Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

May 2011 Make-Your-Own Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: May 2011 Make-Your-Own Challenge Discussion Thread

So I've finished my Homicide journey and I have to say that it's even more satisfying the second or third time around. Especially when you get to the last three seasons, and you know how everything ends, it's even more suspenseful to watch everything unravel. I'm still pissed at the movie. I know exactly why the writers did what they did from a story and a practical standpoint but I'm still unhappy about it.

After being knee-deep in death, I need to find something happy to watch!
Old 05-16-11, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
So I've finished my Homicide journey and I have to say that it's even more satisfying the second or third time around. Especially when you get to the last three seasons, and you know how everything ends, it's even more suspenseful to watch everything unravel.
I always liked Reed Diamond as Kellerman, but man they just never gave that guy a fair shake. He was Drama Central from day 1 and it became exasperating just watching him at times.

As for me, I had another rough night and after my last post around midnight I went back to bed and watched the Superman 50th Anniversary TV special (it's a bonus feature on the 2-disc Superman II DVD). Pretty lame, but I dig the segments with Hal Holbrook playing himself, playing a one-man play called "An Evening with Superman." I would actually go see that play if it was real.

Now I'm in pain and hoping Ghost World helps augment the Tylenol. I first watched this for last year's Make-Your-Own Challenge and fell in love with it.
Old 05-16-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

When you decide on a theme is it locked in for the duration of the challenge or can you modify it? I was wondering because I just came up with an idea to add some variety to my theme, adding GoLion to my documentary challenge to get in a little anime before the animation challenge.
Old 05-16-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
When you decide on a theme is it locked in for the duration of the challenge or can you modify it? I was wondering because I just came up with an idea to add some variety to my theme, adding GoLion to my documentary challenge to get in a little anime before the animation challenge.
I've got GoLion on my pile. I watched the first disc for the TV on DVD challenge in January. I wanted to continue it for my current Japanese TV challenge, but now I'm thinking of saving it for the Sci-Fi challenge. Choices...choices...choices...
Old 05-16-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You mean you didn't write into your challenge rules that you reserve the right to revise them as you see fit?
Old 05-16-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I've got GoLion on my pile. I watched the first disc for the TV on DVD challenge in January. I wanted to continue it for my current Japanese TV challenge, but now I'm thinking of saving it for the Sci-Fi challenge. Choices...choices...choices...
You can always defer until the Animation Challenge in August.
Old 05-16-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Ok, I've revised the rules of my challenge to include Japanese movies and tv shows as well as documentaries. Nothing but documentaries was getting kind of dull.
Old 05-16-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Ok, I've revised the rules of my challenge to include Japanese movies and tv shows as well as documentaries. Nothing but documentaries was getting kind of dull.
It's your Challenge, so go ahead and change it if you want. I don't think anyone will care if you add something to it, or drop out something you're not likely to get to. And since today is the midpoint of the Challenge, it'd be a good time to make modifications.
Old 05-16-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had weekly challenges last year and then midway through, changed it to something else. I just found something new and exciting I'd rather watch.
Old 05-16-11, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seriously doubt I am going to make my goal for this challenge. I am a little behind but am in the process of moving and things are getting tougher as I start running out of time with the packing and all. Still, I am trying to squeeze in what I can. I have enjoyed the one degree of separation theme as it gives a pretty good range of movies to choose from (so far) which is what I wanted.
Old 05-17-11, 07:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Last, I hate to admit that Airplane! is on my "What, you haven't seen _______?" list.
This should be near the top of your must rectify list.
Originally Posted by lisadoris
So I've finished my Homicide journey and I have to say that it's even more satisfying the second or third time around.
I'm quite jealous. Loved Homicide as it aired, think it may eventually top my "best tv series ever" list, but fell behind and meant to catch up once it hit DVD. Have meant to marathon through it from the beginning for years now, but keep putting it off. Need to fix that.
Old 05-17-11, 10:39 AM

My "short seasons" challenge has been mainly unseen comedies so far, and I've found some gems.

