DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2nd Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 02:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: 2nd Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by davidh777
Congratulations, Trevor! You had told us this was likely--exciting to hear you made it official!
Thanks! It feels wonderful. I thought the fear would set in, as I've never made an adult decision in my life until now, but so far I just feel really blessed.
Originally Posted by Pizza
Excuses, excuses.
Actually, looking at my list I was already around 50 episodes, so I can make it to 100 if I stick to mainly shorts. Had a day off from work and the girls today, so I've been watching checklist eligible items all day. I will make my goals!
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I never really got into Danger Mouse but I did stick around to watch Bananaman.
I've never really given either much of a chance, but have always meant to.
Old 08-18-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
A couple of days ago, I finished up the complete series of Danger Mouse after realizing that challenges are tailored to that sort of thing. I purchased the set quite some time ago and was slowly working my way through - sometimes watching a couple episodes each day, sometimes forgetting about it for months.

It is a show that I remember watching on Nickelodeon when I was a kid..
I never really got into Danger Mouse...
I watched this one occasionally but never really got into it much when Nickelodeon ran it. But then I, too, picked up the entire series a couple of years ago for a steal (under $10 shipped from A&E) and have only now started watching it because of the challenge. I'm finding I like it much better than what I remember, but I watch *lots* more British shows now then when this originally aired and that's got to have some impact. It's pretty good, and I really like the campiness and spoofing of spy shows and films. One thing I find very odd is how, starting with the 2nd series, it's 5 shorts strung together, opens and closes on all, to make a single 25 minute "episode" on DVD. I'm now curious as to whether or not this pattern continues to the end. I'm also happy that my grandkids like it. My granddaughter (4 1/2) asked specifically to watch this one a few days ago, the same day my grandson (8 1/2) asked to watch some Jonny Quest. Makes you proud!
Old 08-18-11, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
One thing I find very odd is how, starting with the 2nd series, it's 5 shorts strung together, opens and closes on all, to make a single 25 minute "episode" on DVD. I'm now curious as to whether or not this pattern continues to the end. I'm also happy that my grandkids like it. My granddaughter (4 1/2) asked specifically to watch this one a few days ago, the same day my grandson (8 1/2) asked to watch some Jonny Quest. Makes you proud!
Unfortunately, that format does persist for several series. However, they do return to more traditional format around Series 5 or so. I think I would have enjoyed those episodes much more if they had edited them and excluded the theme songs and closing credits. There was a lot of fast forwarding and cursing when I was watching those. I was a big fan of Jonny Quest when reruns were aired on Boomerang. They were so stylish and seemed so sophisticated and adult when I was a kid.

I never really got into Danger Mouse but I did stick around to watch Bananaman.
I love Bananaman!!! It's such fun. I was also a huge fan of Count Duckula. I found out shortly after acquiring the DM set that it was not for everyone. My sister watched an episode with me, and her response was, "Interesting. Let's watch something else."

Fooly Cooly might not have been the best watch for an anime novice. Have no idea what the heck that was.
I know! That was one of the first anime shows that I watched, and I was completely lost... I think I'm still completely lost and I've watched it several times. There is an article about the show by Bob Clark over at "Wonders in the Dark" that I found edifying. I am not allowed to post URLs, but if you go to the blog and search "FLCL" you will easily find it.
Old 08-19-11, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also enjoyed Simone.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I never really watched that show, though a friend of mine was a huge fan in high school and I remember spending the night at his house one night and we watched it for a while before throwing ourselves wholeheartedly into playing Zombies Ate My Neighbor! on his SNES.
This is so OT but I used to freaking love Zombies Ate My Neighbors back in the day too.
Old 08-19-11, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Emma311
This is so OT but I used to freaking love Zombies Ate My Neighbors back in the day too.
Genesis version here, but that game was awesome. I'll have to dig it out and introduce Elise to it.

