Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Kevin Smith dvd's from Shout Factory including Too Fat for 40 (Evening with 4)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Kevin Smith dvd's from Shout Factory including Too Fat for 40 (Evening with 4)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-11, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from IGN
Kevin Smith fans rejoice. The filmmaker is teaming up with Shout! Factory to bring his popular comedy special Kevin Smith: Too Fat for 40 to DVD and Blu-ray. You'll also be able to pick up the animated property SModimations from Smith and his producing partner Scott Mosier on DVD. That's more than six hours of original content featuring the cult filmmaker.

"We're pop culture fanatics here at Shout! and have been long-time fans of Kevin, Scott and SModCo," stated Shout! Factory founding partners in a press release. "It's a privilege to work with Kevin; and we look forward to combing our efforts to bring these two pop culture properties to fans. We hope this is just the start of a long and rewarding relationship."

Smith himself weighed in as well: "This is a major coup for me and SModcast because Shout Factory is the gold standard in specialized and geek-centric video. I've always oohed and ahhhed over the packaging and presentation Shout puts into all their titles, so it'll be an honor to stack the Shout Factory Too Fat for 40 and SModimations DVDs beside my Shout Factory Freaks and Geeks and SCTV box sets."

In Too Fat for 40, Smith pokes fun at his much-publicized brouhaha with Southwest Airlines and declares himself too fat for his 40th birthday in a live performance for his loyal fans. Filmed at the historic Count Basie Theater in Smith's hometown of Red Bank, New Jersey, this extended cut runs 3 1/2 hours and spotlights Smith's self-deprecating sense of humor as he shares irreverent and revealing tales of his adventures. Bonus features include an additional 90 minutes of footage from the evening and a new introduction by Smith.

SModimations features more tales from Smith and Mosier's weekly podcast, Smodcast, brought to live in animation. From the wizarding world of Harry Scotter to end of the world old-timey boxing. The complete first season of SModimations has it all. Season one has been edited into a single feature, with newly created transitions and including the exclusive third part of the Harry Scotter trilogy and additional exclusive content.

We'll have more information on these releases on IGN DVD and IGN Blu-ray when the dates are officially announced.
show samples
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWZK6S2rEGc?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWZK6S2rEGc?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V1D2HBFDL7I?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V1D2HBFDL7I?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 07-19-11, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: New Kevin Smith dvd's from Shout Factory including Too Fat for 40 (Evening with 4

Not sure about the podcasts, but I'll likely pick the Evening With.... Anymore, Kevin Smith is just a pretty good standup comedian for me, so those Evening Withs are right up my alley.
Old 07-19-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: New Kevin Smith dvd's from Shout Factory including Too Fat for 40 (Evening with 4

Agreed with the above poster regarding the podcasts. If I could get a decent price on them, I'd consider but I certainly won't go out of my way to get them. I'll definitely get Too Fat for 40 though. I saw the regular version of it and enjoyed it so an extended cut is definitely something I'm interested in.
Old 07-19-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 602 Likes on 435 Posts

Too fat was on Netflix for awhile caught it on there, I'm a big fan of these shows.
Old 07-20-11, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does the extended cut of Too Fat For 40 mean someone else actually got to ask a question?

For those who haven't seen it, Kevin Smith told all his stories just based off the first guy up at the mike.
Old 07-20-11, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I caught this somewhere on tv (might have been Netflix too), and it was a really good listen. It was funny cause I looked up the disc right after I watched it because I enjoyed it so much. Glad it is getting a release, since I have the other three, this should be an automatic.
Old 07-20-11, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just wish he would stop wearing culottes and fat man Capri length trousers.
Old 07-20-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Does the extended cut of Too Fat For 40 mean someone else actually got to ask a question?

For those who haven't seen it, Kevin Smith told all his stories just based off the first guy up at the mike.
i think i remember reading that they wanted the special to come off more like a stand up comedy performance then a q&a. If i recall, Kev did say that several people did get questions in.
Old 07-20-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i think i remember reading that they wanted the special to come off more like a stand up comedy performance then a q&a. If i recall, Kev did say that several people did get questions in.
Well if that was an intentional idea then I guess its ok.