I've already mentioned how much fun Jeeves & Wooster is, really captures the spirit of the Wodehouse books, which are amongst my favorite literature.

The League surprised me, very funny, sort of similar to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia humor. You might have to be a fantasy football to truly love it though. It's a bit too dirty for me probably, but I might watch it again.

The six part documentary, Monty Python: Almost the Truth was very well done, whetting my appetite for a future sketch comedy marathon.

My gem of the year so far is the UK series The IT Crowd. Insanely funny imo, and it all streams on Netflix if anyone wants to check it out.
Old 05-17-11, 10:40 AM

My "short seasons" challenge has been mainly unseen comedies so far, and I've found some gems.

I've already mentioned how much fun Jeeves & Wooster is, really captures the spirit of the Wodehouse books, which are amongst my favorite literature.

The League surprised me, very funny, sort of similar to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia humor. You might have to be a fantasy football to truly love it though. It's a bit too dirty for me probably, but I might watch it again.

The six part documentary, Monty Python: Almost the Truth was very well done, whetting my appetite for a future sketch comedy marathon.

My gem of the year so far is the UK series The IT Crowd. Insanely funny imo, and it all streams on Netflix if anyone wants to check it out.
Old 05-17-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last night we streamed Barb Wire from Netflix. My wife had seen it years ago, but I still hadn't gotten to it. She was surprised that I actually enjoyed it. I saw it as a remake of Casablanca, by way of Escape from New York. It's fun and never tries to be anything more than what it is: unapologetic violence and exploitative fun. Plus it's got Udo Kier. What's not to enjoy?

After that we watched a pair of episodes of Dick Tracy ("Dick Tracy and Flat-Top" and "Hijack"). I wish I had the entire series instead of six sporadic episodes because it's hard to fully judge the show that way. The episodes I've seen have been kinda "meh."

I'm having a rough flare so I was still up late last night and then I got to the second commentary on Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Producer Ari Avad seems genial, but his few remarks are entirely superfluous. The rest of it, though, was terrific. Where Tim Story practically claimed credit for everything he liked and didn't comment on much else, the remarks from co-writer Don Payne, as well as co-editors William Hoy & Peter S. Elliot brutally address the failures of the film--notably the visual effects company and the meddling of studio executives who were more concerned with creating a Silver Surfer spin-off, gags and merchandise than with allowing this film to be developed as it deserved.
Old 05-17-11, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Changed my challenge to Star Trek: The Next Generation. Couldn't really get myself started into G.I. Joe at the moment.
Old 05-17-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trevor, the second season of The League is 1000x funnier than the first season. You should check it out when it hits DVD this September.
Old 05-17-11, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm currently taking a break from "serious" movie serials with a few Rocky and Bullwinkle "serials". These are pretty cool when skipping the other stuff. Don't get me wrong, I *love* "Fractured Fairy Tales", "Aesop and Son", and "Dudley Doright", (not too keen on "Mr. Peabody") but I've never watched the R&B "serials" outside the other material. It's a real hoot!
Old 05-18-11, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by kstublen
Trevor, the second season of The League is 1000x funnier than the first season. You should check it out when it hits DVD this September.
Wow, that first season was insanely hilarious. I'm trying to get away from "dirty" humor though, as it's looking like I'm about to get married and inherit a kid. Maybe I'll have to keep it on the high shelf with It's Always Sunny, my HBO series, and 'art-house' Criterions.
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm currently taking a break from "serious" movie serials with a few Rocky and Bullwinkle "serials". These are pretty cool when skipping the other stuff. Don't get me wrong, I *love* "Fractured Fairy Tales", "Aesop and Son", and "Dudley Doright", (not too keen on "Mr. Peabody") but I've never watched the R&B "serials" outside the other material. It's a real hoot!
Did they ever finish the series? Remember loving the first couple DVD releases. I think of R&B as one of those series that kids can enjoy, and adults appreciate even more.
Old 05-18-11, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm trying to get away from "dirty" humor though, as it's looking like I'm about to get married and inherit a kid.
Sounds terrific! Maybe the most positive thing happening to anyone in this community these days, unless you count the guy who managed to trade in promo DVDs to Best Buy this past week for $5 Blu-ray coupons. He was awfully excited about that.
Old 05-18-11, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