Back on topic, I used Beuwolf for my CGI film. Underrated imo, not great, but decent take on the legend and solid action.
Old 08-19-11, 09:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ the unrated 'R' version of Beowulf is the better cut than the theatrical edit.
Old 08-19-11, 09:58 AM

^ I'm pretty sure the HD-DVD was the unrated cut, at least it seemed way too bloody and nipply for a theatrical PG-13.
Old 08-19-11, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Back on topic, I used Beuwolf for my CGI film. Underrated imo, not great, but decent take on the legend and solid action.
Originally Posted by Giles
^ the unrated 'R' version of Beowulf is the better cut than the theatrical edit.
I've never seen the theatrical cut, just the Unrated version, but thought it was a fairly good film. Much better than the "press" I'd read before viewing. I almost didn't pick it up because of the bad reviews and am glad I didn't pay much heed to them. It'll be my CGI title this year as well.
Old 08-19-11, 08:19 PM

This has probably been linked before, but perhaps it can be put into the checklist template.

Cartoons based on newspaper comic strips
Old 08-19-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wedged it in at the bottom. I think next year I'll have a "Need Help?" section for both of my challenges.
Old 08-19-11, 09:28 PM

I take it that Batman: Gotham Knight would count towards the shorts since it is 6 segments? I think it clocks in around 75 minutes total.

I'm digging the new Thundercats show. Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated might be my favorite Scooby show.
Old 08-19-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N8 Storm
I take it that Batman: Gotham Knight would count towards the shorts since it is 6 segments? I think it clocks in around 75 minutes total.

I'm digging the new Thundercats show. Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated might be my favorite Scooby show.
I would think it would count as one movie. The "6 segments" were not released independently and are interlocked to form a single flow. others may see it differently.
Old 08-19-11, 09:51 PM

I wedged it in at the bottom. I think next year I'll have a "Need Help?" section for both of my challenges.
I didn't mean for you to have to go to that much work. I would have just made the actual text in the checklist a link to that thread. You can do similar links for wiki lists of ratings, older DVDtalk posts, etc.
Old 08-19-11, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I would think it would count as one movie. The "6 segments" were not released independently and are interlocked to form a single flow. others may see it differently.
Yeah. It's really a singular film that relies on the structure of an anthology, rather than an aggregate of short films.

Superman/Shazam! The Return of Black Adam, though, would be an instance where you could easily make this argument. The titular short film is followed by the first three DCU shorts (The Spectre, Green Arrow and Jonah Hex). None of the shorts connect with one another, and each of the first three were available individually elsewhere. Also note that there are some minor differences between the versions originally released and the ones shown here; Jonah Hex is a little longer and I think there are some tweaks to Green Arrow.
Old 08-19-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated might be my favorite Scooby show.
I love that show. Easily the best Scooby since the original show. I first saw it last year during this Challenge and was immediately hooked (I still haven't caught the first episode though). It's definitely made for kids, but also for adults who grew up with the show.

Just looked at your list. Please tell me you've watched more than just the last two episodes from this season. The continuing story arc is one of the great things about the show, so it pays to watch them all.
Old 08-19-11, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I love that show. Easily the best Scooby since the original show. I first saw it last year during this Challenge and was immediately hooked (I still haven't caught the first episode though). It's definitely made for kids, but also for adults who grew up with the show.

Just looked at your list. Please tell me you've watched more than just the last two episodes from this season. The continuing story arc is one of the great things about the show, so it pays to watch them all.
I've seen them all. I had the last couple episodes DVR'ed and watched them again.
Old 08-19-11, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I DVR'ed all of this season's eps one day last month and started this month out watching the whole season (I'd seen about half of them before).

Looking at the list thread, it appears we're the only two who've watched the show.
Old 08-20-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I see it the same way.