For me, after having actually been to one of his Evening Q&A's seeing only one guy up at the mike felt almost insulting to everyone else there. Even if he was in his hometown.
Old 07-20-11, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll buy both the Evening with 4:Too Fat for 40(on Blu-Ray) and the Smodimations releases,because I am a HUGE fan of Kevin's and my iPod is filled with his multiple podcasts in his podcast-network. But I have a question. The Too Fat for 40 special is supposed to be extended to 3 and a half hours,and it lists 90 minutes of deleted material on the extras. The special on TV and Netflix was 2 hours,so is the 90 minutes extra on top of the extended special to make it 5 hours alltogether or are they listing the 90 minute extra on the new running time?
Old 07-20-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm in for Evening 4.
Old 07-20-11, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TNAJason
I'll buy both the Evening with 4:Too Fat for 40(on Blu-Ray) and the Smodimations releases,because I am a HUGE fan of Kevin's and my iPod is filled with his multiple podcasts in his podcast-network. But I have a question. The Too Fat for 40 special is supposed to be extended to 3 and a half hours,and it lists 90 minutes of deleted material on the extras. The special on TV and Netflix was 2 hours,so is the 90 minutes extra on top of the extended special to make it 5 hours alltogether or are they listing the 90 minute extra on the new running time?
i'm guessing its 3.5 hours, plus 90 min more. basically i think its the full 5 hour show.
Old 07-20-11, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to be a Kevin Smith mark but...sigh

Evening 1 was funny. But as time went on and the sequels kept coming, the decline became steeper. Somewhat similar to his movie career.
Old 07-20-11, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm getting this.

With the exception of the second Evening With, which wasn't very good, his Evening with shows on DVD are the best things he's ever done.
Old 07-20-11, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by conebone69
I used to be a Kevin Smith mark but...sigh

Evening 1 was funny. But as time went on and the sequels kept coming, the decline became steeper. Somewhat similar to his movie career.
Evening With 2 was bad, yes. But Evening With 3 was fantastic, did you see that one?

I think its just the opposite, while his movie career is declining, his live shows are just getting better.
Old 07-21-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm a big Kevin Smith fan, and I have the other Evening With DVDs, so I'll definitely grab Too Fat For 40. Not sure about the Smodimations release, though. Knowing my fanboyism (I mean hell, I went to see Cop Out at midnight, AND bought the Blu-Ray, even though it's really not that great a movie), I probably will eventually, but it's not a giant priority...
Old 07-22-11, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
I just wish he would stop wearing culottes and fat man Capri length trousers.
Agreed, but those don't bother me as much as those orange and blue hockey jerseys that he insists on wearing everytime I see him. Doesn't he know black is the best color for fat guys?
Old 07-23-11, 03:37 PM

I'm in the third row on Too Fat. The epix cut had a shitton of shots with me in it. So I'll buying that and SModimations as well.
Old 07-23-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Chadm
Evening With 2 was bad, yes. But Evening With 3 was fantastic, did you see that one?

I think its just the opposite, while his movie career is declining, his live shows are just getting better.
Didn't think Evening 3 was that great. Saw him live in October 2009 and he spent almost the entire 3 hour show answering one question, much like he reportedly does here -- if it's the story about watching that Wayne Gretzky documentary, then it's the exact same situation.

I liked Kevin before he took up weed, but from where I'm standing it's visibly dulled his wit and timing. As FilmDrunk pointed out, he now ends almost every sentence with "and shit" and he drags things out longer than he might've before, with more repetitive punchlines. The fact that he's turned his back on film in general, refuses to accept criticism, and has become an even bigger merchandising whore than he was previously (yesterday I saw he's selling designer sneakers based on quotes from SModcast -- really??) have also sort of turned me against him.