This should be near the top of your must rectify list.
Totally! The dumb thing is that I have a DVD sitting right there, and I'm sure it's not that long. My "free" watching mostly goes to challenges these days, but perhaps I can watch it with the wife.

Wow, that first season was insanely hilarious. I'm trying to get away from "dirty" humor though, as it's looking like I'm about to get married and inherit a kid.
Congrats, Trevor!
Old 05-18-11, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
unless you count the guy who managed to trade in promo DVDs to Best Buy this past week for $5 Blu-ray coupons. He was awfully excited about that.
That was pretty sweet. I'm thinking about trying something similar actually.
Totally! The dumb thing is that I have a DVD sitting right there, and I'm sure it's not that long. My "free" watching mostly goes to challenges these days, but perhaps I can watch it with the wife.
I know the feeling. I used to feel guilty or even refuse to watch anything that didn't fit a Challenge. I've switched gears a bit and am doing more personal New Year's resolutions this year and less focus on the Challenges, but the 'restrictions' still feel palpable. I've tried to minimize them by making general and fun resolutions though, so this year has been less stressful when it comes to my DVD addiction.
Sounds terrific! Maybe the most positive thing happening to anyone in this community these days,
Congrats, Trevor!
Thanks! It's pretty wonderful and amazing, but I'm also scared crapless. I've pretty much never made an adult decision my entire life, so I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm not much of an "otter", but perhaps I'll start a thread in Other to share my confusion.
Old 05-18-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was pretty sweet. I'm thinking about trying something similar actually.
Well, if you do just keep it under your hat because you'll be burned at the stake for violating the "obvious intention" of the promotion by even encouraging, much less trying, to trade in promos.

Thanks! It's pretty wonderful and amazing, but I'm also scared crapless. I've pretty much never made an adult decision my entire life, so I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm not much of an "otter", but perhaps I'll start a thread in Other to share my confusion.
We celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary in January. My only real advice is to remember that your relationship is yours alone. It's built on the dynamics shared between you and your gal (and, you know, your gal's kid). Just explore those dynamics and don't try to apply a paradigm of anyone else's marriage to your relationship. You'll do just fine.
Old 05-18-11, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds terrific! Maybe the most positive thing happening to anyone in this community these days, unless you count the guy who managed to trade in promo DVDs to Best Buy this past week for $5 Blu-ray coupons. He was awfully excited about that.
This doesn't happen much but a big
Old 05-18-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that first season was insanely hilarious. I'm trying to get away from "dirty" humor though, as it's looking like I'm about to get married and inherit a kid. Maybe I'll have to keep it on the high shelf with It's Always Sunny, my HBO series, and 'art-house' Criterions.
Congrats man!

But yeah, the second season is much funnier, but also much, [I]much[/I ]raunchier, so you'll definitely have to be careful.

Old 05-18-11, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

...Did they ever finish the series? Remember loving the first couple DVD releases. I think of R&B as one of those series that kids can enjoy, and adults appreciate even more.
Yes, Season 5 was released March 29th of this year!

I'm in the middle of "Upsidaisium". I'd have finished it today but I'm watching it with my grandson (age 7) and promised I'd wait until he can sit with me for the finish. He *really* likes it and I like it *much* better than I did when I was his age. I tried R&B on him a couple of years ago but he didn't care for it much. Happily, that's changed! He gets a kick out of the "Be sure to join us next time for xxx or xxx". He'll pick the one he thinks will happen while I'm attempting to explain they both pretty much mean the same thing plus explain the puns. He'll get it in a couple of years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.