I didn't mean for you to have to go to that much work. I would have just made the actual text in the checklist a link to that thread. You can do similar links for wiki lists of ratings, older DVDtalk posts, etc.
I started to link to it until I remember it's all fine and dandy until that thread gets archived/deleted based on however that place deals with old threads.
Old 08-20-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Seriously, Mystery Inc is that good? I just figured it was another in an endless line of Scooby spinoffs. I'll try to catch an episode. Of course the Amazon customer reviews are split between rating the show and rating the disc/volume release strategy.
Old 08-20-11, 11:26 AM

I started to link to it until I remember it's all fine and dandy until that thread gets archived/deleted based on however that place deals with old threads.
Good point. I can cut&paste the relevant parts of that thread into one post here, and that way we'll have permanent access to it, along with the ability to edit it. Only if you want, but I think links to wiki lists or our own lists in posts will look cleaner and be easier to navigate than multiple lists spoilered into the instructions or checklist. I'm assuming we'll eventually put more checklist items into similar handy links/lists, like ratings, or everything really.
Old 08-20-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd count it. If it's in the bonus or special features section, it's good.
Checked!
Old 08-20-11, 11:48 AM

Just as an example, below is the checklist spoilered with a few links to make it easier for everyone to find their limited choices.
Spoiler:

--- Title from your favorite genre(out of what's in your collection)
--- Title from your least favorite genre(out of what's in your collection)
--- Title with a favorite character - length doesn't matter
--- Title with a loathed character - length doesn't matter
--- Special feature
--- Commentary track
--- Title from the hardest to reach part of your collection - length doesn't matter
--- Title starting with ABC
--- Title starting with DEF
--- Title starting with GHI
--- Title starting with JKLM
--- Title starting with NOP
--- Title starting with QRS
--- Title starting with TUV
--- Title starting with WXYZ
--- First item alphabetically in your collection - length doesn't matter
--- Last item alphabetically in your collection - length doesn't matter
--- Oldest title(as in year made) - length doesn't matter
--- Oldest qualifying title you've bought. If you have old VHS tapes, don't forget to look there too. Format doesn't matter. - length doesn't matter
--- Newest title(as in year made) - length doesn't matter
--- Newest title you've bought - length doesn't matter
--- Finish a season or volume of a series - length doesn't matter
--- Pick an item at random. Make sure those crappy ones get an equal chance to get picked
--- Have a friend/spouse/child/dog/fish pick an item for you. No helping - length doesn't matter

Watch one item from every decade, starting with the 1900s.
--- 1900 (optional)-
--- 1910 (optional) -
--- 1920 (optional) -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Watch films in at least two languages other than English.
--- First language -
--- Second language -

Watch a film for each rating:
--- G -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- NC-17 -
--- X -
--- Unrated -

--- Watch and anime movie or series -
--- Watch a US kid's show that originally aired on Sat mornings -
--- Puppet show -
--- Mostly or all CGI -
--- Watch 90+ minutes worth of shorts (i.e Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny) -
--- Cartoon based on a newspaper comic strip -
--- Motion Comic -

These genres:
--- Superhero cartoon -
--- Comedy -
--- Adventure -
--- Fantasy -
--- SF -

Watch a movie/show made by:
--- Walt Disney -
--- Chuck Jones -
--- Ub Iwerks -
--- Ralph Bakshi -
--- Fleischer Brothers -
--- Paul Dini -
--- Tex Avery -
--- Hayao Miyazaki -

Anyway, that only took a few minutes and I just did a decade, a genre, a couple ratings, and the directors; but several other categories could be linkified easily.
Old 08-20-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I also completely agree with what you think about motion comics. I started watching the Watchmen one after reading the comic and I thought it was just awful.
I've seen a fair number of motion comics, and Watchmen suffers from having a male narrator do the female voices. One of the least-appealing ones I've seen.

I don't know the audience for these. I think I've mostly watched the free downloads, and I tend to watch them after I've read the comic. Spider-Woman I had not (still haven't resumed that one) so I don't know if that affected my experience. Or maybe I just wasn't in the mood at the time.
Old 08-20-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good point. I can cut&paste the relevant parts of that thread into one post here, and that way we'll have permanent access to it, along with the ability to edit it. Only if you want, but I think links to wiki lists or our own lists in posts will look cleaner and be easier to navigate than multiple lists spoilered into the instructions or checklist. I'm assuming we'll eventually put more checklist items into similar handy links/lists, like ratings, or everything really.
That'll be my plan for next year.

