DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   28 Days Later (2002) - downbeat ending (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/591658-28-days-later-2002-downbeat-ending.html)

Sylv.McCoy 06-09-11 05:48 AM

28 Days Later (2002) - downbeat ending

Hi,

imdb mentions an alternate downbeat ending which was attached to every 1400 copy of 28 Days Later.

Fox Searchlight attached an alternative downbeat ending to all 1400 US prints of the film, while it was still in U.S. release. The revised ending was the one that appeared in the original script, but the script's ending was ditched in favor of a happy ending after it did not test well. Director Danny Boyle decided "We can't do this to people, because it was such a tough journey anyway."
Alternate versions for 28 Days Later... (2002)

The US widescreen special edition features three alternate endings.Is this downbeat ending included in the special edition or is it worth to look out for this rare copy?!

best regards
Sylvester

kd5 06-09-11 07:47 AM

Re: 28 Days Later (2002) - downbeat ending

Frankly, I was not aware they only did this for 1400 copies, I assumed they were all made like that. I have one of the 1400 copies, don't want to spoil it by telling you about the downbeat ending. We watched it once, preferred the upbeat ending after all they'd already been through (agree with Danny Boyle there). It would be interesting to be able to see the alternate endings but I suspect after you see them once, you'll have your own favorite and probably never watch the others again. -kd5-

Mr. Salty 06-09-11 08:09 AM

It wasn't on 1,400 DVD copies of the film. The story posted by the OP says 1,400 prints of the film, which means it was in the theatrical release, not DVD.

Steve 06-09-11 08:43 AM

wasn't all this discussed in detail on the special features of the DVD? I don't have the disc anymore, but I remember I liked the alternate downbeat ending better....

Groucho 06-09-11 09:10 AM

It's on the DVD.

Sylv.McCoy 06-09-11 11:28 AM

Allright'y, thanks for clearing that up.So i'm going for the SE now.Thanks!

BR

manicsounds 06-10-11 05:09 AM

you're reading it incorrectly. Not EVERY 1400 prints, ALL 1400 prints.

I remember when this happened theatrically:

The movie was released in the US with the theatrical ending, (the "HELP" ending.) But 28 days after the release, Fox decided to add the alternate ending to the theatrical print.

The movie goes as normally with the "HELP" ending, and after the closing credits, "But what if..." shows up on the screen, with the alternate 'downbeat' ending.

Most people didn't know about this ending when I went to see it, so many started leaving during the credits.... too bad for them.

Sylv.McCoy 06-10-11 05:35 AM

Okay.

Which of the alternate endings from the widescreen special edition was shown after the credits?There are two sad endings from what i've read and one scripted storyboard ending.

best regards
Sylvester

majorjoe23 06-10-11 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sylv.McCoy (Post 10811386)
Okay.

Which of the alternate endings from the widescreen special edition was shown after the credits?There are two sad endings from what i've read and one scripted storyboard ending.

best regards
Sylvester

The actual live action ending, not the storyboarded version.