Still, Evening 1...when I would make top 100 lists years ago I would include that because it's just so funny and informative and candid and everything you could want out of a documentary that amounts to a dude telling stories.
Old 08-22-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like the release date is Oct 18 on dvd and blu. both are 2 disc sets and both run 210 min (plus extra "deleted" footage i believe)

And it looks like we might get "Evening with 5" sometime next year as Kevin is doing another Q&A/stand up special for EPIX in october

Last edited by Rypro 525; 08-22-11 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 03:46 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I liked Kevin before he took up weed, but from where I'm standing it's visibly dulled his wit and timing. As FilmDrunk pointed out, he now ends almost every sentence with "and shit" and he drags things out longer than he might've before, with more repetitive punchlines. The fact that he's turned his back on film in general, refuses to accept criticism, and has become an even bigger merchandising whore than he was previously (yesterday I saw he's selling designer sneakers based on quotes from SModcast -- really??) have also sort of turned me against him.
Etnies asked him if he would want to do a limited run of shoes, just for fun, no money being made as they make a limited amount - of course ANYONE would want their own shoe, so he said yes...its not like he went out and tried to make a ton of money off of a shoe, they do small runs for people who want them. They've cut down a large amount on doing merch, his brother wanted to go back to teaching so they shut down the online Stash, now there are only a handful of things for sale on the Smodcast site. I also don't understand that complaint, if people buy it, they obviously want it, so he creates it.

I will buy everything the man releases, he gives me so much entertainment for free and is probably one of the nicest people in the world. He also got Walt and Bry to do a podcast, which is by far the highlight of my week, every week.
Old 08-22-11, 04:59 PM

I will buy everything the man releases, he gives me so much entertainment for free and is probably one of the nicest people in the world. He also got Walt and Bry to do a podcast, which is by far the highlight of my week, every week.
Seconded. And if anyone is seeing TESD and Jay&Bob in Redbank in October, I'll see you there!
Old 09-04-11, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like Shout Factory's online store is getting an Exclusive set including the 2-Disc DVD of Too Fat for 40,SModimations Season 1 and an exclusive to this box set a Hollywood Babble On 90-Minute Video-cast. I dont know how to copy and paste the pictures of the box and all that but it can be found here..... http://www.shoutfactorystore.com/prod.aspx?pfid=5257507
Old 09-05-11, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TNAJason
Looks like Shout Factory's online store is getting an Exclusive set including the 2-Disc DVD of Too Fat for 40,SModimations Season 1 and an exclusive to this box set a Hollywood Babble On 90-Minute Video-cast. I dont know how to copy and paste the pictures of the box and all that but it can be found here..... http://www.shoutfactorystore.com/prod.aspx?pfid=5257507
Looking at the limited set, it appears that they also have another Limited set which tosses the Blu-Ray for Too Fat For 40 in along with everything else. Which frankly annoys me, since I'd like to get that set (at the very least to help support Blu-Ray sales for Shout), but wouldn't need the Too Fat For 40 DVD if I'm getting the Blu-Ray (which I'd prefer to watch).

*sigh*

Also looking at the blurb they give for Too Fat, it looks like it won't be an extended cut of the show, PLUS another 90 minutes; it looks like it'll be the same cut that aired on Epix.

Originally Posted by Shout Factory
Poking fun at his much-publicized brouhaha with Southwest Airlines, writer, director, actor and ardent podcaster Kevin Smith declares himself too fat for his 40th birthday in a hilarious Q-and-A session with his rabidly loyal fans. Filmed at the Count Basie Theater in Smith's hometown of Red Bank, New Jersey, this two-hour comedy special spotlights not only Smith's self-deprecating sense of humor, but also his fondness (and true gift) for spinning a good yarn. Part concert and part Q&A session, Too Fat For 40 finds Smith recounting tales about smoking pot with Seth Rogen, working with Bruce Willis on the critically reviled film Cop Out and more.
Old 09-05-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Looking at the limited set, it appears that they also have another Limited set which tosses the Blu-Ray for Too Fat For 40 in along with everything else. Which frankly annoys me, since I'd like to get that set (at the very least to help support Blu-Ray sales for Shout), but wouldn't need the Too Fat For 40 DVD if I'm getting the Blu-Ray (which I'd prefer to watch). *sigh*
i apologize for being slow, but is the issue that the bluray version includes both the dvd and blu and you would prefer an option where it was one or the other, and a lower price reflecting that?

Last edited by Ropes Pierre; 09-05-11 at 05:51 PM. Reason: quote spasticity

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.