Just as an example, below is the checklist spoilered with a few links to make it easier for everyone to find their limited choices.
Spoiler:

--- Title from your favorite genre(out of what's in your collection)
--- Title from your least favorite genre(out of what's in your collection)
--- Title with a favorite character - length doesn't matter
--- Title with a loathed character - length doesn't matter
--- Special feature
--- Commentary track
--- Title from the hardest to reach part of your collection - length doesn't matter
--- Title starting with ABC
--- Title starting with DEF
--- Title starting with GHI
--- Title starting with JKLM
--- Title starting with NOP
--- Title starting with QRS
--- Title starting with TUV
--- Title starting with WXYZ
--- First item alphabetically in your collection - length doesn't matter
--- Last item alphabetically in your collection - length doesn't matter
--- Oldest title(as in year made) - length doesn't matter
--- Oldest qualifying title you've bought. If you have old VHS tapes, don't forget to look there too. Format doesn't matter. - length doesn't matter
--- Newest title(as in year made) - length doesn't matter
--- Newest title you've bought - length doesn't matter
--- Finish a season or volume of a series - length doesn't matter
--- Pick an item at random. Make sure those crappy ones get an equal chance to get picked
--- Have a friend/spouse/child/dog/fish pick an item for you. No helping - length doesn't matter

Watch one item from every decade, starting with the 1900s.
--- 1900 (optional)-
--- 1910 (optional) -
--- 1920 (optional) -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Watch films in at least two languages other than English.
--- First language -
--- Second language -

Watch a film for each rating:
--- G -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- NC-17 -
--- X -
--- Unrated -

--- Watch and anime movie or series -
--- Watch a US kid's show that originally aired on Sat mornings -
--- Puppet show -
--- Mostly or all CGI -
--- Watch 90+ minutes worth of shorts (i.e Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny) -
--- Cartoon based on a newspaper comic strip -
--- Motion Comic -

These genres:
--- Superhero cartoon -
--- Comedy -
--- Adventure -
--- Fantasy -
--- SF -

Watch a movie/show made by:
--- Walt Disney -
--- Chuck Jones -
--- Ub Iwerks -
--- Ralph Bakshi -
--- Fleischer Brothers -
--- Paul Dini -
--- Tex Avery -
--- Hayao Miyazaki -

Anyway, that only took a few minutes and I just did a decade, a genre, a couple ratings, and the directors; but several other categories could be linkified easily.
I like how it looks and I know it'll be useful.

I've seen a fair number of motion comics, and Watchmen suffers from having a male narrator do the female voices. One of the least-appealing ones I've seen.
I never made it that far into it but I do remember that complaint with a few of them. Is it really that hard to do it right and just hire a female voice?
Old 08-20-11, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seriously, Mystery Inc is that good? I just figured it was another in an endless line of Scooby spinoffs. I'll try to catch an episode. Of course the Amazon customer reviews are split between rating the show and rating the disc/volume release strategy.
Well, I don't want to over-hype it. It's not like every episode is a gem or something. And keep in mind that with the continuing story arc and new characters, if you start somewhere in the middle of this season you'll be missing part of the story.

Speaking of the endless line of Scooby spinoffs, I caught a few episodes of What's New Scooby Doo? (the previous new Scooby show, I believe) for the first time, and I hated it. What a crapfest that was. One thing I like about Mystery Incorporated is that instead of trying to update the characters, they've just embraced the fact that it's a cartoon where no-one thinks it's unusual for a dog to talk, so why should it be unusual for people to wear bell bottom pants or for a guy to wear an ascot? The Gang lives in a cool little timeless cartoon world with the internet and cellphones, a couple of intelligent talking animals, and one continuing character straight out of a blaxploitation flick.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.