggerated and egotistical way, this post is sort of a good- bye. The old Trevor is gone, and after a ten week quasi-vacation, a slightly different Trevor will return.
And I had just gotten used to your being back from your last absence. Even if you're not watching a ton, hope you can find the time to drop in now and then and say hi.
Old 09-03-11, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dimension X
You've only been hoarding stuff since you were thirty? Amateur. If you don't still have at least some of the toys and comics you had when you were a kid, you're not much of a hoarder.
Oh no, I've got all that stuff too. I've just been in this particular place for 15 years. So it's packed floor to ceiling with most living and walking space consumed with boxes and shelves of books and DVDs. I'm not quite Hoarders episode level, but I was getting close.
Originally Posted by Dimension X
You know as well as anyone that you only have to watch one thing and put it on your list to be a participant.
Even better, I don't believe one has to post to be a participant. So the millions of humans who watch anything horror-related next month are unknowing participants.
I'm sure I'll be participating to a slight extent. I'll just be watching 20 or so episodes/films instead of my expected 100; and not posting as obsessively.
I will miss the daily hours of hanging out here. If I could pull a better Michael Keaton and have clones do my cleaning and packing I would. Any of you are invited to crash my wedding by the way, would love to meet at least one more of you someday.
And I had just gotten used to your being back from your last absence. Even if you're not watching a ton, hope you can find the time to drop in now and then and say hi.
Thanks. I'll still be here almost every day for a few minutes. But I really do have hundreds of hours of cleaning, organizing and packing to do to prepare for this big move. And that doesn't even count the wedding planning.

There's no way I'll come close to doing to the perfectly organized, everything-in-it's-proper-box, all-losable-things-dispersed-to-loving-homes move that I want to do. I'm sure I'll end up with at least 100 unorganized boxes thrown into a storage site the week after our honeymoon. But I'm going to try to do it right.

Sorry for all the off-topic rambling all, I'll stop.
Old 09-03-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on the wedding trevor never really talked with you but have gotten alot of titles thru reading ur comments during the horror challenge.

this yr im gonna go with a zombie-a-thon to start off this challenge. (prolly around 50) then move onto my unwatched pile i been stocking up for this challenge
Old 09-03-11, 12:53 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My son will be 2 months old when this starts, so I wont be able to come anywhere near my total of last year. But I'm going to attempt to watch 30 titles this year.

Congrats Trevor, I'll be joining you in a few months, I never understood when people were saying they are running out of room for movies, after having a kid and a few months away from getting married, I realize the room for your stuff gets 3rd billing.
Old 09-03-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Oh no, I've got all that stuff too. I've just been in this particular place for 15 years. So it's packed floor to ceiling with most living and walking space consumed with boxes and shelves of books and DVDs. I'm not quite Hoarders episode level, but I was getting close.
Yeah, I figured the "15 years" was probably referring to how long you'd been living where you are now.
Even better, I don't believe one has to post to be a participant. So the millions of humans who watch anything horror-related next month are unknowing participants.
I'm sure I'll be participating to a slight extent. I'll just be watching 20 or so episodes/films instead of my expected 100; and not posting as obsessively.
20 or so is more than I manage to watch in a lot the Challenges.
Thanks. I'll still be here almost every day for a few minutes. But I really do have hundreds of hours of cleaning, organizing and packing to do to prepare for this big move. And that doesn't even count the wedding planning.

There's no way I'll come close to doing to the perfectly organized, everything-in-it's-proper-box, all-losable-things-dispersed-to-loving-homes move that I want to do. I'm sure I'll end up with at least 100 unorganized boxes thrown into a storage site the week after our honeymoon. But I'm going to try to do it right.

Good luck. I've moved all my stuff a couple of times and I don't plan on ever doing it again.

Maybe you should've let your OCD make you pick 12/12/12, so you'd have more time.
Old 09-03-11, 01:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Ahh, I love the fall. This challenge is my 2nd favorite (sorry the Holiday challenge is MY favorite!) and I can't wait to go for it. I hope to watch a lot more this year.

By the way, way off topic, I do plan to post the results of last years Holiday challenge at some point before that challenge begins.
Old 09-03-11, 01:38 PM
CCS
Cool New Member

I don't think there's any way I could watch 100 in 30 days. I could have 100 on during those 30 days and see bits and pieces of them during the time, but I like to actually sit down and enjoy the movie and soak it in. So I definitely won't be trying for 100.

I've been planning a few special Halloween things to do on my blog for a while now though. I'll probably review at least 1 horror movie for every single day in October and I'm going to try to do a countdown of the best horror villains if time permits.
Old 09-03-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is a good time to give the OCD a break. Best of luck!
Old 09-03-11, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I did that the first challenge, I think but I crapped out at 97 movies. Couldn't quite get those last few in and it's been bugging me ever since.

I do have TV's at work but there's usually porn playing on them, so I might just have to do the ole' switcheroo and just bring in some DVD's for the downtime.
Old 09-03-11, 02:18 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by mallratcal
Looks like I will be fulltime at work, but I'm going to watch as many movies as I can. I love this challenge!
Dodging work to watch horror movies is half the fun for me. Most employers give more sick time than you could reasonably use legitimately without catastrophe. Netflix streaming works on my office computer. Check out a theater showing for a long lunch. Being an "adult" I miss the rebellious thrill of playing hooky so am glad to relive that somewhat through this challenge.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.